Future Nostalgia

World_Showcase_Lover007

Well if/when they change Hollywood Studios to a different name, we'll likely still be calling it by its current name for the next twenty years, just like we do with MGM. As soon as you get used to one name, they wind up changing it. Or maybe we'll still call it MGM Studios, who knows.

World_Showcase_Lover007

I'll definitely miss Carousel of Progress if they ever do anything to it. I can see myself standing outside of the building and reciting the lines of father, while my future unborn children roll their eyes, and tell me how bored they are with my old timer tomfoolery.

World_Showcase_Lover007

ahhhnostalgia-it-just.jpg

jasmine217

Definitely Streets of America. I have tons of pictures of me and my high school friends striking lame poses there on our trip circa 2006. I had no idea it was gone until I visited recently! Same with Backlot Tour.

I'm also a little nostalgic about Snow White's Scary Adventures being gone. My mom loves to tell the story of my 4 year old self coming back home and describing the queen peeking out from the curtains in the queue to friends and family, stating dramatically "and...there was a REAL QUEEN!" Then, after being corrected that the queen wasn't real, repeating the story and ending with "and...there were REAL CURTAINS!" :p

Cliff Racer

I'll probably have some nostalgia for the general 90s vibe that the AK, parts of Epcot and especially MGM have. Things like Fantasmic prominently featuring Pocahontas characters all these years later and the like. Yeah a little bit hacky but stick around long enough and anything can become iconic. A lot of that is going away with the DHS revamp and while I am happy for that I'm not going to forget what we lose either.

Matt_Black

I'll probably have some nostalgia for the general 90s vibe that the AK, parts of Epcot and especially MGM have. Things like Fantasmic prominently featuring Pocahontas characters all these years later and the like. Yeah a little bit hacky but stick around long enough and anything can become iconic. A lot of that is going away with the DHS revamp and while I am happy for that I'm not going to forget what we lose either.

Well, of all the Disney Renaissance films, I think Pocahontas is shown on TV the most, so that's going to convince people it's a great film. Admittedly, LM, B&tB, LK, and Aladdin aren't going to be shown very often, because of their "vault" status, but as for the rest?

GVentola

Original Poster
If they ever get rid of the Pocahontas sequence in Fantasmic, I'll just die. I use that as proof that Disney's Pocahontas and Disney's John Smith ( as opposed to the historical Pocahontas and historical John Smith) get back together. I mean, there they are in modern times, standing next to each other on the steamboat, looking as happy as can be to be together. At the very least, you could say this proves even Mickey Mouse likes to imagine them together.
Thanks, fellow WDW Magic forum members for your thoughtful answers to my post!

Marco226

I'd probably go through nostalgia meltdown if Imagination's glass pyramids were removed or changed too much. With all of the rumors about Epcot's changes, I'm just worried that the pyramids might be one of the things they get rid of if or when they decide to change the ride there for whatever direction they're deciding to go with Future World. To me, that building is just really pretty to look at both in the day and night time.

I miss EPCOT Center. I miss the boring charm, the edutainment, the unrealistic future. I miss rides like Horizons, World of Motion, the Living Seas, MAELSTROM, Body Wars, Cranium Command. I miss Tapestry of Nations. EPCOT Center just had this charm to it that I can't relate put into words. It was just a feeling.

Haha! I was thinking the same thing about the boring charm the other day. As a little kid, I remember always watching those red robot arms in Communicore as they danced around to cheesy 80s techno music and balanced those spinning things on samurai swords and rope. It was so lame, and then there'd be like one or two people clapping after they were done.. but I loved it and how they showed off the awesomeness of robotics back then.

Glasgow

Probably an unpopular opinion due to todays eco and fast paced environment, but ill miss the Indy Speedway when it goes. Being crazy about cars from when i was a tot, IS gave me that tantalizingly realistic foray into the world of driving that seemed ever so far away at the time.

Ive now experienced the ride with our two girls and they showed the same sort of childish glee that instantly transported me back to decades ago.

If thats not pure nostalgia then i dont know what is ;)

cheesecake

This is probably my big thing too. My first trip was in 1998 at age 5, and in my heart, Disney should just permanently be stuck in 1998. While the great Disney movies of the era like Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast are still getting attention and new attractions, it makes sense that some things get pushed to the back burner to make room for the current big thing.

If they ever get rid of the Pocahontas sequence in Fantasmic, I'll just die. I use that as proof that Disney's Pocahontas and Disney's John Smith ( as opposed to the historical Pocahontas and historical John Smith) get back together. I mean, there they are in modern times, standing next to each other on the steamboat, looking as happy as can be to be together. At the very least, you could say this proves even Mickey Mouse likes to imagine them together.
Thanks, fellow WDW Magic forum members for your thoughtful answers to my post!

Clearly Disney disagrees with their own straight to video sequels! (As do I.)

Matt_Black

This is probably my big thing too. My first trip was in 1998 at age 5, and in my heart, Disney should just permanently be stuck in 1998. While the great Disney movies of the era like Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast are still getting attention and new attractions, it makes sense that some things get pushed to the back burner to make room for the current big thing.

Well, on the rare occasions when Pocahontas meets with someone for things like Valentine's Day, just as the other princesses meet with their respective princes, she meets with John Smith, not Rolfe.

MattFrees71

I agree with your 1998 comment. Last year for many classics such as Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Horizons, Journey into Imagination...

NickWilde

- SoA

- Backlot Tour

- ToT (I have a hunch that they’ll be removing this soon and it makes me sad)

- Maelstrom

- GMR

- New non-IP attractions/lands

LeighM

My first trip as an adult was on 2012. Which was when they were working on New Fantasyland so a lot of the things I grew up watching on TV (such as Toon Town, Snow White, Mr. Toad), and wanted to experience for myself, were taken down. I still had a lot of fun that first trip but I couldn't help but think about all the things I didn't get the chance to experience:) I think the only thing that I would be truly nostalgic for 5 years from now would be Port Orleans Riverside. I absolutely LOVE that resort and I think it's so peaceful. I don't care if they update the rooms, just don't change the feel and atmosphere of the resort. I don't really feel that same emotion over anything in the parks. I guess Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan come the closest. And then the animal trails in AK.

Trackmaster

I think that Disney will get to a point that they'll probably have to make a continuous motion animation dark ride just to highlight and summarize all of the attractions that they've had in the past that are in the Great Park in Heaven now. I think its hard for adults to truly remember everything that they loved as kids, so some kind of summary would help. Maybe a museum or walk-through would suffice as well. Forgive me if they already have this and I don't know about it.

ppete1975

Star tours, the land, space ship earth, and yes the current journey to imagination.
Yes they are all still there but in 5 years....
Star tours removed due to GE
the land (you know they have to be chomping at the bit to replace this wonderful boat ride)
space ship earth.. I'm scared what will happen when it reopens
the current journey into your imagination with figment (or whatever the heck its called)... I'm scared figment will be gone and even though this ride is an abomination of the original... I'm going to miss figment being gone

as far as recent .... animation courtyard... universe of energy (loved the ride.. and it was such a beautiful building)

older.. centarium... wom... 20000...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom