Gaston's Tavern.....Worthwhile or Waste of Space?

MillerPoppins

I think it's a nice spot to sit and relax for a bit but not overwhelming with choices. The LeFou's Brew is clearly a direct competition to Butter Beer over at WWOHP. The theming is fantastic but there isn't anything on the menu that really jumps out at me. Besides, I really can't picture Gaston eating Hummus...:D

HouCuseChickie

As for OPs ?- I can't speak for the food or drink as we popped in to kill some time before our ADR time opened up for BoG, but I love what they've done with the place. :D Just great use of antlers and fur! Not that it matches any of our decor, but I told DH I'd like one of these hanging in our entry....

And like someone previously noted...it's a snack spot...i.e. since BoG covers the QS option for those parts at lunch. Considering we're planning an early dinner on our MNSSHP night- I'm really hoping Gaston's will be open during the party so I can make a later evening snack of the pork shank. Just sounds great!

Tomi-Rocket

I agree, I was surprised at the few offerings, I thought there would be more. I have no desire to try LeFou's Brew either. It is cool, though, I saw it in Nov.

71jason

LeFou's Brew--which is basically just an apple slush with some nasty foam on top--plays well with the pork shank. They work better together than individually. A decent quick meal, but not anything I'd go out of my way for. Then again, I've never been a turkey leg fan, either.

disneyfan1995

I really enjoyed Gaston's tavern. It's well designed and fits the Beauty and the Beast atmosphere. It's a nice place to sit and relax when it isn't the lunch/dinner rush. I was able to sit down and drink my Lefou's brew and enjoy my chocolate croissant, which was great. It was a nice way to unwind and kill sometime before one of my fastpass times.

RonAnnArbor

Um, the reasoning on this thread isn't really accurate -- the entire reason New Fantasyland is there is to have increased sales at BOG restaurant, the quickservice walk-ups, and the shops. Don't for a minute kid yourself that New Fantasyland was put there for attractions and guest experience -- it was deliberately put there to increase foot traffic to the shops and food. So, I guess the "waste of space" question isn't the right question -- at least to Disney who LOVES the new shops. I guess a better question would be "do you like the food they have at gaston's tavern?" -- the answer there would be, no, for me. But not for the thousands of others that bring in megabucks into that site every day.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Always best to physically visit a place before condemning it on the interwebs.....
Nonsense, the place is an enormous waste of space....the food offerings are minimal, the decor is sub par and that drink thing they have taste like cr*p.....wait what place are we talking about...?..regardless whatever and wherever it is it sucks horribly.

5thGenTexan

Would you make a special trip there just for the pork shank? If so, then I guess in your case it would be worthwhile. I'd love to know the cost to build GT and ask why their snack offerings are so weak (i.e. mixed fruit cup, apples w/caramel sauce, mixed veggie cup w/dip). I agree it's very well themed, I'm impressed with that aspect, but for what it is, it appears to fall way short of being a big draw (except perhaps for those who haven't seen the New Fantasyland at all yet). I would suggest they try and bring out more specialty drinks.

We had ONE day in the parks on our last cruise. At 7:00 am we had disembarked at Port Canaveral and were on a bus bound for Magic Kingdom. By about 10:00 am I was really feeling like I needed something other than the banana I ate before we left the ship. We bought a pork shank for my wife and I and apple slices for the kids to hold us over till lunch.

When we return at some point, I may head over to get a pork shank before anything else. I think it was awesomness on a bone, and I won't share this time. I never once thought Gaston's Tavern istelf was a waste of space. Don't get that. :confused:

jw24

Waste of space? Hardly, not if you're getting a pork shank, which is not so salty and more flavorful compared to the turkey leg in my opinion :D It is a matter of personal opinion but I thoroughly enjoyed the tavern. The pork shanks, the decor, you name it. I think if you're a fan of the movie, you'll appreciate it much more. If not, probably not. I mean, millions will come and see the decor and want their picture taken in the famous skin covered seat with the portrait of Gaston right on top if interested while trying Lefou's Brew, a pork shank or whatever. Granted the things they serve are stuff you would more likely see on a food stand or cart but I mean, a tavern needs seating, otherwise, it wouldn't be called a tavern! btw, I do agree the brew and shank compliment each other and that eating one without the other makes it not so tasty.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I believe they have taken on a version of my beloved Main St. Bakery Cinnamon Roll. The version they have is rumored to be a bit tougher and to have a maple glaze on it. I'm going to reserve judgment on it until I try it myself in late May. The MSB Cinnamon Roll was the ultimate welcome to WDW/ comfort food for me.
Of course Gaston would have to have "tougher" cinamon rolls ;) way more manly.
Tried le fou's brew here and liked it very much. Didn't look at the food as was just in for a drink but it seemed pretty cool.
BTW butterbeer is better than le Fou's brew ... just saying

Aurora1

I loved Gaston's Tavern! As a huge B&TB fan, the theming was great and the atmosphere was fun. We went in to kill a few minutes before meeting Gaston at his M&G right outside, and I was impressed by how well-decorated it was. Sure, the food items are limited, but that whole section is trying to immerse you in Belle's town- between her house, the tavern and the castle, you get the feel that you're in a different section of the MK. Gaston's M&G is probably the best, funniest one I've ever been to- to get him out and about mingling with guests, I definitely think the tavern's worth it!

BoarderPhreak

It's the most beautifully themed area of any part of WDW, IMO. So that's certainly nice to see.

Gaston's Tavern is a bit of a waste, but I don't begrudge it. It's part of the whole package... The neighboring gift shop, the bathrooms back there, BOG, TLM, AG, 7DMT and of course the "Tangled bathrooms." Soon we'll have the new MnG area...

Wait until it's all done - then judge.

DisneyDebNJ

The pork shank is one of the best snacks in WDW. Even without that, the restaurant is very well themed inside and out. As with most things, it fall under the premise of "Just because you do not like it does not make it bad."
I was actually looking forward to trying Gaston's this Fall. Yoda, are the shanks fatty?

jrab0616

I love Gaston's when we were there last week. It's probably my new favorite place for a snack or small meal. I LOVED Lefu's Brew! But I love anything apple. And the toasted marshmallow flavoring was great! I even enjoyed the fruit foam on top! I ended up drinking most of it and DH just had a few sips. The pork shank was really good too. SOOO much better than the turkey leg, though they have a very similar flavor. The pork shank was much easier to eat and didn't have as much fat or tendons. I love the themeing of this whole section of the park and especially at Gaston's. It's was great! While I do agree that there could be more seating space and more menu options, It's really just more of a specialty place and not really meant to be a full QS place. That's what BOG is for.

2013-05-26 10.02.13 by jrab616, on Flickr

2013-05-26 14.00.58 by jrab616, on Flickr

UofMGuy423

We stopped in there late one night in March and thought the atmosphere was pretty cool, but I was surprised at how small it was. We also were looking for some snacks for the kids and didn't really see anything on the menu worth getting, so we went somewhere else. Probably wouldn't bother stopping in there again, but I don't mind that's it there. Better than a gift shop I suppose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom