Gasoline - hard to get in Orlando?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I am a good bit north of Orlando in Jacksonville, Florida does not seem to be suffering the same gas shortages that Georgia is experiencing. I have not seen a station closed here in Jacksonville since the day before and after Ike.

hpyhnt 1000

We're good down here in South Florida, also. I'm thinking that if there was a gas shortage in Orlando (the vacation destination of the world), we'd be hearing about it.

krankenstein

While I am a good bit north of Orlando in Jacksonville, Florida does not seem to be suffering the same gas shortages that Georgia is experiencing. I have not seen a station closed here in Jacksonville since the day before and after Ike.

No shortages here in South Georgia. Shortages are mainly isolated to North Georgia.

Moustronaut

Isn't that due to north Georgia requiring some specific low polluting grade of gas that is not commonly used anywhere else?
Partly yes, North Georgia does have special low sulfur fuel requirements. The EPA has granted a waiver to allow higher sulfur fuels in North Georgia to help reduce shortages after Ike.

But like anything else in the real world, the problem is much more complicated than just that.

One a side note, we're (Atlanta) starting to get our gas back. :sohappy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Partly yes, North Georgia does have special low sulfur fuel requirements. The EPA has granted a waiver to allow higher sulfur fuels in North Georgia to help reduce shortages after Ike.

But like anything else in the real world, the problem is much more complicated than just that.

This is something that has always stuck in my head. Can't we somehow come to a nation wide consensus on a particular formulation of gas and use it nation wide? It just makes sense to me that it would be less expensive to make 50 billion gallons of the same gas then 1 billion gallons of 50 different types of gas.

lilredfoxie

This is something that has always stuck in my head. Can't we somehow come to a nation wide consensus on a particular formulation of gas and use it nation wide? It just makes sense to me that it would be less expensive to make 50 billion gallons of the same gas then 1 billion gallons of 50 different types of gas.

It would make sense, probably would make things cheaper too and it would make us less vulnerable to shortages if everywhere in the USA had the exact same gasoline and if there's supply problems in one place, we can divert fuel from elsewhere over there.

C&D

Here's a great website: www.gasbuddy.com Generally the higher the price of gasoline is where the shorter supplies are. Florida is looking good. We just got back last Friday and no problems what so ever in getting fuel; prices were surprisingly competitive. (Remember that rip-off station, I believe it was a Chevron, right at the entrance to Hotel Blvd. at exit 68, well it was closed; serves them right.)

Goofynana

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. For our "Grand Gathering" in 3 :sohappy: days, my daughter and family are driving in from Atlanta and was wondering about the situation. She said it has been terrible in Atlanta. :shrug:

Chape19714

As part of the year of a million dreams and for your tank-filling pleasure Walt Disney World has partnered with Hess to provide gasoline at three locations on Disney Property, none of which feature a shortage (besides the shortage of not enough pumps for the number of cars waiting for fuel during peak times.) Hess stations are at Downtown Disney (across from the Pleasure Island Sign :cry:), Near the Boardwalk Resort, and leaving the Magic Kingdom Main Parking lot (TTC).

Sorry feeling like being offical about statements right now.

lebeau

We just got back from our trip on 09/21. There were no gas shortages while we were down there. Although the guy at the Alamo counter at the airport told me point blank that there was no gas in Orlando. Not only was there gas, it was cheaper down there than it is up here!

The same guy at Alamo kept telling me we couldn't squeeze 4 adults and 1 child into a full sized car. He kept telling me he would cut me a deal on a mini-van, but if I walked away the deal was off and I would have to pay full price when I inevitably came running back asking for a minivan. "No way," he kept saying and shaking his head.

Naturally, we all fit quite comfortably into our full sized Impala.

It made me sick how this guy tried to scare me into spending more money.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

It doesnt help when you import 10,000 Alabama fans and 90,000 UGA fans for a game in North georgia this past weekend.:drevil:

You know you are making too much sense... you lose points for that. :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We just got back from our trip on 09/21. There were no gas shortages while we were down there. Although the guy at the Alamo counter at the airport told me point blank that there was no gas in Orlando. Not only was there gas, it was cheaper down there than it is up here!

The same guy at Alamo kept telling me we couldn't squeeze 4 adults and 1 child into a full sized car. He kept telling me he would cut me a deal on a mini-van, but if I walked away the deal was off and I would have to pay full price when I inevitably came running back asking for a minivan. "No way," he kept saying and shaking his head.

Naturally, we all fit quite comfortably into our full sized Impala.

It made me sick how this guy tried to scare me into spending more money.
You have to love those car rental agents. I think they were once used car salesmen that were fired for being too pushy. I am currently in a rental car due to my van being in an accident. The agent was pushing all of this different king of insurance coverage to the tune of around $20 a day.

me: "Uh dude my car insurance already covers me back off"

agent: "Well you know you will have to pay your insurance deductible if you are in an accident."

me: "So let me get this straight. You want me to pay you $420 to avoid the off chance possibility that I might wreck this car and have to pay a $250 deductible?"

agent: "Uhhhh"

me: "That is what I thought. Can I have the keys now?"

:brick::brick::brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom