From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

micdisney

A bit of advice for those involved in this thread:

Don't like it and want it closed? Stop reading it.

Blaming the parents or Disney for what happened? Stop blaming.

Don't like the fact that people are having a conversation over the legality and/or circumstances of the incident? It's a way for people to try to understand and work through the horrible tragedy that just happened. Stop being so offended with them doing this.

Want to crack jokes about what happened? Leave, and don't ever come back here again.

Thanks.
Well said.

Dylan Ann

Agreed. You could put signs everywhere and people are going to do what they want to do

See, and I completely disagree with this. Of course there will always be some people who disregard the signs and will do whatever they want. Just as there are people who ignore stop signs, speed limits, and pedestrian cross walks. But we still have all those things because the vast majority of the public pay attention to this signs and they generally make life safer for all us, because the majority will pay attention to signs. I can't understand why we'd start catering to the lowest common denominator of the public.

MOST people will pay attention to signs. SOME people will never pay attention to signs. The idea that you shouldn't bother putting up signs because some people will ignore them is just plain bizarre to me. It's like saying we might as well never have any rules because some people will always ignore them!

Jim Possible

Does it really matter? It was a freak accident. He could have been splashing his feet. He could have been near the shore. When alligators want prey, they move fast. That's the only relevant info. It got the child. Tragic for the family.

The attack in '86 happened on a playground in Fort Wilderness... close to the water, but the boy attacked wasn't actually in the water.

I agree. This is tragic and finger pointing and speculation won't bring this boy back to life.

Disney will undoubtedly take steps to try to avoid another incident like this in the future, but they can only do so much.

The body was found. Case closed. Let the family grieve and hug your little ones tighter, thanking whatever power you believe in that you still have yours.

rael ramone

No desire to wade back into what has largely become a cesspool, but I did see this story and ... well, again, it shows what I was saying. ABC's Nightline is right now showing little girls at a wedding at the GF two weeks ago acting excited by seeing a gator (captured on a phone) in the water.

http://www.thewrap.com/gator-attack...-staffer-asked-for-fence-at-lagoon-exclusive/

It's being reported that they haven't found (or at least haven't reported) recently any 'nuisance' gators (prior to this).

What is the size of their Animal Control department?
What resources are at their disposal?
If Fish & Wildlife is called in, is there a cost to this?
And has this department/budget been decreased along with so many other things down there?

Unfortunately, years ago in Disneyland a 'cost savings' was cited by the authorities as contributing to the death of a guest.

R W B

People are saying this family is from Nebraska so they didn't know about gators in Florida, im not sure why people don't do their homework. I'm from Louisiana so yes, I know all about gators since we have more than Florida here. We also do not have any real useable beaches but when I went to Destin, Fl for the first time about 10yrs ago you know what I did, I looked to see if that part of the Gulf had Sharks or Jellyfish. I'm planning a trip to Colorado this winter, I've never been that far north before. Only seen snow once in my life and it was more like sleet so I'm looking up to see what wild animals I may encounter up there, and also how to drive in the snow because I don't wanna be "that guy". Now some of you will say, but this is Disney World, not a northern mountain national park or an open beach. To that I'll say before I stayed in the cabins last Feburary I looked into what animals were in the area and I found out they have black bears sometimes, they have deer almost daily, even the rear sighting of a Panther then of course all kinds of snakes and what not. Maybe I just like to know what I'm getting myself into but I think people should do their homework when traveling to an area they have never been. I hear about it all the time on my local news here in New Orleans. Everyone knows this is a party town and huge tourist city but idk how the national media highlights New Orleans but it's not exactly that safe of a city. Tourist get robbed, attacked and what not kinda often because they wonder off the main path and find themselves where they shouldn't be. Like I said, my point is do your research when you're going someplace new. I won't say gators in water in florida should be common knowledge but pretty close.

micdisney

See, and I completely disagree with this. Of course there will always be some people who disregard the signs and will do whatever they want. Just as there are people who ignore stop signs, speed limits, and pedestrian cross walks. But we still have all those things because the vast majority of the public pay attention to this signs and they generally make life safer for all us, because the majority will pay attention to signs. I can't understand why we'd start catering to the lowest common denominator of the public.

MOST people will pay attention to signs. SOME people will never pay attention to signs. The idea that you shouldn't bother putting up signs because some people will ignore them is just plain bizarre to me. It's like saying we might as well never have any rules because some people will always ignore them!
I see where your coming from and I think Disney does need to put signs up or add to what they have. I just think that just because we have signs doesn't mean it's gonna prevent everything. We do what we can and hope everyone follows the rules. Which most Disney tourist do.

FigmentLover6

READ THIS ON A FACEBOOK PAGE- EXACTLY HOW I HAVE BEEN FEELING READING MOST OF THIS THREAD.
I'M SURE THE AUTHOR WOULDN'T MIND MY REPOSTING- I HAVE BEEN IN TEARS FOR DAYS, BUT THIS REALLY BROUGHT THEM OUT.

Parents, I beg of you, stop blaming and shaming other parents.
35 years ago, a mom shopping in a Sears department store went to go look at lamps, and left her six year old with another group of boys, who were all trying out the new Atari game at a kiosk. That boy’s name was Adam Walsh.
30 years ago, an 18 month old toddler playing in her aunt’s backyard fell into a well. Rescuers worked nonstop for 58 hours, finally freeing “Baby Jessica” from the well.
In both cases a tragedy happened, an unforeseen tragic accident took place which left Adam dead, and a toddler fighting for her life deep underground. But they also has something else in common; they had an entire country of moms and dads supporting the grieving parents.
Let me repeat that, EVERYONE SUPPORTED THE RESCUE EFFORTS WITHOUT BLAME. NO BLAME. None. ZERO.
No questions asked, not one single “Where were the parents?” comment. Just a country of other moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas watching in horror as a set of parents, one of their own, went through the unthinkable. Adam was our son. Jessica was our baby daughter.
THOSE PARENTS WERE US.
Flash forward to 2016, the year of THE PERFECT PARENT
Yesterday, a two year old boy, splashing in the magical lakefront waters of a Disney Resort, succumbed to the wilds of mother nature. An aggressive alligator scooped him out of the water, right under the watch of his father, who attempted to fight with the alligator to free his baby son. Pure horror. Sheer Terror. Parents who actually had to watch their baby be taken from them, as if they were in some African nature documentary.
A tragic and unforeseeable accident. An accident.
I weep for this mother and father. I am sick with anguish for the pain, agony, misery, and regret pulsating through their viens this very second. And I bet you are too.
But not everyone is.
You see, we now live in a time where accidents are not allowed happen. You heard me. Accidents, of any form, in any way, and at any time, well, they just don’t happen anymore.
Why? Because BLAME and SHAME.
Because we have become a nation of BLAMERS and SHAMERS.
And how are accidents allowed to happen if we can’t blame someone? Surly, they can’t, right? I mean, random acts of nature, unpreventable tragedies, and fateful life changing events that take place in a matter of nanoseconds cannot possibly take place if everyone is being a responsible parent, right? NOPE.
They can’t, because this country and its population of perfect pitchfork carrying mothers and fathers sitting behind keyboards needs to accuse. They NEED TO BLAME, to disparage, to criticize in every damn way and at every damn corner, the parenting of another.
And when do they really get to lick their blaming chops? When a tragic accident happens. That’s when the pouncing is at its freshest, when raw emotion and ignorance collide, and they dig their word claws in, and take hold of whatever grace these grieving mothers and fathers have left in their souls.
And then they tear it out.
Listen to me very clearly perfect parents, VERY CLEARLY.
I’VE HAD ENOUGH.
I’ve had enough of scrolling through comment threads and seeing over and over again questions like “Where were the parents?” and thoughts like, “This is what happens when you don’t watch your kids.”
I have simply HAD ENOUGH.
I have one question for the blaming and shaming moms and dads. You know the ones who immediately blame the parents, the ones who go on the internet and type comments like, “This is nothing but neglect by the parents,” and “They should have known better. Who was watching that little boy?” and my favorite, “I would never let that happen to my kid.”
Here is my question,
Have you ever been to a child’s funeral before?
I have.
The funeral of a child is an event in life that you never, ever want to experience.
Now let me ask you another question.
In the coming week these parents will fly back to their home in Nebraska without one of their children. They will leave a vacation resort, packing up his Buzz Lightyear pajamas and his favorite blanket, and they will make an excruciatingly difficult journey home. A journey that they never in a million years thought they would be making.
They will meet with a funeral director, pick out a tiny casket, a tiny burial suit, and surrounded by family, they will bury their baby boy.
And they will suffer every single day for the rest of their life.
At the funeral for this two year boy who died in front of his parents, can you do me a favor? Can you walk up to the mother and say the words that you just typed out last week? Can you? Can you greet her, hug her, shake the father’s hand and then say, “ Who was watching that little boy? You should have known better. I would never let that happen to MY child.”
Can you do that for me? I mean, you felt those words so deeply in your heart and soul that you typed them for a million people to read. Certainly you can say it straight to the faces of the people you meant it for, right?
Here, let me help you
Put away your pitchfork for a moment and try this.

To the mother and father who went for a walk on vacation for the last time with their little boy yesterday, I am deeply sorry that you had to experience the worst kind of tragedy possible, an accident. I grieve with you. Your baby was my baby. Your son was my son. I have nothing but love for you, love to help you get though the pain yesterday, today, and for what is gonna seem like a thousand tomorrows. I wrap my thoughts and prayers around your aching heart and soul. May the God of this universe in some miraculous way bring peace to you and your family.

That is what you say. THAT. And just THAT.

Stop the blaming.

Stop the shaming.

In their darkest hours, can we please just LOVE other parents. Please?

Thank you for sharing. My family just returned from WDW on Sunday. After spending June 3-11 in the happiest place on earth this tragic accident is difficult to hear about. After reading through most of this thread, I'll admit I had to skip a few pages, it tears me up that there are so many people with the blame and shame mentality. This was a tragic accident and really nothing more. Life is not perfect, it is a roller coaster, it is a gift, cherish every moment you are given.

Dylan Ann

I see where your coming from and I think Disney does need to put signs up or add to what they have. I just think that just because we have signs doesn't mean it's gonna prevent everything. We do what we can and hope everyone follows the rules. Which most Disney tourist do.

I agree - and I don't blame Disney or the parents for this, but I think after something like this happens, you learn from it and you try to make changes to make it less likely that it will happen again. My guess is that Disney did not actually think a gator attack was possible on this particular beach - if they had, their signs would have mentioned gators rather than "No Swimming." But I do truly believe that a sign that says "No Swimming - Alligators" will be far more effective in keeping most (though not all) people away from the water, rather than a simple "No Swimming" sign.

micdisney

I agree - and I don't blame Disney or the parents for this, but I think after something like this happens, you learn from it and you try to make changes to make it less likely that it will happen again. My guess is that Disney did not actually think a gator attack was possible on this particular beach - if they had, their signs would have mentioned gators rather than "No Swimming." But I do truly believe that a sign that says "No Swimming - Alligators" will be far more effective in keeping most (though not all) people away from the water, rather than a simple "No Swimming" sign.
It's like a mental trigger when you alligator warning your less likely to go into that body of water rather then just "No Swimming" you think there's no danger.

Wendy Pleakley

I'm glad people are discussing the incident, including whether or not any of the parties involved bear responsibility.

I understand why someone would have an initial reaction of "the parents were irresponsible and are to blame". They let their child wade into water where there are alligators. By discussing the incident we can understand that they were not negligent, that they did something countless others have done. They were simply (and tragically), unaware of the danger nearby.

A lesson here is not to rush to judgement. If your initial reaction is to blame someone, hold off. Take some time to let your emotions wear off. Think about what happened and talk about what happened, before coming to any conclusions.

thomas998

Most people will pay attention to signs... until you reach the point that signs start popping up for everything and then people will start becoming desensitized to the signs and will no longer pay attention to them.

I personally think we have already reached that point. I see so many warning and legal disclaimers that most of the time I don't bother reading them when they come with things I buy. Who wants to spend 3 hours going over what is in most cases common sense on the off chance that they might actually have something new to say?

I've see people saying maybe they should have put a alligator warning sign up there.... Well if they did that wouldn't they also need to put one up for amoebas... put one up for snakes.... put one up for e.coli.... put one up for every possible danger that a visitor might encounter if they get in the water and soon you'll be at that point where the visitors see it as a joke and ignore it completely. No the best sign to have was what was there, "no swimming"... if someone lacks the common sense to follow the directions and stay out of the water then no other type of warning would likely do any better.

PhotoDave219

And how many years of your life were spent in Florida? Because apparently all people who have lived in Florida know not to go near any water anywhere in the state.

I think seven years total in Florida? I've seen alligators… I've seen alligator speaker in my car. But never Disney. I've spent well over one year of my life all totaled at the Walt Disney World resort much like yourself. I've never seen a big gator. I've seen little 2 foot long ones in canals or swimming behind Flametree at animal Kingdom and that's every once in a while

I think the biggest one I saw was north of the contemporary sunning itself on the beach far away from the people…

So many of us used to go to the Sunset point at the Polynesian which is the current site of those god awful bungalows that none of us seem to care for. I can't tell you how many times I was down by the water and didn't even think that an alligator would come up.

It's just not something that I would reasonably expect

thomas998

And how many years of your life were spent in Florida? Because apparently all people who have lived in Florida know not to go near any water anywhere in the state.
People that lived in Florida don't avoid the water... They just make sure they are always aware of what's near them... We used to go playing and fishing around canals south of Miami when I was a kid, but we knew there were lots of things to be on the look out for and none of us wanted to end up bitten by a snake or eaten by a gator.... So don't think people in Florida avoid water, they just avoid going out where they are pretty much blind which I think is the biggest reason that the boy got taken. If it had been light I expect that the gator even if it was brave enough to go toward the area the boy was in, would have been seen by someone... But at night it was like walking down an alley in a big city at night.

natatomic

First, dial back the attitude. Second, Yes, I have two kids. One is 21 and the other is 12. So it was kind of easy watching one of my kids at that age at all times. No. I am not describing myself as perfect. I am describing myself as a responsible parent. I get so damn sick of hearing from parents like yourself that are so lazy that you allow your children to run off and do what they want while you are checking your Twitter feed. I see it all the time. Kids running around like s***less heathens under nobody's control/watch and where are the parents? Standing off to the side shooting the breeze or playing with their phones. That kid could get hurt and that parent would sit back and say the same stupid things you are saying. "He/she just ran off out of my eyesight for a second! That's just what kids do." Yes. The kids will try it, but it is YOUR JOB AS A PARENT to not allow them out of your sight. Especially in a situation that could cause them harm. So, if you don't want to be a real parent and keep an eye on your kids then fine, but don't project your own bad parenting onto others and act like they should be the same way with their children.

Wow, I had very little attitude toward you to dial back. Yet YOU are the one calling me names and my children names. Insinuating swear words on a family site no less! You know NOTHING about me and you NOTHING about my children or how I raise them.
I am not lazy. I have an incredibly well-behaved son. And I daughter, well, we buried her last fall - and no, it had nothing to do with my parenting - so I have a tiny idea of what these poor parents are going through in the loss of their child, and you are NOT HELPING WITH YOUR SANCTIMONIOUS ATTITUDE.
And yes, if you are still saying you have never, not once, taken your eyes off your child for even a minute (did they shower with you ever day? Sit in the bathroom when you pooped? Did they sit on your shoulders while you cooked dinner?) and if you are still saying they have never so much as scratched a knee while you were so vigilantly watching them, then yes, you are telling us you are perfect.
It is literally impossible to watch a child ever second of every day. And even when the father in this story WAS watching and WAS right there (also not one of those horrid "lazy" parents you talk about), something happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom