Get rid of McDonald's in the Parks

Connor002

Android-XS said:
I am not claming it is my choice. I am simply making points why I think the McDonalds fries should not be in the parks.
Thus far I'm yet to see any real support for that position... at least, for a business and logical standpoint.
Android-XS said:
Well, we both will probably never know if that is true or not, but if Disney having McDonalds fries is a "huge asset"... lord help us.
McDonald's is a major world presence... with it, Disney is simply capitalizing on their success with joint benefits.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
ganny said:
I am well aware, but is it really "their" park? I remember seeing old video of Walt saying he wanted a place so that guests could escape the outside world. That is the basis for the whole thread. And, if that means that I need to stand that way on coke, kodak, or anything else so be it. Let's get rid of Coke, Kodak, Edy's, all corporate sponsorships on attractions. Whatever it takes to get McDonald's out of the parks.
Epcot was built on corporate sponsorship.

It's just a fact of life we have to live with.

Connor002

ganny said:
I am well aware, but is it really "their" park?
Yes.
The Disney Parks and Resorts are property of The Walt Disney Company.
(Well... with the technical exception of the Tokyo Disneyland Resort)

ganny

Original Poster
look, i'm not stupid, i know this country's economy is based on corporate structure, which includes joint business ventures. i understand that. all i am saying, is that there are some business deals that, thanks to eisner, seem to be making some aspects of the parks to mirror parts of the "outside" world. i don't care for it. WDW is still a place that, for me, holds a lot of magic, and once the parks begin to introduce elements from elsewhere instead of within, then magic dwindles, and it becomes six flags.

unkadug

(Psst ganny - I, too, don't really think that McD's should be in the parks.)

However, there are more important things. :wave:

It's not really gonna affect my experience of the parks either way, because I won't let it.

ganny

Original Poster
i really didn't mean to get a big pro and con debate about the fries started. but by some of the posts from it, is there anyone who thinks that, while it may be a fact of life, that not all decisions should be made by money? just curious. i know Walt knew he would make money with movies and getting into the theme park business, but for the love of both is why he started it. is it not?

unkadug

ganny said:
i really didn't mean to get a big pro and con debate about the fries started. but by some of the posts from it, is there anyone who thinks that, while it may be a fact of life, that not all decisions should be made by money? just curious. i know Walt knew he would make money with movies and getting into the theme park business, but for the love of both is why he started it. is it not?
I don't know about that. I thought it was his dislike of amusement parks that got him into the business?

leelee2911

Remember the Magic

That's what they tell us to do right? Going to Disneyworld is a vacation. Not just physically but mentally, emotionally, etc. MY PERSONAL OPINION- seeing a McDonald's stand in the parks breaks my suspension of disbelief, the whole concept that being in a Disney park is based on. I would feel the same way if it was Wal-Mart, Burger King, etc. I come to Disney to escape the "outside world." And every time I see those McD stands it makes me think of what I have to eat every other day when I'm in Mississippi, instead of a Casey's hotdog or Pecos Bill hamburger, or Disney peanut brittle. And it IS different than just Kodak film or Edy's. They are sold in Disney themed stores and surroundings. And they don't have huge eye sores on every street corner in America selling them. Rock on to Ganny! It's the little things like this, pererving the ideals that Walt built the park on, that most guests find spiritual and emotional about the park. Do we really think Walt would have said, let's put the Golden arches at the Magic Kingdom?? Thanks Ganny, I'm just glad I'm not the only one who hates it.

JimboJones123

Yer $$$ is your voice. Go to Pecos bills and order FRIES ONLY -- Same with ordering CHIPS ONLY in GB. Go to the Burgerstand next to MGM's McD and get FRIES ONLY. I don't know what fry place is next to AK's fry stand, but get them there too. The bottom line will change this -- and that's all. If people are going out of their way to avoid McD fries, then they will make a change. Until then... it won't happen. As much as I hate it. Mind you, I always hit the McD at DTD. Just NEVER in the parks. Us your voi$$$e!

Android-XS

Connor002 said:
Thus far I'm yet to see any real support for that position... at least, for a business and logical standpoint.
Since I do not work for Disney, I cannot make business points that will support or unsupport having McDonalds fries in the parks. As a consumer I can only make opinions, and my opinion is that having the fries in parks is tacky, takes away from the atmosphere and it just gross. Now if I were to try and look at it from a business standpoint. The opinions of the consumers would be my #1 concern, not the money, because without the positive opinions of the consumers.. you will not have any money.

Connor002 said:
McDonald's is a major world presence... with it, Disney is simply capitalizing on their success with joint benefits.
You are simply pointing out the obvious. Everyone knows why they are there..that isn't my argument or the point of this topic. The question is should they be and in my humble opinion, that answer is NO. That doesn't make me wrong or right, just opinionated.

8<:-)

browniebee said:
Obesity is getting ridiculous in America but it's not the fast food places who are at fault.

Actually, they by using the cheaper hydrogenated oils to cook most of their food, are at fault. HYDROGENATED = Trans fat = Obesity. Even small quantities make you gain weight so be careful out there.

But then again...with all the exercise you'll be getting running around the world I doubt it really matters.

-thedisneycast

DisneyDreamin

I have to agree with most here. Don't care for the McD's in the parks. We definitely noticed it and commented on it at the time. But, I also agree that other things bug me more. Like classic rides I love with squeaky, jerky ride systems/vehicles and distorted sound systems that distract from the experience.

scpergj

If you don't think they should be there, then don't buy them.

I for one DESPISE everything French. I refuse to buy Michelin tires, Nissan automobiles, and have researched and have a list of companies that I will not do business with, because they are French. That said, do I think Disney should remove France from EPCOT? Uh, no. Do I think that France has no business in EPCOT...again, no. I just refuse to go in there. Is it that hard, or do you just want the nanny state to tell Disney who they can and can't do business with?

If enough people don't buy the fries, the stands will close. It's that simple. Other than not buying them, there is nothing we can do about it. Disney is an independent corporation...for every one person that says that McDonalds dosn't belong there, there is another that says they do....is that opinion worth any less than yours?

Think about it....

RedBaron

scpergj said:
If you don't think they should be there, then don't buy them.

I for one DESPISE everything French. I refuse to buy Michelin tires, Nissan automobiles, and have researched and have a list of companies that I will not do business with, because they are French. That said, do I think Disney should remove France from EPCOT? Uh, no. Do I think that France has no business in EPCOT...again, no. I just refuse to go in there. Is it that hard, or do you just want the nanny state to tell Disney who they can and can't do business with?

If enough people don't buy the fries, the stands will close. It's that simple. Other than not buying them, there is nothing we can do about it. Disney is an independent corporation...for every one person that says that McDonalds dosn't belong there, there is another that says they do....is that opinion worth any less than yours?

Think about it....

"French fries" actually came from Belgium. The word french in french fries is actually a cullinary term. (from websters dictionary) "To cut in thin lengthwise strips before cooking. And therefore have nothing at all to do with France.

Anyway back on topic, I agree that McDonalds should not be in the parks. I admit to loving their fries, but when I am in WDW I want something that I cant get back home, something different.

WDWBro

ganny said:
Let's get rid of...all corporate sponsorships on attractions.

That's how they help to pay for them. Would you rather have Spaceship Earth sponsored by Siemens, or just no Spaceship Earth at all?

ganny

Original Poster
WDWBro said:
That's how they help to pay for them. Would you rather have Spaceship Earth sponsored by Siemens, or just no Spaceship Earth at all?

If you'll go back and read the rest of the thread, you'll see that I recanted and included corporate sponsorships to justify my protesting of McDonald's fries in the park. And don't give me that crap that Disney needs corporate sponsorships to maintain attractions. If corporate sponsorships help cover the costs of attraction maintenance, then why do ticket prices keep going up?

unkadug

ganny said:
If you'll go back and read the rest of the thread, you'll see that I recanted and included corporate sponsorships to justify my protesting of McDonald's fries in the park. And don't give me that crap that Disney needs corporate sponsorships to maintain attractions. If corporate sponsorships help cover the costs of attraction maintenance, then why do ticket prices keep going up?
I believe that corporate sponsorship dates back to the days when Walt was designing pavilions for the World's Fair.

Originally sponsorships at the parks was to help defray the cost of R&D, design and construction.

Now adays it just more money in the coffers so to speak.

They may also help with the maintenance and refurbs, I not too sure about that though.

scpergj

RedBaron said:
"French fries" actually came from Belgium. The word french in french fries is actually a cullinary term. (from websters dictionary) "To cut in thin lengthwise strips before cooking. And therefore have nothing at all to do with France.

I didn't mean that I don't eat fries because they're french...I meant I don't do business with French companies. My actual rant was that if Disney want's McDonalds in the park, and you (generic you, not you personally) don't have to buy them. I am well aware of the origins of fries.

I do in fact eat fries. I don't buy french products.

sorry for the confusion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom