Frozen on Broadway, what?

Bolt

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/01/13/frozen-headed-to-broadway/

I still haven't gotten to see it, but I didn't think it was nearly as popular as they were saying.

Is this a film that could work like Beauty and the Beast, or are we headed for another 'here one minute gone the next' show?

Isn't this very much like Wicked?

Anyone have any thoughts or know anything more about this?
It is as popular as everyone is saying. After this weekend, the film has now grossed over $715 million and still has a bunch of major oversea markets, including Asian ones that are a powerhouse for the Disney box office. I wouldn't be surprised if all said and done that this movie gets close to the $1 billion amount (which is kinda insane).

Fable McCloud

Original Poster
It is as popular as everyone is saying. After this weekend, the film has now grossed over $715 million and still has a bunch of major oversea markets, including Asian ones that are a powerhouse for the Disney box office. I wouldn't be surprised if all said and done that this movie gets close to the $1 billion amount (which is kinda insane).

I see. I just hadn't gotten to see it, so I couldn't judge. It just didn't seem as popular over here in Massachusetts. All the theaters had 2-3 showtimes right after release instead of the 10-15 for the big films.

Also all the people I know who have kids and love Disney either didn't see it due to poor marketing or were unimpressed.

I had little to go on.

Bolt

I see. I just hadn't gotten to see it, so I couldn't judge. It just didn't seem as popular over here in Massachusetts. All the theaters had 2-3 showtimes right after release instead of the 10-15 for the big films.

Also all the people I know who have kids and love Disney either didn't see it due to poor marketing or were unimpressed.

I had little to go on.
Not sure what the kids were watching the last six weeks then because only Walking With Dinosaurs has come out. The movie has been #1 two different weekends so the country is going enough to make it the biggest movie in the country.

Were the kids seeing 47 Ronin or American Hustle? Those were perfect holiday themed movies.

Magenta Panther

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/01/13/frozen-headed-to-broadway/

I still haven't gotten to see it, but I didn't think it was nearly as popular as they were saying.

Is this a film that could work like Beauty and the Beast, or are we headed for another 'here one minute gone the next' show?

Isn't this very much like Wicked?

Damn straight it is. :D And don't think comparisons won't be made by theater critics if "Frozen" ever does open on Broadway. (Not that the public will care, of course).

Magenta Panther

In the article, it also mentions the possibility of theme park rides...let the speculation begin :D

See, even though I'm not a fan of that "loosely based on The Snow Queen" movie, I'm all for a Frozen attraction, especially in New Fantasyland. I think an ice castle - a full-sized one - would be amazing. And a whole Frozen area - with snow and ice everywhere, perhaps with snow falling off and on - would be epic. I've always liked the look of Blizzard Beach. A Frozen area could plus that and be one of the most beautiful areas in WDW.

PhilharMagician

If it hits 1billion will we see a sequel?

I do not think money denotes whether they will do a sequel or not. The Incredibles grossed over $200,000 more than cars and had no sequel. With the Cars franchise they have done the original Cars, Cars 2, a crap load of Mater shorts, Planes (not directly cars, but cars with wings). The Incredibles have nothing but the original movie and the Jack Jack short.

Does Frozen deserve or need a sequel? Not sure since I have not been able to see it yet.

stevehousse

This will be good on broadway! The songs are excellent! If you haven't seen it yet, go out and do so, you won't regret it! It's been one of our families favorite Disney movies in a long time! The last movie they loved this much was Wreck it Ralph. I have 2 young boys and they won't stop singing the songs! We finally for to see it last week!

A1st

Ok this is absolute speculation but I have a theory. So as of now all we know is that frozen is coming to broadway. That's it. We also know that Aladdin is coming to broadway, at the New Amsterdam theater which is owned by Disney. Since they aren't sure how well Aladdin will do, and disney does not artificially keep shows running, I think disney is waiting to see if Aladdin does well, and if it doesn't, (Which I really hope it does!) Frozen moves into the New Amsterdam theater shortly afterward.

Again, pure speculation

prberk

Ok this is absolute speculation but I have a theory. So as of now all we know is that frozen is coming to broadway. That's it. We also know that Aladdin is coming to broadway, at the New Amsterdam theater which is owned by Disney. Since they aren't sure how well Aladdin will do, and disney does not artificially keep shows running, I think disney is waiting to see if Aladdin does well, and if it doesn't, (Which I really hope it does!) Frozen moves into the New Amsterdam theater shortly afterward.

Again, pure speculation

That seems to be the natural plan that they have used with their other big shows. And once they are successful enough to stand alone, they can move out of the New Amsterdam (like Lion King did) and make way for the Next Big Thing for Disney to be given a safe start at the New Amsterdam.

Newsies started in a smaller venue (The Nederlander), but is also a show aimed at a smaller general audience. Same might be said of AIDA. Not sure where that one premiered. I know that Mary Poppins premiered at the New Amsterdam, as did (I think) Beauty and the Beast before it moved to make way for The Lion King.

rct247

Speculation... Beauty & the Beast has the movie, the Broadway show, and the theme park Broadway-esque show. I know at one time Tangled was thought as a possible replacement for Beauty & the Beast at DHS. If this goes Broadway, I could see them finding lots of ways to pull them into the parks like they have with Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Lion King, and Nemo with a Broadway-esque show being one of them. I think Frozen will make a great Broadway show and deserves it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom