GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

If Disney should try to be therapeutic for this family... why shouldn't they do the same for me as well? I have things that would make my stressful life easier.. and make my vacation more enjoyable. Hell, for anyone if you gave them free run of the park and put them above everyone else.. who wouldn't find that enjoyable and welcoming?

The reality is Disney can't do that for everyone... so who do you offer that to? Currently Disney does charity for that with terminally ill children and other special cases. But you can't offer that to everyone with a disability nor should anyone EXPECT to be put above everyone else all the time.

Well, the issue isn't that Disney can't do this for everyone -- they can't. The issue is always one of why can't they do it for me? I have a special needs violent teen who won't wait in lines and must ride Splash Mountain 21 times in a row without getting off and I've even bullied or paid a doctor to say so, so I MUST get special treatment.

The only special treatment that folks like this should be given is a stern warning that the abuse of the past is just that and if they do not like things this way they can always try another company. Very simple.

WDW1974

I think the takeaway from this whole discussion is... the problem that you can't trust the general public to be honest and balanced in what their expectations and asks are. It's painfully obvious our society is in such a pathetic state that selfish behavior is tolerated and reenforced through our Politically Correct and 'hands off' approach to handling situations. It's no longer about customer service... but about the train wreck the customers themselves are.

Of course not, and the people who usually have legit concerns and are quiet and professional are generally told 'We understand your concerns and we'll share them with the proper people. Have a MAGICal night.''

The loud mouth trash acting like they own the place?

They get treated like they own the place.

WDW1974

Perhaps people can voice an opinion without being either insensitive, or overly sensitive?

Perhaps.

But I have always found that there are people just looking to be offended in the online world.

Adults shouldn't have to bend over backward because someone is as touchy as a special needs six-year-old. You can't have a discussion like that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Simply logging the IP they signed up with is not enough

Correct... but you'd be AMAZED at how many people try to be slick online and don't have the slightest clue in what they are doing and step right into the obvious traps :)

Truth of the matter is.. it's virtually impossible to ban someone from an open registration forum. IPs, cookies, profiles... all can be avoided. But you can still sniff out people trying to get around the system generally because their can change their clothes.. but not their STINK!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, the issue isn't that Disney can't do this for everyone -- they can't. The issue is always one of why can't they do it for me? I have a special needs violent teen who won't wait in lines and must ride Splash Mountain 21 times in a row without getting off and I've even bullied or paid a doctor to say so, so I MUST get special treatment.

:)

If it were my business and the woman 'volunteered' that the kid will get violent and she can't control them then I'd be showing them the door right then. I don't need to put other guests at risk just to appease one customer.

But this is Disney.. the same company that lets shoplifters do their thing and lets guests assault CMs. I can imagine in the corner offices they can all say 'we did something about it!!' and put the topic back under the carpet. While meanwhile, in the trenches the same 'bend to the customer no matter what' will undermine the system and we'll be right back where we started soon enough.

It takes balls to stand up to these type of 'oh I'll spread the word folks!' - unfortunately in the sensationalist media frenzy we have now it would take a significant effort to get the true facts out about people. Disney would have to man up and be willing to call these people out for what they really are. I don't see that happening... so Disney will 'buy' these people off to keep them quiet and content... and the problems persist.

The problem won't ultimately be resolved as long as our general population feeds off sensationalism and 'the man keeping the poor down' attitudes of businesses picking on people. They love it and don't let facts get in the way of a good frenzy...

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Correct... but you'd be AMAZED at how many people try to be slick online and don't have the slightest clue in what they are doing and step right into the obvious traps :)

Truth of the matter is.. it's virtually impossible to ban someone from an open registration forum. IPs, cookies, profiles... all can be avoided. But you can still sniff out people trying to get around the system generally because their can change their clothes.. but not their STINK!

100% correct.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Oh yes theres no doubt she had a preplanned agenda before she set out, its on her blog. She's also been (edited: I got lazy and put in "be" orginally) hit by a youtube takedown for her videos and moved them over to Vimeo .
I cant find them on Vimeo. I can only find the "hippie rules" videos. Anyone know the title of the video or have a link? I would really like to see it.

BroganMc

Gabe1751050 said:
Want to thank you for your updates, always great to read first hand experiences even if experiences vary. My DS did say they were meeting and tweaking and when they do it takes a while for all parks, CMs, resort to get on the same page. Logistically it is just a lot of people and you come back after a day off and are hit with so much info that it is a lot to take in for the CMs. They are evolving as the guests are.

It was helpful for you to share personal physical info, it made it easier to follow what you shared in the wee hours of the morning yesterday and again today. Thanks for that. Will be interested to hear more of your experience upon your return. As I said posts ago, guests that were GAC at the start of their vacation and DAS as the week on had a unique experience. Hope they iron all the wrinkles out of the system for you.
No problem. I'm waiting for the auto train to pull out of the station for home now. I'll fly back on Dec 29 for NYE.

One issue I thought was silly in how it played out in real life was the strict "10 min return ticket to any attraction with longer posted wait times."

Case in point after getting a Return Time for TSM for 85 min, I rolled over to do Star Tours. This usually has no wait and wheelies are sent an alternative pathway as soon as you enter the building. That day Standby had a 20 min wait so the manager CM wrote me a 10 min return time ticket. What can I do in 10 min? Most guests will just hem and haw around cluttering the entrance waiting. They could be inside waiting where there is plenty of room to hold guests in a separate area.

My suggestion is to follow Universal's 30 min rule. Then if the ride goes over 30 min you start the clock. So a 35 min wait becomes 25min. That's enough time to actually go elsewhere. You look at not only that 10 min travel time but also what is left.

Mind you I didn't use a DAS in Star Tours. I never used a GAC either. They had an efficient system going. Hold the wheelie folks in an inside queue and fit them in as space is available.

They were so intent on getting me to ride in that 20 min window I ended up in a vehicle with just me and my dad. Not one single extra regular guest. SMH

Edited for typos.

Last edited:

ddrongowski

Simply logging the IP they signed up with is not enough, I and many others utilize a combination of phones, pads, computers, etc. at different times. My public home IP Address changes weekly because my ISP forces it to prevent their customers from hosting websites or servers and my phone constantly changes IP Addresses depending on wether I am on WiFi at various locations or LTE.
SHHHHH don't be edumacating.

jaklgreen

If Disney should try to be therapeutic for this family... why shouldn't they do the same for me as well? I have things that would make my stressful life easier.. and make my vacation more enjoyable. Hell, for anyone if you gave them free run of the park and put them above everyone else.. who wouldn't find that enjoyable and welcoming?

The reality is Disney can't do that for everyone... so who do you offer that to? Currently Disney does charity for that with terminally ill children and other special cases. But you can't offer that to everyone with a disability nor should anyone EXPECT to be put above everyone else all the time.
This reminds me of the saying, "If everyone is special, then no one is".

Wikkler

re-creating the parks virtually/visually on Blu-Ray/DVD and other media such as iPad, Android, Xbox, PS3/4, etc. Build the parks and attractions digitally in such a way as to bring the magic home in an in-depth, immersive and re-playable format that can be used not only by the Autism community, but fans too who want to take the parks home with them and enjoy the attractions over and over.
Personally - I would LOVE to buy a video GAME much like "Rollercoaser Tycoon" that would let ME run the WDW parks.
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Last edited:

Dragonrider1227

This woman actually reminds me of parents I used to know with a child who also had special needs but they're response to that was basically to let the child do whatever she wanted and blame others for not "understanding her needs." Sounds like she's pulling the same crap on Disney.
I mean, she sounds she's basically saying is that her son should have the right to ride what he wants, whenever he wants, regardless of the fact that others paid to enter the park too all because he has special needs. This is no different from the Family Guy when Peter Griffin thought he could walk into a women's rest room and burst in on women in the stalls because he's retarded.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I cant find them on Vimeo. I can only find the "hippie rules" videos. Anyone know the title of the video or have a link? I would really like to see it.

It's on her Facebook page.. Lots of between the line info there such as she had to remove pictures with Disney images on them.

jrlbc06

One issue I thought was silly in how it played out in real life was the strict "10 min return ticket to any attraction with longer posted wait times."

Case in point after getting a Return Time for TSM for 85 min, I rolled over to do Star Tours. This usually has no wait and wheelies are sent an alternative pathway as soon as you enter the building. That day Standby had a 20 min wait so the manager CM wrote me a 10 min return time ticket. What can I do in 10 min? Most guests will just hem and haw around cluttering the entrance waiting. They could be inside waiting where there is plenty of room to hold guests in a separate area.

You don't have to return in 10 minutes. Unlike FP (which everyone else has to deal with), the return window is not enforced for DAS and Wheelchair Guests. You can come back anytime you like. Another advantage of the system. So feel free do to go something that takes longer than 10 minutes.

The Empress Lilly

I often report missing effects and show problems to guest relations. And yes, on occasion I've been known to accept the (back entrance) fastpasses they give out to appease/reward me.

That just as a tip for those who want to experience the special needs entrance and spend time up close with the GAC/DAS crowd. Half (if that) are sincere. The other half...well let's say that if I was waiting for a train with them, and there were no cameras, and I was standing behind them with a freight train about to come rushing by...

jencor

Now I am wondering how it is going? I really do not want to hear about this one experience, but others who are experiencing it. We have a wheel chair, but never used a card and just got in the regular que unless we were directed otherwise or had fastpass. I am more wondering is this speeding up those lines any with out the abuse or does it seem more like business as before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom