From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

See, and I completely disagree with this. Of course there will always be some people who disregard the signs and will do whatever they want. Just as there are people who ignore stop signs, speed limits, and pedestrian cross walks. But we still have all those things because the vast majority of the public pay attention to this signs and they generally make life safer for all us, because the majority will pay attention to signs. I can't understand why we'd start catering to the lowest common denominator of the public.

MOST people will pay attention to signs. SOME people will never pay attention to signs. The idea that you shouldn't bother putting up signs because some people will ignore them is just plain bizarre to me. It's like saying we might as well never have any rules because some people will always ignore them!
Correct.
That's the argument of inevitability: "People will do whatever they will do, so why bother?"
It's a weak argument.

Last edited:

Laura

Premium Member
And I daughter, well, we buried her last fall - and no, it had nothing to do with my parenting - so I have a tiny idea of what these poor parents are going through in the loss of their child, and you are NOT HELPING WITH YOUR SANCTIMONIOUS ATTITUDE.

It's pretty sad that a parent suffering with the loss of a child has to use a disclaimer like that these days because of the self-righteous attitudes of internet trolls.

Very sorry for your loss. :(

G00fyDad

Wow, I had very little attitude toward you to dial back. Yet YOU are the one calling me names and my children names. Insinuating swear words on a family site no less! You know NOTHING about me and you NOTHING about my children or how I raise them.
I am not lazy. I have an incredibly well-behaved son. And I daughter, well, we buried her last fall - and no, it had nothing to do with my parenting - so I have a tiny idea of what these poor parents are going through in the loss of their child, and you are NOT HELPING WITH YOUR SANCTIMONIOUS ATTITUDE.
And yes, if you are still saying you have never, not once, taken your eyes off your child for even a minute (did they shower with you ever day? Sit in the bathroom when you pooped? Did they sit on your shoulders while you cooked dinner?) and if you are still saying they have never so much as scratched a knee while you were so vigilantly watching them, then yes, you are telling us you are perfect.
It is literally impossible to watch a child ever second of every day. And even when the father in this story WAS watching and WAS right there (also not one of those horrid "lazy" parents you talk about), something happened.

Okay. Done. Not arguing with someone like you. Have a magical day. ;)

Lucky

Now we know why:

"San Diego attorney David Hiden told the Orlando Sentinel on Wednesday that last year he whisked his son to safety at Disney's Coronado Springs after a gator approached the boy playing in calf-deep water. Then Hiden saw a second gator nearby. Hiden said a hotel manager called one of them a "resident pet" and seemed unconcerned.

"If I hadn't gone down there in another two seconds, my kid would have been killed," Hiden said."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-alligator-history-20160615-story.html
Thanks for this - it's worth quoting more from this story...

Grand Floridian custodian Mike Hamilton was so concerned by alligators occasionally swimming up close to the shore of Walt Disney World's Seven Seas Lagoon, he said he warned managers they should fence off the area. "There are signs that say, 'No swimming,' but no signs that say gators and everything else in this lake," he said.

Alfred Smith of Charleston, S.C., said he alerted a Grand Floridian employee Tuesday night after seeing a gator in the lagoon. He thinks it's the same one that attacked the boy less an hour later.

One employee at the Disney property who did not want to be identified said in an email "there is such a problem on property with guests feeding the alligators thinking it's cool." Visitors at Buena Vista Palace regularly feed two of them from the balconies, he said.

Club Cooloholic

A really good point of view from a parent who was actually staying there at the time in the link below. And she is absolutly right, if Disney is going to have Movie Nights and lounge chairs on the beaches they should be making sure the areas are constantly checked to make sure there is no dangers present. With the amount the resorts cost, maybe having more spotters patroling the coastline and waters is needed, and reasonable.
https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/could-us-parents-recount-spotting-130006804.html

Laura

Premium Member
People that lived in Florida don't avoid the water... They just make sure they are always aware of what's near them...

I was exaggerating for effect. I live in Florida, I am cautious out in "nature", always looking for snakes and alligators and other scary things. At an immaculately groomed luxury beach resort at Disney World with a princess castle in the background? I cannot recall ever feeling like my kids may eaten by a wild animal at any moment in those kind of surroundings!

G00fyDad

It's pretty sad that a parent suffering with the loss of a child has to use a disclaimer like that these days because of the self-righteous attitudes of internet trolls.

Very sorry for your loss. :(

NOT ONCE did I EVER day that it was the parents fault here. It would help if people actually read the posts instead of skimming them and jumping to conclusions. ;) As a matter of fact I mentioned in a previous post of mine that this father did everything he could to protect this child and that it was NOT his fault.

ElvisMickey

Aside from the fact that I was in Seven Seas Lagoon and River Country quite often as a child of the 80s, these days, you don't need to tell me twice to stay out regardless of what's on the sign. The only water I'm going in is the swimming pool or I'm hitting the water parks. I'm not a fan of lakes, oceans, lagoons...whatever...where there's the potential for fish to swim up my shorts, let alone, more dangerous things lurking in these bodies of water. I realize the fact that living in NJ almost all my life close to the Jersey shore and now living in Central FL, I am missing out on things that many people consider fun like paddle boarding, snorkeling, etc. But hey, we like what we like. With that being said, obviously many of people love to do these things and I can see how for those that feel a desire to even dip a toe in the Seven Seas Lagoon, the "No Swimming" sign isn't fully disclosing the dangers you can be potentially subjecting yourself to.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
It's being reported that they haven't found (or at least haven't reported) recently any 'nuisance' gators (prior to this).

What is the size of their Animal Control department?
What resources are at their disposal?
If Fish & Wildlife is called in, is there a cost to this?
And has this department/budget been decreased along with so many other things down there?

Unfortunately, years ago in Disneyland a 'cost savings' was cited by the authorities as contributing to the death of a guest.
This has been explained numerous times by the FWC. Disney is permitted to remove them. They don't have to call anybody in to do it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have the same presumption. However, many in this thread believe the parents should have expected a gator attack to happen. :rolleyes:

It's Florida for crying out loud a gator is probably in every body of water EXCEPT a swimming pool, But Marketing did not want to 'scare' people so they stuck with a plain 'No Swimming' sign, Yet at Shades of Green where the clientele is generally known for their courage there are signs warning against the Gators.

Rescue Ranger

Why is everyone continuing to talk about the "water"???
This kid, like many who do this daily, could have just as easily been on the beach playing in the sand and the Alligator could have come up from the water onto land. Alligators are not fish.

At the same time, an Alligator could also come right out of the lagoon and take a dip in one of the swimming pools during the night if it wanted. This is not restricted to only an incident than can occur inside the Seven Seas Lagoon. Which in these cases, a sign wouldn't have prevented anything.

I believe the only preventative thing they can do is one of 3 options:

1: Clear the lagoon and filter it like, say, Disney Springs(not likely)
2. Remove all beaches(hopefully not)
3. Create some sort of low lying barrier along the water edges that access low lying guest areas, such as beaches, along with adding some harmful wildlife signage similar to the golf course(more likely)

Not sure what else they could really do.

ElvisMickey

It's Florida for crying out loud a gator is probably in every body of water EXCEPT a swimming pool, But Marketing did not want to 'scare' people so they stuck with a plain 'No Swimming' sign, Yet at Shades of Green where the clientele is generally known for their courage there are signs warning against the Gators.

I agree with this completely. A gator on the sign may have been bad for business.

thomas998

I was exaggerating for effect. I live in Florida, I am cautious out in "nature", always looking for snakes and alligators and other scary things. At an immaculately groomed luxury beach resort at Disney World with a princess castle in the background? I cannot recall ever feeling like my kids may eaten by a wild animal at any moment in those kind of surroundings!
I agree the immaculately groomed luxury beaches look inviting and safe... but if you ever look at the water I don't know how you could ever think it was safe or inviting... for years the water in SSL has reminded me more of a semi stagnant pond than an inviting place to wade, swim or even go near.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I disagree... when I see a "no swimming" sign I see that as stay out of the water... If I see a "no diving" then I assume I can get in the water but just can't dive in... If I see a "no lifeguard on duty" I assume I can get in the water at my own peril... But "no swimming" means stay out.

Trouble is in the legalistic climate in the US people tend to parse signs like that, Well I can't swim but that means wading is OK,

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree the immaculately groomed luxury beaches look inviting and safe... but if you ever look at the water I don't know how you could ever think it was safe or inviting... for years the water in SSL has reminded me more of a semi stagnant pond than an inviting place to wade, swim or even go near.

The only way I'd go in that water is in a drysuit with a helmet. It's rather unappealing

21stamps

To the people parent shaming the Graves, NEWS FLASH: No one here, myself included, are parents of the year. We all make mistakes and learn from them. Get off of your high horse and accept the reality that you're not the "perfect parent."
I'm still as mind boggled as yesterday.
Because to me parenting has nothing to do with this story at all.
The Cincinnati Zoo- parenting mistake.
WDW alligator- freak occurrence.

People that lived in Florida don't avoid the water... They just make sure they are always aware of what's near them... We used to go playing and fishing around canals south of Miami when I was a kid, but we knew there were lots of things to be on the look out for and none of us wanted to end up bitten by a snake or eaten by a gator.... So don't think people in Florida avoid water, they just avoid going out where they are pretty much blind which I think is the biggest reason that the boy got taken. If it had been light I expect that the gator even if it was brave enough to go toward the area the boy was in, would have been seen by someone... But at night it was like walking down an alley in a big city at night.
I think this could have happened to any Florida resident as well. I don't think most people, regardless of being from a part of the country with gators or not, would be scared of the shoreline of Seven Seas Lagoon at 9pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom