General Questions, please and thank you :)

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Hi everyone. My husband and I have just started looking into DVC. I spoke to a very nice CM yesterday and he answered a bunch of questions and forwarded me the gigantic informational email :) I have a few other general questions and I thought I would ask here before calling back. Between work and a very loud 3 year old, it's sometimes hard to talk on the phone in peace and quiet.

1. From looking at the charts he sent, it looks like your monthly payment is based on your buy in rate, plus your yearly dues. Once you pay off that buy in amount, do you just pay your dues monthly?

2. I'm assuming dues increase over time to keep up with maintenance costs. Do they typically increase each year? And if so, about how much?

3. I specifically asked yesterday if the point value per room changes or if it will be always be the same. He told me the point value is always the same. For example, a standard view studio at AKL currently starts at 8 points/night. He said that same room will always be 8 points at some point during the year. He said that if for some reason, January suddenly became super busy and certain nights had to be raised, that certain other nights throughout the year would be lowered to offset the change. After talking to him however, I found a few discussions (here and elsewhere) that they actually tried to raise the points for 2020 and then later, changed their minds. So what's the deal with this situation?

4. Has anyone ever used their points at other non Disney timeshares? What was your experience with it?

Thanks so much!

seascape

First off, you should completely understand DVC points are not an investment. I also believe that buying points from Disney should only be done with money that is not needed for anything else. You first have to be sure that all your needs are paid for, then your retirement plan, kids college and marriage expenses. Then, I would still recommend you pay for the points with cash and not debt. Now to answer your questions.

1. From looking at the charts he sent, it looks like your monthly payment is based on your buy in rate, plus your yearly dues. Once you pay off that buy in amount, do you just pay your dues monthly?

Yes, your payments are based on how many points you buy and as long as you don't own anything on the purchase price the only thing you will pay is the annual maintenance fees. As I said above you not buy DVC points on a loan. However if you insist on buying into DVC and feel you need the membership extras then only buy 75 points at the start.

2. I'm assuming dues increase over time to keep up with maintenance costs. Do they typically increase each year? And if so, about how much?

The dues do go up every year. Count on the going up an average of 3 to 4 percent a year.

3. I specifically asked yesterday if the point value per room changes or if it will be always be the same. He told me the point value is always the same. For example, a standard view studio at AKL currently starts at 8 points/night. He said that same room will always be 8 points at some point during the year. He said that if for some reason, January suddenly became super busy and certain nights had to be raised, that certain other nights throughout the year would be lowered to offset the change. After talking to him however, I found a few discussions (here and elsewhere) that they actually tried to raise the points for 2020 and then later, changed their minds. So what's the deal with this situation?

The point charts can and will eventually charge. It will always be better to have more points than less. But the downside of more points is higher annual fees. With proper planning 75 points can be used to give you a very nice vacation. You could use the 75 points to give you 225 points every 3 years or 150 points every 2 years or 75 every year. Over time you can also add on more points.

4. Has anyone ever used their points at other non Disney timeshares? What was your experience with it?

I would not recommend using DVC points for anything other than staying at a DVC resort. If you think you may like to use another timeshare do some research. The 2 biggest timeshare companies with tons of resorts and locations are Wyndham and Bluegreen. However while their resorts are nice they are not at the same level of Hilton, Marriott and Disney. I found that Wyndham was the perfect add on for me. They have resorts in Newport RI, Pennsylvania, Atlantic City, and New Orleans that I have stayed at. I also have stayed at Bonnett Creek twice. If and when you decide you want to stay elsewhere buy points on Ebay. I was lucky and purchased my Wyndham points right before they started their Ovation buyback program which made the points a little more expensive bit Ebay is still the cheapest way to buy timeshares other than DVC. Additionally rather than using DVC points for cruises, you should pay either cash or rent the points though David's or another company to pay for the cruise, it would use less points.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
First off, you should completely understand DVC points are not an investment. I also believe that buying points from Disney should only be done with money that is not needed for anything else. You first have to be sure that all your needs are paid for, then your retirement plan, kids college and marriage expenses. Then, I would still recommend you pay for the points with cash and not debt. Now to answer your questions.

Yes, your payments are based on how many points you buy and as long as you don't own anything on the purchase price the only thing you will pay is the annual maintenance fees. As I said above you not buy DVC points on a loan. However if you insist on buying into DVC and feel you need the membership extras then only buy 75 points at the start.

The dues do go up every year. Count on the going up an average of 3 to 4 percent a year.

The point charts can and will eventually charge. It will always be better to have more points than less. But the downside of more points is higher annual fees. With proper planning 75 points can be used to give you a very nice vacation. You could use the 75 points to give you 225 points every 3 years or 150 points every 2 years or 75 every year. Over time you can also add on more points.

I would not recommend using DVC points for anything other than staying at a DVC resort. If you think you may like to use another timeshare do some research. The 2 biggest timeshare companies with tons of resorts and locations are Wyndham and Bluegreen. However while their resorts are nice they are not at the same level of Hilton, Marriott and Disney. I found that Wyndham was the perfect add on for me. They have resorts in Newport RI, Pennsylvania, Atlantic City, and New Orleans that I have stayed at. I also have stayed at Bonnett Creek twice. If and when you decide you want to stay elsewhere buy points on Ebay. I was lucky and purchased my Wyndham points right before they started their Ovation buyback program which made the points a little more expensive bit Ebay is still the cheapest way to buy timeshares other than DVC. Additionally rather than using DVC points for cruises, you should pay either cash or rent the points though David's or another company to pay for the cruise, it would use less points.

Great info thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will have to clarify with the CM we are working with regarding point value. He seemed pretty confident that while the values might be distributed differently based on season, that if we can currently get a studio for 15 points, we could always get a studio for 15 points. In regards to RCI, he told us the point value was similar worldwide. That we could find 15 point studios in various places around the US without much issue (again depending on season). Again, something to clarify. Thanks again!

Phonedave

First, before you buy from DVC, take a hard look at buying resale. There are restrictions on resale contracts, but they are usually much cheaper. Make sure you understand the difference between what is guaranteed in your contract from DVC and what is a perk (non-guaranteed).

Be aware that you can buy at any resort, even if you want to buy from DVC directly. ff you decide to buy direct, and you push the issue enough, they will get you points at a "sold out" resort. It may take a while, and you may have to put your foot down, but you should be able to do so in the long run.

You got advice on non-financing, but that is a personal decisions. Your dues need to be paid every year (or monthly if you set it up that way) based on the number of points you own. Each resort has a different dues per point cost. The dues reflect the actual costs of running the resort - they cover everything from housekeeping, front desk, bus service, grounds keeping, the lifeguards, capital improvements, etc. They will go up every year (most of the time) because the cost of all of these things go up over time. Some resorts (like AKL which has to care for animals) have higher costs. there is no profit to DVC built into the dues.

Here is a simple example on points per night. When DVC declares a resort, they declare the number of points for sale. That number cannot change. So if DVC created a resort and said the resort has a total of 1 room and 1095 (3 x 365) points available. those total are set. Now DVC can make that room 3 points every night of the year - for a total of 1095 points, or they can make that room 1 point for half the year and 5 points for the other half, again totaling 1095, or they can come up with some other crazy combo, but the total of all rooms, times the number if points for those rooms has to total the number of points at the resort. Now there are limits on how much they can move things around in one year. They did a re-spreading of points at some resorts that got some people upset, mainly because of studio / 1BR issues from what I could tell (both sleep the same for the most part, but a 1B is more points).

Short answer, use your points only for DVC properties (and this plays into your decision on buying resale vs direct). For any other use, cruises, ABD, other Disney non-DVC properties, or through a timeshare exchange) you will come out ahead by renting your points through a broker and using the cash to pay for whatever you are doing.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
First, before you buy from DVC, take a hard look at buying resale. There are restrictions on resale contracts, but they are usually much cheaper. Make sure you understand the difference between what is guaranteed in your contract from DVC and what is a perk (non-guaranteed).

Be aware that you can buy at any resort, even if you want to buy from DVC directly. ff you decide to buy direct, and you push the issue enough, they will get you points at a "sold out" resort. It may take a while, and you may have to put your foot down, but you should be able to do so in the long run.

You got advice on non-financing, but that is a personal decisions. Your dues need to be paid every year (or monthly if you set it up that way) based on the number of points you own. Each resort has a different dues per point cost. The dues reflect the actual costs of running the resort - they cover everything from housekeeping, front desk, bus service, grounds keeping, the lifeguards, capital improvements, etc. They will go up every year (most of the time) because the cost of all of these things go up over time. Some resorts (like AKL which has to care for animals) have higher costs. there is no profit to DVC built into the dues.

Here is a simple example on points per night. When DVC declares a resort, they declare the number of points for sale. That number cannot change. So if DVC created a resort and said the resort has a total of 1 room and 1095 (3 x 365) points available. those total are set. Now DVC can make that room 3 points every night of the year - for a total of 1095 points, or they can make that room 1 point for half the year and 5 points for the other half, again totaling 1095, or they can come up with some other crazy combo, but the total of all rooms, times the number if points for those rooms has to total the number of points at the resort. Now there are limits on how much they can move things around in one year. They did a re-spreading of points at some resorts that got some people upset, mainly because of studio / 1BR issues from what I could tell (both sleep the same for the most part, but a 1B is more points).

Short answer, use your points only for DVC properties (and this plays into your decision on buying resale vs direct). For any other use, cruises, ABD, other Disney non-DVC properties, or through a timeshare exchange) you will come out ahead by renting your points through a broker and using the cash to pay for whatever you are doing.

Thank you!! I didn't realize dues were different at each resort. Makes sense. Something else to consider!
That makes sense about the way points are distributed.

Most of the info we were given yesterday was for Copper Creek since that is what is available right now. We were told we could be added to a wait list for any other resort. He said the typical turn around is 4-6 weeks. We are still up in the air about our home resort.

Thanks again.

Phonedave

Thank you!! I didn't realize dues were different at each resort. Makes sense. Something else to consider!
That makes sense about the way points are distributed.

Most of the info we were given yesterday was for Copper Creek since that is what is available right now. We were told we could be added to a wait list for any other resort. He said the typical turn around is 4-6 weeks. We are still up in the air about our home resort.

Thanks again.

The advice is "buy where you want to stay". I used to be sort of against this advice. I always said "Buy where you don't mind staying" because most of the time (aside from certain peak times) you could get to where you wanted to be (or maybe your second choice) at the 7 month booking window. However, recently that has changed. It has been getting harder and harder to book somewhere at 7 months. I still do not regret owning at SSR. I like the lower dues, and while at times I have wanted to stay at an other resort, I have never regretted staying at SSR.

Keep in mind that different resorts have different expiration dates on their contracts. So some expire sooner than others. Despite the other threads in this forum, nobody knows for sure what is going to happen when those dates come up (aside from your existing contract ending that is). SSR may be cheaper per point that CCV, but it expires sooner.

All resorts work the same way, they just have different buy in per point and dues costs.

CCV is a pretty small resort With things getting tight at the 7 month window, it may not fit your plans. I don't know what sort of room you are thinking will be your "normal" room but CCV only has 42 dedicated studios and 36 2BR lock offs. so call that 60 studios on average - those go quick

SSR by comparison does not have any dedicated studios, but it has 432 2BR lock offs. That is a lot more potential studios at that 11 month window.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
The advice is "buy where you want to stay". I used to be sort of against this advice. I always said "Buy where you don't mind staying" because most of the time (aside from certain peak times) you could get to where you wanted to be (or maybe your second choice) at the 7 month booking window. However, recently that has changed. It has been getting harder and harder to book somewhere at 7 months. I still do not regret owning at SSR. I like the lower dues, and while at times I have wanted to stay at an other resort, I have never regretted staying at SSR.

Keep in mind that different resorts have different expiration dates on their contracts. So some expire sooner than others. Despite the other threads in this forum, nobody knows for sure what is going to happen when those dates come up (aside from your existing contract ending that is). SSR may be cheaper per point that CCV, but it expires sooner.

All resorts work the same way, they just have different buy in per point and dues costs.

CCV is a pretty small resort With things getting tight at the 7 month window, it may not fit your plans. I don't know what sort of room you are thinking will be your "normal" room but CCV only has 42 dedicated studios and 36 2BR lock offs. so call that 60 studios on average - those go quick

SSR by comparison does not have any dedicated studios, but it has 432 2BR lock offs. That is a lot more potential studios at that 11 month window.

Ahhh I was not told yesterday that each resort had a different buy in rate! I was told $188/point and I assumed that was for all the resorts. Apparently that is just Copper Creek? Well that changes things a bit. Thank you!!
Ideally we are looking at 1 bedroom villas, every other year or every 3 years.

slappy magoo

Your questions have well been answered. I'll only add in regard to Question #3 - and you might be aware of this - since the points you "own" represent a percentage of the timeshare you "own" there can't be a situation here point values, across the board, go up. To do so would be like saying your percentage, something represented on your contract when you bought, somehow got smaller, and that's illegal. It'd be like have a 10% investment in a local business and then if/when it turns a profit, the other owners deciding you only REALLY owned 7% and dock your profits as a result.

What might happen with DVC is a shift in point values from one room/view category or another...maybe a few more points needed in Value Season and a few less in Peak...or even a few more on weekends and a few less in weekdays. If they add up the point values for a room for every day in a year, that's how many points the room is "worth" every year, they just have some flexibility into how they get to those numbers.

nickys

Premium Member
I’d also just add to this a couple of points. Apologies if someone already covered them, I didn’t see them mentioned.

Dues - I believe these can go up by a maximum of 10% and this year there have been big increases, mainly due to the rise in the minimum wage. Also the property taxes can also rise and these are included in the dues, but outwith DVC control. They can, and have, appeal against any massive rises (again, happened this year) but ultimately cannot stop them.

Buying resale now will stop you from using your points at Riviera and any other new resort going forward. This is a completely new restriction that we haven’t seen before. It’s worth bearing in mind.

And it is never a good idea to use your points even to stay at another non-DVC Disney resort or elsewhere. Even using them at POP isn’t worth it. You can rent your points out and use the cash to pay for a room and it would be a lot cheaper.

Club Cooloholic

Hi everyone. My husband and I have just started looking into DVC. I spoke to a very nice CM yesterday and he answered a bunch of questions and forwarded me the gigantic informational email :) I have a few other general questions and I thought I would ask here before calling back. Between work and a very loud 3 year old, it's sometimes hard to talk on the phone in peace and quiet.

Thanks so much!
1. I would not buy unless you can afford the upfront buy in cost. The value in DVC is that your paying costs kinda upfront you lose more of that if your making payments with interest.
Consider buying resale, potentially tens of thousands cheaper to do, takes more time but you could be paying 70 dollars less a point.
  1. Due increases fluctuate, but was larger this year. More points you have the more you will feel that increase.
  2. They can and have changed the points. It wont be extreme because to increase the proce of a studio they have to lower say the proce of a 1 bedroom. They can't juat raise the point costs on every room.
  3. As has often been said trading your points into RCI is usually a bad way to use them in terms of maxing out value. That said when I bought a resale contract I inherited use points that were already on the contract and were set to expire in 3 months. There were few options to book and we didn't really want to take a trip in that timeframe. Long story short, threw the points into RCI, and got a condo in Vail that would have cost a few thousand out of pocket, so I think you can find value in exchanging points if you look hard enough at the RCI offerings.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the great tips and advice! I left a message last night with the CM who is helping us to get specific quotes for each resort. We are still not 100% in, but I’d say we’re a solid 50/50 ;) My husband is amazing at planning, budgeting and saving (and yes we have college funds started for both our 8 year old and 3 year old) so I am very thankful for that.
I greatly appreciate your insight!

correcaminos

We did some direct add ons and our waitlist for a sold out resort was only a week. Others have reported more than 2 months with a lot in between.

I agree with the buy where you want to stay, though I add most to the end. Being 2 bedroom bookers, we have a lot more flexibility than studio dwellers do at 7 months.

Do not count on points remaining as they are. I've seen enough changes that the guide is being misleading in his info. Not to mention reports of value rooms being unavailable lately even before the window technically opens. Assume things will change but they cannot make changes over 20% in one year.

Annual dues do have a max increase is 15% IIRC. This does not include property tax though. Disney is good at fighting that. Over all average is 3-4% even including the wage increase.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
We did some direct add ons and our waitlist for a sold out resort was only a week. Others have reported more than 2 months with a lot in between.

I agree with the buy where you want to stay, though I add most to the end. Being 2 bedroom bookers, we have a lot more flexibility than studio dwellers do at 7 months.

Do not count on points remaining as they are. I've seen enough changes that the guide is being misleading in his info. Not to mention reports of value rooms being unavailable lately even before the window technically opens. Assume things will change but they cannot make changes over 20% in one year.

Annual dues do have a max increase is 15% IIRC. This does not include property tax though. Disney is good at fighting that. Over all average is 3-4% even including the wage increase.

Are studios typically the most popular? We are leaning towards 1 bedrooms.
Originally I wanted to buy into AKL but now we are looking into OKW mostly because it’s slightly cheaper. If we ask to be put on a wait list, do we pay anything then? Or is it when something becomes available?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Originally I wanted to buy into AKL but now we are looking into OKW mostly because it’s slightly cheaper. If we ask to be put on a wait list, do we pay anything then? Or is it when something becomes available?
So chime in with my .02cents. Yes, studios are the most popular, and typically go first. 1 bedrooms usually go last. We go for 1 bedrooms almost exclusively, even with just my wife and I, as we love the extra space, washer/dryer, kitchen, and of course, hot tub in the master bath!
Yes, as mentioned, you can buy at any resort - even sold out resorts. Don't let your guide tell you any different. If you do need to go on a waitlist, there is no cost for that at all. You don't pay until they sell you the points.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
So chime in with my .02cents. Yes, studios are the most popular, and typically go first. 1 bedrooms usually go last. We go for 1 bedrooms almost exclusively, even with just my wife and I, as we love the extra space, washer/dryer, kitchen, and of course, hot tub in the master bath!
Yes, as mentioned, you can buy at any resort - even sold out resorts. Don't let your guide tell you any different. If you do need to go on a waitlist, there is no cost for that at all. You don't pay until they sell you the points.

Thank you! We are definitely most interested in a one bedroom, every other year. Like you said, the washer and dryer and full kitchen look amazing. Plus it would be nice to put our kids to bed and not have to tip toe around in the dark at 8pm :)

correcaminos

Agreeing with @LuvtheGoof - yes, they are quite popular. 1 bedrooms as a whole are the last to go. OKW is an awesome one to buy direct honestly in terms of value. You'll get the 2057 end date and I love the HH booking category which I can get owning at OKW.

You pay nothing until you get the points. They are doing a lot more of ROFR lately for OKW so it might not be a long wait :) Just a word of warning, if you are unsure of the number of points you want, ask for more. You can always decide on fewer once they come in, but you cannot get more easily if you decide you wanted more after they take points back in ROFR.

We did a studio once when my son was 5 months old. Once... only studio we will do again is PVB where they connect. Separate sleeping areas are worth it!!!!

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Ok, I have another question and the more I think about it, the more it hurts my brain o_O
We are hoping for our next Disney trip (DVC or not) to be in January of 2020. Let's just say we buy into DVC this March 2019 (100 points). If we bank those 100 points til next year, then borrow from 2020, we will have 200 points to use for that January 2020 trip, correct?
Next question. We are hoping to take a Disney trip every other year. So in 2021, no trip, but we can bank our points for 2022. When we travel in 2022, in order to once again have 200 usable points, we would have to travel in either January or February, correct? Because our 2021 point will expire the last day of February 2022, right? So if this is all true, would it make more sense to hold off for a few months so when we get to that 2022 trip, we have a bigger window? We would most likely work around school vacations meaning MLK weekend, presidents week, or my daughter's April school break. So the only way for April 2022 to be an option is if we buy in in May.
I think.
Maybe?
o_O:arghh:

correcaminos

This is one of the times that Use Year will matter. The UY available are February, March, April, June, August, September, October, and December.

Just because you buy in March does not mean you get a March UY. You can request others :)

This means a January 2020 trip is going to be in a 2019 use year no matter what. It will not be in your 2020 UY. This actually means if you buy in March and ask for an April or later UY, you can get 2018 points to bank to 2019. Like if I buy I try to do it before June (my UY) so I get the previous years' points.

For the 2022 MLK weekend trip again, it depends on the UY. For 2022 with a March or later UY you are in 2021 UY points.

Does this all make sense?

seascape

Ok, I have another question and the more I think about it, the more it hurts my brain o_O
We are hoping for our next Disney trip (DVC or not) to be in January of 2020. Let's just say we buy into DVC this March 2019 (100 points). If we bank those 100 points til next year, then borrow from 2020, we will have 200 points to use for that January 2020 trip, correct?
Next question. We are hoping to take a Disney trip every other year. So in 2021, no trip, but we can bank our points for 2022. When we travel in 2022, in order to once again have 200 usable points, we would have to travel in either January or February, correct? Because our 2021 point will expire the last day of February 2022, right? So if this is all true, would it make more sense to hold off for a few months so when we get to that 2022 trip, we have a bigger window? We would most likely work around school vacations meaning MLK weekend, presidents week, or my daughter's April school break. So the only way for April 2022 to be an option is if we buy in in May.
I think.
Maybe?
o_O:arghh:
If you go every other year and buy 100 points, you will be able to use 200 points every other year. As for banking and borrowing it depends when you go. If you have a March 2019 use year and go in January 2020 you will use your current use year and borrow from March 2020. If you use less than 200 total points you will then be able to bank the left over points from you March 2020 use year into your March 2021 use year. Those points would have to be used by the end of February 2022 and would be on your January 2022 trip. If you continue to use less than 200 points every two years you eventually will end up banking 100 points so you will have to take a longer vacation. It all depends on where you stay and the room.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
This is one of the times that Use Year will matter. The UY available are February, March, April, June, August, September, October, and December.

Just because you buy in March does not mean you get a March UY. You can request others :)

This means a January 2020 trip is going to be in a 2019 use year no matter what. It will not be in your 2020 UY. This actually means if you buy in March and ask for an April or later UY, you can get 2018 points to bank to 2019. Like if I buy I try to do it before June (my UY) so I get the previous years' points.

For the 2022 MLK weekend trip again, it depends on the UY. For 2022 with a March or later UY you are in 2021 UY points.

Does this all make sense?
If you go every other year and buy 100 points, you will be able to use 200 points every other year. As for banking and borrowing it depends when you go. If you have a March 2019 use year and go in January 2020 you will use your current use year and borrow from March 2020. If you use less than 200 total points you will then be able to bank the left over points from you March 2020 use year into your March 2021 use year. Those points would have to be used by the end of February 2022 and would be on your January 2022 trip. If you continue to use less than 200 points every two years you eventually will end up banking 100 points so you will have to take a longer vacation. It all depends on where you stay and the room.

I’ve read through both of these answers like 4 times :joyfull: It sort of make sense but part of me thinks they are trying to confuse me on purpose to get extra money from unused points :eek:
So is there a certain month (use year) that is more beneficial than others?
And also, how user friendly is the website? If we become members, can we log in and see exactly how many points we have, when more become available, deadlines to bank and borrow etc?

Thanks again!! Much much appreciated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom