General Star Wars News

peng

Wow I didn’t even know Phil Tippet was still around.
I think he's mostly retired and Tippett Studios is barely around, though he did make Mad God a few years back and Tippett Studios did some stop motion stuff for Pixar recently too. Also the his company filed for bankruptcy and was bought out by an Indian effects company a few months back.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Showrunner mentioned that CGI is used, so for once, it isn't the crew trying to pretend it wasn't used, j
I've seen movie making folks being called out for saying "we didn't use CGI, it was all practical" when, in fact, just about everything was CGI.

Part of that is actors not knowing that the practical thing they shot was going to get a veneer of CGI. Another part is just hubris and pandering to the overcritical haters who howl at "CGI" regardless of whether it was done well or poorly.

AFAIK, no LucasFilm content trotted out the "no CGI" bull. First, ILM is part of LucasFilm, and I'm sure they'd love to toot what ILM can do. And second, LucasFilm loves their 'behind the scenes' documentaries showing off things like "The Volume" and all their CGI work (as well as some practical, which they still do alongside CGI).

See here for background:

Movielover

I've seen movie making folks being called out for saying "we didn't use CGI, it was all practical" when, in fact, just about everything was CGI.

Part of that is actors not knowing that the practical thing they shot was going to get a veneer of CGI. Another part is just hubris and pandering to the overcritical haters who howl at "CGI" regardless of whether it was done well or poorly.

AFAIK, no LucasFilm content trotted out the "no CGI" bull. First, ILM is part of LucasFilm, and I'm sure they'd love to toot what ILM can do. And second, LucasFilm loves their 'behind the scenes' documentaries showing off things like "The Volume" and all their CGI work (as well as some practical, which they still do alongside CGI).

See here for background:

Watched those last week. The Barbie stuff blew my mind that they would go so far as change behind the scenes shots to perpetuate that narrative.

Phroobar

1715544589075.png

erasure fan1

If Disney didn't take some serious notes from fallout, shame on them. That show was better than all the marvel and star wars shows. Except mando season 1 and 2, and I'd say they were equal. Almost everyone on that show talked about how much they loved the games and wanted to stay as true to the source material as they possibly could. They didn't want to make their version of fallout. They wanted a true extension of fallout that felt like it was pulled right out of that universe. And it didn't matter if you knew the source material or not, anyone could enjoy it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have been reading Howard kazanjian’s book and watching the Star Wars docu on peacock…

It jogged my memory

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I left it off the list because most of those people calling themselves "the fans" and speaking for "the fans" are generally wholly negative... except for "Rogue One".
To continue to blame 5 guys in the basement for a drop off in interest, sales and a studio that can’t figure out which way it’s spinning is beyond their power.

Their only confirmed movie project is a franchise that has already run its course on stream.

Taking odds on that one?

But we Can all talk next week about the newest “series-ette”…at least

Willmark

To continue to blame 5 guys in the basement for a drop off in interest, sales and a studio that can’t figure out which way it’s spinning is beyond their power.

Their only confirmed movie project is a franchise that has already run its course on stream.

Taking odds on that one?

But we Can all talk next week about the newest “series-ette”…at least
Next week is going to be interesting. So far this feels very The Marvels in the run up. By this I mean Disney’s carefully curated early reviewers are raving about the product. (Of course they are, they want to get invited back and keep their jobs.)

Meanwhile the trailers got downvoted into oblivion.

Of course this will all be the fault of the fans not those who push this stuff out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Next week is going to be interesting. So far this feels very The Marvels in the run up. By this I mean Disney’s carefully curated early reviewers are raving about the product. (Of course they are, they want to get invited back and keep their jobs.)

Meanwhile the trailers got downvoted into oblivion.

Of course this will all be the fault of the fans not those who push this stuff out.
The buzz is very negative or nonexistent

Willmark

The buzz is very negative or nonexistent
I’ve been following along and observing.

As for myself I’m still stuck in Season 3 of the Mandolorian. I’m right at the part where it you know, stops being about the main character. It’s weird there is a lot of parallels with season 3 of the Witcher.

Got through Book of Bobba Fett and still have Obi Wan to watch. I wince at that one because he’s my favorite character outside of R2.

It’s not like I’m not giving Disney SW a chance but it’s getting to the point that if you disagree with them you’re labeled a “hater?”

How about its legitimate criticisms that outside of Force Awakens, Solo and Rogue One? Disney has not done well and is getting worse and worse.

We’ll see if the Acolyte reverses this trend or continues it. Suffice to say I’m not hopeful.

The High Republic film with Daisy Ridley has my interest but again I’m not giving Disney any benefit of the doubt based on their track record.

Lastly I’ve never read outside of maybe one book from the EU and have not watched Clone Wars. So I’m not that deep into the fandom as some. But to do the sequels to kill off the three main characters one by one in pathetic ways? (Of course their hand was forced with Carrie Fisher’s death.)

But back to topic? The Acolyte is apparently taking nods from TLJ? The most devisive film in the franchise which is the fault line on the fandom?

I don’t see how this turns out well.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unfortunately that's how it goes now a days. Especially in the Disney fandom. If you don't agree with all of it, you are just hating on Disney and want to see them fail. It's pretty sad really.

Blaming fans for bad product has unfortunately become as big of a part of Star Wars legacy as the lightsaber at this point

Well that's absolutely 100% fake news. Nice try, Trolley McTroll. It's been getting rave reviews thank you very much.
Care to back that BS up? Let’s see it

Or are we already in denial mode?

Last edited:

_caleb

As for myself I’m still stuck in Season 3 of the Mandolorian. I’m right at the part where it you know, stops being about the main character. It’s weird there is a lot of parallels with season 3 of the Witcher.
I'm not sure I understand this criticism. Do you think Bo Katan isn't a good character? Do you think every episode should only focus on Mando?
Got through Book of Bobba Fett and still have Obi Wan to watch. I wince at that one because he’s my favorite character outside of R2.
I thought it was a good story. Just a glimpse into what Obi Wan was going through/doing during his exile. I found it to be told in a very Starwarsy sort of way, but apparently that's not what people are looking for anymore.
It’s not like I’m not giving Disney SW a chance but it’s getting to the point that if you disagree with them you’re labeled a “hater?”
I think a "hater" is someone who's super grumpy about all modern/Disney Star Wars, who pre-judges it as bad before they see it, then "hate-watches" it nitpicking for things to support their unfounded dislike of it.

Honest disagreement, on the other hand, it usually offered with some degree of nuance and acknowledgment of positives and negatives (because if you can't find at least a little bit of both, maybe you're a critic and not a fan? IDK).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom