Future Nostalgia

GVentola

Original Poster
I was looking at a photo of a classic Disney ride and got to thinking about nostalgia. It's one thing to be nostalgic about things in the distant past, but...what in WDW now or in the recent past do you think you'll be nostalgic about in the future? For me, I think it'll be Disney's Hollywood Studios' Streets of America.

Goofyernmost

If you are thinking of individual nostalgia then it is whatever was there on your first few visits that you really enjoyed. Recent first timers are not burdened by someone else's past. They are creating their own. Example, anyone born in the 90's have absolutely no concern about 20K. There is no nostalgia for them. For them it might be something that we currently think of as lame. The current Imagination for instance. Nothing is more personal then nostalgia.

Simba's Mom

the Disney-MGM name

You mean it's not called Disney-MGM? LOL, actually I mistakenly called it MGM recently as I was getting on the boat at BWV ("Where are you headed?") When the CM said "We don't have any park called MGM", it took me a second to figure out my mistake. Yup, 10+ years later, that's still what it is to me. I miss real people sitting in the front of the boat at the Living with the Land boat ride.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Wow that's a great question. It's hard for me to narrow it down to just one.

I miss EPCOT Center. I miss the boring charm, the edutainment, the unrealistic future. I miss rides like Horizons, World of Motion, the Living Seas, MAELSTROM, Body Wars, Cranium Command. I miss Tapestry of Nations. EPCOT Center just had this charm to it that I can't relate put into words. It was just a feeling.

At MK, I miss Snow Whites Scary Adventures, 20k Leagues Under the Sea, Delta Dreamflight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, the Skyway, the old voice on the PeopleMover.

At DHS, I already miss the Osborne Lights, Streets of America, and the CM doing the narration during TGMR.

To quote an earlier poster: "If you are thinking of individual nostalgia then it is whatever was there on your first few visits that you really enjoyed." This statement holds very true. I am sure my kids will feel nostalgic about other rides in comparison to what I feel nostalgic about.

rob0519

Streets of America
Back Lot Tour
Earful Tower
Disney Tennis Club - razed to make way for Bay Lake Tower
Original Test Track
Main Street Alcoves with fruit, beverage and flower stands
Higher quality and selection of souvenirs and clothing
Higher quality and selection of baked goods at the Main St. Bakery
Mickey's Toon Town
The Waterfall in the lobby of the Polynesian

JIMINYCR

Christmas at Disney wont be the same without Osborne lights & the synchronized music. And outside of Christmas I enjoyed wandering through the streets looking at the buildings, window dressing, the street signs and hidden things. It was a peaceful area without an attraction or craziness, or noise, but Disney saw it as a space that wasnt being utilized to draw profits.

The pastry shop in the back of the France pavilion. I used to eat there almost every trip before it was moved and the prices increased. It was quiet, secluded, beautiful and really good for the price.

Walt Disney1955

I think we'll be nostalgic for Peter Pan, the old Jungle Cruise and Tom Sawyer Island.

Yes, it is not lost on me that all of those rides are still there. But after that ridiculous announcement from that dude with the weird thing in his ear the other day that our friends from the west are ripping apart the ToT and re-theming it to a movie that I personally thought was lousy, I just don't have faith in Disney anymore keeping the attractions that are near and dear to us. Sorry, I don't. Walt would be spinning in his grave knowing how his company is going all "corporate" and more interested in merchandise than anything else.............for now, until 5 years later when we are asking ourselves what the heck Guardians of the Galaxy is.

Variable

Asia in AK. The theater was just the start of what I fear will be a chipping away of the roughness, the 'natural' river banks, the brush and trees. There is a general sort of scattered order a small village creates over time, and I don't think Asia is safe from the misguided temptation to organize and smooth this out. To pretty up the 'old ruins'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom