From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

righttrack

I am so sad and sick over this story. But my god people-- for once can it just be accepted that it was a total freak incident. STOP placing blame.

They weren't bad parents. I'm not a bad parent for letting my kid play in the sand at the waters edge. None of the million + people who have done the same are bad parents.

2 parents just happen to be extremely unlucky to have such a rare thing happen to them.

In over 40 years, as far as I know, this has never happened. It's a tragedy and even banning people from the beaches might not solve it completely.

polynesiangirl

I'll hope they change the policy regarding feeding/abusing wild life. That would be my first move. Remove the incentive for wild life to come so near humans.
THIS.

While I am inclined to fall on the side of "this is a freak accident and terrible tragedy" and I don't know that something like this could have "prevented" it, people feeding the wildlife on property is a HUGE issue for many reasons. I would be so pleased if Disney would take a harder stance against it. I see idiots feeding the wildlife every. single. trip we take. Every time.

I've never seen a gator at WDW, but I can definitely believe the stories some have told about seeing guests feeding them. Insanity.

I'm so sad for this family. I have a 2 year old son myself. I cannot even imagine the pain they must be in right now.

Matt_Black

THIS.

While I am inclined to fall on the side of "this is a freak accident and terrible tragedy" and I don't know that something like this could have "prevented" it, people feeding the wildlife on property is a HUGE issue for many reasons. I would be so pleased if Disney would take a harder stance against it. I see idiots feeding the wildlife every. single. trip we take. Every time.

They have numerous signs and statements saying "Don't feed the animals". There's little else they can do aside from ejecting people from the parks/ resorts, and that could lead to a PR nightmare.

SoupBone

You're far more likely to be attacked and killed by a shark. More people are killed from falling coconuts from trees. You are far more likely to be killed in a fiery car crash. I am willing to be the odds of your computer exploding while you type is higher than being attacked by an alligator.

Why ruin a vacation? Just know not to be complacent.
Not going on the trip is because all I will be thinking about is this child and his family, not because I think I'm going to get attacked. It's difficult to have a good time at the Happiest Place on Earth when you're thinking about the grief that this family is going through instead of focusing on the fun.

Incomudro

This will probably only bring minimal comfort given the incident last night, but the water by the beach club is very unlikely to have gators in it given that it is an enclosed body of water with no connections to any natural body of water. Obviously it's still possible, because gators can still walk to it, but it's so rare, and it's not really any easy walk for a gator. I've been working on that water for three years now and have never seen a single gator, nor have I seen a gator trap laid out implying that a gator was spotted by someone else. And we're supposed to call animal control immediately if we DO see one so that it can be caught and relocated immediately.

edited to add: you still should not go into that water, and there are signs that say not to. 30 years of diesel fuel mixed with firework residue makes for some truly disgusting water.

Yes, the waters of Crescent lake and the waterways to Epcot and HS are more enclosed than the 7 Seas Lagoon.
Some huge soft shell turtles in Crescent Lake though.

21stamps

In over 40 years, as far as I know, this has never happened. It's a tragedy and even banning people from the beaches might not solve it completely.
I hope people do not get banned from the beaches. Anymore than I don't think all planes should be grounded because of one crash, or beaches permanently closed after a shark attack.
It's just a horrible horrible rare incident.

EngineJoe

I'm sure the statistics are correct. But the Orlando area is reeling right now. So I think measures will probably be taken because of the heightened environment they're in.

Other than putting up gator warning signs or closing all the beaches not much they can do.

The other alternative is having gator hit squads constantly patrolling and killing ever single gator in the Disney world property (which is a huge area). But that would lead to an Inhumane outcry.
They already patrol the area and remove any gators they see

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They have numerous signs and statements saying "Don't feed the animals". There's little else they can do aside from ejecting people from the parks/ resorts, and that could lead to a PR nightmare.
Let Orange county start sighting people for it. Odds are there are a few locations where this happens more than others. Maybe people will start wising up when not doing so will cost them a couple hundred bucks.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

We are members at Bay Lake and get discounts on all the water excursions and things like that but I absolutely would never get in that water. I wouldn't get in any lake in FL because of gators. It's odd that Disney is saying they didn't know about the gators because just a couple of years ago a CM told me that they have to move them from Wilderness Lodge all the time because I specifically asked him if they ever see them there and that I would be afraid to use the campgrounds because of gators. Also cottonmouths and diamondback rattlers are prevalent in FL as well. This is just so horrible and my heart aches for these people. My prayers are certainly with them. Does anyone know if the parents could be charged for negligence since there were "No Swimming" signs up? I only say that because they tried to charge the parents of the kid with the gorilla for that.

21stamps

The difference between the current situation and the example pictures that have been posted of children being near the water is the time of day. This happened at night. During the day the gators are A. Less active around the lake because of the boats and B. Have a much higher chance of being spotted while approaching. At night the lake is quieter and you CANNOT see it approaching until it's too late.
The photo I posted was at dusk. Right after roasting marshmallows.
Even if you see the gator you can not stop it.

radiohost

I have never, ever heard of guests feeding alligators, so let's just stop that nonsense. If it's happened, then it's a once a year type thing. With today's media I've never seen photos or videos of guests close enough to feed alligators.

Also, there is nothing you can do to keep the gators away. Like deer, there just apart of humans and our habitat.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Question do we know why they changed it from recovery to rescue? I would have expected the opposite. Regardless this is all very sad.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have never, ever heard of guests feeding alligators, so let's just stop that nonsense. If it's happened, then it's a once a year type thing. With today's media I've never seen photos or videos of guests close enough to feed alligators.

Also, there is nothing you can do to keep the gators away. Like deer, there just apart of humans and our habitat.
You are wrong. Let's just leave it at that.

yellowrocket

CNN just reported WDW is shutting down all beaches on property out of caution.

How in the world are they going to close all the beaches? And, if they are closing just the beaches, what about the grassy areas and sidewalks that are adjacent to water areas. There must be literally miles of land/water border in the resort.

And, this might have been asked before, but isn't Seven Seas Lagoon part of the same waterway that connects to the Rivers of America and the Cinderella Castle moat system? If the alligator problem is that rampant, how would they protect those areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom