From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
I suspect the latter. A short fence around the beaches a few feet from the water line should be enough, and would look attractive enough (heck, the shoreline with it's water weeds and puke green water is ugly as it is), and signage everywhere else.

Or, they may just get rid of the beaches...which would be fine except for places like CBR, Yacht and Beach and Poly, where it's part of the "theme"...

Or, if they REALLY wanted to do it right, they could wall it off and make a shoreline that is really a pool that is elevated above the lagoon with it's own isolated water...but, that would be big buckaroos...

Google Ninja gator.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Not to make light of this, but I still fear I'll be taken prisoner by pirates on POTC if the ride breaks down, lol...

To your comment... I'd have something to put on the table/desk in every hotel/DVC room on property as a warning or yes, just update the signage.
I certainly expect "don't feed the animals" signs will be showing up on your hotel room tables soon...but, frankly, they probably should have been there already, and not just for gators.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Has there been anything regarding PETA yet, going after Disney for killing innocent Alligators? I'm sure it's only a matter of time now if it hasn't already happened.

This type of reaction is standard practice when it comes to animals and human life. The kid gloves come off when its an animal that has killed humans.

Disney Analyst

I suspect the latter. A short fence around the beaches a few feet from the water line should be enough, and would look attractive enough (heck, the shoreline with it's water weeds and puke green water is ugly as it is), and signage everywhere else.

Or, they may just get rid of the beaches...which would be fine except for places like CBR, Yacht and Beach and Poly, where it's part of the "theme"...

Or, if they REALLY wanted to do it right, they could wall it off and make a shoreline that is really a pool that is elevated above the lagoon with it's own isolated water...but, that would be big buckaroos...

My thoughts:

Before:

beach1.png

After:

beach3.png

thomas998

So wait the gator took the boy, drowned him, and then decided he wasn't a meal? I cannot imagine how this would be considered to be a better outcome for the parents. So my son was drowned for sport?

I know the gator doesn't think that way but the parent will.

My heart goes out to the family involved and thank you to those educating others on the dangers involved. Shame on so many on this post to go anywhere else.
He wasn't drowned for sport if this was done by the gator. They will often take prey that is too large for them to swallow and wedge it underwater so that the skin of the prey will become softer and they can come back and get bites of it at a later date. As I understand it a gator has lots of teeth that can crush things quite easily but they aren't as good at taking bites out of things so they sometimes allow time and nature to help them out with their prey.

Beholder

I have no idea who's "at fault", where the legalities may fall, who or what entity may assume the most "damages", all I'm aware of is that no amount of legal wrangling or posturing by those on the sidelines will ever come close to the horror of what this family will endure, now and presumably for the rest of their lives. I don't care about the law side of this, these things, all without my knowledge or input, will be sorted out. Personally, for me to even consider such notions is minuscule and dismissive of the tragedy this family is going through. My heart breaks for them, I don't have the context to even imagine what they are experiencing. This was a family who was enjoying a vacation, a vacation that I and thousands others like me have enjoyed. To have this happen in ANY circumstance is terrible enough, but under the auspices of building memories and having the time of your life, utterly heartbreaking. Disney will undoubtedly do what they need to do to try and prevent this from happening again, families will exercise caution and move carefully on, but I can't imagine assessing any sort of willful negligence on Disney's part or especially the parents. I pray for them and I hope they somehow find peace.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
He wasn't drowned for sport if this was done by the gator. They will often take prey that is too large for them to swallow and wedge it underwater so that the skin of the prey will become softer and they can come back and get bites of it at a later date. As I understand it a gator has lots of teeth that can crush things quite easily but they aren't as good at taking bites out of things so they sometimes allow time and nature to help them out with their prey.
This is exactly correct.

mousehockey37

I certainly expect "don't feed the animals" signs will be showing up on your hotel room tables soon...but, frankly, they probably should have been there already, and not just for gators.

At the AKL, they make that clear to NOT drop anything off the balcony (food or otherwise) onto the Savanna, and that if you do, to call the front desk.

I suspect now that all the shorelines are in jeopardy, they'll look at putting up more bungalows to eliminate the shoreline completely ;).

Thessair

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not to make light of this, but I still fear I'll be taken prisoner by pirates on POTC if the ride breaks down, lol...

To your comment... I'd have something to put on the table/desk in every hotel/DVC room on property as a warning or yes, just update the signage.

That was my thought...include something in each hotel's lobby and in the booklet in each hotel room.

When I stayed at one of Disneyland's hotels, there was an entire page on earthquakes in their guest room notebook (yes, it was a notebook).

pax_65

I've been to WDW many times over many years. I'm aware swimming is prohibited in all waters and I'm aware alligators are "around" (and have seen a couple of small ones). I never let my kids in the water. But NEVER in my wildest dreams did I think an attack like this could happen in WDW. Given this tragedy, I'm fine with getting rid of all beaches. It always bothered me anyway - the first thing the kids wanted to do is go to the beach and swim. Why have the beach if you can't swim? Just for looks? Not worth the risk. Just get rid of them, build walls, and post signs saying "Don't feed the alligators."

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

You are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom