Frontier?

Rob562

We flew Frontier for our first (and probably last) time last month on our way home from Orlando. (We'd flown down on Southwest)
We chose it because it was the only reasonably-priced flight home that wasn't a morning flight that killed our final day. And even with paying for a checked bag and the extra legroom seats it was still cheaper than the other options.

That being said... The seats were very uncomfortable. Enough legroom yes (even then, the "extra legroom" seats were about the same as the standard legroom on Jetblue), but the seats were WAY too hard. (If it were a commuter flight under an hour, fine. A 2:45 flight? Nope) Bring a cushion or something to sit on.

We at least had full-size tray tables because of the extra legroom row. My bf didn't like that *nothing* was included in beverage service. He bought a vodka but a mixer wasn't included in the price, he had to pay more.

We weren't at an on-site hotel to use resort luggage check-in, so we had to check our bags at the airport. Check-in at MCO was a nightmare. The line was extremely long, overflowed the established queue, went down the hallway and curved in toward the main lobby area. We got in line almost 2 hours before our flight. At some point we realized the 7 or 8 people who'd been working the counter had suddenly dwindled to 4 or 5. No idea where they went. After 45 minutes we were one back-and-forth from the front of the line when they called for people on our flight to step out of line and come to the position on the end. Luckily we had TSA Precheck and were right through security because we only had time to buy a snack and bottle of water before our flight started boarding.

So final takeaway is that Frontier is now classified as "emergency use only" with us. And likely only if it's somewhere we can get to non-stop. I'll stick with Jetblue and Southwest wherever possible.

-Rob

daisyduckie

Thank you for the honest review. Frontier has recently become an option for me, but it doesn't sound like one I would use.

amycarl75

Thank you for the honest review. Frontier has recently become an option for me, but it doesn't sound like one I would use.
I have a large family of two adults and six children and we fly out of the Boston area into Orlando I keep my eyes peeled on the Frontier sales because they recently started flying out of Providence. Now you don’t get any free snacks not even drinks you do need to pay a small extra fee to sit where you what are usually do is I put one kid in the middle next to one of my older children and we sort of do two per row down the line I keep my eyes out for the sales because I can fly my family of eight round-trip from Providence Orlando for approximately $600 round-trip. We go dirt cheap with airfare so that I’m able to book a nice hotel we bring small bags the type that you store on to your seat my cousin laughingly calls me Mary Poppins because of the amazing amount of things we can fit in the bag. So I don’t mind flying with Frontier are used to fly with JetBlue but I would rather save Thousand dollars and put it towards the rest of my trip.

RichC

We recently flew Frontier down and back from Philadelphia -a roughly 2 hour flight. It’s a bare bones airline for sure: everything is an upcharge, no free snack or beverage, no magazine, cheap and rigid seats, barely adequate service at the airport, etc. However, it was a cheap option that worked out fine. I am 6’ 4” and have come to give up on ever being comfortable on a plane. Rarely do I even bother paying for leg room seats, though I do love them. On Frontier, none of the seats recline, so I actually found it a more comfortable experience than riding in another average coach seat.

If you’re flying two hours or less and find Frontier a significantly cheaper option, go ahead and book. It will get you there. And think of it this way: going down, you have so much to look forward to, a slightly uncomfortable flight won’t get you down; coming back, even the cushiest legroom seat won’t keep you from feeling blue.

BoarderPhreak

Worst. Airline. Ever. (from a customer POV)

Cheap fares lure you in, but be prepared to pay for almost everything else - including a seat.

slappy magoo

My mom's used them a few times going out of Trenton and into North Carolina (not MCO). She says they're fine, but disclaimer - my mom is awesome, she's hard-pressed to say anything negative about anyone or anything outside of politicians, she was born during the tail end of the Depression and her formative years were spent during WWII followed by Duck and Cover air raid drills, so if a sub-2-hour airplane ride that one of her daughters is paying for isn't ideal, she's probably not going to say Boo about it.

HollyAD

I have flown Frontier one time. I did Philly to Orlando so it was only two hours. I did not have a bad experience but I also didn't expect much from a bare-bones airline like this one. I only paid $20 a ticket (as a Discount Den Member) and my son and I shared a bag that we checked. Seats are uncomfortable so I can't imagine flying in one for more than 2 hours. I am also skeptical of this airline because from some airports they have one or two flights a day. What happens when the flight gets canceled? It's not going to be easy to accomodate you to ensure you get to your destination. I am faithful to Southwest. You can't beat the flexibility and the value in not paying added fees.

macefamily

Frontier has recently been our airline of choice. The worst part of us using Frontier is that the airline no longer flies out of Wilkes Barre, Allentown, or Harrisburg. I like the smaller airports. Now we have a 2 hour drive to fly out of Philly. Frontier charges you for everything. But they do have booze (JD or Smirnoff) for the flight down which is usually an evening flight for us.

slappy magoo

Hey all, kind of a jerk question but would anyone here a: be a part of Frontier's "Discount Den" and b: mind pricing a trip?

Reason I ask, for the dates we're going and the airport we'd use, prices are only available for Discount Den members. I'd want to include either The Perks or the Works option to tickets, but I can't price those out to the total cost of the tickets without first being a Discount Den member. If anyone is willing to assist, please PM me, thanks in advance.

macefamily

We flew Allegiant Air a few times out of the local PA airports. Did anyone see the 60 Minutes piece on Allegiant last night ? I will NEVER book another Allengiant flight....unless it's less than $20 each way. I'll take my chances then.

HollyAD

We flew Allegiant Air a few times out of the local PA airports. Did anyone see the 60 Minutes piece on Allegiant last night ? I will NEVER book another Allengiant flight....unless it's less than $20 each way. I'll take my chances then.
I did not see it but I will look it up! I have done Allegiant and it was fine. They were flying from our small local airport so it was appealing to get a non-stop flight to Sanford. They left our airport due to lack of customers in my area.

rwdavis2

With these super cheap airlines look at the schedules. Fewer flights per day and maybe not flights every day. So if a flight is cancelled you may not get another one for several days.

BoarderPhreak

Just completed my 24 hour check-in for tomorrow (yaaaay!) and all I can say is, "ugh." No less than 4-5 pages of Frontier trying to upsell literally everything from seats to bags to rental cars and more. I could've been done in ONE CLICK but noooo... 🤬

BoarderPhreak

...and made it back home. Flight was on time, no issues there. Same 4-5 pages of upsell to check-in again. Suitcase was 13 pounds (!) overweight; goodbye $75. 🤬

The plane was filthy - broken Doritos on the floor, nasty remnants on the seat tray (which are ridiculously small; you can't even fit a tablet on one!)... Seats don't even recline.

I'll say it again - Frontier sucks. But you can't beat the airfare - or the particular convenience of the airport I flew in/out of. So there's that.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
With these super cheap airlines look at the schedules. Fewer flights per day and maybe not flights every day. So if a flight is cancelled you may not get another one for several days.

Okay, but you get what you pay for. One of the biggest reasons these airlines are able to offer such low fares is because they have set, routine flight schedules like you'd expect from a greyhound bus. They fly from city A to city B at 11 am on Tuesdays and Fridays. That allows them to service a large number of cities at an affordable scale. Similar to cargo shipment planes.

Think about the price difference of an American Airlines ticket against a Frontier or Spirit ticket. That $400 difference is not *just* because they don't offer you in flight beverages...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom