From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULPO46

Sentinel and all the news outlets are reporting it, OCSO confirms thats what theyre doing.... Whether it actually happened? No idea.
Yup that's what I'm seeing phones all ringing from tweets and alerts from the apps. Crazy how this sad event has postponed the massacre coverage for a few minutes. Still stunned at how a gator could have grabbed a child off into seven seas. Where the parents not watching? I'm not expert on Wildlife, however being bred, born, and raised not to mention educated on local fauna I know a lot about one of floridas top predators and they tend to avoid humans. I wonder what the family was doing so close to shore at this time. And yes if there is a lawsuit against Mickey on this one be ready to have a fence go all around seven seas lagoon.

gmajew

Premium Member
My heart is broken for this poor family. A lost of a child is the worse lost anyone can ever experience and the pain never ever goes away. Imagine the hurt and heartache as they were enjoying vacation and making memories and so happy and all for ever is never the same. There is no getting over a lost like this and I pray and will pray for the family as I know from personal experience that you will need everything possible to just be able to just get out of bed. When hearing of these horrible things I just hope God needed an angel really bad to do some massive job no other angel can handle at this time. I pray for all of them.

ULPO46

I'm pretty confused by this guys tweets. Although alligators are strong if you it off by wrestling it, it may loose its grip on its prey. I don't know how the father would have handled that. This has been the week from

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    215.1 KB · Views: 322

PhotoDave219

Yup that's what I'm seeing phones all ringing from tweets and alerts from the apps. Crazy how this sad event has postponed the massacre coverage for a few minutes. Still stunned at how a gator could have grabbed a child off into seven seas. Where the parents not watching? I'm not expert on Wildlife, however being bred, born, and raised not to mention educated on local fauna I know a lot about one of floridas top predators and they tend to avoid humans. I wonder what the family was doing so close to shore at this time. And yes if there is a lawsuit against Mickey on this one be ready to have a fence go all around seven seas lagoon.

Movie night on the beach? IDK. Gonna have to let time play this one out.

I've rarely seen gators around the Seven Seas Lagoon. I know of some in Bay Lake (north of the contemporary is a known spot) but I've never seen a gator big enough to be a nuisance/threat in a guest area before.

Keri Johnson

So sorry you are experiencing this on your vacation. Hard to escape reality with so much going on around you.
The strange thing about the tragedy that occurred early Sunday morning is that it was nonexistent in the parks later that day. If you did not look at the Internet you would never have known it occurred. People were still enjoying Disney. I never heard one person say anything about it as we were at Hollywood Studios. This week has definitely taken some of the magic out of Disney for me and I don't think it will ever be the same.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wow. Has anything like this even remotely happened before? I know there are gators on property, but it's interesting that one that big would be hanging out in 7SL, and be aggressive enough to come out of the water to get a child.

If true, very sad....and scary.
In Disney, not to my knowledge.

In Florida, absolutely not the first time.

Alligators are ambush predators. Their MO is to wait right by the waters edge and attack prey as it walks by. It is not uncommon for them to attack dogs, small children or even people jogging by the waters edge.

If this child was walking by the waters edge on in the water with their parent, a gator attack is not only possible, but probable.

destoroyer

From http://srelherp.uga.edu/alligators/alligator-safety.htm:

• It is best to avoid swimming in areas that are known habitats for large alligators but at the least, never swim alone. Always be careful around water. Splashing can attract alligators that think a prey animal is injured. They may act on instinct and attack. Or, a protective female may believe her young or eggs are threatened and take defensive action. Be cautious when fishing in waters with alligators, as some will not hesitate to grab a hooked fish or eat the fish on a stringer. Avoid heavy vegetation in and near the water’s edge as alligators use these areas to bask or ambush prey.
Gators like to come on the banks to sleep at night, so if the gator was sleeping in a nearby bank, he might have been attracted to the kid splashing in the water.

ULPO46

Funny just a few days ago I was debating about Alligators with a few of my cast member friends. We've seen them all over the property some even sunning out by main roads. I mean this is Florida. It's difficult to relocate wildlife of that size on the 42 square mile property.

PhotoDave219

In Disney, not to my knowledge.

In Florida, absolutely not the first time.

Alligators are ambush predators. Their MO is to wait right by the waters edge and attack prey as it walks by. It is not uncommon for them to attack dogs, small children or even people jogging by the waters edge.

If this child was walking by the waters edge on in the water with their parent, a gator attack is not only possible, but probable.

Couple things..... Speculation that they were watching a movie on the beach.

Taped off area based on photos is the beach between the main building and DVC.

Beyond that, I'm getting sleep. We'll know more in the morning as to whether this is a hoax or a nightmare.

ULPO46

Yeah, I read thru them.... its confusing.
At the moment he's the only credible source I haven't heard anything from officials yet I believe we will be getting that from the media soon. Tomorrow is not going to be a fun day at the office.

TeriofTerror

A lot of parents not used to dealing with the threat of gators truly don't realize it's even an issue. I was at CBR a few years ago and parents were letting their children play in the lake. I explained that might not be the greatest idea, and the parents thought I was nuts/paranoid.

Mandy M.

The strange thing about the tragedy that occurred early Sunday morning is that it was nonexistent in the parks later that day. If you did not look at the Internet you would never have known it occurred. People were still enjoying Disney. I never heard one person say anything about it as we were at Hollywood Studios. This week has definitely taken some of the magic out of Disney for me and I don't think it will ever be the same.
That is a bit strange not to hear a word about it but I wouldn't expect too much spoken about it either since there are a lot of children around and people are trying to go to their happy place. I think adults/teenagers are feeling it but keeping it in for the sake of the vacation. I hope you still can find some magic and the experience brings you closer to your loved ones and others at the resort on a personal level.

DarthMileZ

I only arrived back from Orlando this morning. crazy horrible time for Orlando. My question is, will Disney get sued for this? Are they liable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom