Genie+ vs. Lightning Lane confusion?

Pepper's Ghost

This - IMO - has little to do with WDW though. People are addicted to their phones, WDW just found a way to...accommodate or maybe a better word is incorporate - their addiction into the WDW experience.

I haven't used Genie+ yet, but it isn't essential to use it. And even less important to use it all day.

That said, if one is using Genie+ - a KEY time to use one's phone ALSO happens to be a time when many others will SEE you using your phone: the line queue.

Just as in my last post....if there are 'rewards' for making rope drop (getting your bum out of bed early), or not eating lunch at noon, there are rewards if you are willing to make a small trade of looking at your phone over looking at walls while waiting in a queue. Oh, and also at 7a.m. But you just have to be awake at 7am. (not dressed or anything.)

Alas though...if I was WDW, it would be interesting to see all the ways I could manipulate people.... I imagine a corporate challenge was issued, "Can we manipulate people into waking up at 8am? What about 7am? BONUS if it also encourages them to use thier phones more!"

More phone time is good for WDW though. It is SO easy and far less expensive than building rides and other experiences.
Totally agree with what you said, especially the bolded part above. That was kind of my point although you said it more succinctly. People are already addicted to their phones, but these ride reservation systems are just making it worse, "forcing" people to look at their phones for the next reservation.

Regarding staring at [your] phone instead of at walls, I like looking at walls. 😁 More accurately, I love to absorb the atmosphere of the parks, queues, etc. I don't like being forced to look at my phone for reservations to keep up with the Joneses rather than enjoying the atmosphere, talking to loved ones, people-watching, etc. Sure, no one forces anyone to look at their phone, but it's aggravating to constantly watch people walk past you in the PF/LL lane and never be that person skipping the line.

lukacseven

Original Poster
So, got my tickets, made park reservations and added Genie+. Now what? On the morning I'm going to DHS (staying on property), I get up at 6:59 AM, I go online and try to make a Individual Lightning Lane first for ROTR, then after that (additional payment), I try to make my first Genie+ selection for Lighting Lane (already paid for) and hope there are still times available for SWMFSR. Am I correct that you can only make one initial selection, but once that time passes or you reach 2 hours after park opening, you can make another?

nickys

Premium Member
So, got my tickets, made park reservations and added Genie+. Now what? On the morning I'm going to DHS (staying on property), I get up at 6:59 AM, 1. I go online and try to make a Individual Lightning Lane first for ROTR, 2. then after that (additional payment), I try to make my first Genie+ selection for Lighting Lane (already paid for) and hope there are still times available for SWMFSR. 3. Am I correct that you can only make one initial selection, but once that time passes or you reach 2 hours after park opening, you can make another?
1. Yes.
2. Yes, if that is your priority. It shouldn’t be a problem, Slinky is the ride most people go for first.
3. Yes

You can buy two ILL rides if you want to at 7am, the other one at DHS is MMRR. Or you can buy one at another park if you tend to park hop. If you do decide to book two, I suggest you do that after booking Rise and your first G+ ride.

firecatgirl

So, got my tickets, made park reservations and added Genie+. Now what? On the morning I'm going to DHS (staying on property), I get up at 6:59 AM, I go online and try to make a Individual Lightning Lane first for ROTR, then after that (additional payment), I try to make my first Genie+ selection for Lighting Lane (already paid for) and hope there are still times available for SWMFSR. Am I correct that you can only make one initial selection, but once that time passes or you reach 2 hours after park opening, you can make another?

1. Yes.
2. Yes, if that is your priority. It shouldn’t be a problem, Slinky is the ride most people go for first.
3. Yes

You can buy two ILL rides if you want to at 7am, the other one at DHS is MMRR. Or you can buy one at another park if you tend to park hop. If you do decide to book two, I suggest you do that after booking Rise and your first G+ ride.
Thank you for asking/answering this. It's very helpful.
I've been trying to figure it out before our trip but it seems like (or hopeful I should say) that when in the parks it shows more time options like some of the vloggers show in their videos?
Is there a place I add that I am PH on a particular day?
TIA for any help :)

nickys

Premium Member
Thank you for asking/answering this. It's very helpful.
I've been trying to figure it out before our trip but it seems like (or hopeful I should say) that when in the parks it shows more time options like some of the vloggers show in their videos?
Is there a place I add that I am PH on a particular day?
TIA for any help :)
You don’t have to tell Genie+ you have park hoppers.

If you book an ILL or G+ ride for a park that you don’t have a park reservation for it will only give you return times after 2pm. The onus is on you to ensure you have either APs or park hopper tickets to be able to use them.

The system does seem to change the times showing as available, and not just while you’re in the parks.

firecatgirl

You don’t have to tell Genie+ you have park hoppers.

If you book an ILL or G+ ride for a park that you don’t have a park reservation for it will only give you return times after 2pm. The onus is on you to ensure you have either APs or park hopper tickets to be able to use them.

The system does seem to change the times showing as available, and not just while you’re in the parks.
Oh ok, thank you :)
I must be looking on really busy days. Every time I check there are never any times available for the more popular rides and it's only one option for a time not multiple times which I thought we would get. I'll keep checking it :)

nickys

Premium Member
Oh ok, thank you :)
I must be looking on really busy days. Every time I check there are never any times available for the more popular rides and it's only one option for a time not multiple times which I thought we would get. I'll keep checking it :)
Your observations are correct. The popular rides for G+ do book out. And you don’t get a choice of times. But if you refresh you might get a different time, which can be earlier.

It’s only ILLs where you can choose a time.

firecatgirl

Your observations are correct. The popular rides for G+ do book out. And you don’t get a choice of times. But if you refresh you might get a different time, which can be earlier.

It’s only ILLs where you can choose a time.
Thank you for confirming :)

I watched a couple videos last night and am up early anyway so I tested it first thing this morning I saw quite a bit available so I was a little relieved about that. (Rise and Slinky were definitely there then just gone though :oops: ) and and now it's just a matter of getting my game plan thought out before 7am and being ready with top choices pinned. I still only see 1 time offered at a time for iLL maybe when I have a park ticket it will change to options?

Thank you all again for help with understanding all of this and if anyone has a dummy's guide to understanding the 120 min rule that would be great. I "think" I get it so please correct me if I'mnot. iLL has no impact on this rule (correct?) How I understand LL is this:

AK in the morning and HS after 2pm. I'm up at 7am making these selections:
LL for Kilimanjaro Safaris 9:25am
at this point I cannot make another LL until 9am?

Same parks different scenario:
LL for Smugglers Run 2:30pm
Can I book another LL without waiting until 9am because this LL is later in the day?

nickys

Premium Member
AK in the morning and HS after 2pm. I'm up at 7am making these selections:
LL for Kilimanjaro Safaris 9:25am
at this point I cannot make another LL until 9am?
Once you tap into the Safari you can book your second one.
Same parks different scenario:
LL for Smugglers Run 2:30pm
Can I book another LL without waiting until 9am because this LL is later in the day?
Because your first LL is at 2:30pm and more than 2 hrs after the park opens, you can then book another one 2 hrs after the park opens. Since your park reservation is for AK then I think you can book another one 2 hrs after AK opens.

So the rules is you can book another LL

- either after tapping into an LL
- or 2 hrs after you physically book an LL

whichever happens first.

In the case of the 2 hr rule it only starts at park opening time. It makes no difference whether you book the first one at 7am or when the park opens.

ILLs have no bearing on the G+ rides.

MickeyLuv'r

I have not tried Genie+ or ILL myself, but from what I have read...

1. if you have two people in your party (with phones and able to call up your MDE account), then you can have both of you working to obtain passes at the same time. Assign for one person to book the ILL while the other books your first Genie+ attraction. So while one person is booking Rise, the other can be busy booking Slinky.

2. You are also allowed to have overlapping ride passes more than you could under FP+. Under FP+, your FP return times had to be at least an hour apart. The new system doesn't have that restriction. You could have a 6pm Rise pass, and a Slinky pass for 6:30pm - for example.

3. As soon as you book a Genie+ LL pass, if you attempt to book another Genie+ attraction (a LL, not one of ILL's), the system will tell you what time you are eligible to book your next pass. It will be (I think):
a.) when you redeem your 1st pass (if redeemed less than 2hours from when it was booked) - OR -
b.) two hours from when you booked your 1st pass - OR-
c.) two hours after the park opens (= the park where your first Genie+ LL attraction is located).

If you book your 1st pass at 7am for a ride in AK, and AK opens at 8am, then - assuming I understand correctly - you can book your 2nd LL at 10am. If you book your 1st LL at 7am for Epcot, but Epcot doesn't open until 10am, then you will be able to book you next LL at noon. (=2 hours from when Epcot opens)

Park hopping is also a factor.

It is also important to note that the rules only apply to the latest LL that you booked. If you book a FP at 7am, and another at 9am, then the 1st LL no longer matters (in terms of when you can book your 3rd LL). The timing of when you can book your 3rd LL depends on your 2nd LL: Either when you redeem it, or 2hours after it was booked.

Hopefully more folks will share their park experiences.

firecatgirl

Once you tap into the Safari you can book your second one.

Because your first LL is at 2:30pm and more than 2 hrs after the park opens, you can then book another one 2 hrs after the park opens. Since your park reservation is for AK then I think you can book another one 2 hrs after AK opens.

So the rules is you can book another LL

- either after tapping into an LL
- or 2 hrs after you physically book an LL

whichever happens first.

In the case of the 2 hr rule it only starts at park opening time. It makes no difference whether you book the first one at 7am or when the park opens.

ILLs have no bearing on the G+ rides.
Thank you that's helpful :)
One more question (for now at least haha) does the 120min rule happen every time you book a LL?

lukacseven

Original Poster
Here's one more question...If I have a park reservation for the day I am arriving but won't be getting to the park until around noon, can I still book my Genie + attractions and/or individual lightning lane if I am not on property yet? Is it based on your reservations in MDE or your mobile location?

Rob562

Here's one more question...If I have a park reservation for the day I am arriving but won't be getting to the park until around noon, can I still book my Genie + attractions and/or individual lightning lane if I am not on property yet? Is it based on your reservations in MDE or your mobile location?

You can start booking at 7am, regardless of where you are. Though if you're not a Disney resort guest, you won't be able to book ILL attractions until the time the park opens.

I have friends who are planning on booking their first Genie+ time as they're boarding the plane next month.

-Rob

DisDadWoz

So if we have a one day park hopper with reservation for DHS (Then on to EPCOT after 2:00) and want to get on ROTR and then everything else is a bonus should I be on the app at 7:00 am (Staying at WDW resort) to get LL for ROTR with another person in our party on their phone as well trying to book anything else. Is that the best route to try?

Rob562

So if we have a one day park hopper with reservation for DHS (Then on to EPCOT after 2:00) and want to get on ROTR and then everything else is a bonus should I be on the app at 7:00 am (Staying at WDW resort) to get LL for ROTR with another person in our party on their phone as well trying to book anything else. Is that the best route to try?

Yes, although I'd suggest the second person be logged in under their own account booking for the group rather than both of you logging in as you on two different devices. Doing it as the same login would *probably* be ok, but with Disney IT's history I never put it past them getting confused by it.

At 7am, you'll be able to buy your ROTR ILL, plus book your first Genie+ time. Slinky is the first Genie+ to book up, followed by Runaway Railway. But with ToT running at reduced capacity, it might also start running out earlier than usual.

Then, you can book your second Genie+ either 2 hours after Studios opens, or after you redeemed that first Genie+, whichever occurs first.

Also, if paying for a Ratatouille ILL is something you're willing to pay for, I'm fairly certain that can also be booked at 7am after you've completed buying ROTR.

-Rob

lukacseven

Original Poster
OK. So I have a 9:45 AM flight out of PHL that gets into MCO around 12:15. I already made a reservation for MK for the day. I plan on going onto the app at 7:00 AM to make my first Genie+ selection (for sometime after 2:00 pm). Ubering to CSR, dropping off bags and heading to the park. Don't plan on paying extra for SDMT or SM. Once in the park, my understanding is that I can make an additional Genie+ selection once my first attraction time is past?

Also planning on day 2 doing ILL for ROTR, but then trying to go straight there when the park opens and get in stand-by. I can make the ILL reservation at 7:00 am that day, then also select another attraction for G+?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
OK. So I have a 9:45 AM flight out of PHL that gets into MCO around 12:15. I already made a reservation for MK for the day. I plan on going onto the app at 7:00 AM to make my first Genie+ selection (for sometime after 2:00 pm). Ubering to CSR, dropping off bags and heading to the park. Don't plan on paying extra for SDMT or SM. Once in the park, my understanding is that I can make an additional Genie+ selection once my first attraction time is past?

Also planning on day 2 doing ILL for ROTR, but then trying to go straight there when the park opens and get in stand-by. I can make the ILL reservation at 7:00 am that day, then also select another attraction for G+?

You can make a second selection under a couple conditions..

1. After you tap in at the first selection
2. After the first selections return window has passed
3. 2 hours after you made the selection as long as it is also 2 hours after park opening.

Yes, you the ILL doesn't impact your G+ selections. You don't even need G+ to get ILL.

RememberWhen

For your MK day you do not need to wait until your first one is used. Assuming the park opens at 9 that day, you can make a second Genie+ selection at 11. I would plan to do this:
7:00- make first selection
12:20(after you land)- make second selection
2:20 - make 3rd selection
By then you should be in the parks. I don’t know (somebody else chime in here) if you can make another as soon as you use the first, or if you have to wait the two hours.

For DHS, yes. You can have the ILL and make a Genie+ selection at 7am.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom