From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveeeeed

Thank you, at my age it's very hard to not think about my own grandsons. It's not rational, and I hope to work throw it, right now my emotions are too raw.
You remind me so much of my own grandmother, thoughtful, caring, and always thinking about her grandchildren. Like has been said, there's not much risk of something like this happening again for a very long time if ever. Enjoy your vacation and do what you should while you're at WDW, and not worry. It is sad though how it had to take a child's life for Disney to realize that something had to be done, I'll continue to pray for him and his family, but there's not much reason to worry if you are being smart, and cautious.

21stamps

I completely agree. My mom has literally gone to Polynesian front-desk/Concierge in the past telling them they need to post warnings about snakes (that was after we saw one when we were walking out of the Luau Dinner Show). No swimming does not have any relation to gators as much as it does snakes.
We had a black snake in our room at Poly. You also see them on the sidewalks... As well as several other places in WDW. There's nothing that can be done about it.
Thank you, at my age it's very hard to not think about my own grandsons. It's not rational, and I hope to work throw it, right now my emotions are too raw.
I understand. I think this was the first news story that I literally cried over. I looked at the recent photos of my own child standing in that lagoon and couldn't even imagine. No one should experience that pain, I can't even fathom it.

Daveeeeed

We had a black snake in our room at Poly. You also see them on the sidewalks... As well as several other places in WDW. There's nothing that can be done about it.

I understand. I think this was the first news story that I literally cried over. I looked at the recent photos of my own child standing in that lagoon and couldn't even imagine. No one should experience that pain, I can't even fathom it.
There should be warnings for the water for snakes and alligators like they have had at the Shades of Green and now have at GF... Of course you can't remove every threat, but common sense stuff like warning the public, and relocation, and even killing if an overpopulation is present are ways to counter gators and snakes.

Daveeeeed

I understand that no one wanted that to happen, and I actually cried a bit too, but then why are you defending Disney so much by not having common sense warnings? It may not have been avoided, but more than likely if you see alligator signs you are not going to let your child go into that water if you have common sense. Common sense though is not knowing a gator would be in there, that is some knowledge you gain by being familiar with something, something which most people are not.

betty rose

My point exactly. It hits home when you have done the same thing.

21stamps

PLEASE READ THIS: I need everyone to understand this. @raven @21stamps
If a ride malfunctions and someone dies it is a freak incident, but you still can sue and get millions because Disney invited you to do it, and if there was a known error then you can win even more. If you the guest jump into another vehicle it is not Disney's fault, and you shouldn't sue or get any money IF THERE ARE WARNINGS to not stand or stick your hands, arms feet, and legs outside of the vehicle.
The Gator attacking the kid is a freak incident, but Disney still invited people to go onto that beach, and there were known gators in the water. If you the guest was to not listen to a sign (like no swimming) and they were swimming, then odds are they wouldn't have a case, but there was nothing warning of not basically putting your feet in the water due to alligators. Therefor they didn't do anything that they shouldn't have, and they can rightfully sue because of lack of warnings. If you guys still don't understand please understand that if there is not a warning for something known it is easy to sue someone and win. Same for plane crashes, automobile airbags with children in the front seat, and choking hazards on toys etc. Not to mention there are gator signs across the street at the shades of green, and Disney basically acknowledged that they needed it by putting it up in direct response.
I'm not arguing that they can't sue. I'm sure there are a million attorneys contacting them.

I'm saying, in my opinion, I don't think someone should sue in this scenario. I wouldn't. I don't think any of my friends or family would. Regardless of if anyone is from Florida.
From what you described the environment at Shades of Green would be more expected to have alligators on land/close to land than the Lagoon Beach.

I don't think this family will sue.

That is my opinion. We all have one.

surfsupdon

I always associated the No Swimming signs on the beaches at all the Resorts with the high volume of boat traffic. Never gators, snakes, parasites, or creatures. But boat traffic.

Daveeeeed

I'm not arguing that they can't sue. I'm sure there are a million attorneys contacting them.

I'm saying, in my opinion, I don't think someone should sue in this scenario. I wouldn't. I don't think any of my friends or family would. Regardless of if anyone is from Florida.
From what you described the environment at Shades of Green would be more expected to have alligators on land/close to land than the Lagoon Beach.

I don't think this family will sue.

That is my opinion. We all have one.
True, and I do apologize for going excessive on this, but I think by having an environment that doesn't look like a gator habitat when Disney knew gators were in there is all the more reason to have signs up. I don't know if they will sue or not, but I think that they have every right to. Nothing will repay for them losing their baby, but millions of dollars that they deserve in this scenario is a no brainer to go and get. Disney knows it was at least partly their fault for not having warnings, so I think they would be more than willing to settle out of court.

Daveeeeed

I always associated the No Swimming signs on the beaches at all the Resorts with the high volume of boat traffic. Never gators, snakes, parasites, or creatures. But boat traffic.
Saying a warning before you get on a ride like back issues covers any back issues, but No Swimming does not mean including alligators, or even boats, that is just personal interpretation. That is why when swimming has nothing to do with gators, or just going in inch deep water you have to notify people of a threat there may be.

21stamps

I understand that no one wanted that to happen, and I actually cried a bit too, but then why are you defending Disney so much by not having common sense warnings? It may not have been avoided, but more than likely if you see alligator signs you are not going to let your child go into that water if you have common sense. Common sense though is not knowing a gator would be in there, that is some knowledge you gain by being familiar with something, something which most people are not.
Because to me, like I've said probably 309 times now, I let my child do the same thing. Not after dark, but @ 8ish.
I didn't even think of danger even when yes, I know possibly it could exist. I also knew that we really weren't supposed to be in the water. But- I translate "no swimming" as do not enter. If I put a no swimming sign next to my pool I assume it's understood that you shouldn't get in. Still, I let my son walk in that lake.
I understand people may interpret that differently and I'm not saying this family was wrong. Regardless of what they thought it meant.

It's not defending Disney. It's defending the fact of life that horrible things happen.

There's too much to try to cover so I can't post it, but I wish you could have read my fb page that day. My cover photo is kiddo in there... Has been for months. Friends commented, one apologized for walking my son near the lake while I was getting drinks. All I can say is I pray for these people. But I don't think a lawsuit will ease their pain in anyway.

21stamps

True, and I do apologize for going excessive on this, but I think by having an environment that doesn't look like a gator habitat when Disney knew gators were in there is all the more reason to have signs up. I don't know if they will sue or not, but I think that they have every right to. Nothing will repay for them losing their baby, but millions of dollars that they deserve in this scenario is a no brainer to go and get. Disney knows it was at least partly their fault for not having warnings, so I think they would be more than willing to settle out of court.
Oh I just read this after I posted my 5 paragraph book above. Lol

Daveeeeed

Because to me, like I've said probably 309 times now, I let my child do the same thing. Not after dark, but @ 8ish.
I didn't even think of danger even when yes, I know possibly it could exist. I also knew that we really weren't supposed to be in the water. But- I translate "no swimming" as do not enter. If I put a no swimming sign next to my pool I assume it's understood that you shouldn't get in. Still, I let my son walk in that lake.
I understand people may interpret that differently and I'm not saying this family was wrong. Regardless of what they thought it meant.

It's not defending Disney. It's defending the fact of life that horrible things happen.

There's too much to try to cover so I can't post it, but I wish you could have read my fb page that day. My cover photo is kiddo in there. Friends commented, one apologized for walking my son near the lake while I was getting drinks. All I can say is I pray for these people. But I don't think a lawsuit will ease their pain in anyway.
Yeah they'll still never get over it, but it is the least Disney can do as they can't bring him back. All I'm saying is that Disney was partly to blame. It is much safer in the day than at night for sure, but do not enter water, do not feed or go near alligators signs might of saved that kid's life.

Horizons1

So you think a baby's life is worth 10 million? The money is meant to compensate as best as it can, not bring joy. If you really had a heart you would never forget.
Not really. A life is irreplaceable. But what I said, and you would know this if you heart hadn't bled all over your screen therefore imparing your vision, is that 10 million is going to take good care of them for the rest of their lives. Perhaps I have to spell that out for you just like how we now have to spell out gators and snakes live in a swamp so stay out of the water.

Daveeeeed

Not really. A life is irreplaceable. But what I said, and you would know this if you heart hadn't bled all over your screen therefore imparing your vision, is that 10 million is going to take good care of them for the rest of their lives. Perhaps I have to spell that out for you just like how we now have to spell out gators and snakes live in a swamp so stay out of the water.
10 Million will never repay for someone's life that was my point, but it is the best Disney can physically do. Seven Seas Lagoon does not look like a swamp it has a beach. I have known for years that gators were in Seven Seas Lagoon, but it is unacceptable that Disney not have any warning until something bad happened. Disney probably just thought the odds are too slim. This is the second attack so far. Sorry about that though.

sedati

So, here's a tip for those who may not already know it or haven't grown up near water:
If you take a small child to any sizeable body of water, you want to be holding their hand and the parent should be standing by their side so that the child is between you and the shore, not you and the water.
Think of it the same way you would if you needed to walk a child along a busy street. Cars are obviously dangerous, but water is all about the dangers hidden within. Wildlife is one thing (I've always been told to fear jellyfish which are so hard to spot) but there is also uneven terrain and slippery rocks that could easily send you tumbling, sharp objects such as glass or broken shells not to mention any sort of trash (needles!) I have personally experienced undertow and it was terrifying how fast it happened and how far it took me. Most of the dangers of the water can happen just as easily if you are swimming or wading or standing about in water.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Being killed by an alligator is also a freak occurrence. Only 28 people have been killed by alligators in the entire United States in the last 40!years. 100 times less likely than being killed by being struck by lightning. And surely being killed by lightning is a freak occurrence.

We all talk about this being some 'one in a billion' kind of thing... but its because people are talking about human fatalities. Humans are still pretty damn big compared to most alligator meals... so fatalities are pretty rare.

Alligator attacks though, are a bit more frequent...
061516-AlligatorBitesMobile2.png

I couldn't find stats on attacks on pets... which are far more likely to be the target of an alligator... but you will find plenty of stories all over about pets getting bit or killed by gators.

But every pet attack story reads just like this thread... people thinking it would never happen to them... people letting their small animals near the water's edge...

""I always feared this, but I never thought it would happen," Salvatore Campanile said."
""Alligators are predators," Hord said. "That's what puts dogs at such great risks. A dog is just a small mammal, and they have eaten small mammals for years."

He said people should be extra careful when letting children and small pets play in South Florida waterways and their banks."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/p...n-beach-alligator-ate-dog-20150402-story.html

"The Sunrise homeowner was walking the dog, named Jessie, behind their home when the dog went into a lake and was eaten by the alligator, Florida Fish and Wildlife Spokesperson Liz Barraco said.
“She ran around these cattails here and apparently right into the alligator,” said Zack Byers, Jessie’s owner."
"“The biggest thing is the kids,” Byers said. “The dog is 50 pounds. A small child is not even 50 pounds. It wouldn’t have been much for that alligator to grab a small child.”
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Gator-Eats-Dog-in-Sunrise-287814801.html

21stamps

We all talk about this being some 'one in a billion' kind of thing... but its because people are talking about human fatalities. Humans are still pretty damn big compared to most alligator meals... so fatalities are pretty rare.

Alligator attacks though, are a bit more frequent...
View attachment 146756

I couldn't find stats on attacks on pets... which are far more likely to be the target of an alligator... but you will find plenty of stories all over about pets getting bit or killed by gators.

But every pet attack story reads just like this thread... people thinking it would never happen to them... people letting their small animals near the water's edge...

""I always feared this, but I never thought it would happen," Salvatore Campanile said."
""Alligators are predators," Hord said. "That's what puts dogs at such great risks. A dog is just a small mammal, and they have eaten small mammals for years."

He said people should be extra careful when letting children and small pets play in South Florida waterways and their banks."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/p...n-beach-alligator-ate-dog-20150402-story.html

"The Sunrise homeowner was walking the dog, named Jessie, behind their home when the dog went into a lake and was eaten by the alligator, Florida Fish and Wildlife Spokesperson Liz Barraco said.
“She ran around these cattails here and apparently right into the alligator,” said Zack Byers, Jessie’s owner."
"“The biggest thing is the kids,” Byers said. “The dog is 50 pounds. A small child is not even 50 pounds. It wouldn’t have been much for that alligator to grab a small child.”
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Gator-Eats-Dog-in-Sunrise-287814801.html

This is all true.

Let's put it in perspective-

20 Million People Live in Florida.

Over 90 Million People Visit Florida Per Year.

So out of Over 110 Million People in 2015-
9 were attacked by an alligator.

Be aware, but it isn't cause for alarm.

PhotoDave219

I think the biggest issue is that the habitat has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom