Future of Star Tours

retr0gate

Original Poster
Not sure if this has been discussed yet but is there any word as to what's going to happen to Star Tours now that Galaxy's Edge is open? I'd imagine it'll stay open as is while Hollywood Studios undergoes it's "transformation." Now that Star Wars has it's own dedicated land though, all the other Star Wars attractions stick out like a sore thumb - especially those that always had a temporary feel to them (I'm looking at you Path of the Jedi and Launch Bay). That's not to say Star Tours is a carelessly shoehorned Star Wars attraction like the others, but it does feel odd having Grand Avenue being the only thing separating the heavily themed Star Wars area from the lesser one.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not sure if this has been discussed yet but is there any word as to what's going to happen to Star Tours now that Galaxy's Edge is open? I'd imagine it'll stay open as is while Hollywood Studios undergoes it's "transformation." Now that Star Wars has it's own dedicated land though, all the other Star Wars attractions stick out like a sore thumb - especially those that always had a temporary feel to them (I'm looking at you Path of the Jedi and Launch Bay). That's not to say Star Tours is a carelessly shoehorned Star Wars attraction like the others, but it does feel odd having Grand Avenue being the only thing separating the heavily themed Star Wars area from the lesser one.

The rumor since the beginning has been that it would eventually be re-themed. Not sure if that's still the plan or not.

Hawkeye_2018

So the new scene will be locked in starting on 12/20. How long does it stay locked in for? And will it just rotate with the other ST scenes?

The Empress Lilly

As of yet, ST is still the best SW attraction in the galaxy. ;)

The Millennium Falcon wannabe is to ST what Journey into YOUR Imagination is to Imagination 1.0. A revved up, teched up, gimmicky sequel that falls flat.
Management with risible predictability falling for the same trendy design line that they've fallen for for four decades now: 'today's guests want to be active/interactive/have the show be about them!'

The result is always disappointing. Emotionally flat instead of engaging. After your first two rides, who would choose another ride of pushing flashing buttons at Smugglers over being tossed about all over the SW universe in Star Tours? Good old Tony Baxter's rides stand the test of time on his simple ability to identify the fun in a ride and pushing that.

Hawkeye_2018

I have yet to ride the Falcon. But it seems the attraction is more about the experience of touring the ship and getting to sit in the cockpit than the actual ride portion.

KaliSplash

Personally would love to see them s t r e t c h Galaxy's Edge around so it could include Star Tours. I realize many folks think it is too similar to Smuggler's Run. But if you focus on the stories and not the fact that both are motion simulators, I think it could work. That would give the :land" 3 attractions instead of two.

Jones14

I have yet to ride the Falcon. But it seems the attraction is more about the experience of touring the ship and getting to sit in the cockpit than the actual ride portion.
I think it depends on what your view on interactive rides and experiences is; Falcon is similar to Toy Story Mania in that it requires active participation in order to get the most enjoyment out of it. It is not a “sit back and enjoy the ride” type of attraction.

itsy bitsy spider

Cheap Disney should just call the front of the park "Lucas Land" and have different George Lucas films.
  • Star Wars
  • Indiana Jones
  • American Graffiti (50's Prime time)

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
As of yet, ST is still the best SW attraction in the galaxy. ;)

The Millennium Falcon wannabe is to ST what Journey into YOUR Imagination is to Imagination 1.0. A revved up, teched up, gimmicky sequel that falls flat.
Management with risible predictability falling for the same trendy design line that they've fallen for for four decades now: 'today's guests want to be active/interactive/have the show be about them!'

The result is always disappointing. Emotionally flat instead of engaging. After your first two rides, who would choose another ride of pushing flashing buttons at Smugglers over being tossed about all over the SW universe in Star Tours? Good old Tony Baxter's rides stand the test of time on his simple ability to identify the fun in a ride and pushing that.

Yawn. This tired argument. Two different attractions. If SR was a Star Tours wannabe we would be skipping all over the place, planet to planet and every Star Wars character would have some kind of cameo. I enjoy both a lot.

mccgavin

Yawn. This tired argument. Two different attractions. If SR was a Star Tours wannabe we would be skipping all over the place, planet to planet and every Star Wars character would have some kind of cameo. I enjoy both a lot.
A lot of this forum has largely been unimpressed with Smugglers Run and Galaxy's Edge overall. I don't mind that as I understand a majority of users here share the sentiment of missing the older style of Disney Imagineering. Still I am genuinely curious what the consensus with the general public is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom