Fulton's Crab House Closing for Six Months to become Paddlefish

Admiral01

Premium Member
If the concept art proves to be accurate, and we get the paddle wheel and the stacks back, the Empress Lilly will feel complete again. The kinetics of the building are so incredible sorely missed. A little fake smoke, and a wheel on a motor in the back set the scene. I can't wait to hear that thump-thump-thump sound of the wheel hitting the water again. I can remember it vividly.

I remember my dad explaining to me at a very young age that she wasn't actually a floating boat, that she was a building built into the water to look like a boat. That really made it all the more special to me. It was a lot of effort for a restaurant, and I appreciated it. The smoke, the wheel, and the theme are really what set Disney apart in those early years. I've really missed it during the time I've spent at DTD in my adult years.

It isn't just nostalgia - it is dedication to theming. The Empress needs her details back, and it looks like she may get them.

I rarely get to say this any more regarding changes at WDW - but I am excited.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, May 11. A new dock is being built between the shore and Paddlefish (former Fulton's Crab House).

IMG_7842.JPG

MagicHappens1971

We ate there probably 6 years ago and said never again. Now with so many new great places, it definitely needs a reboot. I would say the same for planet Hollywood.
Haven't gone through the whole thread yet so I don't know if someone has already told you, but Planet Hollywood is getting a reboot. It's reopening later this year as "The Observatory", still Planet Hollywood just a new name, look and feel.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, June 24. The new wooden deck surrounds the ship on all sides, except for the stern. In this view, the original deck railing has been removed from the bow of the ship (some of which can be seen piled in the center of the bow).

IMG_8037.JPG

The entire ship has been gutted now, including most, but not all, of the windows. The first deck railing has been removed from this side.

IMG_8038.JPG

The second deck fire escape platform that used to extend to the shore has been removed.

IMG_8039.JPG

The new wooden deck extends all the way to the stern on both sides of the ship.

IMG_8042.JPG

Phantom Mickey

The simplest plan was to say to Levys, "we already have a seafood restaurant", rename it the Empress Lilly, or Empress Lilly: Jazz Boat and get the operating group who runs Jazz Kitchen to take it over.

With that you have hit your nostalgic Disney fans, open a new cuisine and be able to have a band playing again different style of music .... aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh

Not to bust the warm cozy feeling that seems to be building here, but the DIZZY I seem to know isn't really impressed with warm and cozy. More of an inventor to snare your dollars any way they can.
... Do you guys know WHY the stacks and the paddle wheel was removed in the first place???
It wasn't because they wanted FOLTONS to be a more stand alone looking building.
... THE PADDLE WHEEL is made of wood and from inception had become a big maintenance issue. DIZZY had to routinely remove the paddle wheel and rebuild it, replacing the rotted wood. you know if it costs money, DIZZY usually has one cure....
... The stacks had a sort of similar issue. They were built to last a long time but time was taking its tole on them. Around the time DIZZY wanted to be relieved of the food service and having the burden of all the other pluses that are associated with a big theme park the STACKS became an issue. During a paint / inspection they found the stacks were rusting and from what I read it was pretty bad at the base of the stacks. The article stated there were severe concerns about the integrity of the metal. Since FOLTONS was coming in, DIZZY just eliminated that maintenance issue.
... The only way I can see DIZZY reversing this decision is if they are REALLY pushing the propaganda for the DizzySprings as a whole. I really don't recall DIZZY reversing a decision like this, once its gone...........

Phantom Mickey

There seems to be something paradoxal going on. WDW at once does pander hard with retro, while simultaneously eradicating its past.

Or maybe Disney is losening ties with the person Disney, gone for half a century this year. Walt's movie removed from One Man's Dream, his private office returned, his first name dropped from movies. And no desire to rename the ship in honour of his wife.

Pity, that would add so much history, depth, a link with Walt. Lillian personally christened the ship named after her. WDW doesn't have to build a fake history with convulated backstories. It has half a century of history, which in itself is rooted in decades more of a mainstay of American popular culture. That is unique, other theme parks forever look like the knockoff because of it. Any yet, TWDC mistakes it for silly sentimentalism rather than as a unique asset.

AHhhh, ok, let me put on my asbestose underwear for this one....
This movement has been happening for a long time. Most Dizzy fans are deeply involved in the latent MAGIC and don't want to admit what they are seeing so they "OVERLOOK" what they are beginning to realize. This regime of leaders has no association with the original company or with Walt other than by name.
I would say the turn away from Walt Disneys ideals started with Eisner. He considered some of Walts business strategies as unwise. It may have begun earlier than Eisner, but it had not become as obvious and no one was talking about it. Roy Disney Jr saw the changes and tried to bring back the Disney standard. Do you remember the web site "SAVE DISNEY"??????
Sorry to see you have realized this, it is a shock to a fan when the place you deemed as MAGICAL begins to lose its story, the theme mixes with others, gets confusing,begins to look like a normal amusement park.
Well, yeah, ok......

SirLink

Not to bust the warm cozy feeling that seems to be building here, but the DIZZY I seem to know isn't really impressed with warm and cozy. More of an inventor to snare your dollars any way they can.
... Do you guys know WHY the stacks and the paddle wheel was removed in the first place???
It wasn't because they wanted FOLTONS to be a more stand alone looking building.
... THE PADDLE WHEEL is made of wood and from inception had become a big maintenance issue. DIZZY had to routinely remove the paddle wheel and rebuild it, replacing the rotted wood. you know if it costs money, DIZZY usually has one cure....
... The stacks had a sort of similar issue. They were built to last a long time but time was taking its tole on them. Around the time DIZZY wanted to be relieved of the food service and having the burden of all the other pluses that are associated with a big theme park the STACKS became an issue. During a paint / inspection they found the stacks were rusting and from what I read it was pretty bad at the base of the stacks. The article stated there were severe concerns about the integrity of the metal. Since FOLTONS was coming in, DIZZY just eliminated that maintenance issue.
... The only way I can see DIZZY reversing this decision is if they are REALLY pushing the propaganda for the DizzySprings as a whole. I really don't recall DIZZY reversing a decision like this, once its gone...........

Yes things rust you replace them, things rot you replace them. Or say to a new operating group you have to pay for this. The whole idea that you remove things and don't replace them is the reason why many are at breaking point with the company as a whole.

Phantom Mickey

Yes things rust you replace them, things rot you replace them. Or say to a new operating group you have to pay for this. The whole idea that you remove things and don't replace them is the reason why many are at breaking point with the company as a whole.

EXACTLY

Phantom Mickey

My thought would be legal, at least for the stacks. With the DISNEY MONICOR, they seem to be a target for legal action. I imagine if there is any doubt at all that the stacks would be stable and would not come down by accident, the easy answer is its gone. That removes the entire maintenance concern and cost as well.
.. The paddle wheel is basically just a huge maintenance cost issue. Then again, it was a moving object and you have to keep guests away from it to prevent any accidents.
.. I didn't used to be this critical about things but over the past few years I have seen some strange accidents so in a case where there are thousands of guests roaming everywhere, better to be safe?????

SirLink

My thought would be legal, at least for the stacks. With the DISNEY MONICOR, they seem to be a target for legal action. I imagine if there is any doubt at all that the stacks would be stable and would not come down by accident, the easy answer is its gone. That removes the entire maintenance concern and cost as well.
.. The paddle wheel is basically just a huge maintenance cost issue. Then again, it was a moving object and you have to keep guests away from it to prevent any accidents.
.. I didn't used to be this critical about things but over the past few years I have seen some strange accidents so in a case where there are thousands of guests roaming everywhere, better to be safe?????

So you replace the stacks with new fake stacks, it isn't hard mental pathway to follow. If guests want to touch moving machinery and end up winning the Darwin Awards more power to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom