From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuttle

You know those little water reservoir things on the sides of the road in FL? I see them a lot on the way to the resort from MCO. Well I've seen TONS of gators just in those things so you know the 7 Seas Lagoon has to be crawling with them but I've never seen one out there before. I bet a gator could even get in the water of the Jungle Cruise if it wanted to couldn't it? Is the perimeter totally fenced off on the edges of the park? I mean I don't think they WOULD get in there just because I don't think they would have a food source but I'm just saying it might actually be possible. If Disney really wanted to get rid of them they would have to get rid of all the deer, groundhogs, raccoons, and every other type of food source for them. That would basically be an impossible task.
I've seen them multiple times in the rivers of America. There's actually a three legged guy swimming around somewhere.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

There are lots of snakes, most are not venomous. I don't think they will remove that area. It's a beautiful peaceful spot. Like I said- the only way to prevent Florida wildlife from ever having a chance to harm a human- is by removing all wildlife. That's not going to ever happen. But the chances of actually being harmed by Florida wildlife- about as slim as winning the lottery.
I actually took a picture of a baby blacksnake on the sidewalk at BLT just a few weeks ago.

anchorman314

Lots of rocks coming to 7 seas beaches, that's for sure. Which, since you can't swim anyway, is the right move and perfectly fine aesthetically.
I agree. There's no reason that they can't create both a beach and some 'breakers' to separate the zero-entry areas. The only way to keep people out of the water and animals in the water would be a solid or chain link fence. I don't see that happening. But a 'natural' separator between sand and water? Makes perfect sense.

JohnD

I have never, ever heard of guests feeding alligators, so let's just stop that nonsense. If it's happened, then it's a once a year type thing. With today's media I've never seen photos or videos of guests close enough to feed alligators.

Also, there is nothing you can do to keep the gators away. Like deer, there just apart of humans and our habitat.

Probably more likely debris from guests' food/snacks ending up in the water.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I thought the moat around the castle was removed

The moat around the hub is still there, only a small portion right at the end of MSUSA was covered for the gardens. Small gators have been seen over the years in Rivers of America and most of the time they are small enough to be harmless. However if they get larger, or venture out of the river they are removed.

Roses77

I've been to Disney with people who were "YOLO" and called me paranoid. Some just don't understand the dangers of this world. No, you cannot run and hide from everything but you can be smart and aware. We walked from the Poly to Shades SEVERAL times in the dark and every time I begged not to have to do it. We saw large gators in front of Shades on several mornings. Reality is that you cannot live in a bubble in which you honestly believe "nothing is going to happen to me". You must weigh the risks of decisions and make the best decision. I was actually just as terrified of alligators as I was snakes and spiders. Especially the first two at night. It is natural habitat which means the human race needs to change their behavior when around. I have been sick to my stomach since reading this last night.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

This is terrible that it happened and I feel for the family.

That said, I hate when this kind of stuff happens because Disney really can't win. They can post signs. They can have lifeguards. They can close off the beaches, but the next thing will be just as random/tragic and won't be preventable. What if a coyote wonders into the Magic Kingdom at night and eats a kid the next morning?

Do we know the exact circumstances at this point? Was the child actually in the water or doing something they are advised against?
Yes it was in the water and there were No Swimming signs posted. People are mad that they didn't have signs warning of gators but when the sign says No Swimming then as long as you obey that you shouldn't have a problem with gators. I've heard the kid was in there about a foot deep. For a 2 year old that seems pretty deep. It's definitely deep enough to conceal a smaller type gator and especially under the cover of darkness. I'm not saying their parents will be charged with negligence but given the way things went down with the gorilla thing it could be a possibility when people get out for blood.

EngineJoe

21stamps

I've been to Disney with people who were "YOLO" and called me paranoid. Some just don't understand the dangers of this world. No, you cannot run and hide from everything but you can be smart and aware. We walked from the Poly to Shades SEVERAL times in the dark and every time I begged not to have to do it. We saw large gators in front of Shades on several mornings. Reality is that you cannot live in a bubble in which you honestly believe "nothing is going to happen to me". You must weigh the risks of decisions and make the best decision. I was actually just as terrified of alligators as I was snakes and spiders. Especially the first two at night. It is natural habitat which means the human race needs to change their behavior when around. I have been sick to my stomach since reading this last night.
I don't think letting your child play at the edge of Seven Seas Lagoon is really the equivalent of a YOLO lifestyle.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

We saw soooo many on our last trip. There were so many at Poly, and a humongous one at Mickey's Winter Summerland! There's no way to get rid of them.
That was actually only the second snake I have ever seen there. I saw one at Downtown Disney one time as well. My stepmom actually saw an enormous turtle on the sidewalk from MK to BLT a couple of years ago and that's probably the most "exotic" animal that I've seen that close to the parks before. Those could be dangerous too if uneducated parents thought it would be cute to get a picture with one. A turtle could easily remove a finger.

HRHPrincessAriel

A lot more than you could imagine. At work, everyday, I tell at least 15 people to stop feeding animals, and see at lease 15 more. This is just in front of my 1 ride.
It's like people at the zoo. Last week a kid was throwing lays potato chips to the giraffes. Parents standing right there. Sign clearly posted not to feed

fvrs7189

Probably more likely debris from guests' food/snacks ending up in the water.
I have just spoken to a co-worker that admitted to feeding a small baby alligator at CS a few years back. I think it happens all the time. In August of last year, I saw an roughly 2ft alligator in the water between Tom Sawyer Island and Frontier Land while walking on the bridge/walkway. Everyone was stopping and looking at it. It was just floating right beside the walkway. I don't think there is any way to stop them from entering the property

Rteetz

What about the private pools on the bungalows? Aren't those actually like "in" the Seven Seas Lagoon? Couldn't a gator even get in them or are they totally closed off with water generated from elsewhere?
They are elevated. I can't see a gator getting in one. The small plunge pools are surrounded by a fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom