Game of Thrones season 8 announced

LittleBuford

The bit about Tyrion’s not being mentioned in the chronicle was just silly and nonsensical, a bit of pseudo-comedic fluff rather than a meaningful contribution to the narrative. All it did was add to the hokey feel of the episode after Dany’s death.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The bit about Tyrion’s not being mentioned in the chronicle was just silly and nonsensical, a bit of pseudo-comedic fluff rather than a meaningful contribution to the narrative. All it did was add to the hokey feel of the episode after Dany’s death.

I enjoyed it more than the drawn out sequence of Brianne struggling with the book of the commanders of the kingsguard. It brought some perspective that POV matters... and not all is just what we see in the show per say.. where as the Brianne moment is complicated to follow (reading her written words), long, and frankly we didn't need much more closure there.

I think Braun as the master of coin was far more odd-ball and over played. One joke about the brothels would probably would have sufficed... but they beat it to death a good bit. I'm glad they closed the loop on him... but not in the way they did. Didn't feel very credible

LittleBuford

I enjoyed it more than the drawn out sequence of Brianne struggling with the book of the commanders of the kingsguard. It brought some perspective that POV matters... and not all is just what we see in the show per say.. where as the Brianne moment is complicated to follow (reading her written words), long, and frankly we didn't need much more closure there.

I didn’t much like that sequence either. My problem with Tyrion’s exclusion is that it goes well beyond being a commentary on POV. He was Hand of the King (and then of the Queen); he was tried for murdering Joffrey; he killed Tywin Lannister. No chronicler could or would have left him out of the story.

I think Braun as the master of coin was far more odd-ball and over played. One joke about the brothels would probably would have sufficed... but they beat it to death a good bit. I'm glad they closed the loop on him... but not in the way they did. Didn't feel very credible

Bronn’s being given a seat on the council was the height of absurdity.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

This sums up my feelings kind of. I still enjoyed it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
How would we have liked it to end?

In no particular ranking... some of the angles that probably would have excited me more...

- Jon to take out Dany in more of Coup d'état in a crowd of in front of a popular revolt against her... not the 'love birds' angle
- Westerosi pushing the dothroki out
- Tyrion being forced to escape and be on the run from Dany rather than just handed over
- Arya heading back to the old world with a meaningful vengeance/purpose
- The north separating being contested leading into tension for the departing show.. not complacency.. the game must go on..
- Sam's idea of democracy actually gaining traction through uprising/liberation
- Some sort of immediate reprisal/uprising after Dany's victory
- Jon taking Drogon... not just 'fly away little birdy...'
- Dany struggling to hold her claim against Jon's identity due to cunning lords and westerosi... forcing some sort of final conflict where she goes down

LittleBuford

Well then... that's a different show :p

As much as you keep discounting the books vs the show.. the starks are basically one of the most central houses in westeros... ya needed to pickup on that :)

“One of”, as you yourself note. That doesn’t mean I should have expected the last sequence to be entirely devoted to a single family’s successes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
“One of”, as you yourself note. That doesn’t mean I should have expected the last sequence to be entirely devoted to a single family’s successes.

All the other major houses are basically dead :) Everyone at that council are the scraps left from those in waiting.

Only Martell from Dorne come out largely unscathed... besides losing the dad, and basically all his heirs :)

LittleBuford

All the other major houses are basically dead :) Everyone at that council are the scraps left from those in waiting.

Only Martell from Dorne come out largely unscathed... besides losing the dad, and basically all his heirs :)

For a show of such profound scope—covering a vast geography and full of interesting characters—to end with a montage celebrating the achievements of four siblings was hugely disappointing in my view. (And yes, for all intents and purposes, Jon became Ned’s son again in this episode.)

flynnibus

Premium Member
For a show of such profound scope—covering a vast geography and full of interesting characters—to end with a montage celebrating the achievements of four siblings was hugely disappointing in my view. (And yes, for all intents and purposes, Jon became Ned’s son again in this episode.)

and to that I'd say.. watch how episode 1 starts again :) To say 'full circle' is a popular literary technique.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The first scene of the series involved not a single Stark.

Anyway, you asked an open question, and I gave my personal answer. YMMV, as they say.

No...it was the second.

But I think they should have come full circle.

As far as the starks go...they had the most characters...they had more survive than any other...they had 4 die in exotic ways...

I don’t see how it’s possible that being about the starks “snuck up” on anyone??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom