GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

Still waiting for the documentation about this. Did I miss it somewhere?
I doubt it will ever be found. Handicapped stalls in restrooms were never intended to be JUST for the handicapped. All they were meant to be was handicap accessible, which they are. The demand isn't big enough for the idea that someone, able bodied, that really needs to use a stall should be forced to wait when an operating one is empty. I do believe, however, that anyone that wouldn't allow a handicapped person to go in ahead of them, is lower then whale crap! Possible even lower then a fossil fart. I wouldn't want to meet the human that didn't understand that the handicapped choices are limited to one usually. An even better thought would be why not make them all handicap accessible. It would only require a few more square ft of space and would meet everyone's needs.

Anybody ever been in most McDonalds, at least, Mens Restrooms only have one stall total. Accessible to anyone, but if you ain't there first, you're waiting.:in pain:

Poofiesdream

I was at Disney last week and asked for a DAS pass. I have Parkinson's and can't stand for very long. I do need to do some walking but I sit a lot in between. I went to guest services and was refused the pass! They told me get a scooter or wheelchair! I don't need them, I need to do some walking to exercise my legs, just can't stand for long periods in one spot. It was very crowded and I could not get fastpasses which I would have used because by 10am they were all gone! Guess I won't be going back! I loved Disney and my daughter in law even works there, but they have now made it impossible for me to go. I will not pay those prices when I can't even ride a ride.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That depends on the jurisdiction. Did you know in California it is a fine-able offense to use a handicapped stall if you are not disabled? It'll cost you $400+ to find out.

At the very least it is proper etiquette to give priority to a disabled person for the handicapped stalls. Just because you can use it, doesn't mean you should when there are other choices available to you. Everyone understands that if the stalls are occupied and the HA one is the only one left, it's perfectly acceptable to use it. But if you have 10 other regular stalls open and free for your use, going to the HA one is showing your false sense of entitlement. Just hope you're not in a jurisdiction that has legislated against you doing it.
Source please.

JerseyDad

BroganMc said:
That depends on the jurisdiction. Did you know in California it is a fine-able offense to use a handicapped stall if you are not disabled? It'll cost you $400+ to find out.

At the very least it is proper etiquette to give priority to a disabled person for the handicapped stalls. Just because you can use it, doesn't mean you should when there are other choices available to you. Everyone understands that if the stalls are occupied and the HA one is the only one left, it's perfectly acceptable to use it. But if you have 10 other regular stalls open and free for your use, going to the HA one is showing your false sense of entitlement. Just hope you're not in a jurisdiction that has legislated against you doing it.

Source please.

....the heck with the source!!! ...I'm freaked out by the thought of someone hanging out in the can watching who goes where!! The Potty Police are on the job!!

(PS: I'll get the source in short order ...if it exists)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
....the heck with the source!!! ...I'm freaked out by the thought of someone hanging out in the can watching who goes where!! The Potty Police are on the job!!

(PS: I'll get the source in short order ...if it exists)
They do it through video surveillance in California. :eek:

Tom Morrow

I was at Disney last week and asked for a DAS pass. I have Parkinson's and can't stand for very long. I do need to do some walking but I sit a lot in between. I went to guest services and was refused the pass! They told me get a scooter or wheelchair! I don't need them, I need to do some walking to exercise my legs, just can't stand for long periods in one spot. It was very crowded and I could not get fastpasses which I would have used because by 10am they were all gone! Guess I won't be going back! I loved Disney and my daughter in law even works there, but they have now made it impossible for me to go. I will not pay those prices when I can't even ride a ride.
So, why couldn't you just use a wheelchair? Even if you don't need one, you would clearly benefit from one since, as you stated, you can't stand for long periods of time.

Poofiesdream

So, why couldn't you just use a wheelchair? Even if you don't need one, you would clearly benefit from one since, as you stated, you can't stand for long periods of time.

I have no one to push me! My arms are to weak to push myself. There are hills in the parks. My husband that I travel with is disabled and can not push me. A scooter is to expensive. Have you priced them? I am 60+ in age. I usually do the parks a few hours at a time with lots of sitting time. I have no problem waiting my time or using fastpasses but the fastpasses are gone before I can even get to the place to get one!

kbug

I was at Epcot today and saw several people turned away for mobility issues. I was told by several different CM's that only those with mental issues would be able to get the new DAC.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have no one to push me! My arms are to weak to push myself. There are hills in the parks. My husband that I travel with is disabled and can not push me. A scooter is to expensive. Have you priced them? I am 60+ in age. I usually do the parks a few hours at a time with lots of sitting time. I have no problem waiting my time or using fastpasses but the fastpasses are gone before I can even get to the place to get one!
Based on a number of first hand observations posted here it does seem like the new system is a bit of a double standard. If you are autistic or somehow not mentally able to wait in line then you can get a card. If you are physically disabled but not bad enough off to be confined to a wheelchair you are out of luck. I know there is no perfect system, but IMHO there should be an equitable distribution of benefits that doesn't favor one type of disability over another.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It appears Disney is trying to limit DAS to people with non-visible disabilities only. To be fair to them, there`s no point in building a wheelchair accessible queue if you`re not going to use it for that purpose, but as @GoofGoof says there should be some middle ground too. However, maybe there is where Disney fears abuse may be most likely.

That is probably the reason, but the skeptic in me assumes that as soon as the "abusers" find out what the buzz words are that get you a card they will continue to get the cards. I would think it would actually be easier to fake a mental issue than a physical one especially since they can't ask for any kind of proof.

JimboJones123

With a disease like Parkinson's, a wheelchair can do more damage than help. Unnecessary bruising and balance issues.

Some times the need to not stand fornmore than 30 minutes cannot be solved by a wheelchair.

Goofyernmost

I'll get shot at for this, but, I have a problem concerning the thought that one can afford to go to Disney to begin with but cannot afford to rent a mobility device. Just like any other part of a visit to Disney when budgets are figured out, you include the cost of that. There are places in the area that rent scooters at a much lower rate then Disney and even deliver them to your hotel on-site or off-site. Look into that you might find that you will indeed be able to enjoy the parks, but at a slightly higher cost. You must account for your own problems and not expect the world to do it for you.

MCP75inFL

I'll get shot at for this, but, I have a problem concerning the thought that one can afford to go to Disney to begin with but cannot afford to rent a mobility device. Just like any other part of a visit to Disney when budgets are figured out, you include the cost of that. There are places in the area that rent scooters at a much lower rate then Disney and even deliver them to your hotel on-site or off-site. Look into that you might find that you will indeed be able to enjoy the parks, but at a slightly higher cost. You must account for your own problems and not expect the world to do it for you.

However she has stated it's good for her to walk with resting in between. Who is suppose to man this scooter for her while she walks? I would think her circumstances should get her the pass, she doesn't mind waiting she just can't stand in line to do, enjoys walking the parts with breaks to sit and rest but has no one to push a wheel chair around with or without her in it. Why should she be forced into a wheel chair or scooter for her entire trip.

I do agree if a person going to Disney needs a mobility device it should be planned into the budget for the trip.

natatomic

Could you use one of those walkers that has a seat built into it? That way you can walk all you want, but you have the ability to sit down the very moment you need to. Just thinking out loud...

Goofyernmost

However she has stated it's good for her to walk with resting in between. Who is suppose to man this scooter for her while she walks? I would think her circumstances should get her the pass, she doesn't mind waiting she just can't stand in line to do, enjoys walking the parts with breaks to sit and rest but has no one to push a wheel chair around with or without her in it. Why should she be forced into a wheel chair or scooter for her entire trip.

I do agree if a person going to Disney needs a mobility device it should be planned into the budget for the trip.
Ride the scooter to the attraction and walk in the queue. Just like I had to do when I injured my knee. Couldn't walk long distances but could manage walking and standing in the queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom