Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Frozen deserves it's own, one of a kind, large scale, mega E-Ticket that the entire family can enjoy - and it doesn't belong in Epcot Center. :)

Yes! Frozen should have its own attraction and as far away from Epcot as possible, these type rides should be in MK.

FerretAfros

Japan was supposed to have a Mt. Fuji ride, but unfortunately, Kodak was a huge sponsor at the time, and FujiFilm is one of their biggest competitors. Even though that's the mountain's proper name, they didn't want anybody associating Disney World with FujiFilm, not matter how tenuous the connection.
I've always wondered how much truth there is to this story. I'm sure that a Mt Fuji coaster was probably thrown around at some point, but I can't imagine the Kodak thing would have stopped them if they had done any worthwhile development on it

Additionally, Japan was supposed to get the CoP-esque Meet The World, which was built for TDL and ran there for 20+ years before being removed. Supposedly the Meet the World building was built (possibly even including the turntable) but the attraction was never installed. Given the attraction line-up for all of the other pavilions, I just have a tough time believing that Japan would have gotten 2 "big" attractions, while most just have a movie (if anything)

Fox&Hound

Give it its own space -- I've thought the land between the UK and the International Gateway would be idea as a "welcome" to the park via that entrance and that puts it on the opposite side from the Mexico/Norway boat rides. I've pictured building IASW with a facade like at DL and then it can feature a projection show at night like they have there. No reason it would have to be part of an existing country, there is plenty of additional space in the WS.

My idea has always been to move IASW to Epcot and use the vacated show space in MK to make a Tangled themed boat ride (which would be right next to the Tangled bathrooms, which would strengthen that theme).

Oh my gosh! I said this exact same thing about moving IASW to EPCOT and using that space in MK for a Tangled Ride! Great minds think alike. C'mon Disney, let's do it!!!!! =)

I wonder if they would ever do a way with Future World and just use that space for more countries. Not sure how SSE would fit into that but the two part sof the park enver seemed to fit together aka the story of how the park was built when imagineers pushed the two tables together that represented different parks and said "Hey, here's an idea!" It always seems like Disney struggles with ideas of the future (since it quickly becomes the present) and Tomorrowland and Future World are seriously hurting. Why not make the whole park about world culture and leave it at that????

Communicore

I've always wondered how much truth there is to this story. I'm sure that a Mt Fuji coaster was probably thrown around at some point, but I can't imagine the Kodak thing would have stopped them if they had done any worthwhile development on it

Additionally, Japan was supposed to get the CoP-esque Meet The World, which was built for TDL and ran there for 20+ years before being removed. Supposedly the Meet the World building was built (possibly even including the turntable) but the attraction was never installed. Given the attraction line-up for all of the other pavilions, I just have a tough time believing that Japan would have gotten 2 "big" attractions, while most just have a movie (if anything)
I've always wanted to see inside that building (behind the store) even though it's a storage room. Maybe the turntable is there?

Thrill Seeker

I agree. I would love to see them turn the outdated mess that is The Great Movie Ride and turn it into an E Ticket massive Frozen attraction. Hollywood Studios needs a family attraction, and Frozen would be a great centerpiece for the park(complete with Castle).

I know it's rude to laugh in one's face, but this deserves that...

Epcot is the best location for Frozen. I'm all for Maelstrom being replaced.

WDWoptmist

There's no need for that. There is plenty of land in between existing pavillions in WS to add more countries.
Agreed absolutely no need for that look at all the space they have still in WS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 63

Matt_Black

Never understood why they have demanded that the host country pay for it.

They don't. Morocco is the only nation that directly sponsors their pavilion. Others are sponsored by businesses native to the country in question. Norway is sponsored in part by the government, but most of the money came from Norwegian businesses.

More information can be found right here.

CDavid

Epcot is the best location for Frozen. I'm all for Maelstrom being replaced.

Uh, No. Frozen does not belong in Epcot; It is neither a nation of the world nor a part of the Future World in which we shall all be living.

Frozen is instead an animated motion picture, and as such it fits perfectly well at the Studios (which needs help from new attractions) or Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom.

Fairybuzz

Sorry Im a little late on this but NO NO NO NO NO!!! This is the last ride left in Epcot from my childhood that hasnt been pryed away. Don't they see they replaced an entire theme park? what other park has even come near such a thing? If you replace Maelstrom, there's nothing left of Epcot for me to remember. Can't anything stay? does EVERYTHING have to go in epcot? This ride is the reason I love Norse culture. Frozen has next to nothing to do with norse culture at all! And yes I liked the movie. but It doesn't have a place here. Can't we "old timers" have just one thing to hold on to?

Turtle

I say quickly change Maelstrom to a new Frozen themed roller coaster! Disneyland is stagnant and needs new ideas. They draw from a large fan base in Los Angeles and this would definitely be a shot in higher attendance. An excellent idea for this outdated coaster. Good thinking imagineers!
A new themed coaster? why not the Matterhorn with an Olaf AA

Fairybuzz

A new themed coaster? why not the Matterhorn with an Olaf AA
Lol not everything needs a rollercoaster!

Anywho now that I got over my initial horror let me break this down in a way only I, an Avid fan of classic epcot, can.

There is nothing wrong with the Malestrom. It doesn't need to be rethemed. You meet the chars from the movie then you learn just a little bit about where some of the legends come from for real, in a fun and exciting way. You cannot argue that Maelstrom has no appeal to little kids. I, as a little girl, Loved the ride and looked foraward to it wearing my tiny plastic viking helmet and pretending to be a fierce female viking. I even had many dreams about the ride as a kid. when I cant go to Disney it's one of the things I miss most, right up there with Splash Mountain, and Space mt. As of now its my favorite ride in epcot, and the only thing remaining that I remember from growing up.

They've taken away EVERYTHING that made epcot epcot in my mind. The dark mysterious image works of old, the whimsical Rio Tiemo, and World of motion, The fantasticism of Horizons and the wonders of the original imagination ride. WOL's bright clean looking dome of gold where you can wander around and discover all kinds of things. Even the fountain I used to eat next to and watch in wonder at the Land pavillion is now gone. The only thing remaining that I remember from those better years is this ride.

Lets break down the park

Heres a list of the major attractions that have been ruin...."updated" (ok some of these updates were good like SSE)
Space ship Earth/Global Neighborhood
The Living Seas (Worst of the worst)
Imagination (TERRIBLE!)
Universe of Energy
Rio Del Tiempo (IT makes no sense now why are the 3 Cabs singing in a hallway of aztec paintings?)
Innoventions (had to)

And here are the ones removed
Horizons
World OF Motion
ALL of Wonders of life
KC/Food rocks

So What's left?
Livin' With the Land
Maelstrom
American Adventure

Admitting some people find Livin' boring. It is after all a lot of watching grass grow (But I like it though so shh)

Ironically and randomly these two remaining rides are water based.

But that makes Most of epcot completely replaced.

Can you Imagine if they treated the Magic Kingdom like this? Or Disneyland?
Heck even DCA has more remaining unchanged rides than Epcot

Can you imagine if they tore down Space mountain and Thunder Mountain splash mountain peter pan small world Haunted mansion and Dumbo? and then completely changed the rest except for three things, POTC, The Jungle Cruise and The Hall of Presidents. Then a rumor formed that POTC would be changed into a Jake and the Neverland Pirates ride?
People would be outraged.

There was a time when Epcot didnt need to rely on "safe" tie ins. They could come up with (OMIGOSH!!!) an ORIGINAL STORY!! with original Characters!! and original adventure that you can put yourself in instead of watching other chars do things that dont concern you.

When I saw the commercial for norway that tied into Frozen I ran to the internet to make sure this ride was alright. I knew what their thinking and all I could think in my head is YOU BETTER NOT!!!

Albeit I do tend to embelish my rants, but for good reason. I feel very strongly on this one. Let us have this one ride to remember the old epcot by. Just one little ride. common! You can put frozen in Magic Kingdom where the fantasy movie stuff belongs! Build a castle and all. I feel like if this ride goes I should hold a funeral for epcot haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom