From the Rumor Mill for Conversation

WDW1974

I saw the documentation that backed up my previous post. If you saw something that says different then I stand corrected.

I'd love to see said docs.

I will say it sure did seem that the deluxe resorts were much slower than the mods/values and from talking with folks it did sound like everyone was staying at either a mod or a value on the 4/3 deal.

EPCOT Explorer

Here are a couple of rumors worth discussing here at WDWMagic forums:

- Attendance for the month of February has been beyond expectations. During the past week, the Magic Kingdom received extended hours beyond the posted hours due to heavy guest volume. Second performances of SpectroMagic were performed, even on days in which the parade was not scheduled to be shown at all. And before you say, "well, this is because it was President's Day week," please remember that the calendar planners knew this going in and park management chose to extend the hours due to an unforseen increase in the moving of turnstiles.

- A close friend of mine in WDW Entertainment says that something related to the film Enchanted is in the works. My own speculation is that the popularity of the film has been noticed via DVD sales and that we may be looking at an Enchanted parade on Streets of America or a permanent show in the Backlot Theater. According to my friend, casting may begin as early as late summer for whatever this new entertainment venue may be. She believes it to be more than just a Meet and Greet due to several of the characters being listed rather than just Giselle.

- Speaking with the head of curriculum for the Disney Y.E.S. Program, it appears that the Y.E.S. Program will be changing several of the programs offered for next year. The goal is to reduce the total number of programs while diversifying the programs so that they are applicable to a greater number of group needs. Examples she gave were programs more easily adapted to faith-based groups and language class groups... while cutting or combining some of the science programs.

- WDW Insider

Fantastic! That movie is attraction quality!:D

WDWFigment

Domestic: $127,807,262 37.5% + Foreign: $212,680,390 62.5% = Worldwide: $340,487,652

^ from Box Office Mojo

+ a 93% approval rating on RT, 3 Oscar noms and strong DVD/Blu-ray sales. I think it's a hit.

Glad to see something might be done. DLRP had a fireworks sow themed to this movie (wasn't much but it was something), but this could be good too, especially since it might make good use of the not so much used Backlot theater now.

While the film had strong numbers at the box office (and reviews), I agree that it just doesn't seem like it has staying power. I think part of this is because it's partly live action and is aimed at a bit of an older audience than a typical Disney/Pixar animated release.

You don't have as many kids really "into" it because it's not one of their generation's favorites (Incredibles, Cars).

You don't have as many of the older generations "into" it because they didn't grow up on it. As much as I may like it (and this goes for all of the newer movies), no matter how good they are, my standbys remain the franchises I grew up on (Little Mermaid - Aladdin).

I know the B.O. numbers contradict me on this, but it seems like it's a niche movie. :shrug: I could be entirely wrong, that's just how I perceive it.

Animaniac93-98

I know the B.O. numbers contradict me on this, but it seems like it's a niche movie. :shrug: I could be entirely wrong, that's just how I perceive it.

But hears the thing, the poster of the rumour indicated strong DVD sales begin noticed. Since the film came out on DVD in March of 2008 the fact that the film is still selling well is a sign of it begin accepted and remembered by the public (at least more than say, Home on the Range). I know lots of people who like it and I'm sure they'd take interest in something Enchanted related. It may not be the traditional build-a-show-when-the-movies-out move but I doubt the idea that it wouldn't be popular. It's got a princess in it right?

As for the fireworks show, you can see it on yotube, and unfortunately like most DLRP pyro productions, it isn't much. Just booms set to the "Enchated Suite" track on the soundtrack.

Duckberg

weekdays SLOW weekends PACKED

Co worker just returned from week @ WDW
confirming what other have said on crowds.
BUT, I don't know whether this balances out,
plus LACK:mad: of retail park sales.

The DVD had strong sales & putting together
character development in park sounds like a
GOOD :sohappy: idea!

Duckberg :wave:

elisatonks

A close friend of mine in WDW Entertainment says that something related to the film Enchanted is in the works. My own speculation is that the popularity of the film has been noticed via DVD sales and that we may be looking at an Enchanted parade on Streets of America or a permanent show in the Backlot Theater. According to my friend, casting may begin as early as late summer for whatever this new entertainment venue may be. She believes it to be more than just a Meet and Greet due to several of the characters being listed rather than just Giselle.

I think this is a great idea and is showing that disney is trying to incoroprate something that isn't PIXAR or HSM into the parks, which is something we haven't seen in a while.

I to have also been in the parks this week and they have been alot busier than normal. It seems that people are not willing to give up there vacation, but are cutting back on what they spend when they are at WDW. (After all vacations are the only thing that give us a chance to forget about day to day life and are a welcome rest from the current economic climate.) I was in the Magic Kingdom yesterday and had to line up for Mickey's Philimagoic for 20mins, an attraction that between oct 07 and Apr 08 when i was on college program i walked on every time i was in MK and this included Easter Saturday. However when stepping through the main street emporium it was like walking into a graveyard, there seemed to be only about 30 guests in there and usually itss so cramed you can't move. I was also in the studios on wednesday and was there for opening and headed straight to Toy Story Mania, when i got in line the wait was 25 min, by the time i had got off the ride it had increased to 90 min and that was within an hour of park opening. The first fantamic was packed and as exiting the show the line for the 8.15 was lined all the way down sunset blvd and heading towards the hat, a sight that is only usually seen at christmas and during the summer.

If president's week is anything to go by, people are still coming just not spending money on merch, and it gonna be a manic easter and summer crowd wise.

StitchRokcs

I still have yet to see the movie but apparently it must have been good to get its own attraction at the parks. As for the record crowds lol im not sure.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
There were definitely lots of people in the parks this week, but, retail sales did appear to be way down. LOTS of sales in the stores:

20% off "novelty hats"
15% off baseball hats
35% off toys
30% off Disney channel merchandise

and others I'm not remembering. It was the first time in probably forever that I've seen a sale in a Disney parks merchandise store.

mcjaco

- Attendance for the month of February has been beyond expectations. During the past week, the Magic Kingdom received extended hours beyond the posted hours due to heavy guest volume. Second performances of SpectroMagic were performed, even on days in which the parade was not scheduled to be shown at all. And before you say, "well, this is because it was President's Day week," please remember that the calendar planners knew this going in and park management chose to extend the hours due to an unforseen increase in the moving of turnstiles.

While I was there (2/7 to 2/15), I can tell you crowds were much heavier than I anticipated. They weren't bad (40 - 60 minutes for most E tickets), but it was not what I was expecting to see.

lbrad

I'm surprised about the Enchanted plans. I love the movie but I didn't think it was THAT big of a hit.

As for park attendance, a close person who has a pretty big job in resorts stated that the moderates are booked solid right now, overbooked...as in walking guests to other resorts, while the Yacht and Beach Club are not even at 40% occupancy and had 0 check-ins on 2/20! (that did not include the DVC units).

So I think we're going to see big crowds but from people staying on 192, I-Drive, 535, and the like but the Deluxe resorts are going to see a hit.

The Deluxe Resorts are still just too expensive:(

Kamikaze

But hears the thing, the poster of the rumour indicated strong DVD sales begin noticed. Since the film came out on DVD in March of 2008 the fact that the film is still selling well is a sign of it begin accepted and remembered by the public (at least more than say, Home on the Range). I know lots of people who like it and I'm sure they'd take interest in something Enchanted related. It may not be the traditional build-a-show-when-the-movies-out move but I doubt the idea that it wouldn't be popular. It's got a princess in it right?

As for the fireworks show, you can see it on yotube, and unfortunately like most DLRP pyro productions, it isn't much. Just booms set to the "Enchated Suite" track on the soundtrack.

Regardless of how popular it is on DVD, the reason they never did much with it originally was that they didn't want to pay for Amy Adams' likeness. I doubt this has changed with DVD sales.

Missing20K

Regardless of how popular it is on DVD, the reason they never did much with it originally was that they didn't want to pay for Amy Adams' likeness. I doubt this has changed with DVD sales.

I didn't even realize that would be an issue. I was under the impression that most movie deals included marketing and merchandising, including the likeness of actors, as long as they are portraying the character they played in the movie. Not saying the actor's aren't compensated, but I thought it was something included in movie contracts. Am I totally wrong here?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom