GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I were at Magic Kingdom on the 10th. He uses his cane and can not go down stairs or steps walking around the parks is very hard on him, but does it because ECV's are not easy in the parks. We had no problems getting the new DAS. We walked up to city hall and were greeted before we entered the building. The CM asked what accommodations we needed and within 2 minutes had our picture taken and card in hand. All went well. Please try the system before you go crazy saying it won't work. We did a little more planning but the actual in park work was little to none.

BroganMc

I concur! I think some of the DAS (former GAC) users are scared because they don't realize how well they can ameliorate those waits with a little bit of forethought and planning. Those of us who've never had access to anything but Fastpasses and rope drop to shorten our waits are used to it: former GAC users haven't had to develop those skills before, and may not realize how effective they can be. I have attempted, as much as I could, to reassure startled DAS users that it is possible to minimize your wait times with nothing more than a few simple planning tools -- the same tools that the non-disabled population uses constantly at WDW. But it's still unfamiliar territory and it's natural to be scared of change: until people try it out for themselves, some will undoubtedly continue to worry that DAS is going to "ruin" their vacation.

That's why many people are monitoring the GAC/DAS reports across the internet and asking for information from those who've had the chance to use it. Disabled people (or the parents managing disabled people) want to know as much as they can about how it works so they can make plans on making it work for them. Right now the biggest uncertainty (and source of the biggest anxiety) is the determination of who will be approved to have a DAS card. Not all the parks are making those judgments the same and a policy that says staff will be making determinations on a "case by case" basis invites inconsistency. (One CM saying DAS if for autistic kids only and another saying it isn't for the autistic just makes your head spin.)

DAS works out fine for me. I only used GAC for up to 7 possible rides (3 at MK, 1 at AK, 1 at DHS and 2 at EPCOT) and of those only 2 did I do every trip. The other 5 were often skipped or just done when the crowds were so light Standby times were under 20 minutes. I don't use the FastPass system because I have problems both getting a ticket from a machine and getting to a park early enough to get a time that doesn't exceed my stamina limit (i.e. I cannot get to a park at 11am and guarantee I'll be able to come back and do the ride at the 7:30pm FP time I'm assigned.)

My last trip I was not staying at a resort participating in the MagicBand/FP+ trial. (My resorts started the trial a week or two after I left.) But my next trip I'll have both available to me. Provided I can get the MDE app to work (that thing is dog slow on Android), I expect I'll probably be relying more on FP+ than DAS for those two rides.

But that's me. Get me out of a crowded queue and let me wait somewhere else safe and I'm content. Factor in my frequent trips and AP and it doesn't matter to me if I miss a ride.

Going back to the graphic I shared on equality vs. justice, that puts me in the middle height kid group. As long as I can get a DAS and a return time, my single box is all I need to have an equal chance of having a good time.

The people I worry about are the ones who are not able to handle waits, don't have FP+ available to them and aren't able to last long enough to utilize a FP return time. That would be the folks with severely limited stamina and the cognitive-impaired. (I was just reading a story today of a mom who went to WDW Sun-Tues. Her son is autistic and is put off by waits and certain stimuli. They started the day getting a Return Time for the Character Meet & Greet at EPCOT. They had time to kill so decided to go on Figment, then opted to go into the Standby of Finding Nemo. Standby there was 20 mins. The autistic boy thought he could handle it, but the Standby line moved slower than they expected and the dark interior with all those ocean sounds & dark lighting pushed him to the edge of his control. By the time they got up to go on the ride, he was worn out and didn't enjoy it. They left the park right after instead of going back to the Meet & Greet. So abiding by the system and utilizing DAS as it was intended did not lead to a successful day for that family.)

The old GAC system was designed to provide different accommodations based on different needs. There were many different stamps to cover visual impairment, deafness, using strollers as wheelchairs, mobility impairment, sun intolerance and line intolerance.

The new DAS system provides just one accommodation. And that is all based around line intolerance. Even mobility-impaired folks are being given the same accommodation at inaccessible attractions with the wheelchair return time tickets. They aren't tracking who needs an accessible vehicle and staging the returns so no one has to wait longer. Instead they are sending people away (so it is "equal" to the people with no needs) and dealing with the need later.

These are all things I think need to be tweaked. From who qualifies for a DAS, to what that provides. One change Universal CA made is that card holders are allowed to walk right on their first ride so they don't begin the day waiting. And we all know about Universal FL's 30 minute rule.

If I'm disgruntled about anything it is Disney's timing in launching this new program. They've done so without doing their proper research on GAC usage and before there is a widely available FP+ system available to disabled guests. I think they launched it now as a social experiment and a reaction to bad publicity over the summer. It shows a lack of regard to the people it most affects. Not well done by Disney.

(Mind you as a DVC owner I've been on the receiving end of Disney's corporate indifference many times before. Just ask anyone who bought Bay Lake Towers then had the point requirements altered in a reallocation 6 months later. Much griping and wailing then too, and a "correction" issued a year later.)

BroganMc

I agree, but do you think GAC/DAS isn't about money to Disney? Disney's reputation for accommodating disabilities drives a lot of business for them. One of the few demographics they had a stranglehold on even against Universal. Much like senior citizens, people with disabilities tend to have less disposable income due to therapies, medications, etc... Being known as an easily accessible, or in the case of some disabilities a recommended therapy, drives people to their parks that might not have been. This is the primary reason DAS/GAC exists in its current and former form. If Disney was only concerned with meeting legal requirements then it would be a far more restrictive program. GAC existed to entice the disabled to go to Disney where they typically might not have bothered with the trouble it would cause for them. DAS is their compromise to try to keep those ties with their disabled demographic while limiting the accommodation in the wake of FP+.

*Edited to add...IMO :)

Exactly. The question is just how big of a financial power block are the disabled for Disney? Don't think that's another one of the statistics they're gathering. Every room that gets canceled, every ticket that gets refunded for disability issues is noted.

But we won't see the true effect of this particular statistic for another 6 - 12 mos. People who cancel now are doing so more out of fear than informed decision-making. It's the people who've gone and reported how it worked or didn't work for them that gives the most meaningful data for them. Any time a guest tries DAS, finds it doesn't work and leaves Disney needs to know exactly why.

JerseyDad

Exactly. The question is just how big of a financial power block are the disabled for Disney? Don't think that's another one of the statistics they're gathering. Every room that gets canceled, every ticket that gets refunded for disability issues is noted.

But we won't see the true effect of this particular statistic for another 6 - 12 mos. People who cancel now are doing so more out of fear than informed decision-making. It's the people who've gone and reported how it worked or didn't work for them that gives the most meaningful data for them. Any time a guest tries DAS, finds it doesn't work and leaves Disney needs to know exactly why.

....but ...let's be realistic ....for every disabled person that cancels a trip ....room reservation ....there is another person ...disabled or not ...waiting in the wings to book it.

...if the disabled are not persons that (generally) have a ton of disposable income at hand ...due to medical expenses ...limited employment ...etc., then those that are more able to open their wallets when they book ...will make up the slack.

....and ...are persons with disabilities actually going to cancel , and when doing so, let Disney know that the reason for the cancellation is specifically because of their lack of confidence in the DAS system, and the possible perceived dinminished value of a vacation due to their fear of the DAS?

natatomic

Does anyone know if a DAS return time is counted as a FP because there are reports that paper FPs are running out very early throughout the parks? If CMs are reporting each DAS RT as a FP in the system, then that might explain the shortage. This wasn't an issue with GAC because they just walked on.
I think FP running out sooner has more to do with the fact that now so many FPs are being distributed ahead of time on the magic bands. Those ARE being factored into the total FP count.

BroganMc

....and ...are persons with disabilities actually going to cancel , and when doing so, let Disney know that the reason for the cancellation is specifically because of their lack of confidence in the DAS system, and the possible perceived dinminished value of a vacation due to their fear of the DAS?

Yes they are. As was reported in this thread with the AP holder having their tickets canceled for them and on other forums where people are reporting their cancellations. There's a ton of feedback going to the Special Needs department and phone calls being made. Why do you think Meg wrote that letter to the disabled community trying to offer assurances? It's called damage control because they know they're incurred the ire of a client segment.

Now you can say there are people who aren't disabled ready to swoop in and fill vacant spots. That's an easy answer. But those people had the ability to swoop in already. Many don't have the same amount of loyalty to Disney because they're looking for more intense experiences. More physically able people will shun a park with kiddie and old people's rides in favor of one with roller coasters and extreme thrills.

This is all supposition to be determined in the actual gate numbers over the next year. But at the same time TDO is dealing with the fallout for the disabled clientele, they'll also be dealing with the MagicBand/FP+ impact on every guest. That's predicted to cause a lot of guest dissatisfaction and churn on it's on.

I'm referring to what happened today with the FP system. Did you check out that thread? FPs gone by park opening due to a glitch. 85% of all FPs at TSM designated for FP+. Nothing available for park guests for E ticket attractions. 100+ Standby waits. Tons of angry guests.

Once they launch FP+ fully and discontinue the old park FP system, you'll be seeing a lot more people turned away because lines are so long. (Of course then we invite the DAS cheating incentive because at least with that program one can always get a FP.)

I'm not very positive TDO knows what they're doing these days. Makes me glad I don't have a trip planned after this NYE. The proverbial excrement has to hit the fan before things settle down.

I think FP running out sooner has more to do with the fact that now so many FPs are being distributed ahead of time on the magic bands. Those ARE being factored into the total FP count.

Exactly. The FP+ trial will be in full force by the end of the month. I was shocked to hear TSM had already gone to an 85%/15% mix. It's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

luv

The "problem" is that those who used to get GAC cards are mad they can't just walk right onto attractions anymore. Either you want to be treated equally or you expect to be treated better than everyone else, make up your mind!

Welcome to the rules the rest of the world follows. The system was always designed to giver easier access, NOT IMMEDIATE! Disney is still giving easy access, but you now have to actually wait for it. I'm so sorry you have to live like everyone else does. It must be so hard.

I don't want to wait in a line full of people I don't know in a space that is hot or boring. DAS allows you to do whatever you want without waiting in line. Sounds like accommodation to me!
But they don't live like everyone else does. And it is hard.

I really wish that the only people stricken with disease and permanent injury were the ones who were cruel. That way, the cruel people would stop and the decent ones would still help them when they needed help.

Sadly, decent people get slapped with horrid physical problems and then have to endure cruelty from obnoxious, healthy people.

Dad did tell me life was unfair! He wasn't wrong!!

minninedaisy74

After exiting the ride , we were met by no less than 3 scooters and their families waiting to board at the exit. I was quite aghast that my kid would be required to wait in line which was difficult for him but they were allowed immediate access. Even Logan verbalized as we were walking out that it seemed a little unfair . I rubbed his back as we walked to calm him while gently reminding him that we were there to figure out the pass in an effort to make it work for him
http://networkedblogs.com/Q0nLv

Here is another one who claims that it was a complete disaster because they no longer have immediate access to rides. I read her entire entry and it didn't seem like such a bad day . I love the scooter hate it seems like the disabled community may be turning on each other all over immediate ride access at Disney. I really hope Disney doesn't cave on this.

pais

Has anyone seen this woman Diane's youtube GAC rants? The day I watched Autism Hippie's rants, some of this woman's were listed on the side. This one is a hoot! It's not about GAC (it's before her GAC was taken away). It's a rant about her husband having lapband surgery and wanting to pay only for the Disney children's meal plan for him. Apparently they made an exception on one trip and on their next trip two months later told them no.

I am beginning to think that the ones who are the most about losing the GAC are those who are local and visit a lot more often than the average guest. Just wait until they realize that FP+ will be tiered to reward those who have onsite reservations the most. Maybe then they will finally realize what a gem DAS really is.

It's a rant about her husband having lapband surgery and wanting to pay only for the Disney children's meal plan for him. Apparently they made an exception on one trip and on their next trip two months later told them no.
These type procedures only have about a 50% long-term success rate so when he gains all his weight back, he can sue Disney for not giving him the smaller portions.

pais

These type procedures only have about a 50% long-term success rate so when he gains all his weight back, he can sue Disney for not giving him the smaller portions.
Also, in the video she said he was 'only eating small portions of chicken nuggets...macaroni and cheese..."

JerseyDad

Now you can say there are people who aren't disabled ready to swoop in and fill vacant spots. That's an easy answer. But those people had the ability to swoop in already. Many don't have the same amount of loyalty to Disney because they're looking for more intense experiences. More physically able people will shun a park with kiddie and old people's rides in favor of one with roller coasters and extreme thrills.

This is all supposition to be determined in the actual gate numbers over the next year. But at the same time TDO is dealing with the fallout for the disabled clientele, they'll also be dealing with the MagicBand/FP+ impact on every guest. That's predicted to cause a lot of guest dissatisfaction and churn on it's on.

I'm referring to what happened today with the FP system. Did you check out that thread? FPs gone by park opening due to a glitch. 85% of all FPs at TSM designated for FP+. Nothing available for park guests for E ticket attractions. 100+ Standby waits. Tons of angry guests.

Once they launch FP+ fully and discontinue the old park FP system, you'll be seeing a lot more people turned away because lines are so long. (Of course then we invite the DAS cheating incentive because at least with that program one can always get a FP.)

I'm not very positive TDO knows what they're doing these days. Makes me glad I don't have a trip planned after this NYE. The proverbial excrement has to hit the fan before things settle down.

Exactly. The FP+ trial will be in full force by the end of the month. I was shocked to hear TSM had already gone to an 85%/15% mix. It's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

....well ...I'm gonna' do my part to help out the issue at TSM. The next time I'm at WDW ....I'll gladly NOT get a FP / FP+ for TSM ....so I'll free a spot up right there! We got on it for the first time since it opened with the MagicBand/FP+ during our trip 2 months ago ...and I thought it was a major downer. For all the fanfare ....I expected so much more. (and I'm not a big fan of "thrill rides" ...so that wasn't the issue) It's just that I didn't find myself saying, "Wow! I gotta' do that again"

.....strange observation too, the day we were there ...at about 10:30am ...the stand-by line was only 40 minutes long? I never saw it that short!! Heck ...I'd stand on a line like that in a heartbeat. It almost made me feel screwed to waste the FP+ on that ride at that moment.

pais

....well ...I'm gonna' do my part to help out the issue at TSM. The next time I'm at WDW ....I'll gladly NOT get a FP / FP+ for TSM ....so I'll free a spot up right there! We got on it for the first time since it opened with the MagicBand/FP+ during our trip 2 months ago ...and I thought it was a major downer. For all the fanfare ....I expected so much more. (and I'm not a big fan of "thrill rides" ...so that wasn't the issue) It's just that I didn't find myself saying, "Wow! I gotta' do that again"

.....strange observation too, the day we were there ...at about 10:30am ...the stand-by line was only 40 minutes long? I never saw it that short!! Heck ...I'd stand on a line like that in a heartbeat. It almost made me feel screwed to waste the FP+ on that ride at that moment.
We've only been on TSM once, when it first opened and our kids were very small. Haven't bothered with it since because it seems not worth all the craziness to even secure a FP. We're going soon and my husband saw that on our FP+ list and asked why. I said because we finally had a chance. He informed me he wasn't going on it, so I removed it. Incidentally, I had never even heard of the GAC until this Summer. One of my Orlando relatives was telling me that she and her friends rode TSM 3x in a row and I was incredulous as to how with it being nearly impossible to even obtain a TSM FP! She told me her friends had the 'handicapped card' and they park hopped from morning to night, riding everything they could. So this is how I learned about the GAC, along with the abuse. People well enough to storm around Disney on foot for 12 hours but can't wait in line?

JerseyDad

Has anyone seen this woman Diane's youtube GAC rants? The day I watched Autism Hippie's rants, some of this woman's were listed on the side. This one is a hoot! It's not about GAC (it's before her GAC was taken away). It's a rant about her husband having lapband surgery and wanting to pay only for the Disney children's meal plan for him. Apparently they made an exception on one trip and on their next trip two months later told them no.

...that woman is a horses *##. I too saw her rants ...and was at any moment expecting Honey
Boo Boo to pop her head into view.

Also, in the video she said he was 'only eating small portions of chicken nuggets...macaroni and cheese..."

....and equally small portions of desserts like deep fried Oreos & Milky Way Bars.

luv

I didn't finish it, but am not sure why you posted it. Does it have anything to do with the GAC thing at all?

arko

40 minutes that was indeed unusual. Most days it hits 100 minutes easily. It's also where I have seen the most CM abuse by parents upset at the wait. One woman literally was screaming at a CM because the estimate was off by 10 minutes and they ended up waiting longer than they thought they would.
The wait time is deceiving because while it is extremely popular, it wait time is more a symptom of bad ride design than anything else.

JerseyDad

40 minutes that was indeed unusual. Most days it hits 100 minutes easily. It's also where I have seen the most CM abuse by parents upset at the wait. One woman literally was screaming at a CM because the estimate was off by 10 minutes and they ended up waiting longer than they thought they would.
The wait time is deceiving because while it is extremely popular, its wait time is more a symptom of bad ride design than anything else.

....exactly what I thought while I got on ....and off the ride. It was a more arduous task than on other rides, with the 'vehicle not always facing the correct direction for boarding and off-loading.

....another observation, the "trigger" on the gun/cannon ......doesn't seem overly user friendly to ME ...how would it be so to someone that's very young, very old, disabled, or just a complete klutz?

....and ...come to mention it ...even with a short wait .....there were some persons still complaining about the approx 12 - 15 minute time it took us to get through the FP line (my SIL ...with her GAC used for her son was one of them). And ....while I had no desire to ever go on there again (neither did my wife who felt dizzy from all the spinning) ...my SIL had no problem 'looping' around for another ride.

...FYI ...I had NO idea that the adjacent building was actually Disney office space. Is that the space that everyone mentions that should be used for expansion of TSM?

pais

I didn't finish it, but am not sure why you posted it. Does it have anything to do with the GAC thing at all?
The reason I posted it was because she, alongside Autism Hippie, is the poster child of GAC youtube rants. I felt the posting was warranted to show that she posts a lot of other anti-Disney rants aside from GAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom