GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyFan

I've been asking for this for years. But Disney never wants to release anything that they think might keep people at home and not in the parks. That's why they don't sell all of their attraction/area music. But, they shouldn't fear. Without the sensory stimulation that the movement of the ride vehicles provides, no video will ever replace a ride. But, it would be nice to have simulated ridethroughs instead of letting my son watch youtube videos over and over. They could really make a mint off of it if they wanted to.

I agree, I already own several park videos. My favorites are the ones that aired on The Travel Chanel, but I have a few fan made videos I've purchased as well. There is a market for this, why they don't make and sell them is kind of a mystery. And in this day of mass media, I really don't see how a video would prevent people from coming to the parks, because everybody whose been there knows, nothing compares to the actual experience.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not an expert on Autism, but I have heard several stories similar to theirs, where they visit Disney frequently to get a "fix", and for some a "reset", if you will. It helps them cope with the condition. In some ways, I can understand this. Disney is somewhat of a "reset" for me as well. It's a temporary escape from an otherwise stressful and sometimes cruel world. So, with the changes in the assistance program, it causes them not to be able to get that fix quite as easily as before, which from what I know about Autism, just compounds the problems that can arise.

If Disney should try to be therapeutic for this family... why shouldn't they do the same for me as well? I have things that would make my stressful life easier.. and make my vacation more enjoyable. Hell, for anyone if you gave them free run of the park and put them above everyone else.. who wouldn't find that enjoyable and welcoming?

The reality is Disney can't do that for everyone... so who do you offer that to? Currently Disney does charity for that with terminally ill children and other special cases. But you can't offer that to everyone with a disability nor should anyone EXPECT to be put above everyone else all the time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Irony is, the disabled guest is her son but she is perfectly able and causing all the issues but he seems perfectly happy no matter what is going on with his mother.

There is something to be said for the kid not being aware of nor caring for any disturbance he may cause others. He may be happy, but others around them may not be. Also you could say her mission was 'avoidance' and that is what the mom was pushing for.. was to avoid the blow-ups. But at the same time... the mom's expectation of 'need' and her priorities don't seem aligned. But I don't put much energy into that since I've only seen their lives through 15 minutes of video. But what I do know is.. this woman puts a lot of energy into her cause.. the question is simply who does it serve?

Gomer

They sell a few soundtracks:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-releasing-at-disney-parks-on-august-20-2013/

They USED to have kiosks in epcot (I believe in imagination actually) where you could create your own mix CD based off selections you made in the system. It didn't last long. (was also very overpriced)
Yeah, I was referring more to full area loops and such. I know alot of those have copyrighted music, but why not offer up the new BATB area music on Itunes for 2.99. Or the full Main Street loop, or innoventions plaza. We get them anyway as long as you know where to look. Disney could be making money off them and we could be getting higher quality versions.

NOt to veer off topic too much. But it does tie in. If there is one thing theme park lovers and people with autism have in common, its obsession with details like the music.

GrumpyFan

If Disney should try to be therapeutic for this family... why shouldn't they do the same for me as well? I have things that would make my stressful life easier.. and make my vacation more enjoyable. Hell, for anyone if you gave them free run of the park and put them above everyone else.. who wouldn't find that enjoyable and welcoming?

The reality is Disney can't do that for everyone... so who do you offer that to? Currently Disney does charity for that with terminally ill children and other special cases. But you can't offer that to everyone with a disability nor should anyone EXPECT to be put above everyone else all the time.

I'm not suggesting they try and meet everyone's needs nor all conditions or issues people might have. It's just insane to think they could or would even try. Free run of the park? You can have that, but it's not cheap. Seriously though, I'm not suggesting that Disney give away the parks or anything else. They're a business, and they are expected to make money, which I don't fault them for. However, I'm just suggesting that IF it's within their means, then maybe they should look into it.

Note, this isn't an expectation, it's a suggestion for improvement. I fully get that they can't be everything to everyone, and there are some people that they simply cannot accommodate, and they shouldn't be penalized for that. As I get older, there are attractions that don't agree with me, and I've come to realize that if I'm going to try and take part in them, there will be consequences that may be unpleasant. The same might be said for those visiting with certain disabilities. While Disney tries to be accommodating, there's only so much that they can do or be expected to do, and the individual with the disability needs to understand that, and further understand that the parks are meant for everyone to share equally, which sometimes mean waiting if you go during busy periods, or heat if you go in the summer.

flynnibus

Premium Member
However, I'm just suggesting that IF it's within their means, then maybe they should look into it.

I think the takeaway from this whole discussion is... the problem that you can't trust the general public to be honest and balanced in what their expectations and asks are. It's painfully obvious our society is in such a pathetic state that selfish behavior is tolerated and reenforced through our Politically Correct and 'hands off' approach to handling situations. It's no longer about customer service... but about the train wreck the customers themselves are.

GrumpyFan

I think the takeaway from this whole discussion is... the problem that you can't trust the general public to be honest and balanced in what their expectations and asks are. It's painfully obvious our society is in such a pathetic state that selfish behavior is tolerated and reenforced through our Politically Correct and 'hands off' approach to handling situations. It's no longer about customer service... but about the train wreck the customers themselves are.

I agree with you in part, but I think its a few that are exploiting the good will and ruining it for the others. Sadly though, the few seems to be a growing number.

asianway

That's cheap... the *add-on* to the VIP tours was like $1200 or something if I recall for queue bypass at DLR.
I know youre a tech guy - can you do an analysis of people who post on the budget board & abilities board and look for overlap? I think most wouldnt pay $100...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know youre a tech guy - can you do an analysis of people who post on the budget board & abilities board and look for overlap? I think most wouldnt pay $100...

I know you jest.. I presume you're talking about another site with your joke... but I keep my sanity by staying away from the stupid as much as possible verse trying to mock them. There is no joy in kicking the dummies.. only frustration because of their inability to put one and one together.

Disney caters to this audience... they created the monster. I am free to stay away from it.. and I have for the most part.

Pixie VaVoom

I've been asking for this for years. But Disney never wants to release anything that they think might keep people at home and not in the parks. That's why they don't sell all of their attraction/area music. But, they shouldn't fear. Without the sensory stimulation that the movement of the ride vehicles provides, no video will ever replace a ride. But, it would be nice to have simulated ridethroughs instead of letting my son watch youtube videos over and over. They could really make a mint off of it if they wanted to.

Personally - I would LOVE to buy a video GAME much like "Rollercoaser Tycoon" that would let ME run the WDW parks.

It could give feedback messages like "You just linked the "Autopia" track to the I-4 freeway !!! CM's are being run over !! You have been FIRED. Have a magical day. " or "Your assignment is to design a new family friendly ride within the scope of DHS. You have $10 Million and 24 months. " or maybe even "You got the "YETI" animatronics to work again !! Have a $ 50,000 Bonus!!!"

I think it could be fun!!!

IWantMyMagicBand

Personally - I would LOVE to buy a video GAME much like "Rollercoaser Tycoon" that would let ME run the WDW parks.

It could give feedback messages like "You just linked the "Autopia" track to the I-4 freeway !!! CM's are being run over !! You have been FIRED. Have a magical day. " or "Your assignment is to design a new family friendly ride within the scope of DHS. You have $10 Million and 24 months. " or maybe even "You got the "YETI" animatronics to work again !! Have a $ 50,000 Bonus!!!"

I think it could be fun!!!
Oh my goodness I don't think my kids would ever get fed if there was such a game lol

Mark In KY

Tales Of Woe From Past Trips:
1. 3 days before a WDW vaca that had been planned for months, one son had to have emergency hernia surgery. My surgical colleague forbade swimming. Oh the disappointment, Oh the emotional trauma of that son knowing that his brothers were in the pool and at Typhoon Lagoon. What did WDW "give" us, what did WDW "do" for us? Nothing.
2. On another trip, one son slipped getting out of the bathtub and split his chin open. Fortunately I had my handy dandy medical bag and got him numbed up and threw in a few sutures. Not being as as my surgeon friend I did not forbid swimming, but he had to partake of WDW with a bandage on his chin. I KNOW that we got "looks" and I am sure that there were "comments" made by insensitive beasts behind out backs. What did WDW "give" us, what did WDW "do" for us? Nothing.
3. On yet another trip, one son woke up halfway thru the vaca with a rip roaring ear infection. Fortunately I had my wallet sized copy of my medical license with me and off we went to the nearest pharmacy for an amoxicillin script. What did WDW "give" us, what did WDW "do" for us? Nothing. We lost park time because we had to go to the pharmacy, I had to PAY for the script. It was soooooo horrible and disappointing.

Not being a Pediatrician I actually treat ear infections when they occur. Have any of you played what I call, "Ear Infection Mulberry Bush" with your Pediatrician?
First visit: Ped says, "It looks like a virus. Give kiddo some Tylenol or Motrin".
Second visit, 2 days later: Ped says, "There's some fluid behind the ear drum. Give kiddo some OTC Benadryl".
Third visit, 2 days after that: Ped says, "Well the ear drum is all red and swollen now. Time for an antibiotic".

The Mom

Premium Member
Just a reminder - do not sign up for a new account in order to hide your identity - it is not allowed, and you will be banned. Not because of your opinions, and not even because of how you expressed them, but how you chose to circumvent the rules.

Last edited:

NowInc

Just a reminder - do not sign up for a new account in order to hide your identity - it is not allowed, and you will be banned.

A lot of people do not realize that it logs an IP when you sign up, so finding "clones" is pretty easy :D

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
A lot of people do not realize that it logs an IP when you sign up, so finding "clones" is pretty easy :D

Simply logging the IP they signed up with is not enough, I and many others utilize a combination of phones, pads, computers, etc. at different times. My public home IP Address changes weekly because my ISP forces it to prevent their customers from hosting websites or servers and my phone constantly changes IP Addresses depending on wether I am on WiFi at various locations or LTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom