From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineJoe

In over 20 years and more than 30 visits to WDW I've never seen an armadillo, so I will defer to you one this one. If they are that big a problem on property then the signs should read something like Warning. Do not feed and stay away from all wildlife at WDW.
"Nine-banded armadillos are odd-looking creatures, about the same size as a domestic cat. While not native to Florida, they are common throughout the state, including at Walt Disney World. They gobble down insects, other invertebrates and plants and are most likely to be seen at night"

http://www.themeparktourist.com/fea...life-cuddly-characters-live-walt-disney-world

21stamps

I understand completely. I know it's not breaking news. I just mentioned how long it might be before it is a problem at WDW.
WDW is a place. Located in Central Florida. In a city named Orlando. When people realize this, instead of talking like Disney is an island with invisible walls.. Then maybe all of the ridiculous demands and accusations from the media, 15 min fame cravers, and this thread, will stop. Maybe common sense will kick in.

None, or at least most people don't stay away from areas where danger is a teeny tiny possibility. And most don't expect every place we visit to guarantee us the they have taken procautions against any single remote possibility.

Incomudro

In over 20 years and more than 30 visits to WDW I've never seen an armadillo, so I will defer to you one this one. If they are that big a problem on property then the signs should read something like Warning. Do not feed and stay away from all wildlife at WDW.

I've seen armadillos. Spotted them from the bus and monorail.
But 'dillas don't leap into your arms and give you leprosy.
Brain eating amoeba's don't leap into ones nostrils either.
But a gator may lunge from the water and seize prey from the shore.

EngineJoe

I've seen armadillos. Spotted them from the bus and monorail.
But 'dillas don't leap into your arms and give you leprosy.
Brain eating amoeba's don't leap into ones nostrils either.
But a gator may lunge from the water and seize prey from the shore.

It's quite foreseeable that a little kid would want to pet a cute armadillo at night. And just by petting or having the armadillos sneeze on the kid the kid could contract leporosy and die.

While the chances of that are very small tell that to the parents.

21stamps

Guilty as charged. Well, years ago anyway.
People do get the idea that Disney controls everything in their artificial environment, save for the birds that fly in, and the occasional small critter that crawls in.
Disney doesn't feel like a hotel plopped down on a bit of land.
It feels like a well engineered creation, and the reality is that many guests don't think that there are alligators there.
Heck, Disney keeps the mosquitos out.
Ok well during my latest visit.. Outside of our building (Tuvalu) at Poly was a family of ducks hanging out on the pavement every night, there was countless snakes around, and plenty of bugs, millions of lizards.
Do people think these are all special effects put their for guest enhancement?
It's proof that you actually are in Florida.

I agree that I never in a million years would think that an alligator attack would happen. But it doesn't mean I didn't know they exist. So, I let my kid play at the water's edge. No, not at dark, but around dusk- and I "should" know better. I think that's one of the reasons this story hit me so hard.

G00fyDad

WDW is a place. Located in Central Florida. In a city named Orlando. When people realize this, instead of talking like Disney is an island with invisible walls.. Then maybe all of the ridiculous demands and accusations from the media, 15 min fame cravers, and this thread, will stop. Maybe common sense will kick in.

None, or at least most people don't stay away from areas where danger is a teeny tiny possibility. And most don't expect every place we visit to guarantee us the they have taken procautions against any single remote possibility.

Other than this, I think I am going to take a break from replying to your posts for a while. You still seem to be very aggressive to people just trying to ask questions and make comments. ;)

Incomudro

It's quite foreseeable that a little kid would want to pet a cute armadillo at night. And just by petting or having the armadillos sneeze on the kid the kid could contract leporosy and die.

Do armadillos come right up to small kids, or allow themselves to be approached by small kids?
No.
Look, there are warning signs about deer ticks in many parks I go to.
If Disney is/was aware that large alligators inhabit their beaches - not just occasionally get in, but actually live there - and they encourage guests (many of whom have little kids) to go onto those beaches via groomed sand, movie nights, and fireworks - then I believe that letting guests know that there is an alligator population is certainly reasonable.

R W B

I respectfully suggest you read this post by @fosse76, who indicates he is a Federal prosecutor:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...seven-seas-lagoon.914483/page-89#post-7270419

In addition, it's increasingly clear that Disney was aware of a growing problem caused by Guests feeding alligators and did nothing substantial to address it.

Some might be fed up with our "I'm gonna sue" society but it does appear that Disney was negligent.
Wouldn't a lawyer have to prove that guests feeding gators and Disney letting them continue doing that was the direct cause of this attack though? I don't think that can really be proven.

21stamps

Other than this, I think I am going to take a break from replying to your posts for a while. You still seem to be very aggressive to people just trying to ask questions and make comments. ;)
Not aggressive. Just hoping that someone, anyone who is asking for the impossible- will stop, think, and realize that what they are asking for is in fact impossible.

Incomudro

Ok well during my latest visit.. Outside of our building (Tuvalu) at Poly was a family of ducks hanging out on the pavement every night, there was countless snakes around, and plenty of bugs, millions of lizards.
Do people think these are all special effects put their for guest enhancement?
It's proof that you actually are in Florida.

I agree that I never in a million years would think that an alligator attack would happen. But it doesn't mean I didn't know they exist. So, I let my kid play at the water's edge. No, not at dark, but around dusk- and I "should" know better. I think that's one of the reasons this story hit me so hard.

Teeny animals, compared to gators capable of dragging a person into the water are not the same thing

EngineJoe

Teeny animals, compared to gators capable of dragging a person into the water are not the same thing
Tell that to the parents who let their kid pet an armadillo filled with leporosy.

The chances of that happening are very small but the chances of being killed by an alligator are also incredibly small. 100 times less likely than being struck by lightning and killed.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Signage is the obvious first step.

The new situation with the bungalows might be key. Perhaps people checking into the bungalows should receive additional instruction/warning.

Disney also needs to enforce a strict "no feeding the alligators" policy, even make a public show of it to make it clear to Guests that such behavior will not be tolerated.

Station a Cast Member at water's edge during movie nights to keep Guests away. Alligators are more active at night and with movie nights typically held on Disney's beaches, Disney needs to take extra precautions when alligators and people are likely to be in close proximity.

The program I watched was made before this tragedy. It emphasized that alligators are more active at night. It also emphasized the dangers of people feeding alligators. It's similar to the bear problem facing Rangers at national parks.

WDW Guests need to be better informed and, if I correctly understand the law, Disney is legally responsible for informing them and enforcing the policy.

Those are good ideas to start with indeed - not sure it would keep it from happening 100% of the time however but something is better than nothing

There are a lot of water at various resorts as well that could pose dangers

willtravel

I saw on weather channel a while ago that one of the problems with Florida's alligator population is not having any hurricanes. Alligator's don't like salt water. With the strong winds that come mixed with ocean spray brings in salt water. That is what they implied.

The Mom

Premium Member

Very unlikely. Per the CDC:

"Hansen's disease (also known as leprosy) is a long-lasting infection caused by bacteria.

The disease was once feared as a highly contagious and devastating disease. Now, however, the disease is very rare and easily treated. Early diagnosis and treatment usually prevent disability related to the disease."

I also read an article that states almost 95% of us have a natural immunity. So, IF a child with a immuno-depressed condition were to pick up an armadillo (easier said than done, BTW) and IF that armadillo were infected, and IF the child was untreated he/she MIGHT die - many years in the future.

G00fyDad

Not aggressive. Just hoping that someone, anyone who is asking for the impossible- will stop, think, and realize that what they are asking for is in fact impossible.

I can't help myself. I have to reply to that. I was not asking for anything. I was dreaming/spitballing about ways to keep the alligators from being more of an issue. I even said it was a stupid idea. It was more of an attempt to question the feasibility of something so outlandish. Regardless of what you think I understand your point. It is Florida and alligators are a well known creature in Florida and people should be aware. There should be no need for further precautions. I get it. I have already said this myself earlier in this thread. You need to calm down a little. You previous post was a bit antagonizing. --> "WDW is a place. Located in Central Florida. In a city named Orlando." Read out loud this is pretty condescending.

EngineJoe

Very unlikely. Per the CDC:

"Hansen's disease (also known as leprosy) is a long-lasting infection caused by bacteria.

The disease was once feared as a highly contagious and devastating disease. Now, however, the disease is very rare and easily treated. Early diagnosis and treatment usually prevent disability related to the disease."

I also read an article that states almost 95% of us have a natural immunity. So, IF a child with a immuno-depressed condition were to pick up an armadillo (easier said than done, BTW) and IF that armadillo were infected, and IF the child was untreated he/she MIGHT die - many years in the future.

Yes its very unlikely but the probability of being killed by an alligator is also very unlikely. 100 times less likely than being killed by lightning.

matt9112

They can't attack the problem without removing everything that people love about staying there.

I know that myself and millions of others do not need a "wildlife course" when we go on vacation. Don't punish us because some people choose to be ignorant on where they are traveling to.

I also know, as someone who stays at the monorails resorts, that I would hate to see a wall or a fence separating the water from the beach, all because a 1 in 2.4 million chance actually happened and now people are severely over reacting and being completely unreasonable.

One horrific and terribly sad, but completely RARE accident is not cause for the kind of actions that you and others are proposing.

i would agree with you however recent reports indicate the gator problem became much worse when the bungalows where built. staff had complained about guests feeding them for a while now. so in conclusion im starting to connect the exspansion at polly to a new gator problem that disney knew about. sure the resort is 44 years old....those bungalows not so much.

21stamps

i would agree with you however recent reports indicate the gator problem became much worse when the bungalows where built. staff had complained about guests feeding them for a while now. so in conclusion im starting to connect the exspansion at polly to a new gator problem that disney knew about. sure the resort is 44 years old....those bungalows not so much.

I think that's a major assumption. So the bungalows are at fault because people staying in the bungalows feed them?

21stamps

I can't help myself. I have to reply to that. I was not asking for anything. I was dreaming/spitballing about ways to keep the alligators from being more of an issue. I even said it was a stupid idea. It was more of an attempt to question the feasibility of something so outlandish. Regardless of what you think I understand your point. It is Florida and alligators are a well known creature in Florida and people should be aware. There should be no need for further precautions. I get it. I have already said this myself earlier in this thread. You need to calm down a little. You previous post was a bit antagonizing. --> "WDW is a place. Located in Central Florida. In a city named Orlando." Read out loud this is pretty condescending.
I was answering your question, or more accurately, your accusation, of why my comments aren't aggressive and what I hope they could achieve. I was not replying back to you with my own accusation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom