Funny Disney News Story - Mishap at Disney Resort

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
I'm thinking the luggage may have been delivered when they were there and they said it was theirs. So if they accepted delivery as theirs and won't give it back, they're stealing it - yes?

Side note: there, they're, their - did I use them all right?

You used them brilliantly. Then it would also be fraudulent misrepresentation or a crime of false pretenses (depending on FL law)

djkidkaz

They barricaded themselves in their room. The cops had to bang on the door for 10 minutes and threaten arrest. They were in possession of 14 pieces of luggage that did not belong to them. I don't think a $10 gift certificate to the Japan pavilion at Epcot so they could have bought a new Hello Kitty toothbrush was going to do the trick.

Might have, we'll never know.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Might have, we'll never know.

The fact that a $10 gift certificate to the Japan pavilion might not have worked. Yes we will never know.

The barricading themselves in their room and having the cops pound on the door for 10 minutes and threatening arrest...fact.

Maybe if the cops had offered the $10 gift certificate it would have turned out differently.

Last edited:

toolsnspools

I'm with you on this one @djkidkaz . Disney would have come out on top by giving them a $50 gift certificate and keeping it a non-issue. After they got the luggage back, they could have made the rest of their stay as miserable as possible, just to ensure they never came back. Not to mention the liability Disney has to the real owners of the luggage, who probably just had all their stuff gone through by the creepy Hello Kitty wackos. They could claim that almost anything was taken out of their luggage, and Disney would have had a much larger issue on their hands.

KYWDW

I'm with you on this one @djkidkaz . Disney would have come out on top by giving them a $50 gift certificate and keeping it a non-issue. After they got the luggage back, they could have made the rest of their stay as miserable as possible, just to ensure they never came back. Not to mention the liability Disney has to the real owners of the luggage, who probably just had all their stuff gone through by the creepy Hello Kitty wackos. They could claim that almost anything was taken out of their luggage, and Disney would have had a much larger issue on their hands.
I'm leaning towards not knowing the whole story. My wife's suitcase was destroyed beyond reusing. I called the baggage manager and reported the bag being damaged. She said enjoy your vacation we will take care of it. Next day new $80 suitcase waiting in our room. So there has to be more to the story.

mousehockey37

Crazy non-American tourists held luggage hostage, demanded compensation for a toothbrush, didn't comply fully with law enforcement, assaulted law enforcement. It's not known how the toothbrush broke. If they got their bags along with the rest of the bags, how is Disney to know if they were at fault for the breaking of the toothbrush? They came from Australia!!! There's a lot of opportunity there for non-Disney hands to break a toothbrush.

I don't believe that Disney was on the hook to replace this thing either. Would it have possibly resolved the situation? Who knows. But if Disney DID replace the brush, then you're opening a much bigger door for everyone else. Why? Well, if Jimmy Juggler drops his camera lens on the floor and it breaks, he could say that it was damaged by bell services and now Disney is replacing possibly a couple thousand dollar camera lens when this idiot dropped it on his own.

As for the family in the report. No refund, they're in trouble with law enforcement, deport'em. Put them on the next flight back home with a lifetime ban from the parks. To think that they did this in front of their kids is even scarier. The family should just be lucky that the dad didn't get tasered or worse by police, same with the mom and that the kids weren't put in care of Child Services for the night while the parents made a magical trip to jail.

halltd

This story is so bizarre. When I first read it, it seemed to me that the broken toothbrush wasn't even related to the luggage showing up at their room.

It seemed like their toothbrush broke, so it was an annoyance to them earlier in the day. Then, a ton of luggage that isn't theirs shows up in the room and they get further annoyed. Manager shows up to retrieve luggage, and the people see an opportunity to "get something" so they're like, "yeah you can have this luggage back, but can we get a new toothbrush for our troubles?" Then it just goes all kinds of wackadoodle crazy since the manager is basically like, "uh...what's your toothbrush have to do with this...no...no toothbrush...but let me get all this luggage out of your way."

People never cease to amaze me anymore.

FigmentForver96

Ahh reminds me of a time working as a supervisor at target. A guest came in angry claiming she ordered something from target .com and apparently her item was shipped to store and a guest item mean to come to the store was sent to her house. Not sure how it happened, but my job was to fix it. I had every attention to do so but then the guest claimed the item that was shipped to her house was not coming back to store and she wanted her item. Everything was working fine until she decided to push me. At that point the whole thing shut down, called our ap and she was walked out. I get its just a toothbrush but like for all we know it could have been broken before it even made it to the resort.

Tony the Tigger

My point being that all that could have been avoided had the manager replaced the item. I don't condone what he did but when I read that article it comes across that all this went down after he was denied compensation. In my opinion the item was such a cheap replacement that it was an easy fix, it wasn't like the guy had an HD camcorder and tried to get a new one. It was a stupid toothbrush, replace it, end of story. As a manager your job is to diffuse situations before they escalate further.

The customer doesn't get to make the stipulation that they steal other peoples' belongings and occupy a room until they are compensated. Was somebody supposed to drive to the Hello Kitty store at the airport? I've been a manager since I was 17. You don't reward people like that. Some customers are ok to lose.

Tony the Tigger

I completely agree the couple is insane. No denying that. But as someone who has been in management longer than most people on this message board have been alive I know that if I have someone in front of me fussing over a stupid toothbrush, I'm replacing it because a sane person wouldn't do that. As a manager you need to be able to quickly assess the person in front of you and diffuse the situation.

So managers like you are the reason people come to managers like me expecting the moon because they aren't embarrassed to raise a stink in public since it has worked before.

SYRIK2000

Maybe where they are from, a Hello Kitty Toothbrush is a priceless item. Worth fighting over. Seems like the beginnings for a new Crocodile Dundee film.

Polydweller

So managers like you are the reason people come to managers like me expecting the moon because they aren't embarrassed to raise a stink in public since it has worked before.
I hear you on this. I'm a hotelier and can say the moment they refused to let the hotel retrieve the luggage any thoughts of compensation were over. It was Disney's issue for putting luggage in the wrong room but the couple had no legal reason to not relinquish it, they had zero rights to that luggage and were committing offences by failing to give it up and refusing to follow the lawful orders of a peace officer.

You know, the irony is that if they had simply opened the door, let the hotel retrieve the luggage and then mentioned the broken toothbrush they probably would have been given a new one free. Yeah, hotels will do that but won't reward the kind of behaviour seen here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom