Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ausdaddy

Just saw on Twitter, with photo proof, that FP+ is now available for Maelstrom on 9/29. Not sure about beyond. Apologize if this was known. I looked back a couple pages and didn't see anything.

Last edited:

wdwvacationdad

So the Duffy thing was serious? Do you know the history of Duffy?

I really hate being the new guy around here....my point is that Duffy was not based on a Disney character that had previously appeared outside of the parks. Replacing him with Disney characters indicates a shift towards replacing other EPCOT-centric (aka: non-Disney) entities. They're re-branding EPCOT with Disney animated characters.
Sure the re-branding has been going on for a long time (i.e.: Princess meals in Norway, M&G's in WS, Grand Fiesta), but that it's just a matter of time before ALL of WS is assimilated, and we'll lose the original intent of Epcot.

ABQ

I really hate being the new guy around here....my point is that Duffy was not based on a Disney character that had previously appeared outside of the parks. Replacing him with Disney characters indicates a shift towards replacing other EPCOT-centric (aka: non-Disney) entities. They're re-branding EPCOT with Disney animated characters.
Sure the re-branding has been going on for a long time (i.e.: Princess meals in Norway, M&G's in WS, Grand Fiesta), but that it's just a matter of time before ALL of WS is assimilated, and we'll lose the original intent of Epcot.
Certainly, from a purely business standpoint, if the payoff, i.e. revenue stream proves to increase after such changes, yes it makes 100% sense to bury the WS in cartoons. However, that does not mean it's a result of American's preferring entertainment over education. When EPCOT was built, I enjoyed Saturday morning cartoons more than Monday morning algebra (or English, sorry @cw1982 ). The only American's who changed their point of view are those on the board of director's of TWDC. They don't have the daring to impose education on their guests that they once did for fear that they may take their greenbacks down I-4 instead. I'm sure Marty Sklar and the other lead Imagineers of the day were a little nervous that their form of entertaining education may go over like a lead balloon. However, as I'm touched on before, those entertaining education types on Mythbuster's proved a lead balloon can fly.

RSoxNo1

My fault--typing on my phone.
It's the end of history as an academic subject. People would rather be entertained than learn.
This is a Walt Disney concept, people need to remember that while edutainment attractions may be preferred at Epcot, it should not be the sole motivation. Having said that, I still don't support Frozen in Norway.

RSoxNo1

I just rode Maelstrom for probably the last time. So sad. I recorded the ride so my kids can "ride" it befote Frozen took over. I'm just glad I got one last pure ride before the closure.
Do you wanna redo Maelstrom?
Send the trolls and bears away
We won’t see puffins anymore
Or Viking lore
When did EPCOT go astray?
It used to be inspiring
And now it’s not
I wish they would tell us why…
Why do they want to redo Maelstrom?
It doesn’t have to be at Maelstrom.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I couldn't help but notice that you have been to WDW once as an adult, yet seem to have very strong opinions as to how others should feel about potential changes to the parks. There are many local annual passholders in these forums who visit several times a month. Perhaps experiencing the attractions multiple times makes us crave some change? And yes, I have followed this thread for months. There are plenty of knowledgable well-read "new members" who decided to join for various reasons. A well- known member isn't necessarily entitled to any more than a new one. Sorry, just had to speak up for all of us newbies.

I love the word entitled in your post. It completely misses the responses (from @cw1982 and others including myself) that explained why the way the opinion was presented met with such great resistance that extended beyond the theme of the post itself. I have often presented contrary opinions here. The greatest debates leave out the obfuscation or sly methods of characterizing those who have a juxtaposed opinion as intellectually inferior. When you have a strong, well supported argument, you usually refrain from pounding on the table. Castigating your opponent for the color of his house instead of issue on the table is the pursuit of ambulance chasers. The beauty of a forum is we are all equally entitled to our opinion on the given subject of a thread so in that sense we entirely agree.

I live on the west side of the country. I visit WDW three to four times per year for about a week each visit. I am a DVC member. I am a Premier Annual Passport Holder because I am just as likely to be in DLR for a dozen weekend visits per year. I agree the staleness of certain attractions should demand remedy. I am not in favor of a character driven overlay replacing an edutainment oriented original. I will add a caveat here, if that overlay is a seasonal overlay such as Disneyland's HM Holiday during the late fall and winter, I would love to see that. Does my opinion count more that a visitor who has only been to the parks at WDW once? For our purposes here I think all opinions are equal.

Heaven forbid they miss a day. But yes, I'm pro-education, married to a teacher, and thought it wouldn't be a big deal for them to miss a day of school before fall break....

** Edit: not to mention, my children are 3 and 5, and missing a WEEK of school at their age really wouldn't be 'anti-education.'

I think it is great you are getting your little ones to the park. Hopefully before the closing of this attraction on the 28th. There are many types of learning at all ages and life experiences can be more influential than a book.

*1023*

EDIT: I have been corrected, no specific date (September 28th was last I saw) has been identified as Maelstrom's last. I hope it's still up and running for my visit.

Last edited:

Mike S

Do you wanna redo Maelstrom?
Send the trolls and bears away
We won’t see puffins anymore
Or Viking lore
When did EPCOT go astray?
It used to be inspiring
And now it’s not
I wish they would tell us why…
Why do they want to redo Maelstrom?
It doesn’t have to be at Maelstrom.
Made one of my own months ago, thought I'd share it again.
Do you want to ruin Epcot?
Come on let's screw Norway!!
It doesn't make us money anymore, let's gut the ride, and do a cheap overlay!!!
We used to care about culture, but now we don't, money's the reason why!!
Do you want to ruin Epcot? I think we should ruin Epcot... (Approved) okay fine :greedy:

wdwvacationdad

Certainly, from a purely business standpoint, if the payoff, i.e. revenue stream proves to increase after such changes, yes it makes 100% sense to bury the WS in cartoons. However, that does not mean it's a result of American's preferring entertainment over education. When EPCOT was built, I enjoyed Saturday morning cartoons more than Monday morning algebra (or English, sorry @cw1982 ). The only American's who changed their point of view are those on the board of director's of TWDC. They don't have the daring to impose education on their guests that they once did for fear that they may take their greenbacks down I-4 instead. I'm sure Marty Sklar and the other lead Imagineers of the day were a little nervous that their form of entertaining education may go over like a lead balloon. However, as I'm touched on before, those entertaining education types on Mythbuster's proved a lead balloon can fly.

Agreed. Someone needs the cajones to push an educational agenda at EPCOT. They need to create DEMAND, because there isn't any. If there was demand for educational programming, then the Discovery Channel, TLC, and History Channel wouldn't be airing 'Highway to Sell', 'Long Island Medium,' and 'Pawn Stars' on prime time tonight....remember when they aired educational/informational content? I have to give Fox some credit for airing Cosmos... but Miss USA Pageant had higher ratings than the series finale. Yes, Disney needs to up their game and lead the way. They've brought back their nature films (yea), but wouldn't it be awesome if they helped create more demand for science and history? It's a win/win-- people are exposed to quality content AND Disney makes money. And I know it's heresy, but I learned about science because of my love of Star Wars...it IS possible for quality fictional material to inspire children to learn. So maybe (just maybe) there's a chance that a Frozen themed Maelstrom might inspire kids to learn more about Norway (kinda like the bump in tourism that Norway's gotten this summer). Maybe?

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Golly, I must be dimwitted (self-deprication fulfilled!). Had no idea how serious people take Maelstrom and their edu-tainment. Apparently, I should spend more time getting educated so that I can be more pro-education (or is it 'edu-tainment'). It's not like I said something controversial like, "my girls enjoy Frozen more than trolls and oil rigs,' or proclaimed what changes I'd like to see in the parks (ex: a Herbie the Love Bug themed Test Track) Nope-- just said, Americans have stopped caring about the educational value of their entertainment, hence the declining attendance at museums and education-themed attractions-- AND taking Duffy out is a sign that more Disney-theming is coming (the EXACT same type of post on the other 230 pages in this thread).
Kinda surprised at the 'hypocrite' comment (I didn't admit to it) and 'mocking' messages from a fans who frequent the 'happiest place on earth.'

Clearly outlined, amongst these many pages, are the opinions and arguments on both sides in regards to significant change to the attraction at the Norway pavilion. "Your girls enjoy Frozen more than trolls and oil rigs." is a fine response. So do my niece and nephew. If I get an educating, fun attraction in the Norway pavilion that enhances or even replaces an existing ride, I might me alright with that. Based on recent past performance in this particular park, that is unlikely.

I would argue that you are not dimwitted. I have been the only person to "like" your comments to date. I am surprised, based on what little information you have provided in 13 total post to date, that you are not arguing for improving the Edutainment in this one of four theme parks at WDW.

As far as Duffy goes, I could take or leave him. Original IP starting in the parks is difficult, but former iterations of TWDC did it several times.

I hope you enjoy your trip, I am looking forward to mine.

*1023*

lazyboy97o

Duffy is specifically connected to Mickey Mouse. His being removed from World Showcase has absolutely nothing to do with the direction of the park and everything do with Disney's own lack of awareness regarding cultural differences. They thought he would be the smash hit he has been at Tokyo DisneySEA, ignoring years of demographic and spending differences.

BigTxEars

I am looking forward to a new queue area, the one at Maelstrom was just lame IMO. Felt like the one at the local Luby's. The ride was good but that queue sucked IMO. With the recent queue areas at WDW being so awesome I am excited to see what they do.

cw1982

I couldn't help but notice that you have been to WDW once as an adult, yet seem to have very strong opinions as to how others should feel about potential changes to the parks. There are many local annual passholders in these forums who visit several times a month. Perhaps experiencing the attractions multiple times makes us crave some change? And yes, I have followed this thread for months. There are plenty of knowledgable well-read "new members" who decided to join for various reasons. A well- known member isn't necessarily entitled to any more respect than a new one. Sorry, just had to speak up for all of us newbies.

I don't care whether anyone agrees with my opinions or not. I was challenging the assertion that those of us who want WS to remain about cultures of actual countries, as opposed to fictional characters, are nothing more than closed minded pessimists.

I'm all for changes that improve the parks. But this change just doesn't fit imho.

Last edited:

cw1982

Wow! You obviously missed the entire point of my post. All opinions are equal. I agree. Simply don't think it's fair that a new member was chastised so harshly for being new and supposedly not educated re: the content of the thread. Opinion aside. Referring to one as "dense" is beneath all of us here. If a new member referred to a well-known as dense the backlash would be intense. That is why the term "entitled" was used. Sheesh!

If you have a problem with me, feel free to pm me.

I was actually not calling him dense. At the time, I was convinced we were dealing with someone who was determined to make inflammatory statements. The dense comment was because that was the only other way his response to some of our posts made sense at the time.

But it certainly won't hurt my feelings if you put me on your ignore list. You don't have to like my every post.

BigTxEars

Gosh-a-mighty; this thread has gotten more bitter than a bad bunch of Brussels sprouts. And at the risk of further rocking the boat...
All opinions are not equally valid. While everyone has an equal right to their opinions, some opinions are just plain stupid. Sad, but true.

1. All Brussels sprouts suck, spoiled or not! Why God created those, green peas and cauliflower I shall never know!

2. I think we all agree some opinions suck, we just disagree on which ones do :) But your right the "everyone's opinion is valid" is hippy crap left from the 60s that needs to go away.

Hey hippies ate lots of veggies right? I bet they are responsible for Brussels sprouts, green peas and cauliflower still being around too...damn hippies.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom