From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaG

I woke up to see this and read through most of this post.
-It's an incredibly sad story.
- Although an illusion, I know people tend to feel safe at Disney (not looking to start an argument, it's just an observation)
-We have stayed at several of the Marriott properties that also have lakes and they are completely fenced off with alligator signs.
I expect the same thing to be happening at Disney soon.

JohnD

When the resorts were built, the alligators were not a problem. I am old enough to remember when swimming was allowed at all of the beaches on property. The loss of habitat in the surrounding areas, among other things, has led to the proliferation of gators on developed property - not just WDW, but all over the state. The beaches were built before there was a problem.

As others have mentioned, the gators avoid people -unless people have been feeding them.

We had a gator that lived in the retention pond at my office complex. We never bothered it and it never bothered us. Until. . . Idiot co-workers started calling it over and threw bread into the pond. The fish and turtles would eat it up and the gator would sink to the bottom and open its mouth. Eventually, it came up on land. Our division director had enough and called FWC to have it hauled off, for the reasons you stated.

9319_139858895266_5893663_n.jpg
257879_10150186718375267_6306086_o.jpg

Last edited:

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
It's a little disappointing to see some comments on this thread that like so many others online have jumped to wild speculation, conspiracy-esque statements, and claims without notion. I'm well aware of the rumor theme on the board, but... If the reporting pans out, it looks like a tragic incident where the family did follow the signs.

When I used to golf in Florida when living there, I had many alligator encounters. Once in JAX, I was on the course by our home, took the cart out, and was roadblocked by no less than a dozen rather large gators. A tad bit terrifying to say the least. If there's water in Florida, there are gators. I've always been shocked by people swimming in lakes and other waterways in the state.

Amen. So much reckless speculation and so called "experts" just tossing whatever crap at the wall to sound important.

Right now, I'll focus on the search and recovery and the suffering of this family.

Gringrinngghost

I woke up to see this and read through most of this post.
-It's an incredibly sad story.
- Although an illusion, I know people tend to feel safe at Disney (not looking to start an argument, it's just an observation)
-We have stayed at several of the Marriott properties that also have lakes and they are completely fenced off with alligator signs.
I expect the same thing to be happening at Disney soon.
I think they will step up the amount of CMs around the lakes.

SoupBone

It may be impulsive, but after watching this unfold live last night, I still can't wrap my mind around this and will be cancelling my upcoming Disney vacation, which is only 2 weeks away. It's not because I believe that Disney is at fault, I just know that it's all I would be thinking about while I was there. I simply cannot comprehend what the parents are going through right now. My thoughts will be with them for some time. This is truly horrible, and I actually had nightmares last night. I haven't had a nightmare since I've been about 10. This hits so close to home.

Bolt

look for the end of any beach, and fences and railings along the water coming soon... it would the the only way to deal with this...
Or just have security patrol those areas after dark and prohibit guests from being close to the water

21stamps

It's a little disappointing to see some comments on this thread that like so many others online have jumped to wild speculation, conspiracy-esque statements, and claims without notion. I'm well aware of the rumor theme on the board, but... If the reporting pans out, it looks like a tragic incident where the family did follow the signs.

When I used to golf in Florida when living there, I had many alligator encounters. Once in JAX, I was on the course by our home, took the cart out, and was roadblocked by no less than a dozen rather large gators. A tad bit terrifying to say the least. If there's water in Florida, there are gators. I've always been shocked by people swimming in lakes and other waterways in the state.
Because when you live there you don't stop your life because a gator could be around. I have friends who live in Weston and Parkland and other places that I wouldn't live- solely because they are built on the Everglades and yes they have more gators there than the people east of I95. But like I said, people move there and are totally fine.
But you can't stop going in the ocean because a shark may be around, or walk by a canal bc a gator may run out. In Costa Rica more surfers die or are attacked by crocodiles more often than sharks, but yet people flock there to surf.

This would have been horrible wherever it happened, but a family on a Disney vacation makes it seem even more heart breaking.

21stamps

Forgive me if this has been asked, but why on Earth was the child allowed to play in the lagoon water instead of being taken to the pool that is specifically set up for that?
. Here is my child playing at the edge of Seven Seas Lagoon during our Poly stay last fall. Yes, we swam in the pool, but also took some time on the beach, we knew you can't swim in the water. I don't think any parent would assume that they were placing their child in danger. If the child was this distance, instead of 1 foot in, the gator still would have been able to attack.
image.jpeg

ULPO46

Question: How long has disney been doing catch and release fishing?
That I'm aware of since construction began on the property let's not forget that a great deal of said cow pasture and orange groves where situated on still swampland. Disney couldn't plant all those trees that we see today. Much of the property is still alligator habitat. It's just guest rarely see them. I remember hearing stories from my grandfather about seeing big gators while construction was commencing near what would be the MK and World Drive.

JohnD

May I remind people that the child wasn't swimming but splashing his feet in the water. I agree with others that the family was just in the Disney bubble and the last thing on their minds was an alligator attack. Yes, I know people in Florida know better. But they're from Nebraska. There is no blame here but a horrible tragedy. I pray for the child's safety but fear the worst. The family's vacation just became a nightmare that will be with them the rest of their lives.

DisneyDreamer08

Forgive me if this has been asked, but why on Earth was the child allowed to play in the lagoon water instead of being taken to the pool that is specifically set up for that?

From what I've read, there was a movie playing down on the beach. The family was watching the movie, and when the 2 year old started to get restless, the dad started walking around with him.

Laura

Premium Member
. Here is my child playing at the edge of Seven Seas Lagoon during our Poly stay last fall. Yes, we swam in the pool, but also took some time on the beach, we knew you can't swim in the water. I don't think any parent would assume that they were placing their child in danger. If the child was this distance, instead of 1 foot in, the gator still would have been able to attack. View attachment 146009

Exactly. Who looks at a picture like that and thinks "what terrible parents letting your kid play in the sand next to the water at a beach resort".

Anyone who blames the parents in this situation needs to be slapped.

DisneyWorld30th

Question for the experts - If the child was not in the water and playing in the sand, would the gator come out of the water to grab the child? Or only because the child's legs were in the water, the gator attached? I have certainly seen gators come out of the water. I am just not sure if it is to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom