Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

Devil's Advocate

Norway no longer supports their own pavilion. Maelstrom is boring and outdated. No one stays for the film anymore and most rush through the shop. Why should Disney spend money to fix it? There is an adjacent pad available so take Maelstrom out and build a larger Frozen ride on both pads that will kick . It can still be Scandinavian themed but capitalize on the popularity of Frozen and replace a worn out mold stained Norwegian ride that the mother country no longer cares about.

/End Devil's advocate
Because World Showcase is about sharing other cultures. If the Norway Pavilion no longer works it should be replaced with another proper pavilion, not the current hot property that is not at all related the World Showcase.

tl77

Future World used to be about life in the future, now it's a place to meet Nemo and Friends

NormC

Because World Showcase is about sharing other cultures. If the Norway Pavilion no longer works it should be replaced with another proper pavilion, not the current hot property that is not at all related the World Showcase.
It could do both if done right.

Bocabear

Do it in Fantasyland...Where a Fairytale Princess belongs. Get rid of the circus tents and use that space to build a whole new attraction based on Frozen with trackless vehicles... Theme the exterior with rockwork and a Scandinavian village, with an ice castle on top like Be Our Guest...Add a beautifully themed Meet & Greet that you enter through an ice tunnel a-la Ice Station Cool ...and Viola, a completed even bigger Fantasyland with 2 new attractions and a fortification of Disney's Princess brand. Bottom line is Magic Kingdom needs more attractions as it is the busiest park...
As cute as the Circus theme is, it really makes no sense ... let Fantasyland be the land of the Disney Princesses...

WDWDad13

Do it in Fantasyland...Where a Fairytale Princess belongs. Get rid of the circus tents and use that space to build a whole new attraction based on Frozen with trackless vehicles... Theme the exterior with rockwork and a Scandinavian village, with an ice castle on top like Be Our Guest...Add a beautifully themed Meet & Greet that you enter through an ice tunnel a-la Ice Station Cool ...and Viola, a completed even bigger Fantasyland with 2 new attractions and a fortification of Disney's Princess brand. Bottom line is Magic Kingdom needs more attractions as it is the busiest park...
As cute as the Circus theme is, it really makes no sense ... let Fantasyland be the land of the Disney Princesses...

I like it but I don't see them destroying what they just made

Last edited:

Bocabear

The design phase for this would take a minimum of 3 years...and the tents were the least amount of construction...not a great loss.

Fairybuzz

I don't post much on these forums, but why not.

I have always loved Maelstrom for some reason. I've always considered it to be the B-movie of theme park attractions: on the surface, it's bad and random, but it has an incredible charm that you just can't find or duplicate anywhere else. That being said, Maelstrom should not be replaced with a Frozen ride. EPCOT is too over-saturated with film characters as it is. Yes Frozen is popular, yes it is probably the start of a new era of Disney animation, but in no way should it be brought to EPCOT because it was designed with a Scandinavian flare. Really, Frozen does not and should not belong anywhere in EPCOT. I just feel that the ride has such a personality and it would be an incredible loss to lose such a ride to what would probably be a cookie cutter "Hey look - Frozen!" water ride.

Enjoy my feeble attempts at eloquence. I'm going back to the shadows to quietly observe the forums where I belong.

I agree. Im so scared of another stupid Plasma screen and dark room ride. If a roller coaster, then it'll be a matterhorn clone, If a next gen ride, it'll be too short. But most of all it'll be out of place. I like frozen, I like princesses, But this is not the place for it.

Oh, now I feel bad! :oops:

As far as I'm concerned, Disney builds an entire park devoted to Frozen. And a princess park, and a m&g kingdom.

But please no more in EPCOT. I've been watching the demise of EPCOT for two frustrating decades. My words are meant for that, in general. Not for taking a delight in Disney animation and seeing that represented in Disney's parks. Lord knows, I love that as much as the next person.

Exactly. Epcot is losing its theme already. Nemo has no place there either. And if they put a frozen ride here why not just change germany into the mine train ride? Germany is as much about cartoon dwarf mines as Norway is about frozen. Then why not also tear down the venice looking stuff and prop up pinnocio? (which i will never spell right no matter how I try!) Make Japan Kingdom Hearts land, China Mulan world, Morocco could be vaguely african so put lion king there or Aladdin and finally destroy the american adventure to put up The Princess and the Frog, because every country can be summed up by a single disney movie that takes place there!

Epcot was enjoyed with plenty of success in it's early incarnations, the only one dumbing down the parks is the folks running it. The only difference is that guests just don't seem to mind, most likely because many are first timers and don't know that something even better used to sit in it's place. So I don't blame the guests, I blame the showrunners.

Their only happy with the mediocre because they DONT KNOW WHAT THERE EATING!!!

Devil's Advocate

Norway no longer supports their own pavilion. Maelstrom is boring and outdated. No one stays for the film anymore and most rush through the shop. Why should Disney spend money to fix it? There is an adjacent pad available so take Maelstrom out and build a larger Frozen ride on both pads that will kick . It can still be Scandinavian themed but capitalize on the popularity of Frozen and replace a worn out mold stained Norwegian ride that the mother country no longer cares about.

/End Devil's advocate

A. I dont think its boring, thats an opinion not a fact.

B. Like I said, its diminishing the country by saying the american view of it is what really important. Its like saying Norway is only important because frozen looks like it was there. People would laugh if Japan made a movie taking place in America then made a theme park where you supposidly learn about america by watching this films stereotyped and vague portrayal come to life. Yeehaw buckaroo!

Bocabear

Maelstrom would have been more compelling if the ride were longer...It was a great beginning to a rushed ending....could have been so much more. Problem is there is just so little to do attraction-wise in the world Showcase... If the Germany Ride had opened, an attraction for Japan, China, UK and Italy, then the expectations for Maelstrom would not need to be so high. But I agree that EPCOT should be EPCOT...not princess land or anything else.

MonorailMan

Now the characters are everywhere -- Mickey in FW, Snow White/dwarfs in Germany, Alladin in Morocco, etc. I get it. Just keep the attractions focused on the countries in WS.
I am completely behind Disney on having characters from their movies in/around the countries the film is about, but a ride based on a movie should be in a park about movies.... OH WAIT, Disney already has a park for movies! Put Frozen is Hollywood Studios if you really want a ride for Frozen!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom