Full photo coverage of the very first appearance and welcoming ceremony of Duffy

durangojim

:hurl:

Just glad my kids got to do the EPCOT mask thing the very last day it was offered on 10/3. Pretty cool and wish we had done it before. The bear thing looks like kids might like coloring him, but I really don't like how this is a blatant marketing attempt. Hope it fails like it did 2-3 years ago when it was just as stupid. (and I'm not whining, I'm venting :D)

JustInTime

I am okay with Duffy. My only grip is why they couldn't they have made him cuter. Or at least made him as cute as the illustrations. He just isn't that cute! I do love the "where will you take Duffy" tagline. :shrug:

DisneyNut2007

:hurl:

Just glad my kids got to do the EPCOT mask thing the very last day it was offered on 10/3. Pretty cool and wish we had done it before. The bear thing looks like kids might like coloring him, but I really don't like how this is a blatant marketing attempt. Hope it fails like it did 2-3 years ago when it was just as stupid. (and I'm not whining, I'm venting :D)

Wishing for the company to fail?! That's a HUGE sin and you should know that by now! :mad:

NMBC1993

[youtube]B4l80YgKH4g[/youtube]

lol love the office reference, but yeah I agree this is another stupid marketing attempt and just because it works in Japan doesn't mean it'll work here. If you want to market something then I say bring over Phineas and Ferb, I'd buy one of everything:p

tiaragirl

Not hugely sold on this yet, but I do think the bear is adorable.. especially the Mickey paws. Hate that I'm a sucker for teddy bears right now.

cheezbat

what a waste of a character meet and greet. So many other characters that would be worth it over him. Duffy is not Disney material in my mind, and looks so plain. I dont get why the Japanese love him so much, but whatever...they can have him at their park...but he doesn't belong at WDW.

CheshireKat

I think the Duffy thing is really bad- but I know my kids will probably love him, want to meet him and buy his stuff. I guess that what Disney really wants after all!

Is the mask making definetly discontinued? I was wondering when they brought Duffy in they might do something else. My kids liked the masks, but after doing them year after year, it would be nice to do something else. If it is just a Duffy coloring page, then I agree, that is a lousy substitute.

_Scar

I forgot to mention Duffy is Dwight in that clip. Pam and others are the WDW fans. Creed represents those who don't mind Duffy.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
The stuffed Duffy's are cute and I wouldn't mind owning one. However, the meet and greet character looks a bit creepy to me. :lol: :lookaroun I'll probably still go and get my pic taken with him if his line isn't ridiculously long the next time I'm there. :shrug:

durangojim

I think the Duffy thing is really bad- but I know my kids will probably love him, want to meet him and buy his stuff. I guess that what Disney really wants after all!

Is the mask making definetly discontinued? I was wondering when they brought Duffy in they might do something else. My kids liked the masks, but after doing them year after year, it would be nice to do something else. If it is just a Duffy coloring page, then I agree, that is a lousy substitute.

When we did the masks last week Sunday, they were out of the actual masks at two of the pavilions (Mexico and Norway) and just had the cardboard icons that attach to the masks. Both of the CMs said that the masks were being discontinued the next day because of Duffy. Fortunately we were able to go around WS and get masks at China, and our kids finished their masks. My 5 year old son thought the mask was very cool and liked the little icon things that attach to it from each country. I can't see him being very excited about a coloring book bear though.

CheshireKat

When we did the masks last week Sunday, they were out of the actual masks at two of the pavilions (Mexico and Norway) and just had the cardboard icons that attach to the masks. Both of the CMs said that the masks were being discontinued the next day because of Duffy. Fortunately we were able to go around WS and get masks at China, and our kids finished their masks. My 5 year old son thought the mask was very cool and liked the little icon things that attach to it from each country. I can't see him being very excited about a coloring book bear though.

I wonder if they will attach the little symbols to Duffy's body like they did with the mask?

I showed my daughters (7 and 10) the pic of Duffy and as expected they were totally excited to meet him and worse yet, buy the stuff. I told them to start saving their money now! :zipit:

raven

You have to look at it in this light:

Epcot has always had problems getting the interest of children because the main focus of Epcot is on adults. Some families only visit MK during their visit because they fear they would be bored of the other parks. Disney is simply trying to make World Showcase something of interest for those younger children. The masks only go so far but also have to be staffed and supplies ordered. Having a teddy bear with the tag line "Where will you take him?" is a great way to get the children to take their bear around the "world" and get photos with him without paying for additional staff. The children can also take the bear on other vacations and submit photos of their bear to the company. CM's have already taken the bear around the world and have several photos of him in very exotic and exciting places in a company video playing backstage. It's just an attempt to gain more interest in adults to get them to bring their children to Epcot. You and I might not like more kids in that park but it's simply marketing.

jt04

You have to look at it in this light:

Epcot has always had problems getting the interest of children because the main focus of Epcot is on adults. Some families only visit MK during their visit because they fear they would be bored of the other parks. Disney is simply trying to make World Showcase something of interest for those younger children. The masks only go so far but also have to be staffed and supplies ordered. Having a teddy bear with the tag line "Where will you take him?" is a great way to get the children to take their bear around the "world" and get photos with him without paying for additional staff. The children can also take the bear on other vacations and submit photos of their bear to the company. CM's have already taken the bear around the world and have several photos of him in very exotic and exciting places in a company video playing backstage. It's just an attempt to gain more interest in adults to get them to bring their children to Epcot. You and I might not like more kids in that park but it's simply marketing.

I don't have a problem with this. They were clever enough to not force it into one of the pavilions. No harm IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom