Gideon's Bakehouse coming to Disney Springs

jaklgreen

Owner was saving on labor costs. When staff go on vacation or have sick pay, only had to pay them $9 per hour. Tips don't factor in.
That is assuming the person works full time and gets paid vacations. Most of these places don't give part time employees paid vacation time. And they are very stingy with hiring full time. Places rather hire 2 at part time to save on benefits. So if you are sick and need to stay home, you don't get paid.

Lilofan

Everyone agrees with that. Except business owners who build use tipping for counter service as an excuse to pay employees less than they need to afford to live in the area the business is in. So, if you want changes to tipping culture supporting employee movements like this are what you should be supporting. Tipping in general as an obligation just basically stems from employers not paying their employees enough and passing that burden onto customers.
Tipping is something I'm looking for in the check dining in. At times when automatic gratuity gets added to our party the restaurant tries to be slick by adding another line item saying gratuity when I get the bill to sign from the server. I write a big X on that line. I'm no fool to tip 2x but some dining locations still do this practice.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Tipping is something I'm looking for in the check dining in. At times when automatic gratuity gets added to our party the restaurant tries to be slick by adding another line item saying gratuity when I get the bill to sign from the server. I write a big X on that line. I'm no fool to tip 2x but some dining locations still do this practice.
That extra line is if you want to give more than the auto-gratuity. So, if it's 18%, you might want to make it 20% or 25%.

I'm surprised you don't cross out the auto-gratuity also.

Lilofan

That extra line is if you want to give more than the auto-gratuity. So, if it's 18%, you might want to make it 20% or 25%.

I'm surprised you don't cross out the auto-gratuity also.
Auto gratuity is written in black and white on the menu for X amount in your party , before you order. I don't question that. Have you seen that also?

Lilofan

That is assuming the person works full time and gets paid vacations. Most of these places don't give part time employees paid vacation time. And they are very stingy with hiring full time. Places rather hire 2 at part time to save on benefits. So if you are sick and need to stay home, you don't get paid.
The dining locations in my tourist area hiring part time are servers making $1K per week or more working 24 hours a week ( ie family ). Boss doesn't want to put them on full time w/ benefits. The food kiosks in town employ full time anywhere from 35 or more hours where they get paid barely above min wage and has that familiar cash tip jar by the cash register.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Auto gratuity is written in black and white on the menu for X amount in your party , before you order. I don't question that. Have you seen that also?
Never mind. My apologies. I was thinking that auto-gratuities could be declined. That used to be the case, but IRS now defines auto-gratuities as mandatory fees.

FettFan

For those who haven't done so, I would suggest reading the full letter.

Here are just a few "highlights."

"There is an odor most foul in the Bakehouse. It is the stench of the fish rotting from the head."

"Now, we, the collective, have banded together to deliver this tome- not as a warning of what is to come, but as a final demand to resolve the issues outlined herein. Make no mistake, if the following solutions are not implemented with immediate effect, we will do everything in our power to topple this cookie castle permanently."

"How dare you drag the entire workforce to a 9AM meeting, demanding our presence, and then talk directly at us with the most mundane drivel we’ve ever heard. Do not call us in for a mandatory meeting again when the points can be covered in an email..."

"Through our vast, and well connected network [of social media, gov. health agencies, Disney Springs management]... steps have already been implemented... these competent bodies are awaiting our word."

"like we’re trapped on an 1800’s plantation- working for the big house."

When a letter like this is written with the overwrought, melodramatic pretentiousness of a petulant teenager, where everything is a threatening, non-negotiable "demand" that must be implemented "immediately"... or else, and it includes things like comparing their situation to slaves working in the "big house" on a plantation, it makes it very hard to take them seriously. They even have a paragraph that essentially reads, "our parents are very important people." Many of their demands are also unrealistic or unreasonable.

Like someone posted above, it's so poorly and unprofessionally written that it almost reads like a parody.

Brian

Interesting. If what he says is true, the 'Ghosts of Gideons' is one person who does not work for his company.

I think it's safe to say that at this rate, the smear campaign failed.

_caleb

Interesting. If what he says is true, the 'Ghosts of Gideons' is one person who does not work for his company.

I think it's safe to say that at this rate, the smear campaign failed.
We've all seen "Disney Forced to Close The Ride based on Walt's Most Racist Movie!" clickbait. Imagine all the posts, vlogs, and lists that are going to gossip about Gideon's as a homophobic cookie sweatshop for the next several years.

Brian

We've all seen "Disney Forced to Close The Ride based on Walt's Most Racist Movie!" clickbait. Imagine all the posts, vlogs, and lists that are going to gossip about Gideon's as a homophobic cookie sweatshop for the next several years.
Clickbait will be clickbait, but I don't think it would move the needle with the visiting public, especially considering how these claims remain unsubstantiated, and upon examination of the limited evidence available and the company's prior public statements and campaigns, it's more than plausible that LGBT-related allegations are false.

JAB

Clickbait will be clickbait, but I don't think it would move the needle with the visiting public, especially considering how these claims remain unsubstantiated, and upon examination of the limited evidence available and the company's prior public statements and campaigns, it's more than plausible that LGBT-related allegations are false.
Exactly. What's more likely; that Disney and RCID let Gideon's build and operate a space that wasn't fully in compliance with their strict building and safety requirements, or that some anonymous person on the internet was throwing around unfounded hyperbole about the kitchen being a "deathtrap?" The whole thing seemed sketchy from the start.

jaklgreen

Here's a much longer response from Steve, owner of Gideon's Bakehouse. Use the > on the right to move through the slides.

I disagree with him about the wages. I have been "in the business" for 35 years, working at plenty of these types of counter service jobs. Not a single one paid server wages, meaning under minimum wage even though they accepted tips. This is him just taking advantage of the law and we all know that it was meant for those who serve tables, not just anyone with a tip jar or that has a tipping option on the receipt.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I disagree with him about the wages. I have been "in the business" for 35 years, working at plenty of these types of counter service jobs. Not a single one paid server wages, meaning under minimum wage even though they accepted tips. This is him just taking advantage of the law and we all know that it was meant for those who serve tables, not just anyone with a tip jar or that has a tipping option on the receipt.
I might not be close close to them or anything, but I've known a couple people who've worked at Gideons who left because of the pay. High stress for the crowds, inconsistent pay because of tips, and all to barely make as much as CPs most of the time.

A lot of the other complaints either weren't backed up by what I've heard from them or were well blown out of proportion. But the pay being so low and so dependant on tips is a very legitimate issue and like you say, not the industry standard as he claims.

It just puts the burden on guests to now feel obligated to tip in role where tips shouldn't be expected. And punishes the cast if those tips don't come in

UNCgolf

It just puts the burden on guests to now feel obligated to tip in role where tips shouldn't be expected. And punishes the cast if those tips don't come in

I don't think this should be a tipped position, but it doesn't really punish them if the tips don't come in -- if an employee doesn't receive enough in tip money to hit the minimum wage, the employer is required to make up the difference.

They can't legally make less than the minimum wage.

Lilofan

Owner is not taking advantage of the law as you described. He was following the law , $9 per hour plus tips.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom