Frontierland Expansion Rumor

kaos

frontierlandexpansion_plots.png

Liberty Belle drydock service area- I really doubt that the $$$ involved to move the track, repurpose an entire steam workshop, and then dredge a whole new canal for the Liberty Belle would spent. That's about the cost of adding a monorail beamway to DTD (which, at $3m a mile, would be about $36m). I doubt that TDC would do something like that just to plus an area. The other services in that area can definitely be moved as they are, from what I remember, "temporary" structures; but the steam workshop for the riverboat isn't a temp building, and that Liberty Belle requires a wide berth for clearance to me, is prohibitive in repurposing that area. And for what? another meet and greet? It also takes the park outside the "berm" in that area, and I know that the original charter for MK was, in Walt's words, "to be surrounded by a train".

However, a nice E-Ticket would be nice, and I wouldn't complain ( I don't own enough stock to even have my complaint heard.. hahahaha)

I do see a riverwalk being added to access the "yellow" area that could work nicely... Maybe a "New England" type themed area, incorporating ideas from Disney's America? There is a true "Hudson River Area" feel their, especially with the HM being at the entrance to what could be a Jersey Boardwalk area... and it's "geographically" correct in relationship to the Frontier to the west, and the Carribean to the south...

jt04

Liberty Belle drydock service area- I really doubt that the $$$ involved to move the track, repurpose an entire steam workshop, and then dredge a whole new canal for the Liberty Belle would spent. That's about the cost of adding a monorail beamway to DTD (which, at $3m a mile, would be about $36m). I doubt that TDC would do something like that just to plus an area. The other services in that area can definitely be moved as they are, from what I remember, "temporary" structures; but the steam workshop for the riverboat isn't a temp building, and that Liberty Belle requires a wide berth for clearance to me, is prohibitive in repurposing that area. And for what? another meet and greet? It also takes the park outside the "berm" in that area, and I know that the original charter for MK was, in Walt's words, "to be surrounded by a train".

However, a nice E-Ticket would be nice, and I wouldn't complain ( I don't own enough stock to even have my complaint heard.. hahahaha)

I do see a riverwalk being added to access the "yellow" area that could work nicely... Maybe a "New England" type themed area, incorporating ideas from Disney's America? There is a true "Hudson River Area" feel their, especially with the HM being at the entrance to what could be a Jersey Boardwalk area... and it's "geographically" correct in relationship to the Frontier to the west, and the Carribean to the south...

Very interesting. I share your thoughts on the riverwalk/New England area.

What I was wondering about is that area north of the blue outline and outside the tracks. I was envisioning a mini-land with a new train station that plays a crucial part in the theming. Possibly even being the only way to access this new land. Perhaps than Walt would forgive building outside the rail if a steam train was integral to the backstory. The possibilities are nearly limitless. :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Hmmm...yeah. Funny how that other thread vanished....

At this point, nobody on this or any board can say what is coming, if anything at all, because nobody who is in the loop is talking. Belive me, I've been leaning on some sources, but not one is willing to give me any specifics. Nothing is greenlit quite yet, though the area is being looked at.
Patience.

The other thread got loaded with spam, nothing to do with it's content.

I've got nothing on anything happening in Frontierland yet. As far as I know it's just random internet rumor and isn't coming from anywhere credible.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just something else to note, Frontierland has been seriously looked at for expansion over at least the last 15 years. I wouldn't hold your breath. At the moment everything is 100% Fantasyland.

kaos

Very interesting. I share your thoughts on the riverwalk/New England area.

What I was wondering about is that area north of the blue outline and outside the tracks. I was envisioning a mini-land with a new train station that plays a crucial part in the theming. Possibly even being the only way to access this new land. Perhaps than Walt would forgive building outside the rail if a steam train was integral to the backstory. The possibilities are nearly limitless. :)

Is it Camp Minnie/Mickey or Conservation Station that is only accessable by train? Either way, it is very under-visitied. It reminds me of Mickey's Birthdayland- Where the train was the "only" way to get there... When there is only one way in/out, it gets congested on the walkways... Think Maelstrom during peak hours- If you do a full area like that, an egress on both sides is almost a must if you have a D or E ticket... Just my opinion, however un-humble :lol:

Duckberg

To me Frontierland has always been a Boomer thing. Being a Boomer myself I'm a little surprised they would want to expand. Unless they want to redefine the word "frontier" from Walt's original 1950's creation @ DL :veryconfu Duckberg :D

Captain Chaos

Is it Camp Minnie/Mickey or Conservation Station that is only accessable by train? Either way, it is very under-visitied. It reminds me of Mickey's Birthdayland- Where the train was the "only" way to get there... When there is only one way in/out, it gets congested on the walkways... Think Maelstrom during peak hours- If you do a full area like that, an egress on both sides is almost a must if you have a D or E ticket... Just my opinion, however un-humble :lol:

Conservation Station... And if a train is the only way to access an area, it will be crowded, I agree... I don't like that idea at all..

bstiles

I've been doing some brainstorming over what type of ride they could put over there. One that came to mind could be a ride type like kali river.

The other thing they could do is make it an offshoot land like they are doing over in HKDL and can easily see a toystory playland going in over there, so I guess it really isn't an expansion of Ftland but rather an offshoot land.

jt04

I was considering that. They could make it so the train brings you in and then you are "encouraged" to walk back to Frontierland. However it would also be possible to walk-in for those more familiar with the layout. Mostly repeat visitors. My vision is a steam punk land. The backstory, theming, ride types and number of rides would be unimportant as long as it was all western/victorian age steam punk.

SeaCastle

I'm confused as to why development in Frontierland would be under more serious consideration as opposed to Adventureland and Tomorrowland- lands that need the most work aesthetically. Frontierland already has two E-tickets and aside from Splash Mountain has a cohesive theme. Adventureland and Tomorrowland each have one E-ticket and are showing their age thematically.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973

The easiest expansion in FrL seems to be the blue area, immediately west of
BTMRR. The area could support a huge show building. The only thing of consequence in the area is BTMRR train storage and that could be incorporated (built around) into the new structure. I'd hate to see the rear end of TSI developed into anything. It's so peaceful back there as it is, although adding a few riverside show scenes would be great. The area behind HM could also support a huge show building but would rather see the area in yellow (right up to Small World) turned into a real Toon Town connected to a new Storybookland to the east, all behind the current FLE. Connections could be made over a relatively small addition to the utilidoors from the area directly east and behind the Village Haus and through a tunnel on the other end under the MK access road.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I realize that some will consider this heresy but....

Just get rid of the riverboat and ROA. It takes up too much space for so few people. Most major cities located on a river have a riverboat nowadays; it's just not that unique anymore. The space could be so easily re-purposed for several new attractions that could absorb a lot more people than the Riverboat ever thought about.

TSI would longer be an island, but the concept could stay tucked away in a corner somewhere. :shrug:

kaos

I see the merit in this heretical speak, but then it wouldn't be a DISNEY theme park. Walt wanted a riverboat so bad that he mortgaged his own house for the Mark Twain. I'll need a CM to help me on this, but I'm pretty sure the hourly throughput of the Liberty Belle is 900+, and it's often at capacity. Compare that with Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, heck, even HM and Peter Pan, and it does warrant that space. But in my meaningless opinion, I think it's BECAUSE of the tranquil river setting that it carries that kind of hourly throughput. Originally, the ROA supported 4 attractions (Davey Crockett Explorer Canoes, Mike Fink Keelboats, TSI & LB). ROA in DL also has Fantasmic, so there's a major case to be made for it to be kept in DL; however, adding to the fire, I can go both ways (that's what she said.. haha) when it comes to ROA. I see the legacy of Walt in the Liberty Belle, but there is something to be said for increasing the appeal of the back end of the park. Maybe Disney's America full concept in that area (although, DA did boast a river with a steamship...) Maybe "Soarin over the USA", the addition of "Western River Expedition" and Thunder Mesa, the LB could always be turned into a docked restaurant, or better yet, a Character Meet and Greet! I guess I truly haven't formulated my whole-hearted opinion on this area yet... I promise I will soon though.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I see the merit in this heretical speak, but then it wouldn't be a DISNEY theme park. Walt wanted a riverboat so bad that he mortgaged his own house for the Mark Twain. I'll need a CM to help me on this, but I'm pretty sure the hourly throughput of the Liberty Belle is 900+, and it's often at capacity. Compare that with Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, heck, even HM and Peter Pan, and it does warrant that space. But in my meaningless opinion, I think it's BECAUSE of the tranquil river setting that it carries that kind of hourly throughput. Originally, the ROA supported 4 attractions (Davey Crockett Explorer Canoes, Mike Fink Keelboats, TSI & LB). ROA in DL also has Fantasmic, so there's a major case to be made for it to be kept in DL; however, adding to the fire, I can go both ways (that's what she said.. haha) when it comes to ROA. I see the legacy of Walt in the Liberty Belle, but there is something to be said for increasing the appeal of the back end of the park. Maybe Disney's America full concept in that area (although, DA did boast a river with a steamship...) Maybe "Soarin over the USA", the addition of "Western River Expedition" and Thunder Mesa, the LB could always be turned into a docked restaurant, or better yet, a Character Meet and Greet! I guess I truly haven't formulated my whole-hearted opinion on this area yet... I promise I will soon though.

Point of reference - WDW Haunted Mansion : 3,200 guests per hour.
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/disney-faq/haunted-mansion/

redsox3715

im so confused by all this what is going to be added? and is this just a drain of water like dl and refreshing of tom sawyers and boat tour refresh. why no love for tommorow land.

Animaniac93-98

I'm surprised Frontierland of all things is being considered to counter the "girly" nature of the FLE expansion, if that is its purpose. What about ideas to turn the Adventureland veranda into a Pirate/Hero based character restaurant, or bringing in an English version of Tokyo's Stitch Tiki Room, or a TRON attraction should the new movie be a hit? I guess maybe this is less expensive, but would it have the same strength of appeal to a "boys" audience as FLE does to girls? Of course this questioning is based largely on the lack of information that comes with the rumor.

I'm not too familiar with Hong Kong's expansion, but I like the idea of improving the Rivers of America (like Disneyland did this year) or Tom Sawyer's Island with new features. Same with bringing back a saloon revue style show to the Diamond Horseshoe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom