From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

Maybe someone can refresh my memory but is all lighting on the beaches dimmed or turned off entirely for the firework shows? From what I remember of my stay at Wilderness, the lighting remained on but I'm wondering now if I'm wrong.
No the lighting is not turned off. Maybe they were at the Luau Cove beach, but still, it isn't pitch black.

Gringrinngghost

Maybe someone can refresh my memory but is all lighting on the beaches dimmed or turned off entirely for the firework shows? From what I remember of my stay at Wilderness, the lighting remained on but I'm wondering now if I'm wrong.
It's not dimmed at the Poly nor outside the contemp roof.

21stamps

Here is the Poly during the fireworks, we were swimming... Notice the big lights. You can also see the movie screen on the beach.
image.jpeg

cslafferty

I have nothing in my heart but profound grief for everyone involved. Reading through this thread, as a "northerner" who has no experience with gators or crocs besides our local zoo, I have learned quite a bit this morning. I remember my very first trip to WDW in '99 with my preteen kids, and we had just finished playing mini golf at Fantasia Gardens. We wanted to go to DHS, and we could see Tower of Terror not far away, so we decided to WALK! I know . . . it sounded like a good idea at the time! Part of that walk was along a canal, and thought nothing of it at the time. After all, that was the same vacation where we went swimming at River Country, which was right on the shores of Bay Lake. Now, I would NEVER walk that close to water down there! My point being that many of us who don't live down there, while we understand we're in gator country, we really don't grasp the reality of that. And, as ignorant as it sounds, assume that while at a resort I don't have to worrying about encountering an alligator. Ignorantly thinking "I'm sure the resort people take care of them so their guests are safe." While I am not blaming Disney - this was a horrible, tragic accidental encounter with wildlife native to the area - I have to wonder that there would be better places to have a movie screening than on a beach at night. And, if you really want to keep people away from the water, then the signs need to say "Stay out of the water." That is different than "No swimming." And, I think there are ways to calmly remind guests to be viligant of the wildlife native to the area without scaring them to death. It is a reality of being if Florida, that many of us on a magical vacation can lose sight of.

note2001

I took this photo when my now 13 and 15 year olds were 2 and 4. Never thought twice about letting them stand there.

View attachment 146012
Thank you for the photo, it drives home the innocence of standing by a lake with your kids. I am upset to hear of this tragedy. My heart goes out to the child and family.

Most visitors don't understand the saying: in Florida, if there's a puddle, there's an alligator in it. I know I used to swim at Ft. Wilderness' beach and the biggest worry there was who was going to get the hammock when we got out.

EngineJoe

while I want to blame this on ..... Something, I really can't come up with anything that should be blamed. The parents were right there with their child. Disney traps and moves gators constantly. Sure we an Monday morning quarterback this to death but I really can't think of anyone who is at fault.

It's just so absolutely random, much like a Russian satellite falling out of the sky and hitting the car in front of you.

Yup, people want to shut down the Disney watersystem or sue them or blame the parents but in the last 50 years there have been only 26 deaths by alligator nationwide. Compare that to being struck by lightning which happens about 31 to 49 times a year in the US (depending on which statistics you use) or 1500-2500 deaths in a 50 year period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_alligator_attacks_in_the_United_States_by_decade

In other words you are about 100 times more likely to be struck by lightning and killed then eaten by an alligator.

Last edited:

21stamps

I have nothing in my heart but profound grief for everyone involved. Reading through this thread, as a "northerner" who has no experience with gators or crocs besides our local zoo, I have learned quite a bit this morning. I remember my very first trip to WDW in '99 with my preteen kids, and we had just finished playing mini golf at Fantasia Gardens. We wanted to go to DHS, and we could see Tower of Terror not far away, so we decided to WALK! I know . . . it sounded like a good idea at the time! Part of that walk was along a canal, and thought nothing of it at the time. After all, that was the same vacation where we went swimming at River Country, which was right on the shores of Bay Lake. Now, I would NEVER walk that close to water down there! My point being that many of us who don't live down there, while we understand we're in gator country, we really don't grasp the reality of that. And, as ignorant as it sounds, assume that while at a resort I don't have to worrying about encountering an alligator. Ignorantly thinking "I'm sure the resort people take care of them so their guests are safe." While I am not blaming Disney - this was a horrible, tragic accidental encounter with wildlife native to the area - I have to wonder that there would be better places to have a movie screening than on a beach at night. And, if you really want to keep people away from the water, then the signs need to say "Stay out of the water." That is different than "No swimming." And, I think there are ways to calmly remind guests to be viligant of the wildlife native to the area without scaring them to death. It is a reality of being if Florida, that many of us on a magical vacation can lose sight of.
It won't matter if you are NEAR the water or IN the water. It can happen regardless. You can't live your life expecting it to happen.

G00fyDad

Not to sound "holier-than-thou" because that is truly not what I am trying to do, but I have never let my children near the water in Disney. Pools only. I know how dangerous this can be because there is no way Disney can manage to police these waterways enough to keep all of the alligators out. My wife was stunned one time when we were eating at Flame Tree BBQ and the gator wranglers snared a baby alligator right in front of the pavilion where our table was located. She couldn't believe the thing was that close to people. Now she looks at the waters in WDW (and all of Florida) a little different and she understands why I have been so amendment when telling my kids to stay away from the water.

Beacon Joe

What else am I suppose to do at 1:45am 650 miles away? Sure I feel bad for the family for their loss and wish for the best but...

No, Disney didn't need someone on duty or a barrier there. Why do people think we need someone to hold our hands for everything these days. How about pay attention to the signs that are posted?

I do think the parents are completely at fault here.

Call me insensitive, a jerk, or anything else you want but people need to have some self liability. Just because something tragic happened on a businesses property doesn't mean that business is automatically at fault. If these parents followed the warning signs that are posted then this kid would probably be tucked away into his bed sleeping right now. Yes, its brutal and too soon for some or most but it is what it is. This is a horrible and tragic situation and the feeling of literally fighting for your sons life a loosing is something that father has to deal with for life now. I just hope he doesn't beat himself up too bad because he still has 2 other children that will need him to be there for them.

Thank you for posting that bit of sanity.

JohnD

Yup, people want to shut down the Disney watersystem or sue them or blame the parents but in the last 50 years there have been only 26 deaths by alligator nationwide. Compare that to being struck by lightning which happens about 31 to 49 times a year in the US (depending on which statistics you use) or 150-250 deaths in a 50 year period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_alligator_attacks_in_the_United_States_by_decade

I'm sure the statistics are correct. But the Orlando area is reeling right now. So I think measures will probably be taken because of the heightened environment they're in.

21stamps

Thank you for the photo, it drives home the innocence of standing by a lake with your kids. I am upset to hear of this tragedy. My heart goes out to the child and family.

Most visitors don't understand the saying: in Florida, if there's a puddle, there's an alligator in it. I know I used to swim at Ft. Wilderness' beach and the biggest worry there was who was going to get the hammock when we got out.
I just posted a photo of my kid sitting at the waters edge playing in the sand. I lived in South Florida the majority of my life. I also scuba dive and take my child snorkeling, and as soon as he is old enough he will start diving, and yes, I know that there are sharks in the water. You can't live your life in fear that something bad May happen.

Please people, be sad, send warm thoughts and prayers. But do not be scared that the same will happen to you.

When a car accident happens do you stay away from that highway forever?

Incomudro

I know alligators work their way into Disney property and are there to a certain extent.
Never really imagined the scenario of one taking a child though.
Simply awful.
My sons and I walked along the edges of Caribbean Beach and Beach Club.
I was more concerned of rattlesnakes - and stopped my sons, when they went to walk through a stand of tall grasses at Caribbean Beach.

zooey

Yup, people want to shut down the Disney watersystem or sue them or blame the parents but in the last 50 years there have been only 26 deaths by alligator nationwide. Compare that to being struck by lightning which happens about 31 to 49 times a year in the US (depending on which statistics you use) or 150-250 deaths in a 50 year period.

The rarity of this needs to be emphasized. It's truly a freak accident.

Figment2005

The difference between the current situation and the example pictures that have been posted of children being near the water is the time of day. This happened at night. During the day the gators are A. Less active around the lake because of the boats and B. Have a much higher chance of being spotted while approaching. At night the lake is quieter and you CANNOT see it approaching until it's too late.

FrankLapidus

No the lighting is not turned off. Maybe they were at the Luau Cove beach, but still, it isn't pitch black.

I thought so. And thanks for the photo in your later post.

Leads me to wonder why, if there are well-lit areas in which to watch the fireworks from the beach, would you instead go to an area that is "pitch black with no lighting". Disney really needs to provide information to guests arriving at these hotels about the habitat in Florida, especially to tourists travelling from overseas.

21stamps

I am so sad and sick over this story. But my god people-- for once can it just be accepted that it was a total freak incident. STOP placing blame.

They weren't bad parents. I'm not a bad parent for letting my kid play in the sand at the waters edge. None of the million + people who have done the same are bad parents.

2 parents just happen to be extremely unlucky to have such a rare thing happen to them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom