Gen 1 Conversation Mickey-next week

Magenta Panther

That was just freaking adorable. It's funny that even though it's a 5-foot mouse, you totally believe that it's Mickey.

I'm still hoping that a "real-size" Mickey AA will someday appear in the parks, though...

The video shows the Mickey that is able to spontaneously converse with guests. Isn't this different than the D23 Mickey who only had certain phrases that could be said, making for somewhat awkward conversations?
I think due to the chaos that was the Expo, many never were aware that both versions of the experience were tested, just on different days. On Sat Mickey was much more personal, but on Sun he was very general and yeah, awkward. I prefer when Mickey is personal, as I'm sure many would, but I'm concerned if WDI can overcome the inherent problems with with the setup i believe they are using.

asianway

We met Mickey on Sat at the Expo and it was personal-he was speaking to you by name if you had your name on your credential.

NoChesterHester

I am far more excited about seeing this on our next trip then the Next Gen queues...

Finally, we see a play test implemented. The rest of the living characters are cool, but dont seem to actually stick around.

BrightImagine

I have been waiting and hoping for talking Mickey to come to WDW ever since that "testing" article was published on the Parks blog. Even though we just got back from WDW and won't get to be back for a year or more (why does that always seem to happen with new stuff?)... I am super excited.

I can imagine this creating awkward questions for children like why can Mickey talk to them at TST but not at Chef Mickeys, Character Spot etc... Some sort of back story ( like the "shrinking" for the fairies) might be helpful for families like us who tend to find Mickey more than once a visit. Or maybe we'll just live with it. :)

How many rooms are at the TST? I thought two but posts made me feel like it's more than two?

Figment1986

Too bad it's a Disneyland "reject" but not a surprise we always get those here.

there is nothing "reject" about it... It's simply something from Imagineering R&D that needs further testing. Much like Muppet mobile labs, Lucky the Dino, Wall-E, and a few other things were/are.

They like to test things at DLR first due to the proximity to Glendale, eventually they feel it's going good enough to a test on the east coast like mickey is doing right now. When it comes to new projects they need all the data they can get.

In regards to "Canned" mickey versus "live" mickey I can see a canned voice being good for select shows and of course parades... where Live is better for smaller meet and greets.

FLmom

Was just there last nite for the party but would totally go back again tomorrow or any day this week for my daughter to get to see talking Mickey.

What are the chances you end up with the talking Mickey is it just totally random or is there a better time to show up. Can you ask if he's on and to be in his line?

nace888

I can see how the 'Canned Mickey' works, but the 'Personal Mickey'? Do they have a voice-over box that also controls the movements of the mouth? I know the eye blink is random, but the mouth and voice bit throws me off...

Flight Safety

I have not been overly excited about this by itself. I grew up with Mickey hugging and using gestures etc., not carrying on a conversation with me.

When I look at the big picture, I see where this is going and how immense the level of magic will be on the most personal of levels. This has me optimistic about the future of in park interaction, and all of the many different directions this can go and all of the doors this is going to open. The only issue I see is the ammount of infastructure that needs to be in place to execute these goals properly. Without a nearly flawless execution, all of the R&D will go to waste and all the millions of possibilites that could come out of this and the RFID tech will go right out the window. Im very excited to see how this will tie into existing tech / attractions as well as come together with new tech (RFID) to create a cohesive magical experience that is so unique even the avid and frequent WDW guests will have a whole new experience. And not just in M&Gs but all throughout the parks. Just think of the possibilites!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom