Getting to the Autotrain

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Hey all...
So Slappette & I are contemplating doing the Amtrak Autotrain from Virginia to Sanford (to nip in the bud all the dilholes who always feel the need to pipe in with "I can't see why ANYONE wouldn't fly" horse crap: Slappette hates to fly, and Slapperina will be less than 5 months old when we go, too young for flu shots, and we'll be going at the beginning of flu season; plus, babies on planes are prone to bad ear infections that'll make them miserable for weeks. So, we're ground-bound. There. Now you know. And knowing is half the battle). We'll probably only do the train down, then drive back home, though if we wind up enjoying the Autotrain (and if we have the money, and if Amtrak has the space) we could conceivably take it round-trip.

For those who've taken it, I've got quesitons that involve getting to the train station. Considering how bad I-95 can be throughout the day, can anyone tell me if it's worth taking the side route through 301 to avoid DC traffic? Or is that more trouble then it's worth? We have sirius in the car, which gives us a DC traffic channel, so I can kinda decide on the fly, but I wouldn't mind just planning the trip down 301, if there are any recommendations.

We'd probably leave NJ around 8am, so even with a stop for diaper changes and the potential for traffic, we'd probably get to the station at 1:00-1:30 (mapquest anticipates a 4 hour nonstop drive). Sound right too any seasoned travelers? And if that's when we arrive, anyone have any suggestions for a lunch spot? Are there places to eat in the station, or should we just eat near enough to get there before the cutoff time of 3pm?

Thanks in advance for any info any of you can provide.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
I know this is obnoxious, but I also know this is one subforum that's visited much less than so many of the others.

So...bump!

yankspy

I know this is obnoxious, but I also know this is one subforum that's visited much less than so many of the others.

So...bump!
You should be okay if you are leaving at 8:00 A.M. if it is a weekday. I would avoid 301 unless you find that there is bad traffic which there should not be. 301 is a little out of the way. The only thing I would suggest is take 895 in Baltimore instead of taking the Ft. Mchenry tunnel. That can get backed up. 895 meets up again with 95 after Baltimore. I am not sure about places to eat at the station but there are plenty in that neighborhood. 4 hours does sound a little long but I guess that depends on where in Jersey you are leaving from. I can usually make N.Y. in about 4 hours and that is driving at almost normal speeds. I live about ten miles south of the train station and I am originally from N.Y. so I am very familar with this drive. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

DormaNesbit

Hi Slappy, another Jersey person here. My mother-in-law lives in VA so we make the trip alot. We like to leave at the 5am time on weekends so we miss the weekend traffic. We leave even earlier during the week to miss the commuter traffic. If we get to Fredericksburg by 5 or 6 am we will go to IHOP and eat before trying to wake mother-in-law up. See what is around the Amtrack station and see if you leave very early what you can do before it's time to board the train. Another tip is sometimes after the Baltimore Tunnel and there is still traffic we jump on the BWI and take that down and then rejoin 95 S in the inner loop and then the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. These are just our suggestions, but I hope they help.

disneyfan56

We took the Auto Train in October 2003 leaving from NJ, too.

Traffic on I-95 wasn't a problem. There was a line of cars once we pulled up to the station. But nothing significant. For lunch, there is a little cafe inside the station. We really didn't wander around the town once we found the station, we had brought lunch with us.

Now for the ride itself. We had a difficult ride down, as we just had seats. Even though they recline, it still wasn't a good sleep. Even my husband who can sleep standing up had trouble staying asleep. We had 2 kids with us, ages 12&13, who had no trouble at all sleeping.

The train itself is interesting. Carrying an infant through the cars could be challenging. The train rocks and we needed 2 hands to steady ourselves at all times. Walking from car to car can also be a challenge, as you have to step over from one car to the next with the cars swaying and rocking.
You need to change cars to get to the dining car or the bathrooms, so staying in one place isn't an option, unless you don't eat or elimate.

Bathrooms are downstairs, so if you are on the upper level, there is a small staircase leading down. Again with an infant could be tricky. It was fun in the middle of the night finding my way to the bathroom, let me tell ya.

I would suggest a baby sling to carry your child around on the train, just for safety sake.

It wasn't horrible, but my husband swore we would never do it again. There were moments when we were going through all the small towns that I thought it was really cool.

But driving back from FL with an infant also has it challenges. Did that too. i rather drive sharp sticks into both eyes than do that again.

Good luck!

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, all...

If we do this at all (and it looks more certain than before, at least one-way), we will get a bedroom unit as opposed to just coach seats. It'll give us the privacy necessary to breastfeed, and while I doubt that the bedrooms are soundproof :) it will afford us a little bit of isolation if Slapperina has a meltdown. We do have a sling, and intend to use it unless she's too big to use it by then (though she's almost 6 weeks old now and still less than 8 1/2 pounds, so I don't see her getting that much bigger that much sooner...I know, anything can happen). And as far as meals go, I figure worst case scenario, we'll have to go to the dining car in shifts, and hopefully that's not an issue (anyone know if they'll allow you to get your meal "to go" and bring it back to the room?). It's a real "hope for the best, expect the worst" scenario, I think for both of us. We don't expect it to be THAT restful a trip (though I'd wager certainly more restful than all that extra driving, looking for a decent hotel, resisting the urge to black-light it for bodily-fluid stains, etc.)...but if it winds up being an enjoyable ride, it will certainly be a major plus, and a deciding factor towards perhaps trying it again for the way back.

NOVAtraveler

The only food I saw at the station were a little store where you might be able to buy prepackaged sandwiches. On that exit, when you turn left toward the station there is only a McD's and, maybe, a strip-mall restaurant, both about 4 miles away. If you turn right at the bottom of the off-ramp (away from the station), there are a quite a few fast food places just over the hill. It's not the "scenic route" right in that area. Ironically, there are three gorgeous parks very near there, though.

Keep Route 1 in mind if I-95 does have a backup. If 95 South is going to get bad, it will usually be between Springfield and your exit.

Caveat: If you are coming south on 95 on a holiday Friday, all bets are off. :eek: If that is your plan, you might want to consider coming down on Thursday and staying overnight in the area.

I book a bedroom each time and have a great time. You'll meet some really fun people at dinner, you can go to the movies if you want, and I saw quite a few young couples with babies. AND, you can load up that car with all the stuff you gotta have to transport the little one.

I think you'll enjoy it.

eagles

i haven't taken the autotrain yet, i plan to someday. but when i took my grandaughter to disney via the train from richmond and back. on the way back she was sick. i asked if we could just have our meal delivered to the room. that was no problem at all.

so i think if you don't want to take shifts going to dinner or have any kind of problems with baby, you could probably just have your dinner in your room, like room service.

good luck, and i hope you enjoy your trip. just look at the train as part of your vacation, part of the adventure.

DormaNesbit

Slappy, could you keep us updated with your trip plans? I have no idea when we will be able to go to Disney again so I would love to hear about all your trip planning...if I'm not being to nosey. Have a great day!

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Slappy, could you keep us updated with your trip plans? I have no idea when we will be able to go to Disney again so I would love to hear about all your trip planning...if I'm not being to nosey. Have a great day!

I'll do my darnedest, but be warned, I'm often distracted by bright shiny objects.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
no big deal, just a minor update. We booked a one-way down to Florida in December. With a small bedroom (private bath/shower), and a discount we found on Mousesavers, it wound up being about $550. Definitely more than it would cost to drive down, at least $150 more, especially when you factor in the cost of driving to/from Virginia. But I'm being cautiously optimistic. After all, someone else is doing the driving, so it hopefully gives me a little extra time to play with Slapperina (or, you know, sleep). If it winds up being pleasant enough, we'll book the return trip trip when we arrive in Florida (train space permitting, of course). But we won't be in as much of a rush getting back, so driving won't be as much of an issue.

Oh, and fwiw, I was told in-room dining is a free option, in case Slapperina is being a load. Otherwise we'll either brave the dining car together, with Slapperina in a baby sling, or Slappette will eat first & I'll eat afterwards.

Fingers crossed...

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Slappy--does that price include the car or is there a seperate charge for that,

It DOES include transporting the car. According to both Amtrak's website AND the agent who assisted me, anyone who takes the Autotrain must have a vehicle (could be a motorcycle, or oversized vehicle as well). And I got a 20% off code over at mousesavers.com but the 20% is only off the "coach seat" price. You'll see it if you go on their website, you pay to get on the train, which is the price of a coach seat, then you pay for your vehicle, and you can choose to pay for an upgrade to a roomette or bedroom or suite. Only the first fee gets the discount. AAA members also get a discount, though the discount I got over at Mousavers saved a few dollars more.

kippandnora

auto train

Hey Slappy , I take the train every year and we love it , its better if you get a bedroom or sleepete , because sometimes coach gets loud , and if your near the trains door , you hear it opening and closing all night . I go to wdw in oct. every year, the train ride south is generally full, but the last two years , north bound it was empty, my family had a rail car to ourselves last year . Even with all the noise , I feel better when I arrive than if I d have driven the whole way . Butto be on the safe side any more I spend a few extra $$$ and get a family suite . Kipper :wave: :sohappy:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I took the AutoTrain Southbound June '07. I was thoroughly impressed with the service and the food was top-notch, but the ride was so rough I couldn't sleep. Most of the night I was worried about being tossed out of my bunk. We had a small sleeper [two bunks and not much else] and other than the rough ride, I loved the whole experience.

A fellow passenger made the comparison between the The Canadian and the Autotrain as the difference between staying in a 4-star hotel and riding an A1 Abrams battle-tank into war. :lol:

shoppingnut

Regarding places to eat, you could get off the highway at Springfield. There is a mall there so they have a food court with general places. I'm sure there are some places outside the mall, but can't recall offhand. However, if you don't mind driving a few exits passed Lorton to Prince William Parkway you will have your choice of every chain restaurant, Uno's, Red Robin, Smokey Bones, Famous Daves, Five Brothers, Carrabbas, Olive Garden, Silver Diner to name a few.

TTATraveler

I took the AutoTrain Southbound June '07. I was thoroughly impressed with the service and the food was top-notch, but the ride was so rough I couldn't sleep. Most of the night I was worried about being tossed out of my bunk. We had a small sleeper [two bunks and not much else] and other than the rough ride, I loved the whole experience.

A fellow passenger made the comparison between the The Canadian and the Autotrain as the difference between staying in a 4-star hotel and riding an A1 Abrams battle-tank into war. :lol:

I took the AutoTrain when I moved to Florida and thought it was neat until I too wasn't able to sleep. I think I got maybe an hour of sleep. The bouncing and rocking along with the train car doors opening were enough to wake the dead. I swear that train needed some WD40 too. The whole trip was an experience, one that I don't ever plan on duplicating, but I can say I have done it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom