Frozen Ever After opening day

Princess Leia

I was about to make a snarky comment about how much of an idiot a person would have to be to wait 300 minutes for any attraction, but then it occurred to me: how long would I be willing to wait in line for a new Mary Poppins ride with a Lin-Manuel Miranda singing AA? Heck, I'd get in line now!
Who knows, it might be easier to see Hamilton than see a Mary Poppins attraction in 2-3 years time.

Bocabear

Who knows, it might be easier to see Hamilton than see a Mary Poppins attraction in 2-3 years time.
OMG 2-3 years? that would never happen...it takes three years to design a Churro Cart at TDO...3 years for an overlay of an existing ride...something from the ground up could never happen that fast...especially if they have not already begun milking the promotion for it 3 years out...

Princess Leia

OMG 2-3 years? that would never happen...it takes three years to design a Churro Cart at TDO...3 years for an overlay of an existing ride...something from the ground up could never happen that fast...especially if they have not already begun milking the promotion for it 3 years out...
Lol, that's true. But, with LMM's departure from Hamilton, all he seems to talk about now is Mary Poppins (since that's the reason he's leaving the show). I don't know if Emily Blunt has really talked about it yet, but by the time The Girl on the Train comes out this fall, they should be a month or two into Mary Poppins production, and that's more free publicity if it comes up in any interviews. Then Moana comes out in November, and since LMM wrote some of the music, he might also be a part of the interview circuit (if he has time), but definitely the red carpet.
Honestly, even with all of the Hamilton shows opening nationally, I can see Mary Poppins being brought up. If LMM makes it to Chicago, San Francisco, or LA to watch the show (or be in one, he hasn't ruled it out), he can talk about MP. Or when they cast Michael, Jane, and Michael's three kids, or anyone else, for that matter.

Jones14

Frozen Ever After took a year and eight months to build. Just saying.

RoysCabin

Interesting to hear that the meet and greet only takes up a part of the expansion pad, hopefully keeping things flexible for the future.

Only seen videos of the ride so far, and while I fully acknowledge my bias for Maelstrom and Spirit of Norway, and also acknowledge that Frozen is clearly not aimed at me, it did kind of bring me down to see...not a "book report ride", since they alter a few lyrics and whatnot here and there, but essentially a "musical greatest hits" ride, I guess? Gran Fiesta Tour isn't my absolute favorite, but I do at least appreciate that the IP overlay on that one still kept the ride primarily as a travelogue of Mexico; here, it really did come off much more as "we're just going to play the songs your kids really like."

Hopefully it's more impressive in person (not always easy to get a great feel for things like the AAs or what have you on video), but yeah, kind of brought me down that there's really nothing Norwegian there anymore.

Well, that, and the unload area of Maelstrom was one of my favorite areas in any of the parks.

Jones14

yeah doesn't really further the point though....and I think it was actually longer then that from announcement to completion...
Maelstrom closed in October of 2014. Frozen opened in June of this year. The announcement of the attraction is irrelevant to the construction timeline. It took one year and eight months to build. But, even if it were relevant, from announcement to opening was roughly one year and nine months. That doesn't further your point because part of your point was the assertion that overlays take three years to complete.

Bocabear

Maelstrom closed in October of 2014. Frozen opened in June of this year. The announcement of the attraction is irrelevant to the construction timeline. It took one year and eight months to build. That doesn't further your point because part of your point was the assertion that overlays take three years to complete.
oik. you are right Disney builds attractions lightening fast. lol...

Bocabear

i was exagerrating to make a point that a ground up attraction, new building, new area, new ride system would probably be impossible in 2-3 years...especially when there have been no announcemtents etc. Sorry for not being precisely literal...

Princess Leia

Okay, so the 3 year thing isn't completely wrong. While it didn't take 3 years to build, it did take 3 years for Disney to give Frozen an attraction that wasn't a Meet and Greet or hastily put together sing along.

Pocahontas and Hunchback both had stage shows at MGM when their movies arrived in theaters. Hunchback literally started performing on the same day that the film came out.

Jones14

i was exagerrating to make a point that a ground up attraction, new building, new area, new ride system would probably be impossible in 2-3 years...especially when there have been no announcemtents etc. Sorry for not being precisely literal...
And that would be an ill-informed assumption considering that most Disney attractions have taken between 2-3 years to construct.

Edit: @Mike S beat me to it with an example.

Bocabear

And that would be an ill-informed assumption considering that most Disney attractions have taken between 2-3 years to construct.

Edit: @Mike S beat me to it with an example.
I am not here to have an argument with you. Move on please... Do you honestly think that they will build a Mary Poppins attraction based on a film they have not made yet, and have it up and running in 2 to three years from now?...Of course not.
So....anyway.

Jones14

I am not here to have an argument with you. Move on please... Do you honestly think that they will build a Mary Poppins attraction based on a film they have not made yet, and have it up and running in 2 to three years from now?...Of course not.
So....anyway.
No, I don't, but it's not, as you said, impossible, they simply don't want a Mary Poppins attraction. They're more than capable of building attractions from the ground up within three years of beginning construction.

Goofyernmost

You're quoting someone who just said they had no problem with Frozen in Norway. That should have been the first red flag right there. So tragic to see how people are content with mediocrity today. Sad times indeed.
I'm not saying that your observations of personalities are wrong, but, really if you think that Frozen is a step down from Maelstrom you have a serious problem with memory. They are having problems right now because technologically it is so much more complex then Maelstrom ever thought of being. Mediocrity, indeed! You look in the dictionary under the word mediocrity and there will be a picture of Maelstrom. If your only argument is with the fact that you don't like Frozen there, then you might have a point, not with me, but, with others and it also has nothing to do with quality, it has to do with perceived armchair imagineering and interpretation of what you think things should be like. It's done, it will not change back, how about appreciating the effort that has been put into it instead of constantly falsely attempting to undermine it.

RoysCabin

I'm not saying that your observations of personalities are wrong, but, really if you think that Frozen is a step down from Maelstrom you have a serious problem with memory. They are having problems right now because technologically it is so much more complex then Maelstrom ever thought of being. Mediocrity, indeed! You look in the dictionary under the word mediocrity and there will be a picture of Maelstrom. If your only argument is with the fact that you don't like Frozen there, then you might have a point, not with me, but, with others and it also has nothing to do with quality, it has to do with perceived armchair imagineering and interpretation of what you think things should be like. It's done, it will not change back, how about appreciating the effort that has been put into it instead of constantly falsely attempting to undermine it.

Well, one certainly doesn't need to "appreciate" it if one finds a lot of problems with the entire concept (this does not mean that one has to completely down talk it or, more importantly, talk down people who like it), especially those of us who felt there was more to the Maelstrom/Spirit of Norway experience.

Beyond the problems I have concerning the overall theming of World Showcase being disrupted (along with the various issues others have been posting here concerning lack of cover and other logistical matters), I find the actual style of ride they put together pretty unimpressive. I've heard some say it would be a solid Fantasyland ride, and I'm not saying it would be bad or that it is bad, currently, but most of the classic Fantasyland dark rides based on IPs have focused on certain experiences tied into the films, not the plot content of the films themselves. The original Snow White ride focused on the scarier aspects of the film, Peter Pan focuses on the parts of the film that most highlight flying, Mr. Toad the madcap "mania" aspects, etc. This was by and large a byproduct of these rides being developed before the home video market, but it made sense, and falling back on "let's just tell the story of the movie" or "let's just play the songs from the movie in ride form" hurts re-rideability, as best I can tell, because would-be riders can simply go home and watch the film there to get a similar experience.

I know thinking these things won't change the ride back into a form I'd find more interesting, but, well, we're fans, and this is what we tend to do a lot.

Goofyernmost

Well, one certainly doesn't need to "appreciate" it if one finds a lot of problems with the entire concept (this does not mean that one has to completely down talk it or, more importantly, talk down people who like it), especially those of us who felt there was more to the Maelstrom/Spirit of Norway experience.

Beyond the problems I have concerning the overall theming of World Showcase being disrupted (along with the various issues others have been posting here concerning lack of cover and other logistical matters), I find the actual style of ride they put together pretty unimpressive. I've heard some say it would be a solid Fantasyland ride, and I'm not saying it would be bad or that it is bad, currently, but most of the classic Fantasyland dark rides based on IPs have focused on certain experiences tied into the films, not the plot content of the films themselves. The original Snow White ride focused on the scarier aspects of the film, Peter Pan focuses on the parts of the film that most highlight flying, Mr. Toad the madcap "mania" aspects, etc. This was by and large a byproduct of these rides being developed before the home video market, but it made sense, and falling back on "let's just tell the story of the movie" or "let's just play the songs from the movie in ride form" hurts re-rideability, as best I can tell, because would-be riders can simply go home and watch the film there to get a similar experience.

I know thinking these things won't change the ride back into a form I'd find more interesting, but, well, we're fans, and this is what we tend to do a lot.
I'm a fan too and have been for years and years. That doesn't mean that as a fan I cannot accept that things, philosophy's and missions change. To continue to insist that things remain the same isn't fan response it is denial of reality, in my mind. It is pretty unimpressive to you, but, not to me. I like to think I am grounded in the sense that I see things as they are and not always how I would like to see it. I have no control of what others do, so, I either have to reject it totally by not supporting it any longer or trying to accept how and what it is and trying to get enjoyment out of what is there and not upset about what isn't. But, to each his own, it's just that the statement of how great something was, when it wasn't all that great to begin with and got little or no attention until it was gone, then I just have a problem with that concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom