Gay Days At WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

HokieDevil

I was looking at going to WDW with my neice and nephews over the summer but I did see that that time we are able to go coincides with the gay days at the park. I was wondering if anyone has any advice around what the park is like during this event. I myself am gay but this event has always seemed to be more of the negative stereotype associated with the community than the circle of friends I keep. My neice and nephews are 7 and the twins are 5. I wouldn't want to take them to Halsted St here in Chicago and wonder what the atmosphere at the parks and especially hotels are like. Thank you.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I was looking at going to WDW with my neice and nephews over the summer but I did see that that time we are able to go coincides with the gay days at the park. I was wondering if anyone has any advice around what the park is like during this event. I myself am gay but this event has always seemed to be more of the negative stereotype associated with the community than the circle of friends I keep. My neice and nephews are 7 and the twins are 5. I wouldn't want to take them to Halsted St here in Chicago and wonder what the atmosphere at the parks and especially hotels are like. Thank you.

Probably not much different than the rest of the year.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

LOL. It is just fine. There aren't people walking down Mainstreet USA with their shirts off and rainbows painted on their chests. LOL My cousin goes with his partner to Gay Days and he has a lot of fun. It really is not different than any other time of the year. :wave: You may see two men holding hands at the same time here and there but who cares about that. LOL

Upvote 0

menamechris

Given that you are gay, it may be a good experience for them. They will not be seeing the stereotypes, but normal gay couples and families that happen to have two moms or two dads. Yes, you will see the occasional "stereotype", but that being said...I saw a college girl today at the Magic Kingdom falling out of her shirt and shorts. Obnoxious people craving attention aren't limited to the gay community...

Upvote 0

spock

If this gives you any idea, I was there on gay day one year and didn't even realize it until the next day when I read about it in the newspaper. Some church group was urging people to boycott the parks and that's what the story was about.

Upvote 0

unkadug

If this gives you any idea, I was there on gay day one year and didn't even realize it until the next day when I read about it in the newspaper. Some church group was urging people to boycott the parks and that's what the story was about.

Didn't you find it odd that most people chose to wear red on the same day? :lol:

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Given that you are gay, it may be a good experience for them. They will not be seeing the stereotypes, but normal gay couples and families that happen to have two moms or two dads. Yes, you will see the occasional "stereotype", but that being said...I saw a college girl today at the Magic Kingdom falling out of her shirt and shorts. Obnoxious people craving attention aren't limited to the gay community...

Very well said!! Two of our trips at Disney coincided with Gay Days at Disney, and we never encountered a problem. The families are very sweet, get ticked off by long lines, like straight families do, get upset when there's a long line to Cosmic Rays, and squeal with delite when they see Mickey Mouse. We did see a couple of men, get engaged in front of the Italy Pavillion, and it was just as touching as any other two people vowing to spend their lives together. I even took pics and then toasted the happy couple! By all means, go, have a great time and cast your fears into Seven Seas Lagoon! Disney is magical to EVERYONE!! Enjoy your trip and go, make memories, I am sure your nieces will remember this trip for many years to come :sohappy:

Upvote 0

SMS55

LOL. It is just fine. There aren't people walking down Mainstreet USA with their shirts off and rainbows painted on their chests. LOL My cousin goes with his partner to Gay Days and he has a lot of fun. It really is not different than any other time of the year. :wave: You may see two men holding hands at the same time here and there but who cares about that. LOL

I went back in 2000 unknowingly and have to disagree. There were many gay people who used it as an opportunity to throw it in other people's face. People wearing "I can't even think straight" shirts for example. "Disney Gay Day" was another t-shirt. There were lots of making out too. I don't care if someone is gay, but there are alot of children around. When it's me and my wife I save that stuff for the room.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I've never understood Gay Days. I have nothing against gay people, but I don't understand the need to announce to the world your sexual preference. Who cares? I like women, but I don't feel the need to wear a shirt letting everyone I do. It's not like showing your support of a sports team or a band that you like.

Sexual, religious and political views, in my opinion, have no place in a place like Disney World. Believe what you want to believe, but keep it to yourself.

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
I went back in 2000 unknowingly and have to disagree. There were many gay people who used it as an opportunity to throw it in other people's face. People wearing "I can't even think straight" shirts for example. "Disney Gay Day" was another t-shirt. There were lots of making out too. I don't care if someone is gay, but there are alot of children around. When it's me and my wife I save that stuff for the room.

You are exactly correct and saved me some typing. In the early 2000's, Gay Days got a REALLY bad rap, and rightfully so. My brother and I visited twice during the event, in the early 2000's - and felt beyond uncomfortable.

There was behavior taking place that straight people don't participate in, in public. It was inappropriate beyond comprehension, and those years are what has given the event the negative stigma it's trying to lose.

If a family was going to go that week anytime in the early to mid 2000s, I simply advised them to steer clear - unless they were prepared to answer a LOT of questions.

Today, however, I believe Disney has taken action and advised them that they need to "behave" if they want to continue to receive cooperation from Disney. I've overlapped the tail end of the event in the last 6 years, and like some of the earlier posters said, It's no different than any other day at the parks. You don't see the freak shows you used to see, and the PDA has been reduced significantly.

Besides, you're among friendly gay company any other time at WDW, as a good sized portion of the Cast shares an alternative lifestyle....but they make some of the best CMs too!

If nothing else, go to their website (I'm not going to link to it here, but you can quickly find it on google) and look at their event calendar. You can just avoid their park of choice each day - which would be a good idea regardless because the crowds increase significantly.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

Go and give it a try. I'm sure you'll have a great time. It's fun and everyone is really enjoying themselves. I'm sure your nieces and nephews will have a blast. And after all they are going with their uncle who is gay so I'm sure they are fine.

Until you go you can't have an opinion on whether you like it or not.

I give it thumbs up.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

I've been at Disney World for 7 Gay Days (working in 1996 and 1997 and vacationing in other years)- and no I am not gay. It is no different from any time of year however if you go there looking for things you will find them.

Also, some people tend to blame every persons actions on being gay - they were loud because they're gay, rude because their gay, obnoxious because they're gay...it's simply not true. There are more incidents of rude, obnoxious and loud straight people, I'm sure.

Personally I would rather be there when there are more gay people than the cheerleader families. They stomp around in their little matching shirts "I'm a Cheer Mom" and "My sister is a cheerleader" demand special treatment. Do cheers in line ups, push past people. I have had much worse experiences with cheerleaders than gay couples so you can't really go by a few people's comments because I'm sure most people on here think the cheer groups are great.

I have never seen gay couples do anything other than hold hands so I doubt the incidents of them making out is any higher than straight couples making out and personally I think anyone (gay or straight) who finds the need to make out in a park needs some lessons in manners and self-esteem.

Upvote 0

Sans Souci

I have seen many a straight people close to getting their mack on at WDW. Last August, I saw two young adults dry-humping in the Drawing Room at BCV. That is just one example.

So, let's not act like lasciviousness is the sole provenance of the LGBT community, k?

Upvote 0

captainkidd

And I think it's a good time to break out this blog post that I wrote last year once again-
please read and let me know what you think.
Thanks

http://wdwprince.com/?p=3520

:animwink:

Nice article.

I don't think you're wrong. I just don't happen to be big on self-expression of sexual, political and religious views inside of an amusement park. Personally, I don't see the need for it anywhere. Be who you are, believe what you believe, and leave it at that. That's just me.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Nice article.

I don't think you're wrong. I just don't happen to be big on self-expression of sexual, political and religious views inside of an amusement park. Personally, I don't see the need for it anywhere. Be who you are, believe what you believe, and leave it at that. That's just me.

I agree, I do not think that sexual, political and religious views define a person any more so than the color of their eyes or the type of shoes that they wear.

Upvote 0

menamechris

I don;t disagree, which is why I think it is time for Disney to stop hosting Night of Joy. They are endorsing a group based on religious beliefs - because they can make money off of it. At least for Gay Days, Disney makes it clear that they are in no way endorsing or promoting the event. If any group wants to have an annual "outing" at the parks, that is certainly their prerogative. As someone else said, I don't find this anymore perplexing than when the cheerleader families all flood the parks, or you see tour groups...

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

A friend of mine and her family went unknowingly during that time and she was nervous because she didn't know what to expect and her kids were small. I asked her how it was when she got back and she said the only difference you could tell was a lot of red shirts. The most disturbing thing she saw was a fairly large man with a tutu on and Minnie Mouse ears.

Quite frankly I've seen couples (straight) who seriously need to get a room and some women who look like they came directly from their street walking job to the park. There's no hold on tacky, irresponsible or embarrassing behavior on one group of people, lol. :p

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

I see that kind of stuff during October in WDW. That's nothing. And of course you're going to have the ones who automatically assume that everyone hates them for being gay so they will throw it in your face (metaphorically speaking :lookaroun) and dare you to say anything. I see that crap out here at 4th Street Live in Louisville, KY all the time. They do things like that and wait to see if you are going to be "disgusted" by it. I just laugh, which es them off even more. My cousin and his partner are the ones who get ed when they see them doing that sort of thing. It looks bad and gives a bat reputation. You don't have to go to Gay Days in WDW to see that. Stop looking for it if it upsets you. :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom