GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NowInc

No...but many states do require that you have ID with you at all times....including Florida.
States_with_Stop_and_Identify_Laws.png

Thanks! I live in Florida and I know I've heard that said a lot. I just wasn't sure if it was federal or not ;)

Goofyernmost

While it may be a bad idea people do it. this is what magic bands were designed for. So you can leave everything in the room and not worry about carrying anything.
How about easy identification in the event of illness or injury? What about possible needs for health insurance information? How about needing for some unforeseen reason to fully identify yourself? how about needing to prove that you are who the magic band says you are?

Anyone that thinks that the Magic Band eliminates the possible need to identify yourself is quite a few blocks shy of a full load. I don't go outdoors without some type of ID. I don't want to end up in a morgue with a toe tag that just says John Doe!

They aren't designed for you to leave all your important information in the room. In fact, you would be a fool to do so! It is designed so you don't have to dig it out every time you need a ticket or make a purchase. No wonder this thing is getting such a bad rap...people expect it to replace our brains. Seriously!!!

Dasnowz

I keep seeing that there is no federal law that requires US citizens to carry proper I.D at all times. However, based on the provisions on The Real ID Act of 2005, you are required to carry your ID to vote, entering a federal building, driving a vehicle or a passenger on a commercial airline.

That map comes from Stop and identify statutes. "Stop and identify" statutes are laws in the United States that allow police to detain persons and request such persons to identify themselves, and arrest them if they do not.

What the United States Supreme Court held in Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial Dist. Court (2004) 542 U.S. 177, was that a state could make it a crime for a person to refuse to identify himself (i.e., tell the officer his name and address) when lawfully detained for criminal activity. Note that the Supreme Court did NOT say that any kind of identification papers could be required, nor did they say that police officers could ordinarily arrest someone for refusing to identify himself absent a state law permitting that arrest. There is no law in the United States requiring everybody to carry ID.

A person cannot be arrested just for failing to identify himself or failing to have ID, even with a lawful detention. It is NOT interfering with an officer. The only effect of not having ID occurs if a police officer has probable cause to believe an arrestee has committed a criminal offense. A police officer who could otherwise give an arrestee a citation to appear would instead take the person into custody to appear before a magistrate. But this is ONLY if the officer has probable cause to believe the person has committed a crime--NOT just because the person did not have ID.

Knowmyrights.org. It lists all kinds of info on there.

rct247

The new card also has some rules and stuff that cast will know and wont be shared. An example being the photo id. If you opt out, you have to show one or some other proof. Even for a minor. The legal guardian will have to sign the card and an id will have to match that. If the card is also for a child, the age might be written upon the card especially one that wont meet certain height requirements. The person on the card also has to meet those boarding requirements. If they dont, they wont be admitted even to accompany people inside and wait off to the side.

Goofyernmost

A person cannot be arrested just for failing to identify himself or failing to have ID, even with a lawful detention. It is NOT interfering with an officer. The only effect of not having ID occurs if a police officer has probable cause to believe an arrestee has committed a criminal offense. A police officer who could otherwise give an arrestee a citation to appear would instead take the person into custody to appear before a magistrate. But this is ONLY if the officer has probable cause to believe the person has committed a crime--NOT just because the person did not have ID.

I don't know about anyone else but I have never once left home thinking that I had to have an ID or I'll get arrested. What company do you keep anyway? ID's have many purposes and one of the biggest is to protect you. I have listed many reasons why, I'm not going to repeat them.

Knowmyrights.org Probably has something listed as "my right to be dumber then a bucket of rocks". Although fortunately it's true otherwise our prisons would be packed to overflowing, it may be a right, but it isn't showing a huge amount of common sense and base of reality.

inigomontoya

Okay, I wanted to post this since we've had MANY discussions about it :D

Just got back from my vacation, we got the card at EPCOT for my father this past week (he had a stroke, basically can't ride anything where he has to transfer from the chair) and never even used it there. Never had to. Each greeter took care of him, and the others ushered him right on the attraction and never asked to see anything. All of them, to the last man and woman, were VERY helpful.

MK... the exact opposite. It was a nightmare. Not to mention that the majority of the CM's sucked and it was unusually crowded. I swear, if you knew the work it takes to get through that park with a disabled family member, from the multiple monorails (especially at night and you're parked at EPCOT... no cutting across right to your monorail, you've got to go down the ramp and back up another) to the morons who want to stop right in front of you when you're pushing a 210 pound man down an incline, and all the crap you have to go through just to get through the walkways of that park... I'm sure the picture many people get when waiting in line of what you assume is an easy time people have with that card is very, very, very, VERY different than the reality. And I barely used it.

I specifically looked for people who might look like they're faking and I honestly didn't see anyone who looked obvious, but that doesn't mean much as I'm sure it happens all the time and many people have seen it (or assumed to, it's hard to tell sometimes). It was horribly crowded on the MK day and there just weren't that many people using the card. But I saw a lot of adult men with Autism whose families deserve a lot of credit for handling them as expertly as they do. Wow. My hat is off to them and I totally understand where they're coming from with the need for that card. I think it's safe to say more people who need it are using it than the abusers from what I saw.

The new system and DAS... I don't really understand it. A lot of the CM's I asked didn't understand it, either. If they're going to make people use it like a fast pass for each attraction, where you have to go to different kiosks, that's just friggin stupid. If that's your best answer for stopping fraud, you need a better plan and it's just lazy to make it hard on everyone who isn't faking anything. Seriously. I just hope they keep the handicap entrances because they were a life saver. It's a chore to get through a day like that without some help from the parks, man.
First I would like to say that it is so nice that your Father is well enough to vacation with his mobility defect. Park hopping with a disabled person is quite and task. I won't do it with my 7 and 9 year olds. Maybe eliminating the park hopper may help your situation.
What a really wanted to say is stated that the CM don't understand the new program is BS. If anyone thinks for a minute that the CM were told not to discuss the new program with any visitors they really haven't thought the process through.
Also I thought the problem with Autistic visitors from their families words is that they don't look disabled. It amazes me that you were so good at pointing these people out.
I can understand your frustration about people stopping and having no courtesy but that happens to everyone daily.

Dasnowz

I did not say I kept company with anyone. I simply said it is not illegal to not have id on you in WDW. I was supplying legal evidence of what I said instead of opinion. I never said not having idea was good. I simply said people do it on a regular basis with the thinking that bands save you from carrying anything. I have spoke with several parties over the last few weeks who think that ts ok to have the band only and go.

misterID

o_O
First I would like to say that it is so nice that your Father is well enough to vacation with his mobility defect. Park hopping with a disabled person is quite and task. I won't do it with my 7 and 9 year olds. Maybe eliminating the park hopper may help your situation.
What a really wanted to say is stated that the CM don't understand the new program is BS. If anyone thinks for a minute that the CM were told not to discuss the new program with any visitors they really haven't thought the process through.
Also I thought the problem with Autistic visitors from their families words is that they don't look disabled. It amazes me that you were so good at pointing these people out.
I can understand your frustration about people stopping and having no courtesy but that happens to everyone daily.

I actually had a nice time park hopping, that's not a problem as I can handle it, just saying people do not understand how hard it is to do so, unless you want my vacation limited for some odd reason? And the CM at guests services, for example, with the red hair and the missed patches of facial hair under his nostrils did not know the specific details about the new program, at least that's what he told me, and I never said he told me he wasn't allowed to say anything, so I have no idea where you pulled that out from. And yeah, there are more severe cases of autism that are very visible. I wasn't making anything up, lying or BSing anyone in that post about anything, like you're oddly alluding that I'm doing. I'm reporting what I experienced. Sorry if that troubles you. This is a very strange post, and by strange, I'm trying to use another word besides the one that really best fits it, btw. I have no clue why you felt the need to try and contradict me on this.

This thread is getting more and more useless with every post. It's becoming a ing contest, unfortunately.

Last edited:

LucyK

The new card also has some rules and stuff that cast will know and wont be shared. An example being the photo id. If you opt out, you have to show one or some other proof. Even for a minor. The legal guardian will have to sign the card and an id will have to match that. If the card is also for a child, the age might be written upon the card especially one that wont meet certain height requirements. The person on the card also has to meet those boarding requirements. If they dont, they wont be admitted even to accompany people inside and wait off to the side.
I really like this idea. The card is for the disabled not for the whole family. If the person disabled can't ride Space Mountain, there's no need for the rest of the family to enter that line.

I keep seeing that there is no federal law that requires US citizens to carry proper I.D at all times. However, based on the provisions on The Real ID Act of 2005, you are required to carry your ID to vote, entering a federal building, driving a vehicle or a passenger on a commercial airline.

That map comes from Stop and identify statutes. "Stop and identify" statutes are laws in the United States that allow police to detain persons and request such persons to identify themselves, and arrest them if they do not.

What the United States Supreme Court held in Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial Dist. Court (2004) 542 U.S. 177, was that a state could make it a crime for a person to refuse to identify himself (i.e., tell the officer his name and address) when lawfully detained for criminal activity. Note that the Supreme Court did NOT say that any kind of identification papers could be required, nor did they say that police officers could ordinarily arrest someone for refusing to identify himself absent a state law permitting that arrest. There is no law in the United States requiring everybody to carry ID.

The website may say that, but I live in Florida, and we are always told that it is illegal to walk around without an i.d.

In fact, I just took a class taught by a Florida state trooper, and he said that he and his co-workers regularly arrest people for not having any i.d. on them. He said that some of them (troopers) actually enjoy it when people try to challenge them about it

I think I'll just take his word for it and carry my i.d.

Tom Morrow

In fact, I just took a class taught by a Florida state trooper, and he said that he and his co-workers regularly arrest people for not having any i.d. on them. He said that some of them (troopers) actually enjoy it when people try to challenge them about it.
As if I needed more reasons to hate state troopers.

"I'm going to arrest you for a pointless reason because I can and there's nothing you can do about it! I could be out actually helping and making a difference, but nah, I'll just push people around."

GymLeaderPhil

When redeeming the DAS the person indicated on the card must be present.

When scheduling a return time, at a kiosk at DLR or the attraction at WDW, the DAS card recipient does not have to be there.

The DAS is designed to take individuals out of the queue who would cause harm to themselves or others. Those who have mobility or stamina issues will not receive a DAS card as attractions, shows, and the Cast Members who are trained at those locations are fully capable of assisting Guests with apparent disabilities.

Tonka's Skipper

As if I needed more reasons to hate state troopers.

"I'm going to arrest you for a pointless reason because I can and there's nothing you can do about it! I could be out actually helping and making a difference, but nah, I'll just push people around."

I CANNOT HELP BUT WONDER JUST WHY YOU WOULD HATE TROOPERS TO BEGIN WITH ???

AKK

Dasnowz

The website may say that, but I live in Florida, and we are always told that it is illegal to walk around without an i.d.

In fact, I just took a class taught by a Florida state trooper, and he said that he and his co-workers regularly arrest people for not having any i.d. on them. He said that some of them (troopers) actually enjoy it when people try to challenge them about it

I think I'll just take his word for it and carry my i.d.

I live in Florida too... Never heard it ... I think some trooper was on a power kick.... My kids have taken Brevard teen drivers challenge and other sheriff taught classes and never heard of it. Most recent as last year. Next one is taking one in a few months and I will be sure and ask the sheriff about this. My daughter is going to ask her school officer this morning for me.

My point simply was people do it. People are relying on the new bands and do not want to carry anything else. I have dealt with numerous guests without id as they pop over to the park for a few hours and don't bring id with. THIS POINT SEEMS TO BE LOST! and people are focusing on other things. I am walking away from this thread at this point as no one is listening to the original point. And I have to work this week so my time is very limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom