Game of Thrones season 8 announced

Wendy Pleakley

I'll give this episode credit for ending the series on a decent note.

For a season that felt very predictable, as if they were working off a checklist, I found everything after the inevitable death of Daenery's wasn't necessarily completely obvious.

I understand why they wanted to get rid of the iron throne, as a symbolic move that subverts the endless speculating as to "who will sit on the throne at the end". However, the dragon melting it down was really really stupid.

Amazing that a dragon understood the symbolism of the throne and melted it in an act of defiance. Preceded by yet another stupid death stare down. Just as we didn't need to linger on whether or not Cersei was going to strike down Tyrion, we don't need the pointless will he die or won't be non-suspenseful showdown between Jon and the dragon.

I see they also went to the Lord of the Rings school of "is this the ending? Is this the ending? Now is it the ending?".

I was amused by the promo before the show, the "HBO has other shows, really, please don't cancel" one.

I cannot imagine they won't be considering a sequel down the road. This leaves things wide open.

Do I sound overly critical? I liked the episode. I really did. I think.

sedati

I was overall happy with the series ending and the show as a whole. Sure there's details to analyze, but the broad strokes were wonderful to see depicted. Absolute power corrupts absolutely (remember, even Frodo fell to the power of the ring.) There is no clear good and evil in war. Peace through dominance and damnation is not peace. Environmental threats affect us all and can be more deadly than human ones. Women should be in power, but that doesn't mean they'd be better. There is wisdom in age and youth. Strength comes in all shapes and sizes. Dragons are awesome.

This is a show that deserved the world's attention. While there are legitimate gripes, Martin, Benioff, Weiss, and all the rest accomplished a phenomenal feat and I thank them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well... that was an episode...

The finale for How I Met Your Mother still counts as the worst I’ve ever seen (and before people jump in- I have only watched one episode of Dexter, and it wasn’t the finale). This... well, it wasn’t great, but it wasn’t as bad as HIMYM. One of my friends even said ‘At least Firefly had a better ending.’

I’ll need to think about it for a bit. I’m just happy Jon pet his dang dog.

I can’t lie...I think it might have been “too happy”

There was a rumor of a last shot twist that didn’t happen...it coulda been perfect

Tony Perkis

I want your all’s opinion on something.

I made a beer bet with a habitual liar about how the show would end.

I said Tyrion would end up on the Iron Throne. I was wrong, and will honor said bet ($2 Lone Star).

The guy said 4 very specific things:

1) Bran would be king
2) Sansa would be queen
3) Jon Snow would lead the Night’s Watch
4) Tyrion would be hand

I want to call this person out in a public setting for getting spoilers on Twitter, but I need to know if enough of this list wasn’t given a foreshadowing. I feel 2 out of 4 is enough.

This was made at 9:30PM CST with the understanding we were avoiding spoilers.

LittleBuford

I liked it more than I thought I would given last week’s disastrous episode, but it was still lacking in coherence and full of plot holes. To wit:

- Why wouldn’t Dany have executed Tyrion then and there on the steps of the Red Keep? It was very obvious at that point that the showrunners had no intention of killing him off.

- Why wouldn’t the Unsullied and/or the Dothraki have killed Jon upon finding out what he’d done to Dany? (And why, for that matter, did he tell them? Oh, right—honour.) Again, an unlikely turn of events that served the showrunners more than it did the internal logic of the narrative.

- Why wouldn’t the rulers of the other constituent kingdoms have also demanded autonomy after seeing Sansa get it? The whole meeting was wrapped up incredibly quickly and neatly. The new Prince of Dorne said literally one word!

- Where did Dany’s Westerosi troops go after participating in last week’s destruction? And just as they disappeared, her army of swarthy foreigners seemed to magically regrow. The show has never dealt well with characters of colour, and this episode confirmed it.

All that said, there were aspects of the finale I enjoyed, and I’m glad (given the available options) that Dany’s conclusion was that of a deluded tragic figure rather than a scheming villain. My favourite moment was Drogon’s heartbreaking (and throne-melting) reaction to his mother’s death. The way he tenderly clasped her before flying off was beautiful.

LittleBuford

I want your all’s opinion on something.

I made a beer bet with a habitual liar about how the show would end.

I said Tyrion would end up on the Iron Throne. I was wrong, and will honor said bet ($2 Lone Star).

The guy said 4 very specific things:

1) Bran would be king
2) Sansa would be queen
3) Jon Snow would lead the Night’s Watch
4) Tyrion would be hand

I want to call this person out in a public setting for getting spoilers on Twitter, but I need to know if enough of this list wasn’t given a foreshadowing. I feel 2 out of 4 is enough.

This was made at 9:30PM CST with the understanding we were avoiding spoilers.

I believe the major plot details of the finale have been leaked for some time. Having avoided the leaks, I can’t speak to their accuracy, but it seems to me that the person you made the bet with must have had more information than provided by foreshadowing alone.

Tony Perkis

I liked it more than I thought I would given last week’s disastrous episode, but it was still lacking in coherence and full of plot holes. To wit:

- Why wouldn’t Dany have executed Tyrion then and there on the steps of the Red Keep? It was very obvious at that point that the showrunners had no intention of killing him off.

- Why wouldn’t the Unsullied and/or the Dothraki have killed Jon upon finding out what he’d done to Dany? (And why, for that matter, did he tell them? Oh, right—honour.) Again, an unlikely turn of events that served the showrunners more than it did the internal logic of the narrative.

- Why wouldn’t the rulers of the other constituent kingdoms have also demanded autonomy after seeing Sansa get it? The whole meeting was wrapped up incredibly quickly and neatly. The new Prince of Dorne said literally one word!

- Where did Dany’s Westerosi troops go after participating in last week’s destruction? And just as they disappeared, her army of swarthy foreigners seemed to magically regrow. The show has never dealt well with characters of colour, and this episode confirmed it.

All that said, there were aspects of the finale I enjoyed, and I’m glad (given the available options) that Dany’s conclusion was that of a deluded tragic figure rather than a scheming villain. My favourite moment was Drogon’s heartbreaking (and throne-melting) reaction to his mother’s death. The way he tenderly clasped her before flying off was beautiful.
I had the weirdest moment regarding Drogon’s big scene.

I have a small pet bird, Luna, a green cheek conure. Image attached.

During Drogon‘s frying, my bird actually responded to the TV. It was the cutest thing.

Attachments

• 5C5F2678-AD68-40B6-8E39-2010B315D7E1.jpeg
    5C5F2678-AD68-40B6-8E39-2010B315D7E1.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Tony Perkis

I believe the major plot details of the finale have been leaked for some time. Having avoided the leaks, I can’t speak to their accuracy, but it seems to me that the person you made the bet with must have had more information than provided by foreshadowing alone.
So if it leaked, then they read spoilers. There’s no way around that.

LittleBuford

I had the weirdest moment regarding Drogon’s moment.

I have a small pet bird, Luna, a green cheek conure. Image attached.

During Drogon‘s frying, my bird actually responded to the TV. It was the cutest thing.

I guess Luna loves her papa and responded to Drogon in sympathy!

She’s a beauty, by the way.

LittleBuford

Whoever did the sound mixing knew exactly what they were doing. That is attention to detail. She responded as if she were speaking a native language.

And yes, she’s a beauty.

I did notice a strange bird-like call among the sounds produced by Drogon, so I’m not surprised it elicited an avian response.

mf1972

Original Poster
i found the finale to be kind of dull, to be honest. i am glad to see things ended in a good way for the starks. i figured danny had to die somehow. that was pretty obvious. i still wish this season was more than 6 episodes. it just felt rushed after episode 3.
otherwise, it’s been a great ride. thanks to HBO & it’s producers, writers, etc for creating a great show 👍.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The leaks were “mostly” accurate:

There was one that said Jon would go past the wall and find wildling bodies assembled in a circle. I thought that would be creepy and perfect.

And pursuant to that bran would have rebuilt the section of the wall that was down...hence his namesake.
That makes more sense than having Tyrion - who of course was being held for execution by a foreign army commander that NEVER would have gotten along with anyone at that meeting - do a speech and pick the king....which honestly was all wrong.

“Breaking the wheel” would have been the abolition of the king...that would have made the whole story bittersweet.

Yep...I was ok with it last night...now I’m trying to convince myself I like it.

Just like a bad Star Wars movie that the press is trying to tell me is “good”

Glad my “watch” has ended

Willmark

Very LOTR ending

Jon Snow (Frodo) kills Daeny (evil ring/Sauron) and saves the Seven Kingdoms (Middle Earth).

Realizing that the world has been saved (but like Frodo not for him) Jon rides north (like Frodo to the Undying Lands).

Jon is the hero and now a tragic hero to boot, just like Frodo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom