From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

TERRILYNN

I feel so awful for this family. We were just there a month ago and definitely felt that Disney bubble of "nothing bad happens here". I wouldn't have let my daughter go near the water but honestly it would have been more because of thinking the water was dirty, not thinking about an alligator in there (from Missouri). Maybe a sign with an actual alligator on it would be a good thing for the future but I can't blame Disney or the parents, it was just a horrible freak incident. I remember my husband taking a picture of my daughter in front of a different lake and she was close to the water..not thinking anything of it...then suddenly it clicked and I moved her quickly away...being from somewhere that we don't deal with alligators, it's not the first thing we think of. I hope they can find that poor baby.

21stamps

You do realize the difference here I hope, do you?
Your Key West snorkeling took place in a completely natural environment.
Most Disney guests do not take "precautions" against natural predators at the resort.
Even going by your argument, many guided tours of sorts will instruct participants of the potential hazards of flora and fauna.
I'm not bashing Disney here, but for a change - for me - I'm not blaming the parents either.
This father was right there with his kid at a manmade resort and beach.
I think he was addressing the same poster as I was addressing. Not blaming the parents.. It was in response to the people who said Disney should send warnings about the fact that alligators live in Florida... before their vacation.

thomas998

You do realize the difference here I hope, do you?
Your Key West snorkeling took place in a completely natural environment.
Most Disney guests do not take "precautions" against natural predators at the resort.
Even going by your argument, many guided tours of sorts will instruct participants of the potential hazards of flora and fauna.
I'm not bashing Disney here, but for a change - for me - I'm not blaming the parents either.
This father was right there with his kid at a manmade resort and beach.
While it is man made lake, I look at it as just as natural as any other lake in the area because I'm quite aware from the color of the water that is not a filtered crystal clear pool... I would never have gotten near the waters edge and certainly wouldn't have let my kids splash in the water at night. That just isn't smart in any body of water at night unless its a swimming pool with lights.

FrankLapidus

So now that you know that there are in fact alligators in Florida..will you stop visiting? Or will you not let your child go near the water?

I've been visiting for twenty years and hae seen countless aligators both on and off Disney property in that time, so no it won't stop me returning.

And if I had children I absolutely wouldn't let them near a natural body of water such as Seven Seas Lagoon; I took notice of the warning provided by two Cast Members who both told me that entering into any such body of water on Disney property is strictly prohibited so I don't go near them and I would not let my child go near them.

It's not a question of whether I would allow it or do it myself if I'm staying at a Disney resort. They do not allow it.

No one should be in that lagoon.

Marco226

Heartbroken for the family.

There's a lot of people here claiming that it's "so obvious" that a child shouldn't be at the water's edge, and the parents should've known better. I very much doubt the majority of these "parent blamers" would've felt this way yesterday at this time.
It's amazing how 20-20 hindsight makes people experts.

"NO SWIMMING" signs are not the same as "ALLIGATORS PRESENT-STAY AWAY FROM WATER" signs.
However I don't blame Disney.
In it's 45 year history, nothing like this has ever happened at Walt Disney World.
This was a freak accident.

The ONLY thing that should happen now is that signs should posted around all necessary bodies of water throughout WDW warning of the possible presence & danger of alligators.
That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

God bless that child & the family.

I don't think it matters much what the signs should have said. This is bad parenting. A parent should never let a 2 year old wander off... by himself... in the dark... into any body of water.

rael ramone

I don't have time to read everything here (got held up at work and I have to go to bed soon), but my thoughts:

1. There needs to be Zero Tolerance on property for feeding Predatory Wildlife. First offense, banished from the property for life and referral to the authorities for appropriate charges.

2. Signage across property should be updated. "Predatory Wildlife may exist here. Feeding them increases their being a threat. Don't Feed Predatory Wildlife. Stay Out Of The Water (or woods, etc)" It should be made clear that changing Predatory Wildlifes natural habits presents potential Mortal Danger.

3. Unfortunately, an alligator, once it's confirmed that it's been fed by humans, needs to be put down, regardless of size.

JohnD

I don't think it matters much what the signs should have said. This is bad parenting. A parent should never let a 2 year old wander off... by himself... in the dark... into any body of water.

Just saw a video montage. The investigator made a point of saying that the signs said "No swimming" and that there was no other signage. You could infer he was making a distinction that the child wasn't swimming.

montyz81

Next news conference 6 pm. Child presumed dead. 5th gator caught with no remains found.
it is scary to think that there are 5 gators in the water with many more probable. I blindly think that Disney does a good job of taking care of this problem, but as with any wildlife, there is no perfect solution for removing these gators. I'm sure Disney has the best on hand, but that will sadly never be enough. God bless this family!

21stamps

Ok..I'm letting words on a screen make me angry. So that means it's time to go.

I hope all of you who are blaming the parents have a strong neck to support your halo.

From someone who passionately loves Florida and it's wildlife, and has let her child be at the edge of that lagoon at night- I think you're flat out telling a lie if you say that you never go near Florida water at dawn or dusk if you live there.

And to those blaming Disney- get real. You can't stop gators in Florida. It's a swamp.

But whatever, someone earlier posted that "blame is America's new past time". This thread is definitely showing that to be true.

Have a wonderful day all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom