Frozen Ever After opening day

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I thought when I looked at the thread I'd get information about the attraction and experiences from open day. What I ended up finding was the same people with the same whining they've been doing for 2 years now. I guess half my complaint is this stuff clutters every single thread and nobody can find any actual information any more.

OUT
How much more information do you expect to garner aside from what the first ten pages of this thread have? There are videos, pictures, personal experiences and CM reports. Are you looking for wait times? Do you want to see more videos of the exact same thing? Stories about the attraction going down for the third time in one day? The title of this thread is "FEA Opening Day", not "FEA continual round the clock coverage".

What you continue to call "whining" is actually people pointing out that the ride is indeed the cluster bomb of operational nightmares as well as a thorn in the side of WS as was predicted by those who were able to see past the pants wetting excitment of Disney announcing something for Frozen. The attraction does look cute, I will enjoy it when I visit, but I will continue to hold the company accountable for the huge mistake they have made in hopes that if enough people can put aside their personal feelings and realize that even though their bored kids may find WS 2% more interesting now, that this type of mistake should not be made again. In any of the parks. The company should value their customers and their IP enough to do the job the right way and not just put a band aid on a borken leg.

Incomudro

To everyone here who's complaining/laughing at/lamenting over broken effects on a new ride, I suggest you read a few books written by Imagineers like Bob Gurr, Steve Alcorn, John Hench, or Marty Sklar (not the sanitized official Disney ones). Every single one of them is replete with tales of just barely getting a new attraction open only to have half of the effects broken and WDI having to baby the ride along for several days or weeks until everything is up to par. That's not the "new Disney" it's "the same Disney that's existed since 1955" with regards to theme parks.

As usual on these forums, people seem to think that the current Disney Parks are different from other eras. There were always disappointing rides that replaced a beloved old attraction that ended up being a maintenance nightmare. There were always delays and missed deadlines. There were always awesome concepts that got shelved and rides that got shortened for budget reasons. There were always bean counters "ruining" WDI's vision. There were always operations concerns that didn't jive with WDI's designs. None of this is new...

I'm plenty upset when I see cool concepts passed over or when a ride I like is "ruined" by an upgraded experience. I'm sure people were livid when Rocket to the Moon was "ruined" by Mission to Mars- a cheap overlay that was slapped over a classic attraction. Still, it's par for the course and has always happened. If you think any different, you really don't know much about Disney's parks in a historical context.
Thank You.
Back then, we didn't know.
Didn't know what was planned vs what ultimately made it to production, didn't know about budgets, we got what we got, and we loved it.
Now, everyone's an expert.
Everyone knows what goes on behind the scenes, and everyone thinks that if they were in charge, they'd do a better job.
Nauseating.

DisUniversal

I promised myself I wouldn't get involved with this topic anymore, but, you and no one else knows what they used for criteria when assigning a "rating" originally. I'm sure how much it cost them to build it figured in. How much detail was involved, etc. That said, it would have very quickly lost it's "E" status if no one was lining up to see it. I know that they banter about the use of Letter ratings within the company and even mention it from time to time, just like all of us tend to continue to use a phrase that has long since ceased to exist. Even after all these years, people still call MK... Disney World. That really doesn't change anything. Let's say that a 20 or even a 30 something hears that something is an "E" ticket ride. Do you really think that it means anything to them? If anything they might think that an "A" rating would be the best since that is the sequence of lettering we use for everything else.

Now lets go to the original purpose of the lettering system. When you bought your ticket to enter Disneyland (cause that's where it started) you either bought or were given initially (I'm not sure which) a book of tickets with a counted number of A through E tickets in it. There were fewer E's then anything else because those were the one that Disney projected that people wanted to see. Since it was a limited number and those are the attractions that you wanted, you went back and bought another book of tickets and maybe another and so on. That was based on what they thought you would pay extra to see. It might have been in line with quality, but, it wasn't always. Tell me what is the technical marvel with Small World. None! A bunch of semi- moving dolls, allegedly singing a catchy tune while you rode around in a boat. Big damn whoop! However, it was one that was a must see so it was an "E". It isn't anymore, yet it still has the same quality that gave it that rating before. Why isn't it still an "E"?

Like now, letter rating may have existed, but, there was never a hard manual stating how to rate them, it was based somewhat on what they thought would happen and changed whenever the public reacted a different way by either unexpectedly deciding that it was good, or in many cases the other way around as well.

So, if you don't think that wasn't about making more money, then I have a ocean front plot of land in Arizona that I would like to sell. The same thing applies today, however, there is no additional revenue feed by calling anything an "E" anymore, they just still do because they expect it to do well. If it doesn't they will never mention it again. But, continue to believe that it means anything other then expected popularity if you want, but, there is nothing about it that is important anymore.

Take the 7DMT for example. That was promoted as an "E". They promoted the hell out of that thing. It was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. I believe that they still consider it an "E", however, all our ride quality experts say it is a C or D at best. So, what are they basing it on that the original creators aren't using? All those words to say this, call it what you want, place any random letter you can think of on it, it is still going to be only as good as the majority of guests think it is. They are making that call, not the head office or a few people on a discussion board.

Much to the pleasure of many, I am done with this topic. The horse is dead.
Actually there were typically MORE 'E' tickets than anything else, so not sure that it was really all about making extra money. Was likely that it's main purpose was to distribute crowds (ie, limit re-rides on the big attractions, make sure people were also encouraged to visit the lesser known ones, etc....)
wdw1973_tickets.gif

publicblast

Late trip report from yesterday: we never went to Frozen. 90-120 min wait reported at rope drop, and I saw a three hour standby wait when we walked by in the late afternoon. Lots of little girls in Elsa dresses all over the park looking, well, kinda stressed out. Not sure if that was from not getting to ride, or waiting so long. :(

Daughter and I rode TT 3 times (without FP+) and Soarin twice, so I definitely felt like other ride lines were positively impacted by the crowd at Norway.

Maybe off topic: when did Disney disable the big displays in Future World that listed wait times? Did they just do it recently so people wouldn't see the crazy Frozen wait times?

Goofyernmost

Actually there were typically MORE 'E' tickets than anything else, so not sure that it was really all about making extra money. Was likely that it's main purpose was to distribute crowds (ie, limit re-rides on the big attractions, make sure people were also encouraged to visit the lesser known ones, etc....)
wdw1973_tickets.gif
Unless math is different now then it was in 73 what I see with the two examples are 3 E's and 5 others and 4 E's and 8 others. That sounds like few to me since it would be assumed that the E's are the main draw and if you wanted to see more of them you had to buy another book even if you never used the A's through D's.

DisUniversal

Unless math is different now then it was in 73 what I see with the two examples are 3 E's and 5 others and 4 E's and 8 others. That sounds like few to me since it would be assumed that the E's are the main draw and if you wanted to see more of them you had to buy another book even if you never used the A's through D's.
Unless English is different now, "There were fewer E's then anything else" does not mean that there were fewer E's than everything else combined.

matt9112

Late trip report from yesterday: we never went to Frozen. 90-120 min wait reported at rope drop, and I saw a three hour standby wait when we walked by in the late afternoon. Lots of little girls in Elsa dresses all over the park looking, well, kinda stressed out. Not sure if that was from not getting to ride, or waiting so long. :(

Daughter and I rode TT 3 times (without FP+) and Soarin twice, so I definitely felt like other ride lines were positively impacted by the crowd at Norway.

Maybe off topic: when did Disney disable the big displays in Future World that listed wait times? Did they just do it recently so people wouldn't see the crazy Frozen wait times?

i think that board has been off for a while? but i could be wrong.

Goofyernmost

Unless English if different now, "There were fewer E's then anything else" does not mean that there were fewer E's than everything else combined.
Please let this end... I thought I made it clear that I was referring to the numbers total. One wasn't likely to quickly run out of all of them, what they were going to run out of first were the E's and if they wanted to see more E's they had to buy another book even if they hadn't entered a single A though D.

aladdin2007

maybe it was the scorching heat, people have to be nuts to wait in three hour lines in the sun, I think its horrible they make their kids do it.

DisUniversal

Please let this end... I thought I made it clear that I was referring to the numbers total. One wasn't likely to quickly run out of all of them, what they were going to run out of first were the E's and if they wanted to see more E's they had to buy another book even if they hadn't entered a single A though D.
Oddly enough, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Mad Tea Party, Grand Prix and probably one or two others were 'C' tickets, while I only see Jungle Cruise, Tiki Birds (?!?), Haunted Mansion ,Small World and 20,000 Leagues as the 'E' tickets back then. Seems like you'd run out of 'C' tickets very quickly. Does anyone remember, could you use a higher ticket for a lower attraction? Like could I have used a 'D' ticket for a 'C' attraction?

WDWBryan

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...s-theme-park-lines-frozen-20160624-story.html

Aaron Wallace waited in line for six hours this week for a 5-minute ride, the brand-new Frozen Ever After at Epcot. It was worth it, he said.
"Honestly, it flew by," Wallace said.

"I arrived at the park with no real commitment to spending six hours in line," said Wallace, who lives in Orlando and is a Walt Disney World annual passholder. "But we showed up and the weather was fairly pleasant early on and we made some fast friends in line."

"It was a pretty even mix of bloggers and tourists, but the prevailing sentiment was one of fandom and genuine excitement," Wallace said. "That's part of what makes these kind of debut-day activities such fun."

aladdin2007

after watching one of the vids again, when your going backwards and you hit what use to be the opening in the rocks, what is that now just a blank black wall?

Jones14

I think the argument should not be about the ticket designation, but rather if FEA will be seen and advertised as a headliner attraction for EPCOT. The merits of whether this ride should be a headliner or not is what should be argued.
The marketing seems to be focused on Soarin'. The buses, park maps, and cast members have been pushing it as the must see attraction at Epcot right now.

Mike S

Thank You.
Back then, we didn't know.
Didn't know what was planned vs what ultimately made it to production, didn't know about budgets, we got what we got, and we loved it.
Now, everyone's an expert.
Everyone knows what goes on behind the scenes, and everyone thinks that if they were in charge, they'd do a better job.
Nauseating.
Yes not everyone here is an expert but there are a few people here who would definitely qualify. They have proven time and again that their info about the inner workings of the company are very accurate so if they say there are different problems now compared to the past some of us will tend to believe them.

seabreezept813

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...s-theme-park-lines-frozen-20160624-story.html

Aaron Wallace waited in line for six hours this week for a 5-minute ride, the brand-new Frozen Ever After at Epcot. It was worth it, he said.
"Honestly, it flew by," Wallace said.

"I arrived at the park with no real commitment to spending six hours in line," said Wallace, who lives in Orlando and is a Walt Disney World annual passholder. "But we showed up and the weather was fairly pleasant early on and we made some fast friends in line."

"It was a pretty even mix of bloggers and tourists, but the prevailing sentiment was one of fandom and genuine excitement," Wallace said. "That's part of what makes these kind of debut-day activities such fun."

The beginning of this really reads like an Onion article..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom