Future of Star Tours

actioncookbook

I'm interested in what happens after this next movie. I think I read a plot leak somewhere that C3PO has to get permanently reprogrammed to translate a new language and that his personality is gone forever. If that holds up as true, who pilots Star Tours?

ToTBellHop

I'm interested in what happens after this next movie. I think I read a plot leak somewhere that C3PO has to get permanently reprogrammed to translate a new language and that his personality is gone forever. If that holds up as true, who pilots Star Tours?
3PO from the past. In the same way that HP rides have dead characters like Voldemort, Bellatrix, and Dumbledore.

Darth Vader is already on Star Tours.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As of yet, ST is still the best SW attraction in the galaxy. ;)

The Millennium Falcon wannabe is to ST what Journey into YOUR Imagination is to Imagination 1.0. A revved up, teched up, gimmicky sequel that falls flat.
Management with risible predictability falling for the same trendy design line that they've fallen for for four decades now: 'today's guests want to be active/interactive/have the show be about them!'

The result is always disappointing. Emotionally flat instead of engaging. After your first two rides, who would choose another ride of pushing flashing buttons at Smugglers over being tossed about all over the SW universe in Star Tours? Good old Tony Baxter's rides stand the test of time on his simple ability to identify the fun in a ride and pushing that.
Fair.

The Empress Lilly

Yawn. This tired argument. Two different attractions. If SR was a Star Tours wannabe we would be skipping all over the place, planet to planet and every Star Wars character would have some kind of cameo. I enjoy both a lot.
There is room for both SR and ST. Even more if both rides had been great. Although I assume that during the planning of the subject of two SW flight simulators in the same two parks must have come up. Maybe they considered it akin to having singing robot birds and singing robot bears sit back-to-back, as in the MK. Or maybe conjuring up novel ways to sit guests in front of a screen showing Disney IP is simply the best today's WDI can come up with. But my hunch is that all parties assumed ST to get converted into another property at some point.

Incidentally, I'm actually of the minority that thinks GE is terrific. Despite its obvious flaws. Perhaps the most notable being that I doubt the re-rideability of SR. Apart from hoping to be pilot next time.

The Empress Lilly

I only quoted this part because I agreed with everything thereafter. I will even agree with this if you're referring to ST 1.0, otherwise, currently the best SW attraction in the galaxy right now is Hyperspace Mountain.
Hyperspace is awesome! I did both the DL and DLP versions. But...Hyper Mountain is still not as awesome as Space Mountain is. I love Hyper as a temporary overlay.

I'm not sure whether you prefer ST 1.0 or ST2.0. To me the new version is 1138 times better than the old. ST is the poster boy of how to do a ride re-do.

Monorail_Orange

Hyperspace is awesome! I did both the DL and DLP versions. But...Hyper Mountain is still not as awesome as Space Mountain is. I love Hyper as a temporary overlay.

I'm not sure whether you prefer ST 1.0 or ST2.0. To me the new version is 1138 times better than the old. ST is the poster boy of how to do a ride re-do.
Hakuna matata, my friend! I do personally prefer ST 1.0, but if it makes any sense at all, I don't disagree with you that 2.0 was a good redo. I like 2.0 a lot, too. The graphics and imaging are an enormous leap forward. The 3D effect is okay. The 3PO animatronic is excellent. And yet...it just seems to fall short of the original as a whole. Maybe it's the fun and whimsy changing, maybe it's the hokey charm of the original, maybe it's even just my nostalgia (although I don't think so, because my daughters have only ridden 2.0 and I showed them the 1.0 film on YouTube, and they both wish they could ride 1.0...you should hear my youngest yell, "Artoo, lightspeed to Endor!!") but 1.0 just seems to me to be the pinnacle, again as a whole.

In my little "Fantasyland" I'd like to see the "original film" as one of the options for the random profiles - now, to explain, I don't mean this entirely literally, as the projection system is now set up for 3D, so the original film would have to be recreated/retouched/enhanced. As far as piloting goes 3PO could have some sort of "temporary malfunction" where he suddenly becomes Captain Rex/RX-24, and they could reuse Paul Reuben's original audio.

The Empress Lilly

Hakuna matata, my friend! I do personally prefer ST 1.0, but if it makes any sense at all, I don't disagree with you that 2.0 was a good redo. I like 2.0 a lot, too. The graphics and imaging are an enormous leap forward. The 3D effect is okay. The 3PO animatronic is excellent. And yet...it just seems to fall short of the original as a whole. Maybe it's the fun and whimsy changing, maybe it's the hokey charm of the original, maybe it's even just my nostalgia (although I don't think so, because my daughters have only ridden 2.0 and I showed them the 1.0 film on YouTube, and they both wish they could ride 1.0...you should hear my youngest yell, "Artoo, lightspeed to Endor!!") but 1.0 just seems to me to be the pinnacle, again as a whole.

In my little "Fantasyland" I'd like to see the "original film" as one of the options for the random profiles - now, to explain, I don't mean this entirely literally, as the projection system is now set up for 3D, so the original film would have to be recreated/retouched/enhanced. As far as piloting goes 3PO could have some sort of "temporary malfunction" where he suddenly becomes Captain Rex/RX-24, and they could reuse Paul Reuben's original audio.
in a perfect world, one of the six modules would still play ST1. (And of of the three hangars would play Soarin' 1...)

Until last year. I had my cake and ate it too: ST-Threepio in WDW, and ST-Rex in DLP....
Sadly they finally upgraded DLP too.

Monorail_Orange

in a perfect world, one of the six modules would still play ST1. (And of of the three hangars would play Soarin' 1...)

Until last year. I had my cake and ate it too: ST-Threepio in WDW, and ST-Rex in DLP....
Sadly they finally upgraded DLP too.
And as far as Soarin' goes, DCA brought Cali back for the summer...should have been permanent there, and like you said, in at least 1 theater in Epcot.

Disney Maddux

I know this has a 99.99% of never happening, but the Roger Rabbit Toon Trolley ride please. It was going to be the same ride-type as ST, so they would just need to redo the queue and shop, make a new ride film, and voila.

Djsfantasi

I think it depends on what your view on interactive rides and experiences is; Falcon is similar to Toy Story Mania in that it requires active participation in order to get the most enjoyment out of it. It is not a “sit back and enjoy the ride” type of attraction.

And my personal view of interactive rides is simple. I avoid them. The skills expected of a guest are not in my bucket. So the interactive portion is nothing but an annoyance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom