Frozen on Broadway, what?

Sped2424

I knew this was going to happen though if the film proved to be any sort of success on lion kings level. I assume it shall get the broadway treatment in 3-4 years much like beauty and the beast and lion king.

Sped2424

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/01/13/frozen-headed-to-broadway/

I still haven't gotten to see it, but I didn't think it was nearly as popular as they were saying.

Is this a film that could work like Beauty and the Beast, or are we headed for another 'here one minute gone the next' show?

Isn't this very much like Wicked?

Anyone have any thoughts or know anything more about this?
The film is doing extremely well critically and commercially and exceeding all the expectations it had. A lot of the comparison to wicked stem from Idina menzel and the fact that she gets another Screw everything and everyone type song in this musical. But after that the comparisons end there.

A1st

That seems to be the natural plan that they have used with their other big shows. And once they are successful enough to stand alone, they can move out of the New Amsterdam (like Lion King did) and make way for the Next Big Thing for Disney to be given a safe start at the New Amsterdam.

Newsies started in a smaller venue (The Nederlander), but is also a show aimed at a smaller general audience. Same might be said of AIDA. Not sure where that one premiered. I know that Mary Poppins premiered at the New Amsterdam, as did (I think) Beauty and the Beast before it moved to make way for The Lion King.
Beauty and the Beast premiered at the Palace Theater in 1994, back when disney didn't "own" the New Amsterdam theater. It then moved to the Lunt Fontanne theater to make way for Aida.

wdwfan22

I think Frozen would do great as a broadway musical. I don't think we will see it on the stage though anytime soon. Most Disney theatrical productions take 3 to 5 years once they go into development before the show makes it to the stage.

AndyLL

I think Frozen would do great as a broadway musical. I don't think we will see it on the stage though anytime soon. Most Disney theatrical productions take 3 to 5 years once they go into development before the show makes it to the stage.

I think Iger will fast track it. He's made statements before that they react to late to the success of their films.

I would expect it 1st in the parks... hopefully Disneyland.

SyracuseOrange

The film is doing extremely well critically and commercially and exceeding all the expectations it had. A lot of the comparison to wicked stem from Idina menzel and the fact that she gets another Screw everything and everyone type song in this musical. But after that the comparisons end there.
They go further than that. Both of Menzel's characters have been villainiaed, but we get to see their softer side and understand their story. Both had some sort of power that they felt they had to conceal, but later realized was their greatest strength once they could control it. Through in a perky girl with the charming guy she just met, too.

There are many more similarities than just one actor and one song.

Sped2424

They go further than that. Both of Menzel's characters have been villainiaed, but we get to see their softer side and understand their story. Both had some sort of power that they felt they had to conceal, but later realized was their greatest strength once they could control it. Through in a perky girl with the charming guy she just met, too.

There are many more similarities than just one actor and one song.
Anna is nothing like glidna however and I was talking about the central story perhaps I should have rephrased that last bit. As Elsa and Elphaba do have similar themes and trials and tribulations but the overall stories do differ quite well.

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/01/13/frozen-headed-to-broadway/

I still haven't gotten to see it, but I didn't think it was nearly as popular as they were saying.

Is this a film that could work like Beauty and the Beast, or are we headed for another 'here one minute gone the next' show?

Isn't this very much like Wicked?

Anyone have any thoughts or know anything more about this?
The show is very good but why you are saying that its not so good.
http://www.broadway.org/info/top-broadway-musicals-in-new-york-city

Figaro928

Yikes, it's not even out of the theaters yet....

If they do hurry a Broadway production there probably goes any chance of a WDW stage show?

stewdog1

I leaned over to my wife during the middle of seeing this film and said that it seems like they wanted to do a Broadway musical but decided to make a movie first.

Figaro928

Isn't Aladin making its way to Broadway right now?

Disney has three theaters on broadway. Lion King is going no where any time soon. and Mary Poppins is there too. Maybe after one of those complete their run.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Isn't Aladin making its way to Broadway right now?

Disney has three theaters on broadway. Lion King is going no where any time soon. and Mary Poppins is there too. Maybe after one of those complete their run.
Aladdin took over forMary Poppins Newsies is the 3 rd show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom