Gas Prices affecting anyone's trip plans?

minniemickeyfan

We are leaving Memorial Day weekend and planning on driving, even with $5 a gallon it would still be cheaper for us to drive than fly right now. So we are still planning on going, even though it might be more to budget.
But I was wondering if anyone is thinking of changing their trip plans due to gas prices? Or you willing to just pay more?

I saw a news report today about gas prices. They were talking about how it is close to $4.50 in California but it then showed a station in Orlando where the price is $5.89. What a crazy price there. The report did not say where in Orlando that gas station was located, probably right outside the parks. We have done both, driven and flown from CT. We compare the cost of gas to drive to the cost of flights for 4 people and go with whichever is cheaper. If prices keep going up and up we may have to shorten our trips to make up for the extra cost of fuel.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I saw a news report today about gas prices. They were talking about how it is close to $4.50 in California but it then showed a station in Orlando where the price is $5.89. What a crazy price there. The report did not say where in Orlando that gas station was located, probably right outside the parks. We have done both, driven and flown from CT. We compare the cost of gas to drive to the cost of flights for 4 people and go with whichever is cheaper. If prices keep going up and up we may have to shorten our trips to make up for the extra cost of fuel.

It is likely right near the airport. There was a station, Suncoast Energys, that was showcased as the most expensive in the nation last time prices really spiked. Their prices are usually near $6 a gallon as unsuspecting people come to fill up their rental cars before returning them. There was no law requiring them to post prices on the road, so people usually found out when it was too late. Since then a law has been passed to prevent this sort of thing, but I have no idea if this place is complying or not. Gas near the parks (including the stations on property) are reasonably priced for the most part. Well, as reasonably priced as they can be nowadays.

Upvote 0

WDW1974

I'll just say I started the original thread, which disappeared into the ether. I don't feel it was political in any real way (you can call anything anything if you choose) ... beyond saying our economy isn't capable of sustaining prices of $3-4 a gallon gas, let alone $5.

I have no idea what went on in the 14 hours I was away from MAGIC that may have caused it to disappear.

And I don't even really wish to comment too much here because I don't like wasting my time and having my posts disappear.

This is a very important issue to ANYONE traveling ANYWHERE this spring and summer as oil prices continue to rise.

~Anyone else feel gassy?~

Upvote 0

timeman

I drive and it will affect how much I spend at the parks, but I will still go. I just looked online and the cost of gas around Disney is running around $3.69 a gallon at the moment. The site that I check to see gas prices is one of the best. It updates prices nightly based on actual recorded sales at the stations unlike Gasbuddy which is based on the public posting prices they have seen. The good thing is that you don't need to enter a zip code as you can zoom in on any part of the country to check out prices. The site is http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx

Upvote 0

chipndale09

it has definitly affected our decision on what mode of transport we use to reach WDW. We choose to drive, even though it is a 22 hrs drive, it cost us $450 is gas (that is with the V8 5.4 L) and maybe another $200 in best westerns . If we flew during the same period would cost $1900 return.

Plus driving is part of the fun, as Clark Griswold said, "driving is half adventure kids":lol:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We almost always drive. This time we are going with a larger group and managed to get non-stop airfare for roughly $200 per person for our June trip. for our family of 4 this will be about the same price (or cheaper) than driving. Our drive is roughly 18 hours and we never do a stop over...just keep going is our motto. I will miss the drive as we are a "Griswold Family". But it sure will be nice to arrive at WDW in less time than it normally takes us to get out of Illinois.

I should note we did get Free dining for this trip and if we hadn't received that pin code our trip would have been much shorter...or we would have eaten fewer sit down meals if $$$ became an issue.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

We were contemplating flying when we visit in Nov, but air out of Houston- regardless of carrier - has just been really high. I keep looking just in case - and will continue to do so for the next 6 or so months - but I just see driving being better on the wallet...even if gas prices spike. Seriously- at $350-450 pp for a fam of 4- driving wins! Of course, then the great vehicle debate comes into play. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
We live in the Atlanta area with a family of 5. To travel by air would cost us around $1500 vs $175 in gas to drive. I can usually drive from my door to Mickey's door on one tank in my minivan, but usually stop for gas in Valdosta, GA or Gainesville, FL. We don't anticipate gas affecting our visit as far as the drive, but we recognize that when gas prices go up other things go up as well. We skipped WDW last year, but plan on pushing our trip back to X-mas time when we anticipate having lower gas prices.

Upvote 0

jlevis

We drive from Michigan and will continue to do so. We stay off site in our timeshares and so need a car. The airfare plus a rental car make driving down a less expensive option. I haven't done the math lately but suspect that if gas gets above $5 a gallon that might change the equation. But we'll still drive but budget differently.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
While costs go up.. I don't see how they will go up enough to alter people's plans.

If you live 1200 miles away and get 20mpg on the highway.. that is 60 gallons of gas one way or 120 both ways.

If gas goes up a full DOLLAR.. that is only $120 extra in costs. That's like one meal in WDW for a family.

I have a hard time thinking $100-$200 extra in gas is going to break someone's vacation that they normally are going to spend a few thousands dollars on at least.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

While costs go up.. I don't see how they will go up enough to alter people's plans.

If you live 1200 miles away and get 20mpg on the highway.. that is 60 gallons of gas one way or 120 both ways.

If gas goes up a full DOLLAR.. that is only $120 extra in costs. That's like one meal in WDW for a family.

I have a hard time thinking $100-$200 extra in gas is going to break someone's vacation that they normally are going to spend a few thousands dollars on at least.

You DO realize that when the price of gas goes up, everything else does as well, right?

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

While my situation is a bit different, gas prices have definitely affected my travel plans. I live about 100 miles from Disney and would usually go every 2-3 weeks, but it will be 5 weeks between visits this time. I thought about going for a day last week, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. That decision was solely based off the gas. The $35 or so to go wouldn't have killed me financially, but it certainly does help to sway the decision. In addition, while an extra 120 or so won't change the plans of most people, there are some people who do save for years in order to go to Disney (or on any vacation for that matter). An extra 120 for them could mean putting that trip off for a few months in order to make this a reality now.

Upvote 0
Think youselves lucky!

I know you guys are used to lower gas prices but you think you got it bad?
Locally where I live the average price is £1.30 (around $2.00) per litre!:eek:

Everytime we fill our hire car up in Florida we can never quite believe how little it costs compared to being back home.

Upvote 0

SuprDav

A good topic to talk about indeed. I've had it on my mind for a couple of weeks now. We're not going till Dec. and I hope that prices will have eased by then and not went higher. We will drive when we go.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

yes, what started out as a whirlwind planning process for a quick trip in March turned into the reality of 350 + flights... which squashed our plans and now I am just downright ed lol

one persons flight shouldn't be more than our accommodations on site!

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
You DO realize that when the price of gas goes up, everything else does as well, right?

Not directly enough to alter your planned vacation - the subject of the thread.

Consumer prices are not directly tied to cost - they are set with target margins in mind. If you get margin pressure, you decide if you want to risk raising prices or eat it and find revenue elsewhere.

The cost of your groceries, your stuffed animals, your Disney meals, etc aren't going to go up directly in the short term due to gas price fluctuations. The price variations are far more spread out because of the time it takes for costs to trickle through the supply chain, inventory, and consumer vs commodity pricing models.

Only the industries with high portions of their costs in transportation dare quickly raising prices or surcharges to match fuel costs.

The consumer gas market is a complete fabrication.. with prices speculating on future costs and trying to push what the market will bear. The same supply chain delays happen in fuel as well.. but people don't charge each other on their cost today, they charge based on what they think they need in the long run... so there is always speculation built into the costs passed up the supply chain. That's why prices jump instantaneously at the gas pump when a crisis hits - not because their costs went up that day.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Not directly enough to alter your planned vacation - the subject of the thread.

Of course it does. Do you think the numbers released by travel agencies and AAA are made up? I'm not saying some people aren't overreacting, but the rise in the price of gasoline absolutely makes a difference in many people's vacation plans.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
While my situation is a bit different, gas prices have definitely affected my travel plans. I live about 100 miles from Disney and would usually go every 2-3 weeks, but it will be 5 weeks between visits this time. I thought about going for a day last week, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. That decision was solely based off the gas. The $35 or so to go wouldn't have killed me financially, but it certainly does help to sway the decision. In addition, while an extra 120 or so won't change the plans of most people, there are some people who do save for years in order to go to Disney (or on any vacation for that matter). An extra 120 for them could mean putting that trip off for a few months in order to make this a reality now.

So at 100 miles.. assuming again a basic highway milages of 20mpg.. it costs you 10 gallons to make the round trip. So a jump in a dollar in gas = $10 more for your trip. That's a hamburger at Disney World..

The cost of gas didn't impact your trip - you are just now being more reserved because you are concerned about future costs. That's the equivalent of 'consumer sentiment' - your optimism towards the future which influences your spending now. If you think things are going to be bad, you will be tighter with your wallet.. if you think they are on the up.. you tend to spend more.

The $10 didn't kill your trip - your optimism did.

And as for the people planning for years... a small percentage isn't going to kill their trip. If you let yourself be paralyzed by 5% over something you've set yourself up for 'one shot to do it' - you'll never do anything.

The increase in airfare due to rising fuel costs and tighter capacity is going to influence people far more. Because fuel costs for driving are diffused per person in the car. Rises in airfare are per person and tend to be higher absolute numbers.

Find me the average guest that actually calculates their TRUE cost of gas on a road trip to WDW. They estimate it based on gas prices now and multiply it by how many gallons they need. The mass population does not actual take into account the price differences between WHERE they fill up, or traffic impacts, etc. They estimate it and they are going to be off by a few % anyways.

If you are scared off by a $100-$200 increase your family's vacation you've been saving for years.. the problem is optimism, not true cost. You'll stay one less night, or cut corners somewhere - you won't dump the whole trip over 10%.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Of course it does. Do you think the numbers released by travel agencies and AAA are made up? I'm not saying some people aren't overreacting, but the rise in the price of gasoline absolutely makes a difference in many people's vacation plans.

Gas prices tend to far more influence 'weekend trips' and other discretionary travel. Disney is not short-term thinking travel for people. It's something most people book well in advance and lock into.. not go 'hrmm.. should we goto Disney next week??'

The point you made and I responded to was your claim that gas prices make EVERYTHING go up. Yes they do, but not in the short term. Consumer prices are very insulated from commodities fluctuations. The produce table and gas pump are typically where you see the greatest volatility and speed in reacting to market conditions.

Coca-Cola isn't going to raise the price of your 2L bottle of soda today because gas went up .30 cents yesterday.

So again to the topic of the thread - the cost of gas going up shouldn't scare anyone off their trip. It will have marginal impact. But what it does influence is consumer sentiment. That is what will cause people to cancel trips - not increased cost. It's fear of future costs.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom