From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

While it is man made lake, I look at it as just as natural as any other lake in the area because I'm quite aware from the color of the water that is not a filtered crystal clear pool... I would never have gotten near the waters edge and certainly wouldn't have let my kids splash in the water at night. That just isn't smart in any body of water at night unless its a swimming pool with lights.
Yeah, but that's you - and that's fine.
Most guests would have no idea alligators inhabit these Disney waters.
Disney created a soft sand beach for you to stroll along. At Caribbean Beach there's a playground set right on the beach.

thomas998

Amoeba or gator? Choose one.
I have wondered.... Do more people die from gators or amoebas in a given year? I don't know if all the amoeba deaths even make the news but I know I hear of some happening every year but don't recall hearing of gator deaths every year.

JohnD

it is scary to think that there are 5 gators in the water with many more probable. I blindly think that Disney does a good job of taking care of this problem, but as with any wildlife, there is no perfect solution for removing these gators. I'm sure Disney has the best on hand, but that will sadly never be enough. God bless this family!

We don't know how far from GF they went. Were all found in SSL, or were they scattered around? Maybe one or more in Bay Lake. Or a canal.

rob0519

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm sure the rescue teams gave up hope within minutes of starting the search last night. An alligator, a two year old and a deep body of water leave almost no chance for the poor child's survival.

I was on this board last night when the news broke. As a father of three grown adults, as hard as I tried, I could not and still cannot get the image of a child in the grasp of an alligator while the father tries desperately to pull his son back.

We've stayed at the GF and the CR. Not once that I can remember did the front desk person or anyone for that matter specifically say "stay out of the lagoon or lake, there are alligators in there". The signs as I remember them say no swimming, but we have relatives in Florida (no alligators here in Chicago), so I knew to keep my family out of the water. I firmly believe that individuals are responsible for learning about the environment in which they live or vacation. I also firmly believe that if a resort, charter boat captain, knows there is some type of native animal, reptile, insect, etc. that can kill a person, it is their moral duty to inform their customers.

There is the concept of the "Disney Bubble" where nothing bad can happen to you. It's quiet, peaceful, an almost complete break from reality and easy to see how anyone can and sometimes do let their guard down. This is a horrible tragedy. One from which this family will do their best to move on, but never fully recover.

Perhaps the signs should have been more specific about not entering the lagoon at all. Perhaps there should have been some type of fencing or wall to prevent people from even attempting to walk into the lagoon. Perhaps the parents should have not let the toddler near the water. Sometime in the future legal blame will be assigned to one party or the other or both parties will be held jointly responsible to some percentage, but for today, is there really a reason for us to go on and on for almost 40 pages on who is to blame?

montyz81

We don't know how far from GF they went. Were all found in SSL, or were they scattered around? Maybe one or more in Bay Lake. Or a canal.
Assumption is in Bay Lake since they are currently mainly searching in that area.

Marco226

Ok..I'm letting words on a screen make me angry. So that means it's time to go.

I hope all of you who are blaming the parents have a strong neck to support your halo.

From someone who passionately loves Florida and it's wildlife, and has let her child be at the edge of that lagoon at night- I think you're flat out telling a lie if you say that you never go near Florida water at dawn or dusk if you live there.

But whatever, someone earlier posted that "blame is America's new past time". This thread is definitely showing that to be true.

Have a wonderful day all.

In order to fix a problem, one must first admit the problem. People are calling the parents out for a reason, because people are stupid and we need to learn from these people's mistakes so that it doesnt happen again.

Prince-1

My comment was in direct response to someone else. Not in any way blaming the parents of this incident. I don't know how much you read, but I think my position on any kind of blame game has been made pretty darn clear.

You can not blame Disney for not sending info about gators anymore than you can blame the parents for allowing their child to do the exact same thing my child has done just a few months ago.

But addressing the fact that some people may not know there are gators in Florida, so they should send warnings - that's asinine in my opinion. Most people know. I don't care what country your from.

I wasn't insinuating that you were blaming the parents but you are using your knowledge of Florida and projecting it onto people that are first time visitors to Florida who have no clue there are gators in the area. And like someone else said earlier, I would guess that many visitors would not thnk Disney would allow their lagoons to have dangerous wildlife in it especially if the are paying the money it costs to stay at the GF. And, yes I know that Disney cannot stop the gators from getting in but people from England, Japan, Brazil, etc may not know this. I also know that there are people who live in the US who still do not know about gators here just like I do not know all of the dangerous wildlfe that may be found in Ohio. (Seriously...is there any dangerous wildlife in Ohio??)

thomas998

Yeah, but that's you - and that's fine.
Most guests would have no idea alligators inhabit these Disney waters.
Disney created a soft sand beach for you to stroll along. At Caribbean Beach there's a playground set right on the beach.
Yeah... my kids have played on the Disney beaches before... But they were also warned about gators being around and never were allowed to do it at night. Not being aware of gators in Florida is not ignorance anyone should be proud of, to me it is common sense.

JohnD

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm sure the rescue teams gave up hope within minutes of starting the search last night. An alligator, a two year old and a deep body of water leave almost no chance for the poor child's survival.

I was on this board last night when the news broke. As a father of three grown adults, as hard as I tried, I could not and still cannot get the image of a child in the grasp of an alligator while the father tries desperately to pull his son back.

We've stayed at the GF and the CR. Not once that I can remember did the front desk person or anyone for that matter specifically say "stay out of the lagoon or lake, there are alligators in there". The signs as I remember them say no swimming, but we have relatives in Florida (no alligators here in Chicago), so I knew to keep my family out of the water. I firmly believe that individuals are responsible for learning about the environment in which they live or vacation. I also firmly believe that if a resort, charter boat captain, knows there is some type of native animal, reptile, insect, etc. that can kill a person, it is their moral duty to inform their customers.

There is the concept of the "Disney Bubble" where nothing bad can happen to you. It's quiet, peaceful, an almost complete break from reality and easy to see how anyone can and sometimes do let their guard down. This is a horrible tragedy. One from which this family will do their best to move on, but never fully recover.

Perhaps the signs should have been more specific about not entering the lagoon at all. Perhaps there should have been some type of fencing or wall to prevent people from even attempting to walk into the lagoon. Perhaps the parents should have not let the toddler near the water. Sometime in the future legal blame will be assigned to one party or the other or both parties will be held jointly responsible to some percentage, but for today, is there really a reason for us to go on and on for almost 40 pages on who is to blame?

You're probably right. I read it was initially "Search and Recovery" and almost immediately became "Search and Rescue", meaning they probably knew already. Anyone could probably guess. If the father couldn't pry the boy from the gator. . . I need not specify what comes next.

Phicinfan

In order to fix a problem, one must first admit the problem. People are calling the parents out for a reason, because people are stupid and we need to learn from these people's mistakes so that it doesnt happen again.
Thats great! You were there and SAW the parent not paying attention, terrific. so tell me when you walked up and warned them about this?

Oh, thats right, you weren't there, and don't know any of this for sure. Maybe, just maybe before you judge you should read the evidence?

Nah, its just more fun to blame the parents for bad parenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom