Gaston's Tavern

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think for "Signature" (when it comes to CRT) the definition needs to include the uniqueness of the setting, as opposed to the what is or is not offered. No, alcohol is not offered at CRT, but it is a Signature Dining restaurant because of where you're dining as much as anything else....

I agree, but, IMO and I think many other peoples. If you do not offer a Wine list, it is hardly a signature dining experience. I can not think of a single fine dining establishment that does not have a wine list.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I agree, but, IMO and I think many other peoples. If you do not offer a Wine list, it is hardly a signature dining experience. I can not think of a single fine dining establishment that does not have a wine list.

I don't disagree, and have enjoyed many a fine libation at WDW (including some of the establishments on the Signature Dining List, among them Victoria & Albert's). But for MK, CRT is the Signature "norm," for lack of a better term. It does pretty well without alcohol, as does the rest of the park. I just don't see a compelling reason to change that status....

sod4

I think these unique food/drink offerings are more likely coming to Carsland in DCA.

Too bad someone is already producing 'Old Engine Oil'.

And to add my 2 cents to the discussion, I'm in favor of having wine and beer (classy beer) available at sitdown meals. I definitely wouldn't want to see kiosks or counter service places with alcohol. I think it would detract from the extremely kid-friendly atmosphere of the parks.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't disagree, and have enjoyed many a fine libation at WDW (including some of the establishments on the Signature Dining List, among them Victoria & Albert's). But for MK, CRT is the Signature "norm," for lack of a better term. It does pretty well without alcohol, as does the rest of the park. I just don't see a compelling reason to change that status....

I agree. It is not really a compelling enough reason. I don't think MK should deviate from its dry park policy. But if I am looking for fine dining, it is onto the monorail with me. Which is perfectly acceptable.

PhilharMagician

Disney's own definition of Signature Dining would state otherwise.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=719300&highlight=Signature

Facts? Why do we need facts to muddy up the conversation. :lookaroun

I think for "Signature" (when it comes to CRT) the definition needs to include the uniqueness of the setting, as opposed to the what is or is not offered. No, alcohol is not offered at CRT, but it is a Signature Dining restaurant because of where you're dining as much as anything else....

San Angel Inn, SciFi both have very unique settings?

There is no reason to change the definition of the term "Signature Dining". If Disney wants CRT to be listed as Signature, then offer wine and better food offerings. The only signature thing about CRT is the price!

DL is supposedly dry except for of course Club 33. So, why not make exceptions at MK also? I agree that beer carts and bars are not really required, but if someone would like an adult beverage with a TS meal then why not.

ob1thx1138

There is no reason to change the definition of the term "Signature Dining". If Disney wants CRT to be listed as Signature, then offer wine and better food offerings. The only signature thing about CRT is the price!

DL is supposedly dry except for of course Club 33. So, why not make exceptions at MK also? I agree that beer carts and bars are not really required, but if someone would like an adult beverage with a TS meal then why not.

CRT is a signature dining spot because it can be. Even with the price and requirement of 2 TS Credits the place is packed. I am sure they could almost double the price and require 3 or 4 meal credits and it would still be packed because parents are willing to pay almost anything to give their children the experience of eating with the princess in the castle. I have to admit that I have never been because neither of my boys are the least bit interested, but almost every review I have read has stated that the food was not all that great at best. Now could any of the other signature restaurants get away with that? Sure the dinner shows get away with "decent" food but then again you are not only paying for the food you are paying for the show. And I guess you could say the same about CRT but really it is nothing more than any other character meal only you get to dine with princess instead of animals with big heads or some of the "lesser" face charaters. But for my money I would much rather eat at 1900 park Fare. The Hatter is a nut. lol

As for whether the MK should stay dry. Yes I think it should. Except for maybe the nicer Table service restaurants that are not character meals. Honestly I wish they would open up a signature Restaurant in the MK on par with the Brown Derby or perhaps California Grill. Someplace to get out of the heat and enjoy a high quality meal and yes a glass of beer or wine.

PhilharMagician

CRT is a signature dining spot because it can be. Even with the price and requirement of 2 TS Credits the place is packed. I am sure they could almost double the price and require 3 or 4 meal credits and it would still be packed because parents are willing to pay almost anything to give their children the experience of eating with the princess in the castle. I have to admit that I have never been because neither of my boys are the least bit interested, but almost every review I have read has stated that the food was not all that great at best. Now could any of the other signature restaurants get away with that? Sure the dinner shows get away with "decent" food but then again you are not only paying for the food you are paying for the show. And I guess you could say the same about CRT but really it is nothing more than any other character meal only you get to dine with princess instead of animals with big heads or some of the "lesser" face charaters. But for my money I would much rather eat at 1900 park Fare. The Hatter is a nut. lol

As for whether the MK should stay dry. Yes I think it should. Except for maybe the nicer Table service restaurants that are not character meals. Honestly I wish they would open up a signature Restaurant in the MK on par with the Brown Derby or perhaps California Grill. Someplace to get out of the heat and enjoy a high quality meal and yes a glass of beer or wine.

CRT is classified as Character Dining according to Disney. It is definately not a Signature Dining location!

Below info from WDW dining website:

Cuisine: American
Breakfast
Experience: Character Dining
Service: A la Carte
Price Level: $$$ ($36 to $59.99)
Lunch
Service: Prix Fixe Menu
Dinner

You are right, many people would pay much more just to eat there. I personally think it is insane to pay that much for an average meal, oh and a picture. We have been to CRT many times, but I just cannot bring myself to pay the current prices to go back. I could find my money spent better at California Grill and get much better quality of service and food.

I also agree that 1900 Park Fare is superior to CRT and it is almost $20.00 cheaper for dinner.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Also the opportunity to eat in Cinderella's Castle, which is a little more unique than a drive-in or Mexican restaurant. Which is why CRT is a Signature restaurant according to Disney....

ob1thx1138

CRT is classified as Character Dining according to Disney. It is definately not a Signature Dining location!

Below info from WDW dining website:

Cuisine: American
Breakfast
Service: A la Carte
Lunch
Dinner

You are right, many people would pay much more just to eat there. I personally think it is insane to pay that much for an average meal, oh and a picture. We have been to CRT many times, but I just cannot bring myself to pay the current prices to go back. I could find my money spent better at California Grill and get much better quality of service and food.

I also agree that 1900 Park Fare is superior to CRT and it is almost $20.00 cheaper for dinner.

I apologize, I was using the term Signature Dining as a generic term for anything that takes two credits.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
To me they can call them what they want to, but I think it is time that Disney takes a look at why you can not buy a drink with dinner at a seat down location in the Magic King. The park already as a ABC permit and drinks are served at private events all the time.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Because private events are just that. There's no huge groundswell to change the policy for one park out of four, and if you want a drink with dinner there's what, four or five readily accessible resorts within a short distance of MK that fill the need?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Because private events are just that. There's no huge groundswell to change the policy for one park out of four, and if you want a drink with dinner there's what, four or five readily accessible resorts within a short distance of MK that fill the need?

I think that for me, I have not had a meal at the MK that I would consider one "worthy" of having a glass of wine or beer. I tend to spring for those when it's going to be a decent-to-good meal, as the drink compliments the good food well enough to be worth spending all the extra price that any restaurant marks up their alcoholic beverages.

A nice meal at Epcot or one of the resorts to me can seem worthy of wanting a glass of wine with. None of the meals at the MK have ever made me not think "ehhh, a Coke is good enough".

If they ever "upscale" any of their dining establishments, maybe then they should consider it. Until then, I'm ok eating my Taco Salad with a soda.

(And just to potentially stop this before it starts, I have nothing wrong with the standard amusement park fare at MK. I love the above mentioned Taco Salad and would not consider my trip complete without one. I'm just sayin' I'm ok not paying $10 for a beer while enjoying one. If I was on the other hand say having some form of nicer dinner, a lamb shank or something at a nice table service offering, I'd like to be able to order a glass of wine with that. Until that time though, I see no real point.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom