General News on Epcot

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by jazcatsnh
WDW-I, spaceship earth is still sponsored. There are AT&T signs all over the place on it. Ditto Exxon and GM for their.

Spaceship Earth used to be sponsored by Bell Systems.

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by MrPromey

Last weekend I took pictures of all the open spaces in World Showcase. From the onstage area, if you really look, there appears to be plenty of space for new pavilions. How deep they can go with them is another story but since, they planned on adding more originally anyway, I'm sure there is probably enough room.... There is most certainly enough room in the outpost area. I'll post the pictures I took to the picture board if anyone is interested...

Yeah, I doubt Disney designed a park to have absolutely no extra space. Keep in mind that aside from Test Track's track, Epcot is pretty much the same as it was in 1982. So, aside from the track extension, little to no extra space has been used.

MrPromey

That's not entirely true. Both The Wonders of Life and Norway were later additions to the park. I'm thinking The Living Seas was too but I can't recall for sure. Pavilions like Horizons and Morocco weren't open that first year either but they were under construction at the time the park opened to their footprints were already pretty evident at that point.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
MrP - Living Seas was added later as you suspected. They also added another extension onto the Living Seas backstage area a few years after Living Seas opened.

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by wdwmagic
MrP - Living Seas was added later as you suspected. They also added another extension onto the Living Seas backstage area a few years after Living Seas opened.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Living Seas was in the original Epcot plan... it was just built 5 years after opening.

Mattore

Originally posted by jazcatsnh
OK Here is Epcot

General info ----

The dancing water fountain remains closed and empty. No one knew anything about when or if it is reopening. Too bad since that was always great to see inbetween the innoventions buildings.

The leaping water fountains (along with many other show elements throughout the four parks) are not running as part of a water conservation effort. (other examples include that there is no water shooting from the AT-AT at Star Tours, and no rain at the 'Singin in the Rain' photo spot on NY Street). Actual amount of water being saved? Not much. But its part of 'enviornmentality' now, isn't it.

DisneyFreak

Re: Re: General News on Epcot

Originally posted by Mattore

The leaping water fountains (along with many other show elements throughout the four parks) are not running as part of a water conservation effort. (other examples include that there is no water shooting from the AT-AT at Star Tours, and no rain at the 'Singin in the Rain' photo spot on NY Street). Actual amount of water being saved? Not much. But its part of 'enviornmentality' now, isn't it.

Isn't all that water in the fountains continually recycled through anyway?

MrPromey

Well, they lieft lots of planned space they have yet to use. They planned other coutries that never materialized in WS and I'm pretty sure that big gap between The Land and The Living Seas was not an addicent either :)

markymark

Originally posted by MrPromey

Last weekend I took pictures of all the open spaces in World Showcase. From the onstage area, if you really look, there appears to be plenty of space for new pavilions. How deep they can go with them is another story but since, they planned on adding more originally anyway, I'm sure there is probably enough room.... There is most certainly enough room in the outpost area. I'll post the pictures I took to the picture board if anyone is interested...

That'd be great Mr Promey! I would love to know how many others attractions they could put in.
People are talking about a Swiss pavilion, with the Matterhorn from DL. Is that likely to dominate the skyline if it is built?

djramone

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

Spaceship Earth used to be sponsored by Bell Systems.

Bell Systems became AT&T after the breakup of "Ma Bell" back in the early 80's. So the sponsorship really didn't change, just the company name...

dj

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by djramone

Bell Systems became AT&T after the breakup of "Ma Bell" back in the early 80's. So the sponsorship really didn't change, just the company name...

dj

I see.... thanks.

BTW - Welcome to the boards!

djramone

I see.... thanks.

BTW - Welcome to the boards!

Thanks for the welcome!

As long as we're talking about sponsorship, does anyone know why GE pulled the sponsorship on Horizons, and thus condemned my favorite attraction to the grave?

dj

WDW-Imagineer

Thanks for the welcome!

As long as we're talking about sponsorship, does anyone know why GE pulled the sponsorship on Horizons, and thus condemned my favorite attraction to the grave?

dj

I'm not sure... they just let the contract run out. I believe they had sponsored it for 10 years (The amount for 1 sponsorship term).

MrPromey

Thanks for the welcome!

dj

Maybe they thought their money was better spent sponsoring Illuminations...

djramone

Anybody know what Horizon's attendence figures were during that time (before GE dumped it)?

I can't imagine that they were that good. I can never remember waiting in line to get on. Of course, the attraction was fast loading, so that may be deceiving.

dj

WDW-Imagineer

I can't imagine that they were that good. I can never remember waiting in line to get on. Of course, the attraction was fast loading, so that may be deceiving.

dj

Most omni-mover system, you don't wait to get on... like Spaceship Earth. Of course omnimovers with pre-shows, you'll wait.... Haunted Mansion, Living Seas.

<SRH>

I thought the Fountain at Epcot was just down for maintenance. I sure hope they don't take it out. A lot of people consider that an attraction. When the fountain goes off, everyone just stops in the courtyard until the show is done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom