GF DVC Site Plan?

mrssparrow

we also bought into SSR a few years back for two reasons:
The price and the incentive of an extra year of points.

We have since stayed there once (this past January for a night - last minute).

We will likely hop around to different resorts to add flavor to our trips.

When we bought into DVC, we were offered SSR, BLT, and AKL. AKL's fees were high b/c of the vet costs incorporated into the price and BLT's costs were high due to location. Since we plan our trips about 8 months out, we have no need to get the 11 month pre-plan time guarantee. We have never been denied on the dates we want.

Pioneer Hall

we also bought into SSR a few years back for two reasons:
The price and the incentive of an extra year of points.

We have since stayed there once (this past January for a night - last minute).

We will likely hop around to different resorts to add flavor to our trips.

When we bought into DVC, we were offered SSR, BLT, and AKL. AKL's fees were high b/c of the vet costs incorporated into the price and BLT's costs were high due to location. Since we plan our trips about 8 months out, we have no need to get the 11 month pre-plan time guarantee. We have never been denied on the dates we want.

Location wouldn't have an affect on dues, since they are just costs associated with upkeep, management, and maintenance. BLT's dues are the lowest of any property right now at $3.8943 per point (I reread this and realized it can come off somewhat condescending over the internet...please don't take it that way).

DVC Annual Maintenance and Tax charges for 2011

BEACH CLUB VILLA $5.2751

BOARDWALK $5.4552

WILDERNESS $5.3430

HILTON HEAD $5.6758

OLD KEY WEST $4.9825

SARATOGA SPR $4.5123

VERO $6.7760

ANIMAL KINGDOM $5.0143

BAY LAKE TOWERS $3.8943

GRAND CAL $4.0701

AULANI $4.3071

tecowdw

I own at both AKL and VWL. I love them both but for different reasons.

I like VWL for the theming and location - 5 stars! I like AKL(Kidani) for the huge rooms and Jambo for it's "value" point level - 4 stars! If I could have the size of the AKL villas at the VWL, I'd be a very ecstatic member!!

Drawbacks for Kidani is lack of dining options and it is sooo far from everything (awful long bus ride to the MK). Jambo gets a strike for having the shower part of the jacuzzi (too high of a step for older people).

I bought AKL because they were selling that or SSR at the time. VWL would have been my first choice but they had zero incentives for it while AKL's were quite significant! SSR is just plain "blah" to me.

Ironically, except for when booking in the 8-11 month window at a home resort, I've had numerous stays at my least favorite DVC resort - SSR. Often times it has been the only resort available when I've booked. It's not that I hate the place but it is such a ho-hum place for me. I'm not fond of the theming and the resort is so large. Last week I was there and got a villa way out by the guard shack. What a hike to the lobby! :( Not so fond of the dining options either. I can usually count on availability at last minute though! ;)

Now - build a DVC resort at the Poly with Kidani sized villas and I'm selling all of my current home points to buy-in there!!!
:p
(of course, they'd probably be expensive like BLT nights are)

toolsnspools

My kids (8, 10 and 12) were just old enough to to understand with one warning. "See that glass door? If you come barging in here while I'm showering ... :eek: "

Didn't have a problem. :lol:

Computer Magic

I was disappointed with what WDW did with AKL and specifically Kidani. I just feel it ruined what Jambo was when built in 2001. If they do the same to GF, I feel it will ruin that resort as well. This is about design and not the fact it was turned in a DVC. In fact, I once considered DVC around 2005. These are the reason I don't like what WDW did to AKL

1. Buses became worst. The bus stops at both location and can be full by the time you board. I wish they would invest in a boat ride to AKL. Transporation isn't that good.
  2. Kidani pool is located in a poor location. You have to walk down the public area to reach the pool.
  3. The general store is too small.
  4. I don't like the check-in at Kidani
  5. The rooms are spreaout too far. I hear that is for a better view of the Savannah, but it a pain after a long day.
I know this is only my opinion but I did enjoy AKL before it added a seperate building.

Pioneer Hall

I was disappointed with what WDW did with AKL and specifically Kidani. I just feel it ruined what Jambo was when built in 2001. If they do the same to GF, I feel it will ruin that resort as well. This is about design and not the fact it was turned in a DVC. In fact, I once considered DVC around 2005. These are the reason I don't like what WDW did to AKL

1. Buses became worst. The bus stops at both location and can be full by the time you board. I wish they would invest in a boat ride to AKL. Transporation isn't that good.
  2. Kidani pool is located in a poor location. You have to walk down the public area to reach the pool.
  5. The rooms are spreaout too far. I hear that is for a better view of the Savannah, but it a pain after a long day.
I know this is only my opinion but I did enjoy AKL before it added a seperate building.

1. I have to disagree with this point. I think that the bus situation at Kidani was one of the best I have dealt with. Buses came frequently and were never overly crowded as I experienced numerous times at the MK or Epcot resort areas. The routes are quicker than people make them out to be too. From Kidani to MK was 14 minutes when I timed it which is really no different than the Epcot area with all it's stops.

2. I agree with the pool, I am not a fan of the location. However, I believe there is another way to access it besides going through the main area, but it is still out of the way.

3. The store is a bit small, and I would like there to be a few more options. To me it isn't the biggest deal in the world since I wouldn't really be doing the majority of my shopping there.

4. I guess this is subjective. If you look earlier in the thread I had a great experience checking in where I was greeted by name at the door when I stepped off the bus.

5. The rooms can be a distance from the lobby and transportation. However, rooms at Wilderness Lodge, Yacht, Beach, and others have enormous hallways as well. If you are staying in Beach Club room 1501 close to Epcot you have a nice long walk back after visiting any park other than Epcot.

tecowdw

1. Buses became worst. The bus stops at both location and can be full by the time you board. I wish they would invest in a boat ride to AKL. Transpiration isn't that good.
  5. The rooms are spreadout too far. I hear that is for a better view of the Savannah, but it a pain after a long day.
I know this is only my opinion but I did enjoy ADK before it added the DVC.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say DVC ruined AKL but I would agree on several of your points.

The transportation only being a bus can really suck, especially if you are at Jambo. Kidani and Jambo need separate bus lines since there is no other alternative method. Some of the longest lines at the park bus stops I've been in have been for the AKL bus!

The Kidani pool, while nice, is strange getting too. I would not like rooms near that main walkway! People shouldn't have to walk through the lobby in bathing suits and towels.

The store is indeed small - not much more I can say about it really.

I have no issues with check-in other than it can be crowded at busy times (due to the size) and I don't feel the rooms are any more spread out than Jambo. You get a room at the end of the farthest wing in Jambo and it's also a long hike at the end of a day!

Let's not forget that they have made or will make several improvements to Kidani since it opened though. There was no covered walkway to the bus depot at first or over the last bus station (and boy was that cruddy on rainy days). They have announced that improvements will be made to the walkway from Kidani to Jambo later this year (although I have no idea what). I'm sure there's been others and hopefully, over time, other improvements will be forthcoming.

Computer Magic

Let's not forget that they have made or will make several improvements to Kidani since it opened though. There was no covered walkway to the bus depot at first or over the last bus station (and boy was that cruddy on rainy days). They have announced that improvements will be made to the walkway from Kidani to Jambo later this year (although I have no idea what). I'm sure there's been others and hopefully, over time, other improvements will be forthcoming.
I really hope they improve the walk from Kidani to Jambo. I not only recieved a sun bun on the walk but thought for sure I was going to get run over.

What happen to the days of getting right the first time? Especially with Disney who is suppose to be above the rest. It like throw it in and then add the bells and whistle.

I see the GF DVC being treated the same way as they did AKL.

mrssparrow

I was almost certain that the dues was higher at blt when we bought. I was almost certain of that. But I totally didn't take it bad. We didn't care where we bought into because we planned on hopping around and using it in that manner

fyn

I was almost certain that the dues was higher at blt when we bought. I was almost certain of that. But I totally didn't take it bad. We didn't care where we bought into because we planned on hopping around and using it in that manner

I haven't bought DVC yet, but the way BLT dues were explained to us was that roof replacement was the main driving factor of maintenance dues, and BLT won't require it (either at all, or a fraction of what the other resorts would require).

PalisadesPkteer

Am curious as to weather or not OKW is sold out or not.

Sounds like SSR will never sell out especially if they keep building new DVC's.

Kidani and Jambo will be OK because they are at AKL and because of the Animal viewing perk will sell eventually.

_Scar

Since I usually now rent through DVC, this will actually give me an opportunity to stay at the GF (my favorite hotel at WDW). GF is just way too expensive even with FL discounts to stay here for a good period of time. & My future career goal is to manage a hotel and GF is my dream job, so it'll be really great to finally stay here instead of just visiting from another hotel. :)

So, yay DVC! I think this is a great addition.

carolina_yankee

Kidani and Jambo will be OK because they are at AKL and because of the Animal viewing perk will sell eventually.

OKW sold out years ago. SSR sold out and then got new points wi the THV expansion. They'll eventually sell out since the THVs are a popular booking category.

The only resorts available for original purchase are SSR, AKV, BLT, and Aulani. There may still be some Grand Californian points, but I'm not sure.

The sold-out resorts are available, but usually through a waiting list. Someone wants points, DVC ROFRs a resale contract, and then resells those points to the waitlisted customer at a premium.

Dirk

bgraham34

I had no problems last year buying points at OKW. I already was a member with points at VWL. You can always call and ask if there are points available at a sold out resort. You can still buy them if they are available.

dreamfinder

The sold-out resorts are available, but usually through a waiting list. Someone wants points, DVC ROFRs a resale contract, and then resells those points to the waitlisted customer at a premium.

One of their most ingenious clauses in the contract. People who don't know that you can buy points via the secondary market buy from Disney for well over what they could have paid on the secondary. It will be interesting to see how the recent changes in secondary sales will affect the ROFRs.

I had no problems last year buying points at OKW. I already was a member with points at VWL. You can always call and ask if there are points available at a sold out resort. You can still buy them if they are available.

Most likely through ROFR. I would wager you paid $100 or more per point, for points that Disney bought back at $60-70 per point.

carolina_yankee

One of their most ingenious clauses in the contract. People who don't know that you can buy points via the secondary market buy from Disney for well over what they could have paid on the secondary. It will be interesting to see how the recent changes in secondary sales will affect the ROFRs.
There are advantages to buying through Disney, but the resale market is definitely the way to go for the best price.

Most likely through ROFR. I would wager you paid $100 or more per point, for points that Disney bought back at $60-70 per point.

I think the Disney resale prices are in the high '80s for most resorts and mid to high '90s for Beach Club. However, for an OKW contract, Disney may have paid in the $50s.

Dirk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom